Post Match Discussion - Round 17

Demonland

One of the worst performances from a Melbourne team on the MCG.

Yes - we had some debacles in the past few years but we're supposed to have a good coach and some players now and we surely have gone backwards in the last two weeks.

• Like 1

Players looking tired,

we seriously need to find a way to score a few goals, I understand the defence first plan, but we are not going to win games kicking 4 or 5 goals

• Like 1

I hope there are some brave decisions made at the trade table this year, some players who have been around a while just aren't cutting it imo

Edited by Mike Nolan

Positives:

-Probably would have been 186 mk 2 under Neeld.

-Jack Viney.

-Aidan Riley showing a bit.

Negatives:

-The usual standard of umpiring we've come to expect.

-Pretty much every player aside from the two mentioned above. Special mention to Jamar's ruck work.

-Bernie Vince's haircut.

• Like 2

I really hope Jack Viney finds the time to have a coffee with Joel Selwood, I reckon that's the sort of player he will become in time

he will imo be the next captain of Melbourne

I really hope Jack Viney finds the time to have a coffee with Joel Selwood, I reckon that's the sort of player he will become in time

He doesn't need a coffee with Joel, he is well on his way. It's the others I'd be more worried about.

• Like 3

It's simple.
The playing list is tiring. The playing list is trying to an extent but they aren't up to it ability wise. As was said earlier by my good self, the class of 2008-2011 is not going to be the generation to take us forward and it's time to realize that now and move on.
It's not a case of blokes being hauled across the coals for not going in hard enough. There needs to be trades (something I have been saying even when we won those four) and delistings. Maybe not in the vicinity of ten or more but put frankly, we just aren't good enough.
We have a problem. Roos has identified this problem (as he said before today's game) and we will move forward by trying to rectify this situation.

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

He'll definitely receive a few more frees if Selwood mentors him.

• Like 1

it all depends on whether having coffee with a player makes you as good as him

haven't seen a star at Melbourne this century and then some

He doesn't need a coffee with Joel, he is well on his way. It's the others I'd be more worried about.

Yeah, it's a little bit of a worry some of the obvious problems some of our senior players have

I hope there are some brave decisions made at the trade table this year, some players who have been around a while just aren't cutting it imo

Yep but the lack of heart shown by the current lot makes us surely the least desirable destination for any professional sportsman in the world. Who the hell would agree to be traded here? We now have a fantastic coach with a proven record and even he can't get these blokes to display any pride on a regular basis. The fact that some still find excuses for this crap (e.g. coming back from Darwin, tiring due to a demanding season where they have actually been expected to try and compete for extended periods of matches) doesn't help. We have a culture of excusing sub standard efforts and that culture is still being fostered by many connected to the club. End of rant. For now anyway.

I punched out before half time today, it's just too painful

Thats about 50 minutes more than I watched or listened to. We are just too predictably average and ordinary against anyone outside the bottom 6 and have been for 7 years now... Tigers and Bombers the only exceptions for some reason.

Jared Rivers has become a whinging, miserable arseh0le.

As for Melbourne, the less said the better.

Thank god I'm off overseas tomorrow. So glad I plan my holiday to make sure I don't miss any home games!

In: sunshine and cocktails

Out: watching another loss

It's simple.

The playing list is tiring. The playing list is trying to an extent but they aren't up to it ability wise. As was said earlier by my good self, the class of 2008-2011 is not going to be the generation to take us forward and it's time to realize that now and move on.

It's not a case of blokes being hauled across the coals for not going in hard enough. There needs to be trades (something I have been saying even when we won those four) and delistings. Maybe not in the vicinity of ten or more but put frankly, we just aren't good enough.

We have a problem. Roos has identified this problem (as he said before today's game) and we will move forward by trying to rectify this situation.

I agree with you on the 10 or more.... but only on the more part. The list is so devoid of decent AFL talent it will take a monumental clean out over the next 2 pre season drafts to even make us competitive with teams up to about 8th or so on the ladder.

Anything less will simply see us playing "marginally" more competitive footy for maybe 6 to 8 wins at best but never making the finals.

The time has come to move most of this list on. We've pretty much ran through the entire list so far this season and with a few exceptions like JKH/Kent/Salem showing glimmers of hope and Tyson/Viney/Vince starring early and in patches, we've seen very little from anyone else other than the half dozen seniors who turn up most weeks.

Frawley turnover king. Must go and hopefully we get some compo. Aidan Riley's free kick into the fifty that he couldn't decide who to kick to then was tackled resulting a turnover was an absolute shocker. Jack Watts is still a schoolboy and plays in a gutless fashion. Dawes was pretty pathetic today. Geelong are bigger, faster, more talented, good at hoodwinking umpires and actually want to win the game. Viney and jamar, perhaps Howe our only players today. The rest wanted to be at home by the fire sitting on a potty.

Jared Rivers has become a whinging, miserable arseh0le.

As for Melbourne, the less said the better.

Thank god I'm off overseas tomorrow. So glad I plan my holiday to make sure I don't miss any home games!

In: sunshine and cocktails

Out: watching another loss

I've got three weeks til I get away from this [censored]. Pumped I'll miss the Hawthorn match but the only thing to look forward to this year is Hogan and I'll miss that.

• Like 1