Potential future at Melbourne University

Axis of Bob

It's not going to pan out at all because it's not going anywhere, it was about facilities. I would hope the management of the MFC are smarter than thinking the way forward is to tap into international uni students. It's laughable.

10s of thousands live in Melbourne....fail to see how it is laughable to try to build the brand to a large chunk of the population living in Melbourne.

• Like 1

Can just imagine how the college girls and Demon draftees would be all smiles about this!!

Personally, I think that AAMI park (Gosch's paddock) is perfect. Close to the Tan for running, ready made training facilities (shared with Victory and Storm), easy to get to for the public, and within the shadow of the mighty MCG.

Given Melbourne has recently moved from Junction oval (St Kilda), is training once per week in an emerging distant suburb (Casey), and has only been in its current HQ for about 5 years, I'd see further plans of moving as unnecessarily unsettling.

My two bobs.

• Like 1

Wow. The Kim Duffy line was remarkably stupid. h_h couldn't top that.

I kinda took it as a light hearted joke, with more subtlety/humour than ever demonstrated by <can't type it>.

We've only just moved to the state of the art AAMI Park. Is there a need to move so soon? If PJ is involved in this, which I'm sure he is, I'll back it, but it does sound a little random.

Cant see any tangible benefits to this move. Melb Uni are a bureaucratic nightmare.

The facilities would require significant investment and they are not easily accessible by anything other than tram from the CBD or Brunswick/Coburg/Carlton.

IMHO most students would be unaware of an oval within Melbourne Uni.

Just my 2 cents worth

• Like 1

10s of thousands live in Melbourne....fail to see how it is laughable to try to build the brand to a large chunk of the population living in Melbourne.

And out of those 10s of thousands you want to appeal to melb uni international students. They do not account for "a large chunk" of Melbourne's population.

Can just imagine how the college girls and Demon draftees would be all smiles about this!!

Personally, I think that AAMI park (Gosch's paddock) is perfect. Close to the Tan for running, ready made training facilities (shared with Victory and Storm), easy to get to for the public, and within the shadow of the mighty MCG.

Given Melbourne has recently moved from Junction oval (St Kilda), is training once per week in an emerging distant suburb (Casey), and has only been in its current HQ for about 5 years, I'd see further plans of moving as unnecessarily unsettling.

My two bobs.

You fail to see the bigger picture, international uni students will all get on board!! *jokes

Geez Ethan and Beelzy. Did either one of you date a Chinese student and get yer heart broken or something? You two seem pretty dirty on that population and seem pretty willing to go on and on about something which has been acknowledged on here by a few (myself included) as a non-starter.

Geez Ethan and Beelzy. Did either one of you date a Chinese student and get yer heart broken or something? You two seem pretty dirty on that population and seem pretty willing to go on and on about something which has been acknowledged on here by a few (myself included) as a non-starter.

Are all international students Chinese?

It has nothing to do with being "dirty on that population." That's just a stupid comment.

And I've simply been replying to questions asked of me or people who have quoted my posts, it goes both ways.

But above all, don't turn this into a race thing, you're better than that.

Edited by Ethan Tremblay

Strangely Ive said no such thing.. Youre no better than a troll arent you

Go take your piddly crap elsewhere

Cant see any tangible benefits to this move. Melb Uni are a bureaucratic nightmare.

And dealing with any council is better?

Trust me: if there is a genuine benefit in it for the uni -- research facilities, improved sporting facilities and resources -- they'll be all over it.

• Like 1

I kinda took it as a light hearted joke, with more subtlety/humour than ever demonstrated by <can't type it>.

How is it funny to suggest that players are going to struggle because of disturbed schoolgirls coming to training at a university during the day looking to have sexual relationships with them? It smears women generally ('types'), smears the players (that they'd be, as a group, out for illegal and amoral sex with a child), smears the Uni...

The more subtle level is that the Uni is full of attractive girls that are going to be interested in rooting players and that the players are going to struggle with that. Logically, the players are in that environment, as much as it exists, already. We know that sexual universe for AFL players can be...different. training location really doesn't do much to influence that. So the premise that changing locations will somehow increase this is forehead-whacking daft.

And it get's Kim's name wrong.

So it is dumb, inaccurate and lacks humor. All in one or two sentences. H-H could not beat it.

And out of those 10s of thousands you want to appeal to melb uni international students. They do not account for "a large chunk" of Melbourne's population.

Almost 55% of students living and studying in the CBD are international.

You really think it is laughable to try market to 55% of the young student demographic in melbourne?

Edited by olisik

Ridiculous. Only a very small number of internationals would go to more than one AFL game. Very small. They just have no interest. And you think it's worth moving training base for? Sure, as part of a balanced marketing approach all AFL clubs will make some sort of pitch to Uni students, but the main financial supporter base lies elsewhere. A link with Melb Uni for sport science or research reasons is a great idea, but not as a training, administrative or supporter base.

My two bobs.

Well put jimbo. We have good facilities now. Edited by Moonshadow

You really think it is laughable to try market to 55% of the young student demographic in melbourne?

And to misquote Ron Burgundy, "60% of the time, you are right every time".

• Like 2

B59 - I can assure you, having access to the research side of a university is a lot easier when it's on campus (or even a walk from "A" Block to "J Block"), than having to go from one side of the CBD to the other. I know it doesn't make sense, but that's how they operate!

The trade off would be for UofM to have a presence in AAMI Park, but room and facilities wouldn't be anywhere near as good as what they have at their "home".

http://www.australianuniversities.com.au/directory/student-numbers/

I suggest you read the above link re your 55%

It seems you plucked this out of thin air.

It's closer to 20%

• Like 1

You're data is nice, but it doesn't actually address the '55%' claim that olisik made.

It addresses it quite clearly actually. Where he states 55% the true figure is closer to 20% as per the researched table.

No it doesn't. You listed it by university. The claim made was people who live and study in the CBD.

I'm not weighing in one way or the other. I just hate it when people don't read properly.

Edited by Axis of Bob

You're data is nice, but it doesn't actually address the '55%' claim that olisik made.[/quote

It addresses it quite clearly actually. Where he states 55% the true figure is closer to 20% as per the researched table.

http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/CommunityServices/ForYouth/InternationalStudents/Pages/Internationalstudents.aspx

First sentence.

Edited by olisik