• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Match Preview and Team Selection - Round 15

Demonland

Agree. I saw the game. Sam Blease did look AFL standard. Barry and Nicho definitely not.

Blease is by far the most overrated player on our list. His first half was good on the weekend but average for the rest of it. That said he played as a forward/mid but when he played as a forward he put zero forward pressure and is just flat lazy when he doesn't have the football. Role players are necessary and at the moment as had been the case much of his career Blease is a one way, non team orientated player. That said, cross and Mckenzie are defensive mids and Blease is definitely not one of these so Barry and nicho get put in the squad. Kent, Salem, JKH and resting mids get the small forward role ahead of Blease

Barry played as a tagger the last few weeks, whilst not attracting massive sums of the footy the fact that he is in the best and also playing his role for the team puts him ahead of Blease.

Nicho was due, and whilst his disposal is still iffy the fact that he can actually play as a defender/tagger is the reason he can play.

I'd assume Terlich and Nicholson will be the ins. I'm really not a Nicholson fan but the only other option (given we're replacing two running players) is Barry and I just don't think one good game as a tagger from Barry is enough to get a senior game. So I'm resigned to seeing Nicholson again. He's going to have to be a lot better than he was on the weekend for Casey if we're going to win.

Blease is by far the most overrated player on our list. His first half was good on the weekend but average for the rest of it. That said he played as a forward/mid but when he played as a forward he put zero forward pressure and is just flat lazy when he doesn't have the football. Role players are necessary and at the moment as had been the case much of his career Blease is a one way, non team orientated player. That said, cross and Mckenzie are defensive mids and Blease is definitely not one of these so Barry and nicho get put in the squad. Kent, Salem, JKH and resting mids get the small forward role ahead of Blease

Barry played as a tagger the last few weeks, whilst not attracting massive sums of the footy the fact that he is in the best and also playing his role for the team puts him ahead of Blease.

Nicho was due, and whilst his disposal is still iffy the fact that he can actually play as a defender/tagger is the reason he can play.

By far the most overrated player is a bit of a stretch as very few here rate him at all.

He was recruited as a quick line breaker, one of those 70 meter players they talk about. What he has got that very few have is genuine straight line speed, so what do we do with him, for the last couple of years we play him in a small defensive forward role where he spends most of the time running away from our goals.

He has been moved up the ground the last 4 or 5 weeks and has been in the best for just about all of them.

As a wing / half back / high half forward he is at least he is heading towards the goals and looks a heap better.

Will be interesting to see who gets Libba, i'd say Grimes might get the job, or maybe Rohan Bail

if Barry or nicho come in they will get him. Grimes needs to stay at HB and bail needs to be able run up and down the ground and link up

My issue with bringing in Nicho, is that last week turnovers cost us the game.

Nicho is the king of turnovers.

I have no problem with those not selected. Michie just came back from injury, and Blease has been a disappointment for years. I have no issue with Roos taking a hard line approach with him, it's the only way he'll learn.

• Like 1

Who tags Libba? Maybe that's why Nicho is in?

It's always a fast track at Etihad and we aint that quick on paper. Maybe that's why Barry is in?

Roughhead out and Minson rucking solo. Maybe that gives Gawn some currency (stretch their backs and ruck relief)?

Certainly Riley to me looks like he needs a pre-season and to find a yard. Salem could do with a rest and Geogiou isn't multi-dimensional enough to get a start this week (unless one of Dunn or TMac has a niggle).

That makes my bench Barry, Nicholson, Gawn and Terlich with Barry starting as the sub.

• Like 1

IMO, stop Libba and we stop the doggies, without Griffen and Cooney i don't see too many matchwinners for them, and their defence looks light on again,

IMO, stop Libba and we stop the doggies, without Griffen and Cooney i don't see too many matchwinners for them, and their defence looks light on again,

Don't know how well Libba can be tagged, due to the fact that it isn't the outside ball the he harms teams from but rather his contested stoppage work.

• Like 1

Don't know how well Libba can be tagged, due to the fact that it isn't the outside ball the he harms teams from but rather his contested stoppage work.

he just needs to be really tightly checked on the inside, which i reckon probably only Nathan Jones could do, but then we'd lose our best ball winner so it's hard

IF you look at the VFL player review it's pretty clear that they are rewarding the people who are playing their role as instructed. Barry only had eight touches on the weekend but he was given a tagging job on one of their better mids and shut him out of the game. I'd say he's in with a chance of getting Jordie's spot this weekend. Likewise Georgiou did a good job playing fullback. Blease on the other hand, despite a good possession count got slammed a bit for his inconsistent defensive efforts. Gawn had 20+ touches and plenty of hitouts but isn't in consideration because his man got away from him and kicked a couple of goals.

Of those included, I back Terlich to be the first choice, and then either Nicholson or Barry to take the tagger's job. I doubt we'll see all five get a game.

Blease only had 6 touches after half time.. Sound familar?

I think Obviously Terlich in, riley out for Barry.

No way will Nicho play. He is making up the numbers as an emergency. Terlich is a definite and Georgious name has been put up as a reward for a better game for a casey. Maxxy is the interesting one - to see if they go tall this week.

they might seriously consider Maxy, as doggies defence is fairly short without roughead

another option would be to bring in Georgiou and push Garlo forward

• Like 1

he just needs to be really tightly checked on the inside, which i reckon probably only Nathan Jones could do, but then we'd lose our best ball winner so it's hard

Yeh, playing jones on him (as has been done throughout the year) and giving Barry or nicho the role on Macrae is probably how it will pan out.

That said it is damn near impossible to stop Libba because his hand (which I think half the time is a throw) are just so quick when he gets the footy

Yeh, playing jones on him (as has been done throughout the year) and giving Barry or nicho the role on Macrae is probably how it will pan out.

That said it is damn near impossible to stop Libba because his hand (which I think half the time is a throw) are just so quick when he gets the footy

Wonder if he has inherited his Dads squirrel grip.

• Like 1

We've all read what Brett Allison had to say about Dom Barry's form for Casey last weekend, and today Nathan Jones has chipped in with:

"He's (Barry) really athletic, he's got a great running capacity and he's a pretty good ball user and he really loves the contest as well, ............ He's pretty competitive and it'll be really exciting if he gets his opportunity."

I must admit that I have seen very little of Dom, but he's obviously done what has been asked of him in recent times. On that basis alone he's probably earned a call-up, at least more-so than the likes of Nicho, Blease, et al . I say give Dom him an opportunity. The others have had their chances and failed to flatter, or (apparently) to overcome their shortcomings..

Edited by Deeoldfart
  • Like 1

Who tags Libba? Maybe that's why Nicho is in?

It's always a fast track at Etihad and we aint that quick on paper. Maybe that's why Barry is in?

Roughhead out and Minson rucking solo. Maybe that gives Gawn some currency (stretch their backs and ruck relief)?

Certainly Riley to me looks like he needs a pre-season and to find a yard. Salem could do with a rest and Geogiou isn't multi-dimensional enough to get a start this week (unless one of Dunn or TMac has a niggle).

That makes my bench Barry, Nicholson, Gawn and Terlich with Barry starting as the sub.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw N.Jones go to Libba.. We saw earlier in the year jones go to murphy & ablett. I don't think we have much choice, if Barry or Nicholson came in I couldn't see them going with Libba in and around the contest, his a bull. I think jones is he only logically match up, likes it in tough and maybe that would break Pickens tag and then he can try and get Libba going the other way.

• Like 2

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw N.Jones go to Libba.. We saw earlier in the year jones go to murphy & ablett. I don't think we have much choice, if Barry or Nicholson came in I couldn't see them going with Libba in and around the contest, his a bull. I think jones is he only logically match up, likes it in tough and maybe that would break Pickens tag and then he can try and get Libba going the other way.

might very well be. Our choices are somewhat limited. Roos ( happy birthday by the way ) I feel would rather stay defensive and lock him down as much as can than the other side of Jones which is sorta creative.. Less is more so to speak.

anybody else got a terrible feeling about the next 9 weeks?

why ?

why ?

- pretty darn ordinary performances the last 3 weeks (in major parts of games at least)

- a couple of important injuries (and always the danger of more, of course)

- a fairly young side, running out of gas a bit, had a lot of hype around them etc

- a very tough draw to come

after r23 we might not be feeling as good about Roosy's demons as we were after the Port game is all I'm saying

Edited by Curry & Beer