Dunn Deal!

Demonland

One more thing: if he manages to hold his form and fitness - and I see no reason why he couldn't given his age and the fact that he's hardly ever been injured - this contract should see him well on the way to 200 MFC games. It feels like an awfully long time since we've had one of those.

• Like 5

Is my memory correct about Dean Bailey switching Dunn to the backline , and that this was one piece of "evidence" that we were " tanking"?

If so,is Roos tanking, and as a result we will be charged again?!

• Like 1

He's been rock solid down back. Has only lowered his colours once this year, to Crameri. Playing with a lot more focus and discipline.

Had his colours lowered by Brendon McCartney who set a game plan to ensure Crameri was one out and had space to lead into, and the Bulldogs players followed it

What a good example of players taking a (bloody) long time to develop and mature. 7 poor years and now 2 good to very good years. So sometimes players are not list-cloggers, to reluctantly coin a Hutchy phrase, they just take time, especially players over 190cm. How good could Watts be by his 9th season i wonder.

That doesnty mean to say we should keep players on the list for 7 years to see how they go. its critical to have experienced coaches to assess their future worth and potential. And when we are playing decent footy ts amazing how much better the same players look

As I yell at the footy: WELL DONE DUNN!

On SEN yesterday Scott Lucas was saying Dunn is number 37 for average metres gained per match, with about 430m per.

I think they said 69% retention rate. Not bad.

On a side note...

Just having a look at an AFL/Champion Data metres gained graphic from last year.

At that time Trav Johnstone held the record for 3rd most metres gained in a match with 999m.

Guess which match?

The Kreuzer Cup.

• Like 3

This is great news - Dunn has always been a versatile competitive beast and with his maturity looks set to become the 150+ game clubman that our side a sorely lackes in the past. Love that he believes we will make finals in the coming years.

One more thing: if he manages to hold his form and fitness - and I see no reason why he couldn't given his age and the fact that he's hardly ever been injured - this contract should see him well on the way to 200 MFC games. It feels like an awfully long time since we've had one of those.

how could have dunny got injured in his past years? :cool: now maybe, looking ahead. you can't bake a cake without breaking eggs.

Is my memory correct about Dean Bailey switching Dunn to the backline , and that this was one piece of "evidence" that we were " tanking"?

If so,is Roos tanking, and as a result we will be charged again?!

Dunny as a young player, also should have started in the backline, & is one of the players who should have played a lot of reserves footy to learn the ways & gather more composure before he was thrust into the big games.

This would have helped his development, & his career path may well have been a lot more successful. He was hearing footsteps from his first senior game, I think against the Cats at the 'G' at night.

• Like 1

I don't pot players and call for delistings ( I do obviously discuss strengths and weaknesses of players - and you wont find any posts by me calling for Dunn's head previously) but I think most on here would agree that up until the last 2 and a bit seasons Dunn's name would have come up at end of year coaches discussions about keeping or delisting. His career to an extent mirrors Matthew Bates and Dunn was fortunate at the end of his last contract that he put together a string of good form.

By his own admission the thing he needed to work on was the gap between his good and bad and that is exactly what he has done. He is now 27. In a good team he may have improved earlier and that's something we don't know. But he is also fortunate that over the last 5 years we were bereft of real talent or he may not have made it to the last two seasons.

I am very pleased that for the last 2 and bit seasons he is repaying us for his patchy form up until that time.

• Like 1

Very happy to say I was wrong about Dunn!

Thought he was a lazy and uncompetitive footballer, under Roos he's turned himself in to Mr Reliable and Mr Versatile.

Keep up the good work Lynden well deserved

Great news for the club. The question is why did he sign so soon? The club is in a stronger position and rewards players with contracts that reflect their true worth. Getting back to a position where the club calls the shots and not the players.

Great news for the club. The question is why did he sign so soon? The club is in a stronger position and rewards players with contracts that reflect their true worth. Getting back to a position where the club calls the shots and not the players.

Unsure what point you're trying to make. Presumably he signed so soon because he wanted to. Not all players want to 'hold out' for the best possible deal; some players land on a deal they're happy with early in the piece and just want to get it out of the way so they can concentrate on footy.

• Like 6

Very happy to say I was wrong about Dunn!

Thought he was a lazy and uncompetitive footballer, under Roos he's turned himself in to Mr Reliable and Mr Versatile.

Keep up the good work Lynden well deserved

I wanted him traded over the last few seasons. I was concerned at his lack of vigor at the hospital ball. have only seen him Duck his head the once this year whilst going back with the flight. so far so good.

happy for him to show us how wrong we can be. & to keep on showing us. Well, Dunn. whataUsay bygones

The question is why did he sign so soon? The club is in a stronger position and rewards players with contracts that reflect their true worth. Getting back to a position where the club calls the shots and not the players.

Disagree - He is an unrestricted free agent and holds all the cards. I suggest 3 things have happened - he has told his manager he wants to stay, his manager has told him what he can get outside the MFC, we have given either more, the same or slightly less but not enough to make him change clubs.

When it comes to free agents within our club, the club is certainly not calling the shots ( except to the extent of telling players - here is the offer - take it or leave)

• Like 1

I don't think we should turn this thread in to a pissing contest about who backed Dunn last year and who didn't. I've deleted all the posts that attempted to turn this in to such a contest and will delete future posts as such as well.

• Like 5

Every good establishment has a solid Dunny down the back!

Very glad to see the MFC is gonna keep theirs!

I, too, am thrilled at the way he's really blossomed in recent times. Very happy for him, and even more pleased that we get to keep him.

• Like 3

I don't think we should turn this thread in to a pissing contest about who backed Dunn last year and who didn't. I've deleted all the posts that attempted to turn this in to such a contest and will delete future posts as such as well.

Nasher, appreciate your sentiment on the pissing contest, doesn't particularly bother me that you have deleted my posts, I must admit I used it as an opportunity to point score.

I am just constantly surprised by the turning with the wind adopted by some posters, but I suppose that is human nature

Dunn was on our list for one reason, he was good enought to be drafted, due to many things it is only now he is reaching his full potential, perhaps he was retained on the list because better judges than the majority of posters on here could see the potential, it just needed maturity, the right circumstances and a lot of hard work

Unsure what point you're trying to make. Presumably he signed so soon because he wanted to. Not all players want to 'hold out' for the best possible deal; some players land on a deal they're happy with early in the piece and just want to get it out of the way so they can concentrate on footy.

I guess I can also see the MFC saying to Frawley, you're going to get a chunk of our cap anyway. If you sign on earlier, you'll get the same amount of money, you'll take the pressure off yourself and the club, and you'll allow us to start to put into place our plans for the off season. We'd then know our kitty and could really map out our targets in FA, trade and the draft period. The club could also argue that 'you asked for improvement, here is tangible proof, re-sign'.

Edited by AdamFarr
  • Like 1

I think it's the perfect time to sign. He's played really well and got his value up. Other clubs would've approached his manager with potential offers as to his worth and delaying further would likely only increase those offers by small amounts if you turned it in to a last minute bidding war. Plus there's always potential of injury or form drop in the second half of the season. Imagine Dunn who's likely only ever played on 2 year deals for reasonable money up until now. Like probably 250-300 ish per year max in his last deal and much less in his early career deals. Over 8 years at probably an average of 150k a year that's enough to get a house and invest a bit and so on but it's not really set up for life. Melbourne offer you 3 years at probably over 400k if not more per year right now, if that was me I might test the market a little just to make sure it's a good deal but it wouldn't take me long to sign on and set myself up for life.

The reading of posts made in the past are interesting as it shows that some people did not rate him at all and are now giving all the credit to Roos for turning him into a good player while others saw the ability before Roos came along and are not surprised by the plaudits going his way now.

Great for him and the club and well deserved. Please don't ever let that mo grow again though....

• Like 1

Nothing new to add as its been covered already- but congratulations dunny on your progress over the past few years. Much in a way that jack watts spoke to jobe watson for advice, in the next few years I can see players from other clubs coming to you.

Credit to you, you've copped a lot of whacks and the level you have taken your game to doesnt go unnoticed, not by this particular poster anyway.

Keep up the good work, go dees

If ever a thread was to be turned into a pissing contest surely its appropriate that it's one about Dunny