Peter Jackson must be convinced to stay on.

beelzebub

Many well meaning individuals came to our club in fairly recent times with good intent and yet we continued rocking and rolling along a dubious track until the inevitable happened and we derailed. In Railway terminology we were in the dirt !!

The planets aligned and gods conspired and lo and behold one Peter Jackson emerges from the mist and takes charge.

I suggest , with deference to any good works prior , that all MAJOR things good came to be as of this man taking the helm.

There are those out there with influence, who have ears and have the ear. I implore these to do all that can be done to convince this man to remain at his desk for the foreseeable future.

Obviously Roos gets on well with this man and they share a vision. Both are important but in this instance this topic is about retaining PJ.

Those that can.......make it happen..........pls

• Like 6

Many well meaning individuals came to our club in fairly recent times with good intent and yet we continued rocking and rolling along a dubious track until the inevitable happened and we derailed. In Railway terminology we were in the dirt !!

The planets aligned and gods conspired and lo and behold one Peter Jackson emerges from the mist and takes charge.

I suggest , with deference to any good works prior , that all MAJOR things good came to be as of this man taking the helm.

There are those out there with influence, who have ears and have the ear. I implore these to do all that can be done to convince this man to remain at his desk for the foreseeable future.

Obviously Roos gets on well with this man and they share a vision. Both are important but in this instance this topic is about retaining PJ.

Those that can.......make it happen..........pls

Agree 100% he is the reason it all started and it would be a travesty if he left within the next few years. I wonder if the AFL still control the club from afar, if they still do I doubt they'd think the job is finished.

We've had a heart transplant and we can't let the surgeon walk out midway through the operation.

• Like 3

When I first read this word I thought it was some sort of reference to black magic or some such..

Fundingbwas - the good juju that has been applied to end the Norm Smith Curse and MFCSS once and for all.....

• Like 1

Fundingbwas - the good juju that has been applied to end the Norm Smith Curse and MFCSS once and for all.....

Actually one of the posters on here, Tim reckons he's fixed the curse by travelling to the Coburg ground on the weekend, the ground where our demise commenced.

I was there on the fateful day in 1965 when we played our first game after Norm was sacked and were beaten by North, we had Checker Hughes as coach and I reckon he was a pretty old man at the time. Tim reckons there were 8,000 there on that day and I'd say that was correct it was really a suburban oval and North played there for maybe a year before moving on.

Let's hope he's laid the curse to rest by his pilgrimage.

• Like 1

Some may be surprised by what I am about to say but it's something I have always believed.

I don't view PJ as a 10 year CEO.

That being said, I don't view him as a 2 year CEO. He needs to stay longer than that.

However, one problem we have had (in my eyes at least) is that certain blokes have become 'insiders' at the club.
I hope PJ is smart enough to avoid this fate.
He needs to put aside set time limits but he also needs to view himself as an efficiency expert. He was here to cut the cancer out of he club. Once the patient is in remission for long enough then it may be time to start training up a successor.

Colin, I can only judge from afar but deeds to date suggest that PJ knows a brown nose or a trojan from a mile.

• Like 1

Some may be surprised by what I am about to say but it's something I have always believed.

I don't view PJ as a 10 year CEO.

That being said, I don't view him as a 2 year CEO. He needs to stay longer than that.

However, one problem we have had (in my eyes at least) is that certain blokes have become 'insiders' at the club.

I hope PJ is smart enough to avoid this fate.

He needs to put aside set time limits but he also needs to view himself as an efficiency expert. He was here to cut the cancer out of he club. Once the patient is in remission for long enough then it may be time to start training up a successor.

He was great for Essendon and then things went wrong later in his venture as CEO. I think he's had enough time out of the game to learn from what went wrong back then and think he'll be a better long term CEO because of it. Would love for him to stay around for 8-10 years.

I don't see PJ as a long term CEO, but he could well be with us for a few years yet. I think he would like to see his job well advanced before he moves on, but I get the feeling he is not interested in another long term as an AFL CEO.

Like Roos it would be great if he was involved in the selection of his successor and then be ale to say mentor the incumbent for a year.

• Like 1

Give us another couple years I'd be happy, not greedy.

Roos and PJ aren't going to hand over - only to see the club go down hill.

I have faith in Paul Roos, PJ and the job they are doing - it appears to be producing the goods, they know better than myself.

So, no doubting either of them on my behalf.

Go Dees.

I expect and accept that neither PJ or Roos are likely to remain long term as CEO and Coach respectively. Just as Roos has been publicly discussing his succession plan I'd be very surprised if PJ isn't privately considering his. It's what a good CEO would do.

Importantly, however, it would be important for the club and the confidence of the players that PJ and Roos don't leave at the same time. One has to continue on at least a year after the other has left.

why wouldn't he stay long term?

Am I missing something?

I doubt PJ is going anywhere for a long time

He's over 60 years old. Why would he want the stress which goes with an ongoing CEO role when he would have no difficulty picking up part time consulting gig or Directorships? I accept that he might like the challenge, but after another 3 or 4 years the challenges he initially faced will have gone and the job will be more of a daily grind.

why wouldn't he stay long term?

Am I missing something?

I doubt PJ is going anywhere for a long time

What you're missing is the perspective of an older man who's been there and done that. He's picked this up as a job that's worth doing, not as a career move.

• Like 2

I don't see PJ as a long term CEO, but he could well be with us for a few years yet. I think he would like to see his job well advanced before he moves on, but I get the feeling he is not interested in another long term as an AFL CEO.

Like Roos it would be great if he was involved in the selection of his successor and then be ale to say mentor the incumbent for a year.

I think this is essential.

What you're missing is the perspective of an older man who's been there and done that. He's picked this up as a job that's worth doing, not as a career move.

I think he's still the type of bloke that would want to see it through to the end, the "end" being the point where the club is in good shape off-field to produce sustained success on-field.

The point where he can walk away and know the club won't fall in a heap within 2 years.

I don't think he feels we're at that point yet.

• Like 1

I'm sure the AFL are pulling the strings in the background, but it would be hard tty of believe that they would not be extremely happy with their work so far. Both Roos and Jackson are crucial to that.jackson ultimately is a corporate man (ie AFL). He will remain loyal to the cause and see it through until we become a strong club again. I have said here before, don't be surprised if Roos ends up as CEO of the MFC from this. I know many on DL think this is nonsense, but having worked at senior levels in the corporate world for much of my life, if someone catches the CEO bug there is nothing stopping him. Roos is capable enough, and ambitious enough to have caught it big time.we could do worse.

I'm sure the AFL are pulling the strings in the background, but it would be hard tty of believe that they would not be extremely happy with their work so far. Both Roos and Jackson are crucial to that.jackson ultimately is a corporate man (ie AFL). He will remain loyal to the cause and see it through until we become a strong club again. I have said here before, don't be surprised if Roos ends up as CEO of the MFC from this. I know many on DL think this is nonsense, but having worked at senior levels in the corporate world for much of my life, if someone catches the CEO bug there is nothing stopping him. Roos is capable enough, and ambitious enough to have caught it big time.we could do worse.

Why would a life long Football person with a passion for developing footballers, switch across to become a business man managing a football club?

The pinnacle is to COACH a Premiership team, not be CEO of a Premiership team. Roos would look at Head of Football dept, or development role. To suggest CEO implies you don't know whats involved in being a successful CEO.

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 2

You're right, but all men, even the old ones, occasionally succumb to their egos, and I haven't written off the possibility that PJ and PR might find the temptation to stay on too hard to resist if we're on the threshold of making history.

• Like 1

it concerns me that PJ may have a desire to return to the Hangar ?

I'd like to see him let us know of his intentions, re our cause.

Edited by dee-luded

Mate, the more you say, the less sense you make. Scale it back a bit.

Roos will never be the CEO of any club.

And while Jackson may have worked for the AFL and been approached to take our CEO role, it's because he was one of the best out there that they knew of, not because they could control him and he'd be their man.

Anyone who believes that is a deluded conspiracy theorist.

The only thing pulling Jackson's strings is his own integrity.