Guess what we have..?

Curry & Beer

A genuine quality midfield

God it has been a long time

One seasoned veteran in his prime, two brilliant kids, two genius imports

Roosy has just strolled in and in 9 weeks has fixed a huge problem we have had for about 7 years

Hooray

JONES%20Nathan.pngVINEY%20Jack.pngTYSON%20Dom.pngCROSS%20Daniel.pngVINCE%20Bernie.png

• Like 17

Throw in Jack trengove fully over his injury, Jimmy toumpas Christian Salem, Jay Kennedy-Harris, viv michie , aiden Riley

The developing crop looks fairly handy also

I also feel Matt Jones is quite underrated by Dees fans

• Like 2

cross and vince know where to be and when to be there.its experience from their previous employment.

toump,viney,salem jkh good back up and learners.

loved vince in the ruck yesterday and the richmond players trying to figure out if we had 5 in the square,{ball was cleared also}

Throw in Jack trengove fully over his injury, Jimmy toumpas Christian Salem, Jay Kennedy-Harris, viv michie , aiden Riley

The developing crop looks fairly handy also

I also feel Matt Jones is quite underrated by Dees fans

No...hes rated correctly. he needs to refine and improve, and then so will his rating.

• Like 1

Five genuine AFL quality midfielders, three of whom last year weren't on the list, and one of whom was just a pup. Amazing what difference some really intelligent recruiting *and* player development makes.

• Like 4

Not only did Barett criticize the Tyson trade, he also gave us a terrible grade in our trading department, detailing it as another 'scatter gun approach' like us recruiting blokes like Rodan, Byrnes etc from the previous year...

For our football department to turn our midfield around this well, and inject players who have had this sort of contribution is far from just a scatter gun approach and quite possibly an awesome year of drafting. I think it's fair to say if we didn't have Tyson playing against Adelaide & Richmond with his center clearances and two goal contributions in both games, we may have not gotten over the line. Our midfield got over Richmond's which won us the game. Without Roos, Todd & Co, the final result would have been a lot different.

I don't know why anyone would take the slightest bit of interest in what Barrett has to say, he hasn't got a clue and just waffles on as if he does.

The media will attack any lame dog, as they are easy game, the smart ones will realise when the tide is turning, Barrett and his kind will continue to get dumped because they just don't get it and don't understand it.

• Like 6

the fantastic 5 hey

Matty Jones and Rohan Bail have also been great as part of the midfield group

Both very underrated

Dean Kent was also a midfielder when recruited. Given time and full fitness I think he could be a surprise packet that could play both half fwd and midfield..

Centre square combo:

Cross, Vince, Jones, Tyson, Viney. Bang.

Plus someone out of Trengove, Michie, Mckenzie, Riley will emerge with fitness and experience. Trenners obviously needs a run of good luck with injuries. Riley and Michie, it's almost worth playing one of these guys each week just to get a look at them and bring them up to AFL speed. If either of them can hold down a spot in the forward line as a pressure forward then we are starting to get to Sydney's way of developing young mids.

Outside midfield

Bail and Matt Jones doing the trick for now and it's not impossible they improve with more coaching and games

Watts, well you can't give up on him as a midfield cameo guy

Kent, Salem and JKH - looking really good for the future

Evans, isn't the worst going around

Toump showed something yesterday, big second quarter

It's good we haven't over done Salem and JKH and it wouldnt surprise me if both end up back at Casey at some stage just as the Toump has. Kent through injury and suspension is biding his time. I hope we aren't overdoing Viney or Tyson but both get lots of rest on the bench and time forward. Jones is still the leader, Vince is still the most dangerous supporting member I think and Cross has been like a rock. I think they are just getting better and better at playing with each other as well. Not to mention playing with Jamar has helped (and Gawn is a luxury if he can do enough forward to stay in the team).

• Like 1

I'm too lazy but can someone name and compare our midfield from 2013 to 2014.

2013:

Jones, Viney, Sylvia, M. Jones, Rodan, Evans, McKenzie, Magner (never played), ?Blease, Trengove for half a season, Toumpas

2014:

Jones, Vince, Tyson, Cross, Viney, M. Jones, Bail as the first 7 picked

Plus take your pick from Michie, Riley, Trengove, Toumpas, Evans, McKenzie etc

Out: Rodan, Sylvia

In: Cross, Vince, Tyson

Replacing a veteran who was finished in Rodan with one who can actually contribute. Replacing an inconsistent player in Sylvia who wasn't a midfield really with one in Vince who certainly is. And then adding another star young player. They are the significant changes. Then the added depth of young guys actually competing for the last couple of spots is helping at the back end. With Trenners, Riley and Michie all injured/returning from injury we haven't seen that competition as much but it should come as the season goes on.

It's a massive turnaround from a single off season and it gives me tingles thinking what he'll be able to get with another, combined with the newfound respect we're getting from the wider AFL community. Players will see what we're building around Tyson, Salem & Viney and want to come play for our club.

The terrible form of the Giants is just icing on the cake, because if they don't show any signs of improvement players will continue leaving every off season. If the rumours are true and we were in Shiel's ear last year and he was interested, imagine how he'll feel about us now. Similarly, I hope Roosy has the Swans' youth on speed dial, because the uncertainty about COLA and frozen contracts is going to be a breeding ground for discontent in their playing group. Luke Parker please! :)

• Like 1

Imagine in a couple of years, with Trengove back and hopefully returning to pre-Neeld form, the kids with a few more years development, and the ace in the pack.................Angus Brayshaw if we recruit him this year!

Starting to look like a very respectable midfield then.

Still think Kent will eventually make it - still only 20 and has got grunt, pace and a good boot. Also loves a goal. Barry is an interesting one -not sure how he is progressing. Looks like most have written off Blease.

Definitely haven't written Kent off.

But i see him mainly as a forward rotating through the midfield when needed, and not the other way around.