Dees to talk to Thompson...

Gorgoroth

As a few of us who watch Monday nights AFL360 have noted how Thompson and Roos are in agreement over pretty much everything and how he would be a great replacement. Now they are reporting in the HUN that we are wanting to talk to him about taking over after Roos.

The other names are Ratten, Voss, Harvey and Ling, Ling seems to be second fav after Thompson of course after Roos staying on.

Interesting to see where this leads.

• Like 1

Yeah would be good, but at this stage it's just Robbo filling up column space.

Remember It's bye round. Nothing happening in Melb this weekend apart from our game

• Like 2

Its an interesting senerio. One Coach is a quick style free flowing game style while the other is slowing the play down ugly footy etc.. personally id love it if they just got someone like a Kirk who would know the game plan on the top of their head and just stuck with that.

• Like 2

spot on chippy.

the thing with thompson is you know that he's an outstanding coach, just like roos.

why not have one take over from the other, and ideally groom a ling or a kirk (the two names i've repeatedly heard mentioned in relation to the succession role) to eventually take over from them?

roos and thompson aren't actually that different in style (after all, defence wins premierships), and their man management seems remarkably similar.

i am all for this scenario.

• Like 1

If Ling is to be in contention then he needs to do an apprenticeship.

I still think he is the one.

His role with the boners just whets his appetite to find out if he has the desire to coach or go media.

I think he is football through and through and would want to be part of a club not just sitting on the sidelines

talking about it.

We've tried inexperienced young coaches with a young inexperienced list before.

Prefer the experienced with a track record. Seems to be working now.

• Like 2

Peter Jackson doesn't mess around does he :)

Bomber Thompson - Senior Coacxh

Paul Roos - Head of Footy

PJ - CEO

Think I just pitched a tent in my undies

Edited by hogans_heroes
  • Like 8

If Ling is to be in contention then he needs to do an apprenticeship.

He is at north this year,

Maybe Thompson take over after Roos, Ling becomes Thompsons assistant to take over from him in 3 years time giving Ling 5 years as a assistant... Ha ha

• Like 3

Mark Harvey is the interesting one for me was doing good things at freo before he was shafted. Voss and Ratten just don't appear to have it as a senior coach either would be great midfield coaches. Ling as an assistant but it's too risky for our fragile club. The only other that intrigues me is stuey dew just something about him as a player and from reports as an assistant has the attributes would be a coupe under roos for two years.

If we aren't talking to bomba something is wrong but I reckon the list would be

Bomba

Kirk

Rawlings

Ratten

Ling

What ever begins to transpire it will be a vastly different and more attractive MFC for players and staff to consider.

The Demon is on the rise. We are becoming once more relevant to this competition.

Roosy has a taste for it, I reckon he will take the third year and use that to try and convince chip and Dunn to 're- sign

• Like 1

I know others won't like it but I wouldn't mind Voss. I was dead against him being appointed in 2007 (and I would have turned out right) but now, if he serves as an assistant under Roos, I wouldn't be against the idea.
He has done the job before and has great leadership qualities. He did make one HUGE mistake at the start of his tenure and was said to have made a few lesser ones (how he handled interstate recruits) but one thing about life is that you can take what you have learnt with you and leave your mistakes behind.

I would be pretty certain that Thompson would be on the back burner at least until ASADA WADA etc have declared where he sat ands under them.

Long and Kirk, after suitable apprenticeships could be the goods - both have tasted success, and appear at least from my distance to be good "people people" which aspect I am less happy regarding Voss.

But at this stage it is all speculation, which never before has stopped page after page of newspaper utterances.

• Like 1

He is at north this year,

Maybe Thompson take over after Roos, Ling becomes Thompsons assistant to take over from him in 3 years time giving Ling 5 years as a assistant... Ha ha

He's only 1 day a week at North though isn't he? I'd wanna see him do at least 2-3 years full time first.

• Like 1

According to some posters around here he also needs a face lift and plastic surgery.

I don't care. More than happy to "win ugly."

• Like 4