Nathan Jones

Ted Lasso

Sitting third in the Lou Richards medal right now if he got any votes yesterday he'd be winning

Top 10 in Herald Sun player of the year

More than likely got 8 or more brownlow votes so far

Ranked 109 in the afl player ratings

Something out of place there seriously underrated

• Like 12

Sitting third in the Lou Richards medal right now if he got any votes yesterday he'd be winning

Something out of place there seriously underrated

Has been underrated by all bar the Demons fans for years. This year i feel that people outside of us are seeing how good he is. He is an A-grader now and is elite class. no doubt about it.

• Like 1

Finally starting to attract the notice from the wider AFL community that he's deserved for two years now. Better late than never, I guess.

Ignore the AFL ratings altogether. They are a joke.

As others have said its nice to see people waking up to his quality. He has been admired by opposition fans for the last few years, but more as an honest battler. Now he is getting the plaudits as a genuine A grader.

If he can keep it up he will be making a push for AA which would be fantastic recognition. At the stage he's definitely making the squad.

• Like 1

Has been underrated by all bar the Demons fans for years. This year i feel that people outside of us are seeing how good he is. He is an A-grader now and is elite class. no doubt about it.

And let's not forget he was massively underrated by Demons fans up until a couple of years ago as well.
  • Like 1

afl.com.au is an absolute joke

that little rat Damian Barratt is their head 'journalist'

Enough said

• Like 3

not really........he just improved himself

Well, I for one was talking him up right from the start as it was patently obvious that he had a hell of a lot of potential... as is often the case on these forums (and Demonology), many were prepared to write him off too soon. I recall I was laughed at for daring to compare him to Chapman... and now, despite the fact he is a different type of player, he is showing many of those traits as he has improved his awareness, disposals and his accuracy around the goals.

He did improve, you are correct... but he was always going to improve.

Edited by hardtack

And let's not forget he was massively underrated by Demons fans up until a couple of years ago as well.

Fair call, until a few years ago I wasn't sure he was going to be anything better than a good average player.

It's a shame it takes your teammates around you to be worth anything before you start getting rated. Unless you're Gary Ablett of course.

On the verge of becoming just the 2nd MFC player in history to win three consecutive Best and Fairests

The only player to do it is Jim Stynes. winning in 95,96, and 97

Edited by hogans_heroes

On the verge of becoming just the 2nd MFC player in history to win three consecutive Best and Fairests

The only player to do it is Jim Styes. winning in 95,96, and 97

Said it before, and ill say it again, whilst we have had the distinct honour of watching perhaps one of the worst teams go about it the past 7 years, we have also had the honour of watching a player make his name in MFC history. It's a pleasure Nathan.

• Like 5

He got 14 votes the year that media darling Jobe Watson won the Brownlow. He did this in a bottom team. In any other team he would have won it. A bloody star since game one. He is continually rated lowly by media observers because we are not a big club supporter wise that's all. If he played for Collingwood hed be considered part of that "amazing midfield". It makes me sick to listen to this dribble. Even Sheehan cant find room for him in his top fifty.

I mean seriously demon fans how many players in the league would you swap him for? Not many I bet.

Not sure if anyone else caught him on "Ed & Derm's Big Week in Footy" tonight. Probably not if you'd rather do just about anything than watch "Ed & Derm's Big Week in Footy".

Spoke well. Talked very highly of Dawes in particular and his leadership at the club. Bit of a light hearted chat about his tats etc.

He's got respect, don't worry about that. As the team increases in profile, so will Jonesy.

• Like 4

While I hate bumping old threads, I would love someone to bump up the "why Jones shouldn't be captain" thread from a season or two ago.

There will be some classics in that.

he wasn't ready for the captaincy a few seasons ago.

Just wanted to surf during his time out.

he wasn't ready for the captaincy a few seasons ago.

Just wanted to surf during his time out.

As opposed to what he does in his spare time now?

As opposed to Trengove?

As opposed to Grimes?

We are talking at the start of 2012, WYL, not when Jones was a 16 year old.

Edit - spelling.

Edited by billy2803

Said it before, and ill say it again, whilst we have had the distinct honour of watching perhaps one of the worst teams go about it the past 7 years, we have also had the honour of watching a player make his name in MFC history. It's a pleasure Nathan.

Well said.

While I hate bumping old threads, I would love someone to bump up the "why Jones shouldn't be captain" thread from a season or two ago.

There will be some classics in that.

Couldn't get a kick in 2011

Wasn't a popular teammate

Didn't lead, was much more focussed on his own game (as developing players should be).

It was a mistake not appointing him for 2013 however he was promoted when Grimes got injured early in the season. However, he wasn't ready in 2012 and as bad as it sounds maybe we were better off burdening Grimes and Trengove and at least having 1 gun player than the alternative. There was no right answer for captain in 2012 but I'm glad we are passed those days and have Jonesy and Grimes as a duo, plus some fantastic leadership in Dawes, Cross and even Viney. Plus the guy who played most like a leader for us in 2013 is about to come back in to the side.

• Like 1

not really........he just improved himself

good point, as recently as last year he still used to get caught a lot with the ball and made some bad decisions when disposing of the ball. He has improved out of sight in those two areas .