"Judge us after 5 rounds"

Darbsy

Tell a twelve year old we are improving, but still losing.

I said to my son last week, you can see the improvement son, and he said i dont care i just want to win.

I dont blame him he has seen one bloody win in three years of going to the footy, poor kid.

Needless to say he isnt coming with me tonite because he is scared we will lose, like he is some sort of jinx.

The team i love is making the son i love miserable...conundrum.

This is how kids see it, win or lose, black or white.

• Like 3

I said to my son last week, you can see the improvement son, and he said i dont care i just want to win.

I dont blame him he has seen one bloody win in three years of going to the footy, poor kid.

Needless to say he isnt coming with me tonite because he is scared we will lose, like he is some sort of jinx.

I don't have kids, but from discussions with them at cricket training (I used to coach juniors) the experience of the footy was mainly about their dads, uncles, older brothers etc. and how they felt/reacted about the game. ie. 'I don't like going because my dad gets really angry and sad.'

I went as a kid as saw plenty of losses, one out at Waverley when Lockett went nuts sticks in my mind, but I still remember it fondly because my dad got me pie and let us stand up where it was hard to see undercover (it was raining).

I don't want this to come off as some sort of childless know-it-alls rant about how you behave at the footy - only that your boy loves your team because you do and he just wants to got to the footy with his dad.

(Until he is a teenager and then he will go with his mates and he will become a little sheet...)

Have mercy on him take him to Hawthorn and Richmond tomorrow

Sad, but understandable in a 12 year old. But there seems to be a lot of 12 year olds posting here who don't see any improvement.

• Like 5

Very understandable. I guess if you can get him to hang on and he does get to see the good times, it will teach an important life lesson.

If he does want to jump off and get on another team, remind him that it's not all rainbows and sunshines. I jumped from Collingwood to Melbourne in 1988 because Melbourne were the better team. By 2011, I had seen the Pies make 6 grand finals for two flags and win one spoon vs. us making two Grand Finals for 2 pantsings and three wooden spoons. (Come to think of it, maybe that's not the kind of example you should use with your son! It mightn't really reinforce the message that the tide can turn, more that the tide turned on Melbourne!)

The sad thing is most of us got on board as kids when the club was going well (many of the old timers in the 50's and people like myself, Doctor Gonzo and Stuie in the 80's).

I guess the next best thing is for us to at least show something in the meantime but I do feel your pain, DeeZee.

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

our odds are based on how we perform you goose, haha

Surely you can understand when judging out performance this year it's not just about where we are but where we are going. Last year we were going backwards at a million miles an hour this year we are on the right track but it will take time.

Oh and the reason Neeld didn't have guys like Vince, Cross, Georgiou is because he recruited guys like Gillies, Rodan & Pedersen so it's his fault anyway.

• Like 1

Don't worry mate the tide WILL turn and when it does it will feel even better. Hopefully he got to go to the Carlton game a couple of weeks back. Once we're back playing finals and we get some decent crowds watching us play decent footy he'll be hooked.

You missed the whole point, as usual.

Losing to teams who have better odds of winning the flag should not be a shock.

C&B showed the odds of the opposition we have played so far, funny that they are all pretty low, so don't argue the point that we haven't played against mostly bottom half sides.

They have bad odds, and yes ours are worse because we have lost too them, what are you arguing about.

Have mercy on him take him to Hawthorn and Richmond tomorrow

That is the absolute worst thing you can do. Taking him to games that don't involve Melbourne is like saying "Fark it. Support whoever you like. I don't care!"

If he doesn't want to go to Melbourne games, that's fine. He'll come around when we start winning again. But if you expose him to other teams, then you may never get him back.

• Like 1

C&B showed the odds of the opposition we have played so far, funny that they are all pretty low, so don't argue the point that we haven't played against mostly bottom half sides.

They have bad odds, and yes ours are worse because we have lost too them, what are you arguing about.

They were worse before we played them too. I don't see why you're still arguing. We've gone from 122 points against to 82 points against. If you don't think that's an improvement then I don't know why you bother posting on a forum where people generally have at least a basic knowledge of footy.

• Like 1

That is the absolute worst thing you can do. Taking him to games that don't involve Melbourne is like saying "Fark it. Support whoever you like. I don't care!"

If he doesn't want to go to Melbourne games, that's fine. He'll come around when we start winning again. But if you expose him to other teams, then you may never get him back.

Worse things could happen to him Chook!

Edited by old dee

They were worse before we played them too. I don't see why you're still arguing. We've gone from 122 points against to 82 points against. If you don't think that's an improvement then I don't know why you bother posting on a forum where people generally have at least a basic knowledge of footy.

Yes we have improved Stuie, our odds are terrible. We have improved, but not much.

This thread is about judging the team after round 5 in comparison to the rest of the competition, at the moment we are still very bad. Like Roos said our percentage will represent how competitive we have been 69.3%

And I know that West Coast had much to do with our percentage, but as me and C&B are trying to point out is that West Coast is the only team we have played so far that is expected to play in the finals.

So our improvement so far... Is 52% from last year to 69%

Minimal improvement.

• Like 1

This thread is about judging the team after round 5 in comparison to the rest of the competition

Wrong again. We are talking about Improvement in comparison to where we were when Roos took over.

A team that was labelled worse than Fitzroy 12 months ago is now able to compete with other AFL teams. If you call that minimal improvement, that says more about your unrealistic expectations for this season than anything else.

• Like 1

Yes we have improved Stuie, our odds are terrible. We have improved, but not much.

This thread is about judging the team after round 5 in comparison to the rest of the competition, at the moment we are still very bad. Like Roos said our percentage will represent how competitive we have been 69.3%

And I know that West Coast had much to do with our percentage, but as me and C&B are trying to point out is that West Coast is the only team we have played so far that is expected to play in the finals.

So our improvement so far... Is 52% from last year to 69%

Minimal improvement.

Ohhhhh so now there HAS been improvement....

Wrong again. We are talking about Improvement in comparison to where we were when Roos took over.

A team that was labelled worse than Fitzroy 12 months ago is now able to compete with other AFL teams. If you call that minimal improvement, that says more about your unrealistic expectations for this season than anything else.

You just hate the fact as much as me that we are still terrible, tonight will be a big test P MAN if we get belted then we will be likely 18th and if we win we could be pushing for the top 8-10 so we are still in a precarious position after round 5, hence all the debate.

You just hate the fact as much as me that we are still terrible, tonight will be a big test P MAN if we get belted then we will be likely 18th and if we win we could be pushing for the top 8-10 so we are still in a precarious position after round 5, hence all the debate.

Wow. That just shows your ridiculous expectations. So we'll either finish last or make finals based on tonight's game? Far out.

Wow. That just shows your ridiculous expectations. So we'll either finish last or make finals based on tonight's game? Far out.

No Stuie if we get belted tonight we will be below Brisbane in 18th as they had a win in Nz as sure you know, but if we win we will be equal with a number of teams on 8 points and in a decent position on the ladder? Do you understand my explanation now ? FMD!

No Stuie if we get belted tonight we will be below Brisbane in 18th as they had a win in Nz as sure you know, but if we win we will be equal with a number of teams on 8 points and in a decent position on the ladder? Do you understand my explanation now ? FMD!

Aint Rocket Science JV and why i was so disappointed last week. One quarter blew a chance at 3 in a row...

Winning or losing tonight doesn't decide our season though. We've already improved, and there will be more improvement before the end of the year despite your want that Neeld was as good as Roos.

At last we are in agreement Stuie. You have a basic knowledge of football.

At last we are in agreement Stuie. You have a basic knowledge of football.

But not much else.

Bit tough on the kid. Hang in there he'll be right.

My young bloke barracks for Port, because his favorite player is Ollie Wines.

I hope MFC targets Wines for a couple of reasons these days.

Once he is old enough to make decisions for himself, I will tell him it's MFC or out on his ear.

• Like 1