I love Chris Dawes

nutbean

Firstly - his efforts both in his desire to win the ball and without ball in hand are remarkable. ( please please please stay healthy).

He is really frank about the team - "for too much of the game we played like a second rate team"

What really impressed me was his own analysis of his game on the weekend ( see his interview) - second week back and underdone - you could somewhat forgive his rustiness - nope - there is no need for Roos to slam his wastefulness - he does quite a job on himself. "I had my colours lowered - I had opportunities and I stuffed them up".

• Like 11

Firstly - his efforts both in his desire to win the ball and without ball in hand are remarkable. ( please please please stay healthy).

He is really frank about the team - "for too much of the game we played like a second rate team"

What really impressed me was his own analysis of his game on the weekend ( see his interview) - second week back and underdone - you could somewhat forgive his rustiness - nope - there is no need for Roos to slam his wastefulness - he does quite a job on himself. "I had my colours lowered - I had opportunities and I stuffed them up".

Agree.

Would be nice if he could kick straight on the weekend though!

Dawes has exceeded my expectations so far this season. Last season he was underwhelming and I wasn't holding high hopes for his ability to make an impact after returning from injury this season, however he has been great.

His hunger for the contest, presenting and work rate is already great and will get better as he gets fit.

Note: He still looks a bit funny to me when he marks the ball, like he doesn't really have natural aerial ability. It's as though he just sticks the arms straight up and hopes the ball drops in his outstretched hands, but it seems to be effective enough though I'd like him to take a couple more contested marks.

I'd have Dawes in the DL banner before Howe.

Good point, I'd much prefer Dawes too, not only over Howe but Watts also. Is Dawes still in the leadership group?

• Like 1

My one big problem with Dawes' game was the turn and snap attempt. He had a teammate running past. He could have given the handpass and shepherd and let someone else run into an open goal and instead he went for glory and stuffed it. Isn't this exactly what he had a go at JKH for last game?

Admittedly, I think hte teammate in question might have been Spencer which could count as a mitigating circumstance, but even so...

My one big problem with Dawes' game was the turn and snap attempt. He had a teammate running past. He could have given the handpass and shepherd and let someone else run into an open goal and instead he went for glory and stuffed it. Isn't this exactly what he had a go at JKH for last game?

Admittedly, I think hte teammate in question might have been Spencer which could count as a mitigating circumstance, but even so...

I think he thought he had someone on his tail and needed to get rid of it ASAP.

• Like 2

He looks like a completely different player from how I thought he played at Collingwood. Either I'm much mistaken or he wasn't able to play like this due to the Collingwood style of game at the time he was there. I don't recall him having the agility he has shown. OK, he's not Cyril Rioli, but I always thought he was a straight line player unable to kick around his body. he looks like a genuine CHF.

• Like 3

He looks like a completely different player from how I thought he played at Collingwood. Either I'm much mistaken or he wasn't able to play like this due to the Collingwood style of game at the time he was there. I don't recall him having the agility he has shown. OK, he's not Cyril Rioli, but I always thought he was a straight line player unable to kick around his body. he looks like a genuine CHF.

He was great in 2010. Injuries have hurt his '11, '12 and '13 seasons. If he can stay fit and on the park he has AA CHF potential. Reads the play well, works hard and kicks well. He's no Cloke but if the ball gets down there enough he is a big enough target.

• Like 1

If Dawes had kicked those goals it would have literally been a match winning performance. Notwithstanding the misses, he played an excellent game I thought, looked even more dangerous than the week before.

His post match interview made it clear that he sets high standards for himself.

• Like 2

He has such a huge on-field presence. As soon as he started running at Gold Coast defenders, they started panicking with the ball. Even when he was the man on the mark and the full back was playing on, he was pressuring the man and trying to force an error.

I don't mean to draw out negatives, but I found two faults with his game on Sunday. First of all, he's a selfish player. Don't get me wrong, he's a great kick from outside 50 but he has to nail those shots if he's not going to chip it to a closer option in the forward line. Particularly in the first quarter, there were some very good leads he could have honoured when he took those marks on the 50. Also, as someone mentioned earlier he should have handpassed to Spencer after that great forward 50 entry from JKH. The outcome (a behind) might have been the same, but it's the team thing to do. If Dawes had a go at JKH the week before for not going with the percentage play, then he has to have the same standards on himself.

Secondly, when he lines up for shots on goal, I notice he goes quite far back and kicks a fair distance away from the man on the mark - essentially turning a shot at goal from 20m into a shot at goal from 30 or 35m. It's a marginal difference, but may be the difference between him being a 2-goal a game player to a 3-goal a game player.

It was Spencer.

If he gave it and Spencer fluffed it - we all would have said "take it on yourself to kick that Chris!"

I know I would have. As a forward I know one thing - he wouldn't have slept well Sunday night - you just cannot miss the ones he did.

• Like 1

I have been pretty critical in regards to Dawes's body and how Jack Fitzpatrick would make a better CHF.... :wacko:

I am now having one of the bestest slice of humble pie going around. None of this cheap stuff the real expensive taste!

His performance so far is quite unbelievable for a guy that has had no Pre season. He is a true key forward and straightens us up. Keeps going the way he is and he will kick a bag soon.

Did anyone see before the game when they were in their positions on the ground and all the forwards were huddled around him, he was barking instructions and telling them where to position. I thought wow its almost like having an on field coach. This is not a pot shot but I don't think I ever saw Mitch Clark to that?

On ya Dawesy!

Edited by dazzledavey36

not really, he plays an effective leadership role without being in the group

whats the point of a leadership group if your best leaders arent in it?

He and Jones are our best leaders by an absolute mile

I would rate Cross as a better leader than Dawes though not by much.

Absolute joke Dawes isnt in the leadership group

What a farce

I also find it fascinating that he wasn't included...

I would rate him as high as Nathan Jones and Daniel Cross when it come to effort given on game day. He gives his absolute all. You only need to look at his follow up efforts and chasing for a guy of his size to realise how much he contributes to the team. There are certainly other senior blokes who don't do enough of those things.

If he has a healthy year he'll be in it next year without a doubt.

I'd say the fact he'd been injured and hadn't played much last year would been the reason for him not getting in for this year. It'll change though. No doubt.

I only look at his 2010 when he wasn't injured.

His main strength (when fit) is his massive tank and massive work ethic.

They way I viewed last week was that JKH was more annoyed than Dawes (see him [JKH] saying sorry, looking agitated at the next bounce and smacking his hand)

He backed himself and kicked a goal - can't be too upset with that!

• Like 1

I have been pretty critical in regards to Dawes's body and how Jack Fitzpatrick would make a better CHF.... :wacko:

I am now having one of the bestest slice of humble pie going around. None of this cheap stuff the real expensive taste!

His performance so far is quite unbelievable for a guy that has had no Pre season. He is a true key forward and straightens us up. Keeps going the way he is and he will kick a bag soon.

Did anyone see before the game when they were in their positions on the ground and all the forwards were huddled around him, he was barking instructions and telling them where to position. I thought wow its almost like having an on field coach. This is not a pot shot but I don't think I ever saw Mitch Clark to that?

On ya Dawesy!

Quite a few times on Sunday Dawes and Frawley got in each other's way. That's to be expected when they're not used to playing together at the same end of the ground. And it's a practical example of why teams take a while to gel. If Frawley stays forward (and I hope he does), he and Dawes will get a better understanding and there will be fewer instances of each getting in the other's way.

And for what it's worth I'd rather they got in each other's way rather than neither being anywhere near the ball.

• Like 4

he probably could/should be in the lg

the point being though that the fact he is not in it doesn't make it a farce because he still functions as a leader

• Like 1

he probably could/should be in the lg

the point being though that the fact he is not in it doesn't make it a farce because he still functions as a leader

Leaders are.

No need for a group or a title, Dawes leads. Like Hodge did at Hawthorn, he just led.