FIFTY YEARS AGO

Whispering_Jack

You beat me to it Daisycutter. Don must have come on very early in the game. Fancy having the players of the calibre of Vagg and Williams as reserves! What a team.

I'm STILL spewing that I got dropped to 20th man for that match! (LOL)

By the way. Also interesting to see Doc Roet at CHB and Ray Groom on a half forward flank. My memory is sketchy, but recall both guys as our CHB. Did Groom take over the spot after Roet departed? Can anyone clarify? Thanks.

By the way. Also interesting to see Doc Roet at CHB and Ray Groom on a half forward flank. My memory is sketchy, but recall both guys as our CHB. Did Groom take over the spot after Roet departed? Can anyone clarify? Thanks.

Didn't Ray Groom primarily play in the ruck?

(Mind you, I'm pleased to be able to say I'm too young to remember anything from the 1964 season).

Melbourne's 1964 campaign was shaken when the team went down to

St. Kilda at a jam packed Junction Oval on Saturday, 9 May. The 35,000 fans on hand watched as the young, enthusiastic Saints ran over their more experienced opponents winning by 26 points.

Melbourne 1.6.12 4.7.31 6.12.48 9.13.67

St. Kilda 2.1.13 7.5.47 8.11.59 13.15.93

THE TEAM

B: Neil Crompton Bernie Massey Bob Miller

HB: Tony Anderson Brian Roet Brian Leahy

C: Don Williams "Hassa" Mann Frank "Bluey" Adams

HF: Bryan Kenneally Ray Groom Barrie Vagg

F: Ron Barassi Barry Bourke John Townsend

FOLL: Bob "Tassie" Johnson Graham Wise Ken Emselle

19/20: Graeme Jacobs Graeme Watson

Goals Barrie Vagg 4 Ken Emselle 2 Ron Barassi Barry Bourke Ray Groom

Best Ray Groom Bob "Tassie" Johnson Brian Roet Ron Barassi "Hassa" Mann Frank "Bluey" Adams

Graeme Jacobs made his debut for the club on a day when Bob "Tassie" Johnson and Hassa Mann both reached their 100 game milestones but they were upstaged by two teenagers in Carl Ditterich, 18, and Ian Cooper, 17.

The Demons got to within five points early in the last quarter, but St. Kilda was too strong and the loss left the visitors on 2 wins and 2 defeats for the season.

The Liberal Party candidate for the local seat of St. Kilda was Melbourne's own Brian Dixon but he missed out on this unique opportunity of impressing his electorate through injury.

Groom started off as a key forward and played the odd game in the ruck and as ruck rover. When Barassi moved to Carlton after the '64 flag (sorry to spoil the ending of this thread for those of you who don't know it - :) ), Groom was given the number 31 jumper. In his final year (1968), he found his niche as a CHB and a good one at that before going back home and on to bigger and better things as Premier of Tasmania so he bettered Brian Dixon in that respect. I think Bob Miller also had a crack at Parliament and might have been the member for Prahran at some stage.

• Like 1

Was Kenneally any good as a player because he was a terrible coach and a boring bloke.

Reasonable player who had his moments but suffered a bit being, at one stage considered as Barassi's understudy and the next big thing as a ruck rover. In reality, he probably suffered in Barassi's shadow.

Someone gave him a great nickname after he played a poor game - Can'ardly.

• Like 1

Groom started off as a key forward and played the odd game in the ruck and as ruck rover. When Barassi moved to Carlton after the '64 flag (sorry to spoil the ending of this thread for those of you who don't know it - :) ), Groom was given the number 31 jumper. In his final year (1968), he found his niche as a CHB and a good one at that before going back home and on to bigger and better things as Premier of Tasmania so he bettered Brian Dixon in that respect. I think Bob Miller also had a crack at Parliament and might have been the member for Prahran at some stage.

Come off it, WJ. How could it be a "bigger and better thing" to be Premier of Tasmania than a player with the Melbourne Football Club? Get your priorities right.

Come off it, WJ. How could it be a "bigger and better thing" to be Premier of Tasmania than a player with the Melbourne Football Club? Get your priorities right.

Shhh ... there are people around here who come from Tasmania and we wouldn't want to offend either of their heads. :)

• Like 3

Shhh ... there are people around here who come from Tasmania and we wouldn't want to offend either of their heads. :)

That's going a bit far Jack. IIRC, Tas. Johnson and Brad Green only had two heads between them, and most of the time Howie only has one (but I'll concede he may don a second when he's up in rarefied air taking a hanger).

I found Taswegians OK, confused at times, & indecisive. but usually only because, they were in 2 minds as to which way to go.

5011879_orig.jpg

Melbourne ventured out to Windy Hill on Saturday, 16 May, 1964 for what was considered a danger game against an Essendon which had beaten the reigning premier Geelong a week earlier. The Demons were off target all day but a five goal last quarter saw their comfortable return to the winning list in front of a crowd of 27,000.

Melbourne 1.6.12 2.10.22 5.18.48 10.25.85

Essendon 2.0.12 4.4.28 5.7.37 7.11.53

THE TEAM

B: Neil Crompton Bernie Massey Bob "Tassie" Johnson

C: Graeme Watson "Hassa" Mann Frank "Bluey" Adams

F: Graeme Jacobs Barry Bourke John Townsend

FOLL: Graham Wise Ron Barassi Ken Emselle

19/20: Rob Foster Herb Matthews

Goals Ron Barassi Barry Bourke Hassa Mann Barrie Vagg 2 Ray Groom Graeme Jacobs

Best Tony Anderson Neil Crompton Graeme Watson Hassa Mann Ken Emselle Bryan Kenneally

The Bombers troubled the visitors in the first half but they were clearly dominated after the main break in a game in which defenders Crompton and Anderson dominated proceedings. The game marked the debut of the late Rob Foster who passed away recently.

Melbourne won all three divisions played that day against Essendon - seniors, reserves and under 19s. Best player for the under 19 team was Bob Stewart who won the team's best and fairest award in 1964 and made his senior debut in the opening round of 1966 wearing the famous #2 and playing 17 games before being cleared to Prahran in April 1968. Stewart is a deep thinker about the game - Worlds of football conference

Do you notice something about the scores.

The games were built around defence. (Rings a bell)

This changed when Hafey came to Richmond. Attack! Attack! Attack!

Interesting to compare that team with the one that held up a Premiership Cup a few months later:

Outs Ins

'Wrecker' Leahy Frank Davis

Graeme Watson 'Dasher' Don Williams

Ray Groom Johnny Lord

Rob Foster Peter McLean

Herbie Matthews Brian Dixon

Some handy inclusions in that lot, although a couple of the 'outs' were also fair players.

Our under 19s also won a Flag in '64. I remember winning a 2 bob bet on the quinella.

Interesting to compare that team with the one that held up a Premiership Cup a few months later:

Outs Ins

'Wrecker' Leahy Frank Davis

Graeme Watson 'Dasher' Don Williams

Ray Groom Johnny Lord

Rob Foster Peter McLean

Herbie Matthews Brian Dixon

Some handy inclusions in that lot, although a couple of the 'outs' were also fair players.

Our under 19s also won a Flag in '64. I remember winning a 2 bob bet on the quinella.

Careful. I don't think sports betting was legal in those days.

• Like 2

Brian Dixon told me recently that he was BOG in the 64 GF. Any opinions? I didn't go to the match, too young.

Edited by ManDee

Brian Dixon told me recently that he was BOG in the 64 GF. Any opinions? I didn't go to the match, too young.

He wasn't having you on ManDee. Certainly in the top three.

Careful. I don't think sports betting was legal in those days.

I'm ok now ........... Statute of Limitations.

• Like 2

Do you notice something about the scores.

The games were built around defence. (Rings a bell)

This changed when Hafey came to Richmond. Attack! Attack! Attack!

I think also chippy the games were played at a much slower pace as well.

Also no deliberate kicking out of bounce rules either.

When you took a mark 90% went back to take a kick, playing on was a minor thing.

The upside was no 36 player maul's in those days

• Like 1

I think also chippy the games were played at a much slower pace as well.

Also no deliberate kicking out of bounce rules either.

When you took a mark 90% went back to take a kick, playing on was a minor thing.

The upside was no 36 player maul's in those days

far more positional too

only really those on the ball followed it much

I started following footy in 1966 when my family arrived in Australia and a very popular kid at school told me to follow Melbourne or he wouldn't be my friend.

So I went to a game, was hooked, and probably went to about 12 games that year.

We finished 11th (I think) and only won a few games despite having about 15 players still in the team from 1964 and having a great side on paper. We even lost several games by big margins.

It was a similar fall to 2007. It is amasing how a team can lose its 'mojo' very quickly and how A grade players can suddenly look like C graders. I know that the political in-fighting in '65 had some effect but, apart from Barassi, did we lose any other real 'stars' between '64 and '66?

I started following footy in 1966 when my family arrived in Australia and a very popular kid at school told me to follow Melbourne or he wouldn't be my friend.

So I went to a game, was hooked, and probably went to about 12 games that year.

We finished 11th (I think) and only won a few games despite having about 15 players still in the team from 1964 and having a great side on paper. We even lost several games by big margins.

It was a similar fall to 2007. It is amasing how a team can lose its 'mojo' very quickly and how A grade players can suddenly look like C graders. I know that the political in-fighting in '65 had some effect but, apart from Barassi, did we lose any other real 'stars' between '64 and '66?

The thing was, we didn't really have stars, we were a "sum of the parts" team. Lord, Crompton, Adams and Barassi left the the club during this period. I think we started '66 with several good players out injured, inc. Townsend and Bourke. The funny thing was that many of the '64 players were not that old. I remember Hassa Mann as being our out and out best player in that period.

Melbourne's 1964 campaign was shaken when the team went down to

St. Kilda at a jam packed Junction Oval on Saturday, 9 May. The 35,000 fans on hand watched as the young, enthusiastic Saints ran over their more experienced opponents winning by 26 points.

Melbourne 1.6.12 4.7.31 6.12.48 9.13.67

St. Kilda 2.1.13 7.5.47 8.11.59 13.15.93

THE TEAM

B: Neil Crompton Bernie Massey Bob Miller

C: Don Williams "Hassa" Mann Frank "Bluey" Adams

F: Ron Barassi Barry Bourke John Townsend

FOLL: Bob "Tassie" Johnson Graham Wise Ken Emselle

19/20: Graeme Jacobs Graeme WatsonGoals Barrie Vagg 4 Ken Emselle 2 Ron Barassi Barry Bourke Ray Groom Best Ray Groom Bob "Tassie" Johnson Brian Roet Ron Barassi "Hassa" Mann Frank "Bluey" Adams

Graeme Jacobs made his debut for the club on a day when Bob "Tassie" Johnson and Hassa Mann both reached their 100 game milestones but they were upstaged by two teenagers in Carl Ditterich, 18, and Ian Cooper, 17.

The Demons got to within five points early in the last quarter, but St. Kilda was too strong and the loss left the visitors on 2 wins and 2 defeats for the season.

The Liberal Party candidate for the local seat of St. Kilda was Melbourne's own Brian Dixon but he missed out on this unique opportunity of impressing his electorate through injury.

The following day my father took me to Olympic Park to see my first game of soccer. Everton beat Australia 8-2. I had started barracking for Melbourne but because our dad hated Aussie rules we never went.