Paul Roos on AFL360

I would hate to see Watts play as a key forward. He has tried this and failed then went to the back line. The bloke has only just been drilled to play midfield and he should be left there. Let Watts develop into a quality midfielder, we cant critisise the clubs development of young players the advocate moving Watts out of the position he has trained for all summer. He is not going to outmark any key defender and for us to have chance he needs to be the one delivering the ball insde 50. if Gawn is fit he needs to come in. I was impressed with young Max King in the preseason and would rather give him a trot than continue the flawed approach of Watts being used as a Jack of all trades.

I think Roos comments were about the team looking different and having a different attitude rather than massive position changes, at least I hope so. One of the missing elements is confidence and that wont be created through wholesale changes. Bringing out the hatchet after a bad loss was Neeld's approach. I remember Craig early one season saying to the media the risk of responding with the hatchet to bad losses is creating a merry go round of players coming in and out and lossing stability and having player constantly worried about mistakes and getting dropped. The list is limited and there are only so many options. I hope Roos shows some faith in the players and doesn't respond like Neeld.

• Like 1

I think Roos comments were more about making the players mentally freshen up, rather than settling into old habits as they did against West Coast.

New positions and roles just to challenge their mindset, not as a permanent move.

Anything too familiar will just reinforce reflex reactions of old.

Handballing at your teammates' feet, self-preservation, panicked fumbling, lack of working for and trust in your teammates...

All the old, dare I say it, demons.

• Like 1

even listening to him there it just seems the biggest issue is the confidence that has been destroyed, Roosy will be spending this year deciding who can be saved and who can't, i expect alot of list changes at the end of the year.

He is right the club needs a massive injection of confidence, a spark something that gets these guys playing at their best. To me it has to be an injection of speed, nothing better than seeing players run and carry the football, running away from players taking a couple of bounces. With that in mind Blease, Kent and Evans need to come in all three can carry the football and Kent can kick it 60m. I would like to see Jetta get a game in our back 6, that hard edge and his foot and evasive skills are good.

We have to many players that go through the motions, get players in that are fighting for their AFL survival or have the hunger.

Watts forward? Because he's great at taking uncontested chest marks inside 50 without a oppostion player near him....... no wait!

The worst thing is he worked incredibly hard to get into that position to take that simple chest mark.

He gets lazy on the most easiest of things and we have baked him for it mercilessly.

Frankly, I can't see the vision at work so I won't comment on what Roos said but the reaction here is 'same old, same old - getting flogged in every facet of the game.'

That is simply not the case, we are up there in every contest and almost every measured area of the game, but our errors are catastrophic and I mentioned this after the Richmond game in the NAB Challenge - we are going to have these monumental errors because of the game style that Roos wants to play. Robinson is right - this 'bunch' is not suited to possession footy with a low margin, and tolerance, of error.

Now, Roos has had to have thought about this and come to the conclusion that it is best for the 15 players who we will keep long term to play this style and develop good habits and execution even if it means that a great number of the current list cannot implement the game style effectively.

I heartily agree with this, but I know it means that the players will be challenged immeasurably and they may struggle to cope and keep (build) their confidence.

Fans screaming at their supposed 'lack of heart' isn't helping - there was plenty of heart in the 22 on Sunday - just not enough talent.

• Like 9

I don't know if it has been mentioned previously - Derm said last night on SEN's The Run Home with Ox that Roos tore shreds off the team after the match. Derm was told that it was biggest spray the team has ever seen, supposedly the assistant Coaches had to step in.

About time I say.

Edited by Wormburner
  • Like 1

I don't know if it has been mentioned previously - Derm said last night on SEN's The Run Home with Ox that Roos tore shreds off the team after the match. Derm was told that it was biggest spray the team has ever seen, supposedly the assistant Coaches had to step in.

About time I say.

Probably [censored] if Brereton said it

About time I say.

It wouldn't surprise me. The sooner members of this team understand non negotiables and significantly reduce hesitant blunders, clangers, missed tackles, poor efficiency and turnovers the better everyones health in and around 'Demonland' will be.

• Like 1

I have a feeling this is our line in the sand moment.

Reckon we will run out and rip heads off on Sunday.

I hope you're right... this is one of the only games I get to attend all year; would be nice to see a win for a change (although I'm not confident I will get my wish).

• Like 3

I feel a lot better after hearing that.
As Roos pointed out, he was answering an individual question. Secondly when asked about his own performance, he said used the word 'deplorable'. That was a mile stronger than what he said about the players. I wonder if Grant Thomas will include that in his Twitter feed? Thirdly, he said straight up he never sprayed the players and reiterated what he has always said, spraying players after the match is counterproductive.

. Roos was asked about it on 360. He said it was bollocks and only spoke to the team for 5 minutes.

I saw him say that last night as well - he didn't quite smash the rumour but it's not what you expect from Roosy. We will probably never know if it really ever happened but personally I hope it happened as I really am just disgusted now that a group of individuals can be so poor and so leaderless and fold so easily.

Anyway moving on (as I hope the players do) as annoyed as I've been with our performance so far I am actually excited to see what Roos does this week.... it's sad I know but I'm living on hope as that's all I've got left haha

I saw him say that last night as well - he didn't quite smash the rumour but it's not what you expect from Roosy. We will probably never know if it really ever happened but personally I hope it happened as I really am just disgusted now that a group of individuals can be so poor and so leaderless and fold so easily.

Anyway moving on (as I hope the players do) as annoyed as I've been with our performance so far I am actually excited to see what Roos does this week.... it's sad I know but I'm living on hope as that's all I've got left haha

I would have thought that saying it wasn't true, pretty much "smashed" the rumour.

• Like 1

The worst thing is he worked incredibly hard to get into that position to take that simple chest mark.

He gets lazy on the most easiest of things and we have baked him for it mercilessly.

Frankly, I can't see the vision at work so I won't comment on what Roos said but the reaction here is 'same old, same old - getting flogged in every facet of the game.'

That is simply not the case, we are up there in every contest and almost every measured area of the game, but our errors are catastrophic and I mentioned this after the Richmond game in the NAB Challenge - we are going to have these monumental errors because of the game style that Roos wants to play. Robinson is right - this 'bunch' is not suited to possession footy with a low margin, and tolerance, of error.

Now, Roos has had to have thought about this and come to the conclusion that it is best for the 15 players who we will keep long term to play this style and develop good habits and execution even if it means that a great number of the current list cannot implement the game style effectively.

I heartily agree with this, but I know it means that the players will be challenged immeasurably and they may struggle to cope and keep (build) their confidence.

Fans screaming at their supposed 'lack of heart' isn't helping - there was plenty of heart in the 22 on Sunday - just not enough talent.

Completely agree

One quote really caught my attention:

"This could be a completely different team, with players in completely different positions when we run out on Sunday"

Make of that what you will

Garland returns, releases Dunn to CHF and Georgiou and Pederson stay back with Frawley, allowing McDonald to go forward?

Fitzgerald will miss -probably was not right last week. I'd bring in another runner, say Blease under instruction to run himself into the ground - maybe Evans too.

Bail showed a bit of dash last week but chops it up so I'd be inclined to leave him out with Fitzy.

But the players out of position line is Dunn following on from his last quarter forward stint with Tommy Mac up there as well. Watts stays a mid and feeds it to Dunn who goals from 55 meters - how cool would that be?

Edited by pitmaster

What i dont get is how we can lose confidence overnight.

We looked great in the Richmond game.

And when Roos says he had not seen the fumbling and skill errors before he is not just referring to other teams he coached, but to our mob on the training track.

What we saw Sunday was a group with fragile confidence fold under the sustained pressure applied by a team likely to finish top six.

Two ruckman - one a true champion the other an athletic freakshow - against a novice, and a strong midfield against one learning to play together. Once those clearance numbers started to build we collapsed and I think it's the fragility of the mental game that shook Roos and that he was referring to.

• Like 1

I hope he didn't. I don't think the fumbles and mistakes are laziness I think they are a lack of confidence.

Agreed. Whilst most seem to agree that the talent is thin and the list requires another turnover, there were players who severely underperformed on Sunday.

The skills in the first couple of rounds have been just about as bad as I can recall, and they've proven in the past that they are better at these fundamentals.

Roos biggest task is instilling confidence in them. Jones insists the group has faith in the gameplan. That's good. Now they need faith in themselves and each other. Once they have that, they will start to be a competitive team.

Richmond were going about 75-80% and we were flat out and we just got over the line.

And it was weeks ago. We've been in a steady decline since, for whatever reason.

• Like 1