POST MATCH DISCUSSION

Demonland

A quote from the captain on 10 News!! Nathan Jones stated that he didn't think that everyone was trying. No one can question his endeavour and in an era of spin and lets not say what we are l thinking, I am surprised but pleased to hear the captain state what many of us feel. So who wasn't trying yesterday? I thought Jeremy Howe's body language was disappointing and am not sure Fitzy was on the same wavelength as the rest and maybe still feeling the effects of the previous week.

Jonesy is spot on.

What right does this list have to take that attitude onto the ground with our previous 8 year performance.

If Roos doesn't eradicate this crap attitude THIS WEEK the MFC is in serious doubt.

I am sure the marketing manager and CEO of China Southern Airlines would love to see that grab from Jonesy

Agree that we need to back the Roos regime. He is a proven coach and a proven manager of people - we are very fortunate we have him on board steering the ship instead of some unknown who could take the club further back.

I do take comfort from having him there and will back in his list management and understanding of where we're at. What made last year so hard was that in addition to the thrashings, I didn't agree with Neeld's list management strategy and had no confidence in the direction he was taking us.

I reckon time has proven you correct Scoop.

But in saying that I think it's naive blaiming all our woes on Neeld (not saying you are but it is used a lot). As I stated earlier the MFC has been it's own worst enemy and i don't know what reputations the players have been dreaming of that they have....

I firmly believe Roos is our man - it's pretty obvious it's not going to happen overnight (which does sadden me it's been bloody disappointing so far 2014) but I agree with you about actually having faith in the Roos direction over Neeld

I liked Neeld only because I thought he'd eventually toughen up this squad - he failled and only fractured the group further. I heard Dermie say he heard Roos gave the players the biggest and most direct spray he reckons the MFC players have ever heard after the WCE game - will be interesting to see what happens

Roosy has the runs on the board so if they don't take that on board we're f'd again ...

Edited by Whispering_Jack

A quote from the captain on 10 News!! Nathan Jones stated that he didn't think that everyone was trying. No one can question his endeavour and in an era of spin and lets not say what we are l thinking, I am surprised but pleased to hear the captain state what many of us feel. So who wasn't trying yesterday? I thought Jeremy Howe's body language was disappointing and am not sure Fitzy was on the same wavelength as the rest and maybe still feeling the effects of the previous week.

Here is a chance for Jonesy to stamp his authority on the group.

In the last couple of years, due to no fault of their own, Grimesy and Trenners couldn't confront those not pulling their weight. Why? Because, Trenners was still working to establish himself as a player and Grimes was injured a lot of the time (most of last year as a matter of fact). They couldn't criticize because one wasn't in form and one had struggled to get on the paddock.

Nate? How could anyone at the club say that he isn't in a position to critique some of his teammates? With two straight B&F's and being our best player the last two weeks, no one would dare to question his contribution to the team. He is pulling his weight.

I reckon time has proven you correct Scoop.

But in saying that I think it's naive blaiming all our woes on Neeld (not saying you are but it is used a lot). As I stated earlier the MFC has been it's own worst enemy and i don't know what reputations the players have been dreaming of that they have....

I firmly believe Roos is our man - it's pretty obvious it's not going to happen overnight (which does sadden me it's been bloody disappointing so far 2014) but I agree with you about actually having faith in the Roos direction over Neeld

I liked Neeld only because I thought he'd eventually toughen up this squad - he failled and only fractured the group further. I heard Dermie say he heard Roos gave the players the biggest and most direct spray he reckons the MFC players have ever heard after the WCE game - will be interesting to see what happens

Roosy has the runs on the board so if they don't take that on board we're f'd again........

UH if Dermy's rumour is on the money and there's a good chance it was, i can only hope that Roos follows through with actions and not just words.

If so, it won't be the club that's f'd .... it will be those players who are unable, or unwilling to follow Roosy's non-negotiables.

• Like 1

Here is a chance for Jonesy to stamp his authority on the group.

In the last couple of years, due to no fault of their own, Grimesy and Trenners couldn't confront those not pulling their weight. Why? Because, Trenners was still working to establish himself as a player and Grimes was injured a lot of the time (most of last year as a matter of fact). They couldn't criticize because one wasn't in form and one had struggled to get on the paddock.

Nate? How could anyone at the club say that he isn't in a position to critique some of his teammates? With two straight B&F's and being our best player the last two weeks, no one would dare to question his contribution to the team. He is pulling his weight.

Excellent point Colin. Our leader's stepping up and it would seem Roos has provided him that voice.

My hope is that this is our Geelong "2006" line in the sand year. Enough is enough.

Edited by Rusty Nails

Roos denied baking the players on AFL 360 tonight. Stated post match with players went about 4 minutes and he wasn't angry. Even better at the review today he handed over to the players to analyse. Roos and Bomber discussing post match and moving forward possibly some of the best T.V. I have seen for a while. I hope this is the building of that culture we so admire at other clubs. It starts with Jones and the leadership group and so fresh faces next week

That is a big call for Jones to make. Players not trying in Round 2 is unheard of and something you would only see at this club.

Definitely has to be statements made. You give 100% or you DO NOT PLAY.

Edited by P-man

I love this from Jones. I hope the culprits are called out and questioned in front of the group with no where to hide.

Some of these guys need to jump into neelds reality bus back to suburban footy and a average mans wage!

That is a big call for Jones to make. Players not trying in Round 2 is unheard of and something you would only see at this club.

Definitely has to be statements made. You give 100% or you DO NOT PLAY.

line.......in.........sand

Agree, big call.....but, surprise, surprise, the list is shite?

You can put the shite list excuse to the side... Even a shite list can contest everything within the game at 100% of their skill and 100% of the time.

Not always.

The shite list played with fear and had no expectations, no goals, no personal altruism.

That they did but it is not acceptable. I played in a very undermanned U17 team from the age of 9 due to being in a country area bereft of lots of kids. Most kids just made up the numbers but we gave it 100% every single game no matter if we were 30 goals down.

That's what I expect from our list.

Not always.

The shite list played with fear and had no expectations, no goals, no personal altruism.

Some were like bunnies in headlights... and not necessarily the newbies

It was interesting to see Mike Fitzpatrick sitting up with the PJ and others watching the game.

Let's hope he takes back an unbiased view of the amount of help we still need.

We have recovered some ground with our off field group.

But, Yesterday showed where exactly we are On Field in comparison to the top 6 sides.

I was hopeful of winning 5-6 games this year. That will be an immense struggle.

It was interesting to see Mike Fitzpatrick sitting up with the PJ and others watching the game.

Let's hope he takes back an unbiased view of the amount of help we still need.

We have recovered some ground with our off field group.

But, Yesterday showed where exactly we are On Field in comparison to the top 6 sides.

I was hopeful of winning 5-6 games this year. That will be an immense struggle.

Yeah, I agree with that.. I was looking through our draw earlier tonight, I'd be pleasantly surprised if we could manage to even win 3-4 games.

If we don't win this weekend and cannot get Clark, Dawes and Hogan on the park soon, our season is all but done.

We play GC once, St Kilda once - and we've played them - GWS twice, this weekend and later in the year.

If we can't pinch a win this weekend, a win less year might be a reality.

PJ did admit on 3AW yesterday that he expects most of our wins will come in the second half of the year. Makes sense. We'll have a forward line in place, the midfield group will be settled, Roosy will have sifted out the duds and gotten some semblance of a competitive 22 players in the side, and they'll be better accustomed to the game plan.

I still think we can turn it around quickly when things finally "click", but it's now obvious for all to see that our problems are far deeper than just poor recruitment or coaching. It's a cultural, confidence problem and that can't be fixed overnight.

The way I see it, we have a number of problems and issues at the club running together at the same time. It's still a young list with depth problems and these are biting hard at this time of the year when we can't get anything near our best on the park. The fact that most of the missing are from our taller brigade has left a gaping hole in the make up of the side when it runs out and the problem is compounded by the psychological factor among the playing group knowing that they don't have the big men around the ground and up forward to take the marks and kick the goals. We are currently physically and mentally hobbled and, once we're under the pump, the old issues stemming from a poor culture of losing over a long period of time kicks in and we tend to collapse entirely under pressure.

These issues won't go away overnight but I'm confident that Roos has identified the problems (he's alluded to it on a few occasions now) - it's a question of how is he going to deal with it because he can't conjure up the ruckmen and key position forwards he needs overnight. He is also trying to instil a new game plan that he knows can't be perfected in a short space of time so he's going to stick to that plan despite last Sunday's result. He can tinker with it at the sides and my best guess is that he will bring in one or two medium size players to instil some pace but otherwise he doesn't have a great deal of ammunition to play with at the moment.

He does have the benefit of playing against teams in the next few weeks that are nowhere near as strong as the Eagles who are, based on the two games to date and the NAB Challenge the form team of the competition and at full strength. Not that I'm taking GWS at Spotless Stadium lightly but if we can get off to a good start and not mess things up with appalling kicking for goal as we did against St. Kilda we can get things back on track fairly quickly even if there's still some pain to be experienced when we play the big guns.

• Like 2

That they did but it is not acceptable. I played in a very undermanned U17 team from the age of 9 due to being in a country area bereft of lots of kids. Most kids just made up the numbers but we gave it 100% every single game no matter if we were 30 goals down.

That's what I expect from our list.

Sorry, the days of 'playing for the jumper' are limited and limiting.

We were undermanned in many games when I was playing footy, but we gave our all.

This team hasn't given its all since Swooper Northey coached.

This group's idea of improvement is to get maximum tax benefits from a fake spray tan.

This Club needs to start 'smelling' like a footy Club again - RIP Dean Bailey.