Successor

Ted Lasso

Yes i know. But the EFC for some reason want Hird back. Now it could be spin. But even Bomba has said he will only be there for one year, and did say he may coach elsewhere. If Hird does return in September it will be most interesting.

yeah it will, Neil Craig might be a sneaky chance if Hird gets done and Bomba goes anyway, can't imagine him wanting to hang around if half the list gets done.

I think it's safe to say the idea of getting an untried senior assistant coach to take the reigns at the end of next year may well have gone up in flames last Sunday. I don't think even the AFL will let that happen now. It leaves too much to chance, especially considering the last assistant coach put us in this position.

Absolutely, what if they finish top 4 and give the flag a serious shake... Hird is gone

Hird is the golden boy at efc to the point his [censored] don't stink!

They won't get rid of him they already had the chance and didn't do it.

If fractions notices are issued then who knows.

I'm sure all coaches talk to each other. I know full well that the job is too large to hand over to an untried coach, but that is the whole point of the succession plan, it's to get an existing assistant who is capable of leading the team forward and have them come in as the senior assistant and work under Roos for a year before handing over the reins.

Sorry but Bomber isn't a senior assistant. He is a dual premiership coach FFS!

I am not against having bomber at the club, he could be a fantastic asset... the point I am making is that if the club is talking to bomber then in the space of a couple of weeks this club has done a back flip on the whole premise of 'succession' and the thing that apparently was the key factor in luring Roos to the MFC has been blown away in 120 minutes against WCE last week.

Also Roos was somewhat reluctant to come back, Bomber is no different. Said he had finished when @ Geelong, was reluctant to take over with Hirds suspension, yet now we are a chance of landing him 2 weeks into 2014.

Your right he wouldn't be a senior assistant. If it did happen, regardless of what each their (PR and bomber) titles might be, they would be equals.

what makes you think a cash starved club could afford roosy + bomba?

The club and the AFL know its probably the last role of the dice, we want to survive, they need 18 clubs, they have the cash. Our whole board has practically been put together by the AFL. AFL organised PJ to come in, I feel like they will give the club what it needs to get over the line and succeed.

And it is still a crock of [censored] DC. I cannot think of a more irrelevant discussion at the moment. We are dead in the water - next week must be our concern.

Its better than covering the info on our 2 losses this season, that haven't been covered at all…

Edited by Deez

I think it's safe to say the idea of getting an untried senior assistant coach to take the reigns at the end of next year may well have gone up in flames last Sunday. I don't think even the AFL will let that happen now. It leaves too much to chance, especially considering the last assistant coach put us in this position.

Seriously I dont think anyone wanting a career after coaching MFC would want to coach MFC. The issues at the Club are profound and its impact on the playing group is clearly deep.

And when you think the AFL, you should be thinking PJ and Roos who were installed by the AFL. We are already well on the AFL drip and are a long way from ever getting off it.

Hird is the golden boy at efc to the point his [censored] don't stink!

They won't get rid of him they already had the chance and didn't do it.

If fractions notices are issued then who knows.

6 to 12 months ago you were probably right.

However, I reckon the support for Hird is split between the true believers and those who have seen the cost and trouble to the club (also the players) and cant reconcile Hirds me first attitude.

I know a number of heavy financial EFC supporters who now seriously question Hird coming back or think he shouldnt.

Little has dug a hole for the Club.

It will be interesting to see what the reaction is if one or more players are banned from the game.

6 to 12 months ago you were probably right.

However, I reckon the support for Hird is split between the true believers and those who have seen the cost and trouble to the club (also the players) and cant reconcile Hirds me first attitude.

I know a number of heavy financial EFC supporters who now seriously question Hird coming back or think he shouldnt.

Little has dug a hole for the Club.

It will be interesting to see what the reaction is if one or more players are banned from the game.

Do you think that the sanctions will run that deep?

I reckon there might be a year outta footy for a couple of players....

PJ said the clubs successor would be in place by years end. This is a bold statement given the position we are in and what seems to be the need for a wise and experienced head.

The way I read this;

A) If it is an inexperienced senior coach, Roos must extend his contract well past 2 years - unlikely

B) The club have a verbal commitment from an experienced coach that they would take the position if offered - Ratten perhaps

C) They have a verbal commitment from an experienced coach that they would take the position should terms be agreed - Thompson perhaps

PJ said the clubs successor would be in place by years end. This is a bold statement given the position we are in and what seems to be the need for a wise and experienced head.

The way I read this;

A) If it is an inexperienced senior coach, Roos must extend his contract well past 2 years - unlikely

B) The club have a verbal commitment from an experienced coach that they would take the position if offered - Ratten perhaps

C) They have a verbal commitment from an experienced coach that they would take the position should terms be agreed - Thompson perhaps

Wasn't that sorta words that were put in PJ's mouth? I thought i recalled a journo asking if it would be ideal to have an assistant by years end, and Pj responded yes.

and from there it was said that 'PJ said the assistant will be in place by years end'?

Unless i missed some footage which is pretty plausible lol

• Like 1

Wasn't that sorta words that were put in PJ's mouth? I thought i recalled a journo asking if it would be ideal to have an assistant by years end, and Pj responded yes.

and from there it was said that 'PJ said the assistant will be in place by years end'?

Unless i missed some footage which is pretty plausible lol

I think that's what happened and Damien Barrett kinda ran with it as if he was setting a deadline.

I think the successor would largely depend on where we are in 3 years time.

Assuming Roos goes 3 years and then wants out, if we are well and truly on the path to success then I don't have problem ( and I would suggest the board as well ) with a Roos appointed and trained successor.

However if we are still in the fledgling stages of recovery do you think that the board would be comfortable with an untried at the helm, albeit a Roos trained untried ? I would suggest they might think that it is too big a risk to the hints of progress and go with an experienced successful coach.

Roos has said he will leave us in a much a better place when he leaves. The place would have to be much better for a board to risk an unproven coach.

Postscript - I don't think posters should get too married to the idea of the succession plan. I have seen them in business as well and they are fluid. A successor appointed today for three years time makes the assumption that he is the right person for where we will be in that time in the future. If we are in different position in the future the successor may not be right.

Edited by nutbean
  • Like 3

Ive heard Brett Ratton and we were really big on (but as we know seemingly missed out on) Stuie Dew

Longmire has just been given an extension so that may mean Dew comes back into the frame. Also I am certain that Woosha will coach again.

Left field idea...

Luke Power, 3 time premiership player, played under Leigh mathews, playing assistant/assistant for 2 years under Sheedy and potentially 2 years under Roosy

Left field idea...

Luke Power, 3 time premiership player, played under Leigh mathews, playing assistant/assistant for 2 years under Sheedy and potentially 2 years under Roosy

Still think the job is too big and delicate for an untried coach.

This club is right on the edge and will be for 2-3 years at least.

Last sunday showed me that. Our playing list falls apart once the ball is bounced.

Last sunday showed me that. Our playing list falls apart once the ball is bounced.

I agree, but if we choose to pay someone like Bomber, we have to get the person right, that sort of money involved we get one try, although based on our performances it might be that way anyway

i reckon Roosy took the job because he saw the comparison to fitzroy and desperately wanted to avoid that happening again.

I tend to agree with you regarding untried coaches.

If Roos committed for 3 years AND they got the senior coach at the end of this year to work with him for two... perhaps that could work.

What about if Rawlings was selected as the senior coach at the end of the year. Has been around for long enough.

Whilst I think that our list falls apart at the moment. I can see it turning quickly as well however. Perhaps it just takes some consistent efforts over a couple of weeks with a couple of wins... the players to believe...

I tend to agree with you regarding untried coaches.

If Roos committed for 3 years AND they got the senior coach at the end of this year to work with him for two... perhaps that could work.

What about if Rawlings was selected as the senior coach at the end of the year. Has been around for long enough.

Whilst I think that our list falls apart at the moment. I can see it turning quickly as well however. Perhaps it just takes some consistent efforts over a couple of weeks with a couple of wins... the players to believe...

Jade Rawlings is obviously highly regarded. But i would worry because he is a voice the players already know. This club needs outside people to pull it upwards.

I agree, but if we choose to pay someone like Bomber, we have to get the person right, that sort of money involved we get one try, although based on our performances it might be that way anyway

i reckon Roosy took the job because he saw the comparison to fitzroy and desperately wanted to avoid that happening again.

it's not a money issue. Only the best coaches will turn this around.

Roos told Bomba how big his salary is.

Bomba now interested in coaching the MFC.

End of story.

• Like 1

My prime candidate would be Ratten, if he's interested.

Still a relatively inexperienced coach compared to the likes of Roos and Bomber but I'd place my faith in him. He was very stiff to get the axe at Carlton and was doing a better job with their list than old Mick is now.

He was the first one I thought of last year before Roos became a possibility. In fact at some point during the nightmare round 2 game v Essendon I mentioned to my brother I thought Ratten could be the next coach.

Money talks. Bomber might like the idea of 5 years on 1.2 to 1.5mil. He would know a fair bit about Melbourne's list given he's working with Neil Craig now at Essendon. And you can clearly tell he and Roosy have been talking off camera Monday nights on 360. They probably spend at least an hour in the green room before the show.

Their discussion Monday night was thrilling. Even Robbo said on air they need to extend their segment.

• Like 2

Do you think that the sanctions will run that deep?

I reckon there might be a year outta footy for a couple of players....

I should have said for a period.

I think if there is enough outrage over the number of players infracted and the length of their ban. If it's a few players and a 2 year ban then Hird won't have much to coach!

• Like 1

Money talks. Bomber might like the idea of 5 years on 1.2 to 1.5mil. He would know a fair bit about Melbourne's list given he's working with Neil Craig now at Essendon. And you can clearly tell he and Roosy have been talking off camera Monday nights on 360. They probably spend at least an hour in the green room before the show.

Their discussion Monday night was thrilling. Even Robbo said on air they need to extend their segment.

Do you reckon the AFL would spend that sort of money if it has already pizzed $3m on a failed effort on Roos.

Money talks but it does not grow on trees.

What a line !!!!!! Jack Dyer would be cackling!! WYL , you have encapsulated our teams performance and our supporters dismay over the last several years. Yep we are optimistic .... everything looks good .... bring it on ................. FMD another thrashing.