James Strauss?

dazzledavey36

that is my opinion as well nutbean.

you preserve with good players not average ones that are injury prone

I three quarters agree- I have no idea after almost 6 seasons if he is good bad or average and that's the problem for me.

So he gets fit and gets on ground to prove what others see in him or I reckon he is gone. This injury IF it is longer term doesnt help his cause.

I'm not negative. He has played a handful of senior games where he has been OK. His praccy form against the tigers was good.

Bottom line for him is that this is his year where he steps up and becomes a regular. If he continues in the same form and injury record of his previous seasons there wont be another season to follow. There are a few in that boat.

He wasn't much more than a link up player in my opinion, people need to watch Dean Terlich and Jack Grimes, they were both far better off half back than Strauss

Offensively terlich and grimes are better, but terlich always tries to do too much and grimes is prone to turn it over! Strauss defensively is far superior to both these players and his kicking is often better aswell, his problem is he continues to struggle to find the mix between running off and playing defensively! This could have been encouraged by Neeld as I feel he stifled lots of the run out of our back half, but Strauss is highly underrated, and often was providing support and manning tall forwards who were not his direct opponent Edited by Mad_Melbourne

My opinion is based on the following

- I have not seen every game he has played

- he has been out for a large number of games over his six seasons at the club for a number of different problems

- My judgment of the games I have seen is that he is an average player in his best games.

- Besides an honest trier I don't see any skill that suggests he would get a games with any side in the top 12 teams.

Just an ordinary player who is often injured for long periods.

-

To quote you

"I'm with you Don. I don't get how negative people are about Strauss.

I went to last weeks game and some whacker was from the get go yelling insults at Strauss - the biggest one when he turned the ball over (which incidentally did not result in a goal). What's worse (and a complete pet hate of mine) was he was a MFC supporter. So i really watched Strauss closely and yelled my support when he went near the ball.

Strauss played really well in the tigers game. He linked up well, was solid with his handball (often getting the ball to free players behind him in space) and after the turnover in the first q barely missed a kick. His only real misstep was the fumble on the wing that allowed the tiges to regain possession and stopped a potentially promising move. Whilst the tigers then scored a goal its a bit of a stretch to blame him for it given it was on the wing. Even if you do blame him for that goal he got one back with a beautiful kick from half back to half forward to, i think Bail who then gave it to Howe for a goal.

I got home and was surprised when i jumped on DL how many people were bagging him. So when i watched the replay i again watched Strauss closely. And again all i saw was a good, solid game from a player who had a role and carried it out. I've read people say he lacks awareness and that he is too easily beaten one on one. I saw nothing that supports either assertion, particularly the former criticism.

And as for the kicking turnover? You have to be kidding. There were far worse culprits, Frawley (whose turnover actually cost a goal, at what was a critical time in the match) Trenners, Grimes, Michie, Vince and Jones just to name a few. Jones was also guilty of trying to do much (and perhaps lacking awareness?) and giving away a goal when he got caught near their goals

He was, in my view, in our top ten players on the night and i suspect if injury free will be in our round 1 side (which if the case indicates Roos is also a fan)." End Quotes

The Fence View..................

Well I was at he game and I'll stick to my opinion which I reiterate

HE LACKS AWARENESS This is critical in todays game, gets caught because he has no innate peripheral Vision about where his opponents actually are! Result he either gets caught or pannicks into a poor choice option!

HE HAS AVEARAGE KICKING SKILLS For a player recruited for his so called "Elite" delivery he lets you down time and again. As you suggest There may well have been worse culprits BUT, BUT For his strength to be letting him down so regularly this then is a catasphrophic situation.

HE IS TOO EASILY OUTPOSITIONED witnessed time and again in many games he has played.

NO X FACTOR says it all!

Gee we embrace mediocrity like no other club supporters

Edited by picket fence

Fence, perhaps we were at a different game.

To quote you:

' HE HAS AVEARAGE (sic) KICKING SKILLS For a player recruited for his so called "Elite" delivery he lets you down time and again. As you suggest There may well have been worse culprits BUT, BUT For his strength to be letting him down so regularly this then is a catasphrophic (sic) situation.'

Catastrophic? Seriously? I couldn't find his disposal efficiency stats however as i said i watched him very closely at the ground and when i watched the replay. I reckon he only made one kicking error and no handball errors. Pretty elite sort of stats i would have thought. To top that off there were at least 2 beautiful kicks where he hit a target 40-50 meters away. One led directly to a goal and was a great example of turning defense into attack.

Oh and the player he played on for most of the night - their key forward (a bigger, stronger player) did not kick a goal. And before you say oh but he missed 3 shots as another poster noted 2 of those he was not on Edwards at the time and one was a bullet pass that no one would have stopped.

As an example of how blinkered some can be, in the game thread a poster bagged him for losing Edwards when Edwards doubled back and then led hard into the pocket. This was used, IIRC as an example of his lack of awareness. All well and good except for the fact it wasn't Strauss who was on Edwards in that play!

Edited by binman
  • Like 2

I'm with you Don. I don't get how negative people are about Strauss.

I went to last weeks game and some whacker was from the get go yelling insults at Strauss - the biggest one when he turned the ball over (which incidentally did not result in a goal). What's worse (and a complete pet hate of mine) was he was a MFC supporter. So i really watched Strauss closely and yelled my support when he went near the ball.

Strauss played really well in the tigers game. He linked up well, was solid with his handball (often getting the ball to free players behind him in space) and after the turnover in the first q barely missed a kick. His only real misstep was the fumble on the wing that allowed the tiges to regain possession and stopped a potentially promising move. Whilst the tigers then scored a goal its a bit of a stretch to blame him for it given it was on the wing. Even if you do blame him for that goal he got one back with a beautiful kick from half back to half forward to, i think Bail who then gave it to Howe for a goal.

I got home and was surprised when i jumped on DL how many people were bagging him. So when i watched the replay i again watched Strauss closely. And again all i saw was a good, solid game from a player who had a role and carried it out. I've read people say he lacks awareness and that he is too easily beaten one on one. I saw nothing that supports either assertion, particularly the former criticism.

And as for the kicking turnover? You have to be kidding. There were far worse culprits, Frawley (whose turnover actually cost a goal, at what was a critical time in the match) Trenners, Grimes, Michie, Vince and Jones just to name a few. Jones was also guilty of trying to do much (and perhaps lacking awareness?) and giving away a goal when he got caught near their goals.

He was, in my view, in our top ten players on the night and i suspect if injury free will be in our round 1 side (which if the case indicates Roos is also a fan).

I'm not saying Strauss is a star or that he doesn't have limitations. But I really believe he is the sort of player Roos is referring to when he talks about players carrying mental scars as that hesitancy people have noted, is, i think, in part a product of poor coaching and development. I reckon he has, like many of his team mates, been playing with fear - fear to make a mistake, fear of not following the rules, fear of failure etc - which causes them to freeze and not back themselves.

Once he gets more confident, and has a coach who encourages him to back himself and play with some freedom (from being criticised as much as anything else) i think he will become a regular best 22 player and be exactly the sort of role player Roos loves.

A rational, detailed and fair analysis. You won't be popular on this site!

• Like 2

I'm with you Don. I don't get how negative people are about Strauss.

I just don't see what he brings to the table that's all binman. I never have seen anything at all from his game that makes me think he warrants a game in the ones.

Over my time I have probably seen more twos games then seniors anyway and he never set the world on fire for the Scorps either.

I know he has been injured a lot and in that matter I do feel for him but once your on the park you are 100%, no excuses.

I would never boo him and I am not the type to yell out abuse at my own team and I admit there are probably fewer times I put my head in my hands out of frustration from Strauss in comparison to when Terlich/Frawley and Grimes kick the ball. But those three have toughness, continually put there bodies on the line and can defend. I don't think Strauss is a natural defender or is that hard at the ball.

If he is in the team Rd 1 he will get a fair crack at it as Roos isn't the type to make big changes each week. I think we will know a lot more about James at the end of the season.

I really do wish him well and hope he becomes a solid backman but I can't see it.

• Like 4

If he has a serious knee injury do you see him getting another contract Machsy?

Yes, I do. Definitely. I'm an unashamed fan & ill be shocked if he doesn't get a contract, and he'd likely end up elsewhere on an AFL list.

Can be much more damaging off a HBF than either of Clisby, Terlich or Grimes.

Also not as bad a defender as many portray him.

As I've said many times, there's a lot of people judging him based on performances early in his 2nd year, and, dare I say it, confirmation bias.

I rate Strauss. I disagree with many of the comments on this thread. I am sure we all hope he can prove me right.

I rate him too.

Highly.

• Like 2

I just don't see what he brings to the table that's all binman. I never have seen anything at all from his game that makes me think he warrants a game in the ones.

Over my time I have probably seen more twos games then seniors anyway and he never set the world on fire for the Scorps either.

I know he has been injured a lot and in that matter I do feel for him but once your on the park you are 100%, no excuses.

I would never boo him and I am not the type to yell out abuse at my own team and I admit there are probably fewer times I put my head in my hands out of frustration from Strauss in comparison to when Terlich/Frawley and Grimes kick the ball. But those three have toughness, continually put there bodies on the line and can defend. I don't think Strauss is a natural defender or is that hard at the ball.

If he is in the team Rd 1 he will get a fair crack at it as Roos isn't the type to make big changes each week. I think we will know a lot more about James at the end of the season.

I really do wish him well and hope he becomes a solid backman but I can't see it.

Good points, well made. I have seen hardly any of his games for the scorps and i guess he's played a few. Having watched him a bit at that level you are in a better position than i to make an assessment, particularly regarding his preparedness to put his body on the line.

As i've said i wonder if he is carrying a bit of baggage and i am hopeful he will respond to Roos positive, encouraging approach. Roos loves players who play a role and his game plan is dependent on players hitting targets with their kicks. I can see Strauss ticking both boxes.

But yes, well see and l suspect that this year is a make or break one for him.

• Like 1

Those that don't rate Strauss, have you not seen his long penetrative kicking?

It's like Tingay of old. It really is damaging when he gets the opportunity to use it.

He had a handful of those against Richmond, a particular beauty that put Bail through on goal perfectly, that's stands out in my mind.

Aside from that, his defensive work wasn't phenomenal against Richmond, nor was it worth te denigration some are sending his way.

The kid hasn't played a lot in recent years.

But the broken leg, or getting kicked in the face by Campbell Brown can't be put in the "injury prone" box.

(NB, I don't think the old "injury prone" stereotype holds much weight, and I imagine if his body was shot the club wouldn't play him or give him a new contract).

Prior to his leg breaking he was gaining confidence, very strong through the core, made decisive, assertive movements and held his opponent well. He actually looked like a smaller version of Frawley at times.

Like others, I'd be a fool to judge him on years past rather than current form.

But we are 1 practice game into the season, and I'm not prepared to bin him based on a couple of mistakes, that have been hyped into some believing he had a poor performance.

And speaking of Frawley, his mistakes at times were costly, but a few were the result of receiving the footy, trusting his teammates had worked hard to be where they should be, bursting off in that direction, then having to pump the brakes and look for another, much-more-difficult-to-execute option, as his teammates had let him down.

Roos has drilled him to take this action and he was right in doing it, with full expectation his mates should be working into space to provide an option.

The mistake in these instances was not his.

And it made me smile to see.

The actual consideration of players such as Strauss is come renewal time will they justify the taking of a list spot having showed not a lot, or does the club refresh with another pick. Given there has to be an amount of turnover then easily the least impact players are first on the endangered list.

James would be on it currently . Its up to him to show otherwise. Personally id be surprised if he were still a Dee in 15

• Like 1

The thing that I get confused by is how people say he is poor defensively, i think this is his strongest asset and was probably a reason why when watching him at casey people often said he didnt get enough of the football. He is often too defensively minded and this is why players like terlich and clisby were playing games ahead of him as they are much more noticeable by getting stats.

Strauss has all the attributes to be a key small defender for us, but the thing that is best is the kick outs that he did take against richmond were definitely positives out of the square. They dont count in his stats but he also had 20 odd touches, which if it is a sign for things to come he has improved the offensive side of his game.

None the less, i really like him as a player, even if it is for depth (at worst case) and would rather him keep a spot on the list for the next 3 years, than replacing him with someone not as strong yet and not ready for afl

The thing that I get confused by is how people say he is poor defensively, i think this is his strongest asset and was probably a reason why when watching him at casey people often said he didnt get enough of the football. He is often too defensively minded and this is why players like terlich and clisby were playing games ahead of him as they are much more noticeable by getting stats.

Strauss has all the attributes to be a key small defender for us, but the thing that is best is the kick outs that he did take against richmond were definitely positives out of the square. They dont count in his stats but he also had 20 odd touches, which if it is a sign for things to come he has improved the offensive side of his game.

None the less, i really like him as a player, even if it is for depth (at worst case) and would rather him keep a spot on the list for the next 3 years, than replacing him with someone not as strong yet and not ready for afl

Last year every VFL game they praised him for his defensive work but often said he didn't get enough of the footy. Everyone said no point having good skills if you don't get enough of it. This year, he had 22 touches in the NAB Cup, and now it's defensive ability. At training on Wednesday they were training in a going away to Alice group and a not going, and Clisby was only bought into the main group after Strauss went off on the cart. Two weeks in a row he's been placed in front and for good reason. He WILL be our go to man in the back line to rebound 50. Watching the two intraclubs it's clear players are being instructed to use him coming out.

God forbid Jay Kennedy Harris doesn't have two offensive tackles on here one week, Demonland will be in meltdown that he's lost his pace.

• Like 2

Never Ever could understand how he even made the list much less stayed on it. Lacks awareness, Speed, X factor, and his supposed kicking skills are not that good ( witness his shocking turnover last week) I know those that love him say Yeah but he had a badly broken leg but he clearly aint up to it and never will be!

Plenty in front for his place!

Yeah agreed.

sad to say, another kid who looked quality when given time and space to move in tac cup (blease, maric, gysberts) but a long way off being an afl-level player.

i think Strauss is the type who will do very well under Roosy's style. he's the No D*^@# type Roosy's fond of, & will teach very well.

maybe not a naturally creative footballer but will be a real role type player, who'll be a team player. if he can get fit ai think he's be OK in 18 months time. taking some time to relearn after a stunted learning curve.

Offensively terlich and grimes are better, but terlich always tries to do too much and grimes is prone to turn it over! Strauss defensively is far superior to both these players and his kicking is often better aswell, his problem is he continues to struggle to find the mix between running off and playing defensively! This could have been encouraged by Neeld as I feel he stifled lots of the run out of our back half, but Strauss is highly underrated, and often was providing support and manning tall forwards who were not his direct opponent

we can't tell anything from last season as thee players weren't playing for the club.. so form was non,,, & so battlers can't show us what they've got, in that sort of Mix.