New coach Paul Roos shocked by Demons' scars

Undeeterred

Daniher would've turned the club around quicker than the last 2 losers that replaced him, lets [censored] can the only coach to take us to finals in the last 15 years, what a joke.

Harsh but true-ish (I'm not sure he could have turned us around a THIRD time). The blaming of ND for our failures over the last 7 years is so far off the mark that it's not funny.

More Neeld bashing.

Narcissistic, lazy, unaccountable footballers who'd drink their own bath water. No wonder Scully left.

Roos should have conducted himself with more diplomacy in the interview.

Don't expect to see Clark appearing any time soon.

Agree particularly with the second line. As far as I'm concerned no group of individuals with any sense of pride in their club or themselves rolls over the way our players did down in Geelong that day or against Essendon last year. Ordinary coaching and poor admin aside the players been nothing other than an embarrassment most of the last 6 or so years and made it really hard to stick fat with the club.

As others have said we're now seeing the clubs last roll of the dice. I can't believe that I am now at the point where I almost don't care what happens.

• Like 1

I don't think there was any Neeld bashing at all. If there was a perception that there was any, it was probably coming from people who still really believe that things were going to improve under him. Roos spoke about how the group was scarred.There was no mention of who did the scarring but we can probably guess and it wasn't probably just the head coaches.

It's also realistic to point out that we shouldn't get too far ahead of ourselves. I remember last season when we recruited Byrnes, Dawes, Rodan, Pedersen and Gillies and Neeld told us the club was 'feeling bullish and would surprise some people'. The 'Land erupted into a burst of self congratulation which I noted at the time was a bit premature. Well, he looked like a nice goose after that statement. I would say thinking about what you say before you say it is an important part of being a functional adult (something a few on this board could stand to learn).

Not so subtle sub text.

Not so subtle sub text.

As was mentioned before, he also raised the handling of Jack Watts (a Bailey era experiment) and that ridiculous pre match show they put on. Roosy also stressed that he didn't want to go over old ground (at least he did in the Hun interview). I thought he was quite subtle in saying what he did. He could have gone all Terry Wallace and said he had walked into a basketcase but due to the kind of bloke he is, he didn't.

The fact is that players have been given way too much spin over the last two years and sadly, that coincides with Neeldy's period. Unrealistic promises were made and they all exploded in the football clubs face. Roosy hasn't individualized in that piece but he has told the truth.

A lot of us were saying the same thing as PR is saying now (myself included). There were some head wobblers among the playing group but they came to believe they didn't belong. The scars of the last 7 years need to be healed.

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

As was mentioned before, he also raised the handling of Jack Watts (a Bailey era experiment) and that ridiculous pre match show they put on. Roosy also stressed that he didn't want to go over old ground (at least he did in the Hun interview). I thought he was quite subtle in saying what he did. He could have gone all Terry Wallace and said he had walked into a basketcase but due to the kind of bloke he is, he didn't.

He's already said that somewhere else - not the exact words, but similar.

I want him as our coach and he's smart enough to be a statesman as well….like you said, not Wallace - like.

He's already said that somewhere else - not the exact words, but similar.

I want him as our coach and he's smart enough to be a statesman as well….like you said, not Wallace - like.

And as I said, he didn't.

Rooseys just passing through long enough to pick up his 1.6-1.8 million a year.
Seeing his cushy gig at the Swans fell through he's gotta fund these Kenyan Safaris somehow.

Seeing his cushy gig at the Swans fell through he's gotta fund these Kenyan Safaris somehow.

I assume this is a poor attempt at comedy. Otherwise I suppose you'd be happy to risk your reputation on a 'basket case' just for a few more dollars than you'd be getting doing something else safer.

• Like 1

I assume this is a poor attempt at comedy. Otherwise I suppose you'd be happy to risk your reputation on a 'basket case' just for a few more dollars than you'd be getting doing something else safer.

He hasn't risked his reputation.

Keeps telling us at every turn how rubbish we are, how far back we're coming from. (as if we don't know)

How the worse he saw we were the more he was interested in the job.

How traumatised the players are.

No risk there.

We can't get worse.

Well not now with Jackson on board and abit of AFL backing.

Daniher would've turned the club around quicker than the last 2 losers that replaced him, lets [censored] can the only coach to take us to finals in the last 15 years, what a joke.

Harsh but true-ish (I'm not sure he could have turned us around a THIRD time). The blaming of ND for our failures over the last 7 years is so far off the mark that it's not funny.

Sure ND got us into finals several times but he couldn't make the "culture change" to get us to the ultimate prize, and perhaps even more importantly in a way, to consistency.

And in his last few years the tail did start waving the dog, something strong inspiring coach would never allow.

So whilst not blaming him entirely for the club's sorry state, one can't exonerate him from all responsibility.

I am with sue on this - I hope that this is a (failed) effort at humour.

• Like 1

Keeps telling us at every turn how rubbish we are, how far back we're coming from. (as if we don't know)

No risk there.

We can't get worse.

I agree, it was refreshing to hear people tell it like it is and was, but we get it now.

No need to keep reminding us.

Enjoyed reading it - insightful and encouraging - but I am not changing my view of waiting until rounds 8 - 11 to make my first decision on whether the Roos plan is working.

I particularly loved what he said about Toumpas, Viney and Hogan. They are not the saviours of the club who have to perform from day 1. He has recruited Cross and Vince to join in with N Jones to "take a few hits" for these younger players who can develop their first 30 games free of immediate selection, pressure and expectation.

And at the least it sounds like Trengove and Watts are understood as footballers.

My opinion of the first 6 rounds is quickly changing after watching some pre-season training and reading this article. It appears that the issues of game plan and morale will take some weeks to heal, and it is probably reasonable to expect only 1 win in the first 6 weeks, and possibly only 3 in the first half of the season. I hope for better than this, but the path to improvement is starting from a long way back.

• Like 3

No risk there.

We can't get worse.

We don't have to get worse to risk his reputation. We just have to not improve much.

I agree, it was refreshing to hear people tell it like it is and was, but we get it now.

No need to keep reminding us.

What else is he going to say? It's only diehard Demonland types that dwell on every word he says, so there is no harm in a bit of repetition in a broader audience. If you want us to have a media presence for all sorts of membership/sponsorship reasons then I reckon he's doing it pretty well.

• Like 1

You cant pin all the blame on Neeldy. After Daniher left it was a disaster. It was bad recruitment, bad list management, shocking administration and recruiting and lazy players and really bad recruiting and not great coaching.

Hopefully fingers crossed Roos, PJ and Bartlett will put us in the right direction. I think Roos knows what he is doing.

& a very bad two tiered culture. bruise free

Sure ND got us into finals several times but he couldn't make the "culture change" to get us to the ultimate prize, and perhaps even more importantly in a way, to consistency.

And in his last few years the tail did start waving the dog, something strong inspiring coach would never allow.

I could accept that argument if it were 2008/09. However, Neale has been gone for 8 years. His star had flamed out and it was time for someone new. Your point about how he wasn't the man who would drive the cultural change to get us to a flag is correct. However, despite rhetoric from the club that the bar is being set ever higher, the results have continued to get worse.

The bigger issue is that the rebuilds were failures and that is the collective responsibility of a group of people.

No risk there.

We can't get worse.

Have you been following the Dees for the last 4 odd years mate? We thought it couldn't get any worse after 186!

Healing wounds is what the club should have done after 186 - as i said at the time. The divisions and problems ran so deep that they simply had to be addressed if the club was to move forward. For me, failing to do so this was the biggest mistake Neeld and the then administration made (you can't blame Neeld alone the club should have ensured it happened). Instead of healing Neeld took the age old aussie male approach of drawing a line in the sand and walling off the past as if it never occurred. He said as much in that first speech that was on Dee TV. He then set about creating new trauma.

yes but when things start to come to a head like "186", it shows that there were faults at all areas players & culture very included. that is why the youth rebuild was entered into from the start.

but the hard workers were culled, & the talented but soft were kept on ?????

Have you been following the Dees for the last 4 odd years mate? We thought it couldn't get any worse after 186!

I've learnt that following the Demons is like having a bad dose of the trots.

No matter how much you've sheet, you can always sheet some more.

Some people don't like plain speak. I do. Some people like diplomacy. There's a time and a place.

Roos hasn't done many interviews, but when he does he's not in control of the questions. Even if he's occasionally repeating himself I appreciate his candour and perspective. He's managing expectations externally to protect his players. But he's also providing an environment for them to thrive.

We've had spin for 7 years, but supporters are now complaining that he's repeating himself, or too forthright with the truth ? It's the classic reminder that you can't be all things to all people.

• Like 10

Some people don't like plain speak. I do. Some people like diplomacy. There's a time and a place.

Roos hasn't done many interviews, but when he does he's not in control of the questions. Even if he's occasionally repeating himself I appreciate his candour and perspective. He's managing expectations externally to protect his players. But he's also providing an environment for them to thrive.

We've had spin for 7 years, but supporters are now complaining that he's repeating himself, or too forthright with the truth ? It's the classic reminder that you can't be all things to all people.

Well said. I'm in the 'sick of the spin' group and I found the article refreshing. There was no spin, no BS and no 'this player will be the great white hope' stuff. He was honest, candid and spot on with his comments. Bailey did some things wrong, no doubt about it, but clearly Neeld and his 'team' left us an absolute rabble that will take us some time to back up from. I don't argue that the players still hold some blame, but I feel as though many of those have moved on over the years like Moloney and Rivers.

His comment that 10 players would have walked out on the club had they been out of contract was the one that hit home the most. It will take time to heal the scars and improve the confidence but, under Roos, I'm quietly confident that we are headed in the right direction.

• Like 3