Hogan, Melbourne's hero in waiting

Whispering_Jack

I enjoy the fact that our recruiting has been labelled as a shotgun approach and was one of the reasons for our disaster season. Now that Hogan is eligible he is the hero in waiting and I think a recruiter was quoted in the HUN today saying Hogan would be the number 1 pick out of Boyd,Patton and Daniher. There seems to be plenty of praise for a player but none for the club.

Its no wonder blokes like Watts struggled with the pressure because its the [censored] media that put ridiculous headlines like this before they even play a game. Don't mind the article but please that is by far the worse heading for a 0 AFL player ever.

I know I might be going over the top but it only takes something little like a heading like that to put extra pressure and stress on a player that hasn't played a game..

Not happy.

Its no wonder blokes like Watts struggled with the pressure because its the [censored] media that put ridiculous headlines like this before they even play a game. Don't mind the article but please that is by far the worse heading for a 0 AFL player ever.

I know I might be going over the top but it only takes something little like a heading like that to put extra pressure and stress on a player that hasn't played a game..

Not happy.

Hogan's Heroes...

Seriously, that's worth whinging about?

If that affected Jesse's career in the slightest I wouldn't want him on our list.

Jesse Hogan is not Jack Watts - and I am not trying to belittle Jack in any way; with improved conditioning and positive coaching I beleive he will become a very good player if not a star - with a very different physique and temperament, and gives all appearances of being ready and very willing for the physical contest to begin.

He has also, unlike Jack, had an enforced full season playing ( and destroying) against men in VFL.

As DA says - if that puts him off he is not who we think he is or will be.

Edited by monoccular

Jesse Hogan is not Jack Watts - and I am not trying to belittle Jack in any way; with improved conditioning and positive coaching I beleive he will become a very good player if not a star - with a very different physique and temperament, and gives all appearances of being ready and very willing for the physical contest to begin.

He has also, unlike Jack, had an enforced full season playing ( and destroying) against men in VFL.

I know he will be a good player and im looking forward to seeing him play. But that heading for a 0 gamer is quite poor. We also have to remember that VFL is quite a big step up so i dont expect him to dominate straight. I just want him to earn his spot, get use to the speed and big bodies and see how we go.

Not just physique (about 15kgs at least) and temperament - in his first game he will be over a year older than Watts was in his infamous AFL debut.

Not to mention the forced proper development of playing him at Casey for year. No frustration - just the reinforced belief that he can play with and beat hardened footballers.

If only we were forced to properly develop every other kid, but that is another argument...

Not happy.

They're chalk and cheese as others have said.

I have no worry whatsoever. I will play round 1. He will hold his own I'm sure. And by the middle of the season I'm sure we'll see some impressive performances. That's being realistic.

He's not the kind of player to have no impact in a game. He's too competitive, too strong, too agile and too quick to not contribute. I expect to see a solid game in round 1 and from then on every game he'll play with more confidence.

No need to worry about Hogan. At all.

Hogan's Heroes...

Seriously, that's worth whinging about?

If that affected Jesse's career in the slightest I wouldn't want him on our list.

agreed

but remember you are talking about people who reckon Watts being tackled in his first game ruined him forever

what planet are they on

agreed

but remember you are talking about people who reckon Watts being tackled in his first game ruined him forever

what planet are they on

Playing him that early in his career, in that particular games has 100% contributed to his perceived 'slow development' as well as the the unrealistic expectations supporters placed on him, including myself.

Maybe not the tackle. But definitely that game.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

Playing him that early in his career, in that particular games has 100% contributed to his perceived 'slow development' as well as the the unrealistic expectations supporters placed on him, including myself.

OK this is probably the 5th or 6th time I have asked this question and none of you have ever given an answer

Explain to me the mechanics of playing early in a career and having slow development

Dont just say it is a thing explain how it works

OK this is probably the 5th or 6th time I have asked this question and none of you have ever given an answer

Explain to me the mechanics of playing early in a career and having slow development

Well C&B, there's a psychological component to playing the game at the highest level which I'm sure you're aware of.

Watts has never possessed a strong psychological approach at the highest level, and I'd argue that playing him so early in his AFL career, (in our biggest game of the year) has contributed to this slow development. Do you disagree?

I'm speaking about the mentality and confidence a young player should have before being played at the top level. Especially a physically immature number 1 draft pick.

Let's say he was picked by West Coast instead of us that year. I'm sure they would have taken a much more conservative approach. They would have nurtured him through the WAFL and really made sure he was ready mentally and physically before he got a game. It's what strong clubs do.

We weren't and are not one.

It's difficult to prove as it is a zero-sum equation - we can't go back and develop Watts differently - we can only comment on what should have happened to someone who was used a PR stunt by those in charge of the club at the time after a playing three VFL games to be thrown into what is lamentably and patronisingly called - our Grand Final.

He was given games, he played as a waif, played all over the place, and has mentioned a few times that he has had issues with confidence at this level.

I think we could have done a better job. But can I prove it?

Of course I cannot.

It's difficult to prove as it is a zero-sum equation - we can't go back and develop Watts differently - we can only comment on what should have happened to someone who was used a PR stunt by those in charge of the club at the time after a playing three VFL games to be thrown into what is lamentably and patronisingly called - our Grand Final.

He was given games, he played as a waif, played all over the place, and has mentioned a few times that he has had issues with confidence at this level.

I think we could have done a better job. But can I prove it?

Of course I cannot.

With Watts there was a game in the first season of the Gold Coast Suns at the Gabba when Watts was made the sub and didn't come on until the last quarter and he picked up 7 disposals. It was a game we won by 16 goals but IMO Watts should have been on the ground from the get go. Could have kicked a bag that day and it would have done wonders to his confidence. He was probably handled worse in that game than in his debut.

Reminds me so much of a young Tony Lockett, only a better bloke.

Glad Im not the only one that sees a bit of Plugger in Jesse Hogan

Hes the only player ive ever seen that reminds me of Plugger, who as we know was one of a kind

Glad Im not the only one that sees a bit of Plugger in Jesse Hogan

Hes the only player ive ever seen that reminds me of Plugger, who as we know was one of a kind

I was making that comparison on here a long time ago... and I disagree (not with you HH) re Plugger not being such a great bloke; I thought he was a great person, quite a private person who "quietly" went about his job without being a show pony.

This is just rubbish. Yes he was terribly handled, but if you'd seen his efforts even at Casey you would have known he hated physical contact.

Watts could have had no fanfare and he wouldn't have developed much differently.

I was making that comparison on here a long time ago... and I disagree (not with you HH) re Plugger not being such a great bloke; I thought he was a great person...

Peter Caven probably didn't agree after their onfield incident ;) (Disclaimer - He may have changed his opinion once they became teammates.)

With Watts there was a game in the first season of the Gold Coast Suns at the Gabba when Watts was made the sub and didn't come on until the last quarter and he picked up 7 disposals. It was a game we won by 16 goals but IMO Watts should have been on the ground from the get go. Could have kicked a bag that day and it would have done wonders to his confidence. He was probably handled worse in that game than in his debut.

I remember that game too - and had very similar thoughts: a lost opportunity to gain some confidence after some hard times.

I was making that comparison on here a long time ago... and I disagree (not with you HH) re Plugger not being such a great bloke; I thought he was a great person, quite a private person who "quietly" went about his job without being a show pony.

he wasn't always so quiet and private at the aints hardtack