Just listened to/read Paul Roos presser and my ears pricked up when he spoke about our young Jack.

Whilst I'm obviously over the moon in landing Roos, Stone and the batch of mids we've snagged over the trade period, this particular scenario is going to be fascinating to watch unfold over the next 5-6 months. Watts' move to the midfield.

It'll be his third positional change at the club, and we all know how many knocks the kid has taken along the way for the way he's developed. What I find really intriguing is Roos' comparison of Watts to Freo's big boys in the middle. Whenever I've seen Watts in a contested situation where the ball is in dispute, he's looked incredibly gangly, apprehensive to really go in and win the ball, and use his frame.

We're all aware that Watts' biggest issue is his confidence. He's not naturally aggressive, nor does he look comfortable when other bodies are flying in for the pill. I'm sure Roos is aware of this and this is what is going to be so interesting to watch over the next period of time.

If Roos and co can bring some mongrel and stink to Watts' game, it may well catapult his own confidence and mental toughness through the roof and we may well have a serious player on our hands. It would turn into a snowball effect and I can imagine him never looking back.

Out of all of the exciting prospects and scenarios to unfold during the offseason, it's this particular challenge I'm looking forward to the most.

Go dees

• Like 7

We're all aware that Watts' biggest issue is his confidence. He's not naturally aggressive, nor does he look comfortable when other bodies are flying in for the pill. I'm sure Roos is aware of this and this is what is going to be so interesting to watch over the next period of time.

If Roos and co can bring some mongrel and stink to Watts' game, it may well catapult his own confidence and mental toughness through the roof and we may well have a serious player on our hands. It would turn into a snowball effect and I can imagine him never looking back.

I am excited too, stmj.

I agree about his physicality, I also think that people can develop that area of their game. And he has the size to back it up.

And he doesn't have to be the go-to clearance player in there, far from it; Jones, Viney, Tyson and Trengove will be the focus in there.

His value will be his ability to push hard and find the footy and deliver facing our forward line.

Oh, and Hogan might be chance to rotate through the middle too...

• Like 2

Just listened to/read Paul Roos presser and my ears pricked up when he spoke about our young Jack.

Whilst I'm obviously over the moon in landing Roos, Stone and the batch of mids we've snagged over the trade period, this particular scenario is going to be fascinating to watch unfold over the next 5-6 months. Watts' move to the midfield.

It'll be his third positional change at the club, and we all know how many knocks the kid has taken along the way for the way he's developed. What I find really intriguing is Roos' comparison of Watts to Freo's big boys in the middle. Whenever I've seen Watts in a contested situation where the ball is in dispute, he's looked incredibly gangly, apprehensive to really go in and win the ball, and use his frame.

Out of all of the exciting prospects and scenarios to unfold during the offseason, it's this particular challenge I'm looking forward to the most.

Go dees

Interesting indeed.

I'm not a huge fan - I see talent and the 'smarts.' Having said that, this year, when it was his turn to go, he went. I was rapt with that.

I am excited too, stmj. I agree about his physicality, I also think that people can develop that area of their game. And he has the size to back it up. And he doesn't have to be the go-to clearance player in there, far from it; Jones, Viney, Tyson and Trengove will be the focus in there. His value will be his ability to push hard and find the footy and deliver facing our forward line. Oh, and Hogan might be chance to rotate through the middle too...

If only there were a switch he could flick.

The guy could be absolutely anything if he were to add that physical aspect to his game.

Can't wait to see what Roos and Stone can get out of him.

The guy could be absolutely anything if he were to add that physical aspect to his game.

They need to get another 5kg into him. He was reported as 196cm and 91kg last year. That's a body that's not big enough to go hard.

• Like 1

Hard to argue that Watts is not physical enough so i agree its an exciting thought that perhaps Roos can help improve in this regard.

One thing he does have in his favor though, in terms of being a mid, is that he has great hands in close and his handball from congestion are usually effective and often often really creative.

This is where you can see his basketball background and with more time in the middle he will only get better with this aspect.

Its funny in a way that much is made of his basketball proesse and at the same time we lament his enthusiasm for the crunch. I find this odd in a fashion as anyone who has played bball will tell you at almost any level there's no lack of physicality.

As others allude we just need to slip some mongrel pills into his Weaties and that will hopefully be all thats needed.

Do your magic Paul :)

Its funny in a way that much is made of his basketball proesse and at the same time we lament his enthusiasm for the crunch. I find this odd in a fashion as anyone who has played bball will tell you at almost any level there's no lack of physicality.

As others allude we just need to slip some mongrel pills into his Weaties and that will hopefully be all thats needed.

Do your magic Paul :)

Who knows maybe this was a knock on him as a basketballer as well? By the by does anyone know what position he played in bb?

• Like 1

They need to get another 5kg into him. He was reported as 196cm and 91kg last year. That's a body that's not big enough to go hard.

Kg's obviously help but it's one's mentality that will dictate whether or not you're someone like Jack Viney or Jack Watts. It runs deep, it's an environmental conditioning. You can imagine, (as an example) how rough Todd would have been with Jack as a kid. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree...

In Watts' case, I suspect he wasn't exposed to that sort of environment at a young age, which ultimately has an influence on the psychological aspects of playing such a physical sport. That's not to say he can't overcome this psychological conditioning. We've already seen some, (slow) improvement.

In fact, there's one game that sticks in my memory from last year. The queens bday game against the filth. Watts' first handful of touches and contests were unlike any I'd seen in his past games. Maybe he got himself up for that particular quarter of that game. Maybe because he remembers how overawed he was when we blooded him the same game all those years back.. Who knows. But I definitely saw a momentary 'switch'. A five-ten minute period where it was as though let go of some of those insecurities and some of that conditioning.

It was great.

It's definitely there, we just need to speed up the process.

Enter Roos and Stone.

Hard to argue that Watts is not physical enough so i agree its an exciting thought that perhaps Roos can help improve in this regard.

One thing he does have in his favor though, in terms of being a mid, is that he has great hands in close and his handball from congestion are usually effective and often often really creative.

This is where you can see his basketball background and with more time in the middle he will only get better with this aspect.

Agree. A few of those attributes that you see basketballers have are a huge bonus to a midfielder. The only reason Pendles is the player he is, is because he has the physicality and mental toughness to match. Edited by stevethemanjordan

Agreed. Third positional change, third time's the charm?

I have noticed some small, incremental improvements in his attack on the footy. Certainly it doesn't appear to be something that is instinctual. Will be very interesting to watch his progress this season.

• Like 1

I am excited too, stmj.

I agree about his physicality, I also think that people can develop that area of their game. And he has the size to back it up.

And he doesn't have to be the go-to clearance player in there, far from it; Jones, Viney, Tyson and Trengove will be the focus in there.

His value will be his ability to push hard and find the footy and deliver facing our forward line.

Oh, and Hogan might be chance to rotate through the middle too...

Disagree. Was told about (I think) the Melbourne Storm tackling coach a couple of years ago stood in front of an AFL team and said "I can teach any of you how to make a tackle, what I can't teach is making you want to tackle".

But I do agree with the next bit. If (let's face it, it probably isn't "if") Watts' issues is agression toward player/ball/contest, then instead of expecting him to play as a clearance player, let's play to his strengths which is his disposal.

• Like 1

Disagree. Was told about (I think) the Melbourne Storm tackling coach a couple of years ago stood in front of an AFL team and said "I can teach any of you how to make a tackle, what I can't teach is making you want to tackle".

But I do agree with the next bit. If (let's face it, it probably isn't "if") Watts' issues is agression toward player/ball/contest, then instead of expecting him to play as a clearance player, let's play to his strengths which is his disposal.

That doesn't mean a player can't develop in this area just that the storm tackling coach doesn't think he can teach them to want to tackle (that's to say perhaps Watts can find a way to develop that aspect of his game).

One thing i would say however is that having such a respected coach as Roos might help Watts develop his aggression. He will want to win his respect and if Roos puts him in the middle then he will want to repay that confidence. Neeld showed Watts scant respect and i suspect Watts was no Neeld fan. I know players are professional yada yada but players who are playing for their coach are usually prepared to go that extra 1%

It won't work. Not hard enough mentally or physically, doesn't tackle well and his agility around smaller blokes is no good.

But I'd be delighted if it did work, he'd be perfect as that Roos man out the back handball receiver.

But like Watts, I'm less than confident.

• Like 2

Ideas and intents are marvelous but I wait to see something actually materialise before getting too excited. He could be anything, but what ? tic toc

• Like 1

Better let Roosy know, the bloke's only just joined us and probably could do with a bit of help.

Good to see you included the reasons why I think it won't work.

And coaches never try things and get them wrong, do they?

It's an opinion, sorry for not joining in the chorus and adding "interesting" or hailing the next Adam Goodes.

• Like 1

That doesn't mean a player can't develop in this area just that the storm tackling coach doesn't think he can teach them to want to tackle (that's to say perhaps Watts can find a way to develop that aspect of his game).

One thing i would say however is that having such a respected coach as Roos might help Watts develop his aggression. He will want to win his respect and if Roos puts him in the middle then he will want to repay that confidence. Neeld showed Watts scant respect and i suspect Watts was no Neeld fan. I know players are professional yada yada but players who are playing for their coach are usually prepared to go that extra 1%

Sorry Binman, not really sure what you are saying, although I can see that you're no agreeing!

The comment that was made by the tackling coach is something that makes perfect sense to me, and something I totally agree with. A player needs agression from the start, and if it's there, it can either be developed or fine tuned, depending on what level the player is at with it. If it's something that is virtually non-existent (like in Watts' case), then you are far better spending your time developing other areas of his game.

Don't get me wrong, I love Jacky, but I'm not expecting Roos or Stone to develop something that aint there. I do however expect them to develop him in other areas to become a very good footballer.

No body is too small to go hard. Extra size just improves results and prevents injury. But Fyfe was listed at 190cm and 88kg and has been dominating midfield since he entered the league at below 80kg.

I for one doubt Watts is truly 196cm, to me he's never looked taller than Hogan and as tall as Tom McDonald.

Either way I don't see size as the issue because Watts will surely start his midfield journey on a wing and playing in space. His likely opponents across the league will vary but will also include a lot of other young and skinny players.

The AFL CBA dictates 4th year players get the get the extra week off but I hope Watts is using it wisely because fitness is the key to AFL midfield. It can't be faked, you either have it or you wont succeed. Even if you are brilliant like Dustin Martin if you don't have the high end endurance you will only be able to play half a game. The best indication that Watts will be ready to compete and chase and tackle and do things he hasn't on game day will come from if he's committed to training. A top 15 finish in our time trial is imperative if not higher. I don't see him beating Nicho, McDonald, Jones, Trengove, Viney, Grimes, Vince, McKenzie, Howe but he has to be around the mark of guys like Toumpas and Matt Jones or else how does he expect to hold them out of the side?

No body is too small to go hard. Extra size just improves results and prevents injury. But Fyfe was listed at 190cm and 88kg and has been dominating midfield since he entered the league at below 80kg.

I for one doubt Watts is truly 196cm, to me he's never looked taller than Hogan and as tall as Tom McDonald.

Either way I don't see size as the issue because Watts will surely start his midfield journey on a wing and playing in space. His likely opponents across the league will vary but will also include a lot of other young and skinny players.

The AFL CBA dictates 4th year players get the get the extra week off but I hope Watts is using it wisely because fitness is the key to AFL midfield. It can't be faked, you either have it or you wont succeed. Even if you are brilliant like Dustin Martin if you don't have the high end endurance you will only be able to play half a game. The best indication that Watts will be ready to compete and chase and tackle and do things he hasn't on game day will come from if he's committed to training. A top 15 finish in our time trial is imperative if not higher. I don't see him beating Nicho, McDonald, Jones, Trengove, Viney, Grimes, Vince, McKenzie, Howe but he has to be around the mark of guys like Toumpas and Matt Jones or else how does he expect to hold them out of the side?

Like your work, Master.

My comment was a bit simplistic. But Watts needs more weight around his hips to lower his centre of gravity or he'll get bowled over whether he goes in hard or whether someone goes hard at him. The best player I've ever seen was Leigh Matthews - his backside and thighs were so large his centre of gravity was about a metre below ground so he could never be knocked over. Not even by a point post.

I must say Ive always found player's vital stats to be , well, somewhat fudgy at times. I've stood next to White and Bruce with a mate of mine. He's 6'3 and I'm 6'2 ..I can tell you neither White nor Bruce were as advertised !! Same goes for many other players......just saying :)

• Like 1