Jack Fitzpatrick 2014

dazzledavey36

You'd think Roos' comments about players dropping simple chest marks might have been directed at Fitzy. Assuming (and the assumption might not be correct) that the coach's comments in the media are directed at the players more than the public, what effect would such a comment have on the player? Would he lose confidence? Would he respond positively? I know every player is different, but does anyone know whether Fitzy is more likely to respond to a stick or a carrot?

You'd think Roos' comments about players dropping simple chest marks might have been directed at Fitzy. Assuming (and the assumption might not be correct) that the coach's comments in the media are directed at the players more than the public, what effect would such a comment have on the player? Would he lose confidence? Would he respond positively? I know every player is different, but does anyone know whether Fitzy is more likely to respond to a stick or a carrot?

The team as a whole could not lose confidence. They are playing like a team bereft of anything resembling confidence.

Can they respond positively?. We will see it if they do. If they don't we wouldn't know any difference.

The simple Chest mark was definitely directed at Watts.

As for the fumbling, that was directed at every player in the team.

Now I'm not one for making excuses, but anyone who attended the game on Sunday, did you notice the funny bounce the ball was taking when it hit the ground.

To me it was very un - MCG like in it's behaviour.

We didn't read the bounce but the Meth Coke did.

• Like 1

WTF is wrong with this guy?

Had a really good year last year, and has taken about 20 steps backwards this year.

Had so many chances to give us something and cement his spot.

His form isnt even average this year, its deplorable.

Had a really good year last year, and has taken about 20 steps backwards this year.

probably confidence, he's over exposed down forward as the only tall against opposition with a full compliment of defenders.

he needed to be in amongst our other talls to feel less conspicuous, & go about his business. i don't get the felling that he's an alpha male type. not like a hogan or viney.

but it would be good to see him throw himself around a bit with some aggression, even if he stuffs up.

• Like 1

His form is one game as round one doesn't even count, I can't recall how he went in pre-season but I don't think it was deplorable.

I think he can get back his form from last year but can't judge him on the first two rounds. Against GWS though he needs to work harder for the ball (90% of the team need to for that matter), because he and others were way too stagnant for the WC game.

To me he seems like a player who has most of the attributes needed to be successful except one, football smarts.

He does not seem to have the instinct to know when and where to lead or not to lead.

Noticed this pre season Roos spent some time trying to show him where he should be leading to and when to lead.

He is still a work in progress, who may never be the player we want.

• Like 2

I would have thought the appropriate way to respond to this rather typical footy criticism would be to grit your teeth and make sure you go harder so its fixed pronto. Will the players lose confidence, do we give them a hankie do we get them to see a shrink? Give me a break. How do you reckon they would deal with this terribly delicate issue at Hawthorn?

Fitzpatrick can do some amazing things with his athletic ability but he doesn't seem to do the simple things well on a consistent basis.

He was a project player but he is 23yo now.

Honestly If you kick it to Fitz, anything can happen from simple spill to a falcon. If He has a shot at goal, it could go anywhere.

Good analysis.

And when it comes to needing to be able to trust your teammates, he is one of the least trustworthy and predictable types, unfortunately...

You may have missed it but Fitzy was concussed round 1 he played 39% game time total.

If you had ever been concussed you might understand, sometimes you think you are right then double vision, dizziness, disorientation etc etc. and it can come and go.

Who else have we got? Give the guy a break, he was on the park unlike some others.

• Like 1

i reckon Fitzpatrick isn't a forward...we have to make do, with him there for now... But as soon as we can, we should change his position... He has the size of a ruckman and the dash of a mid, he could be a good number 1 ruck... maybe he could tag other teams rucks? Or play off half back creating run, breaking lines and dropping back in the hole... Or just ruck... Anyone here know what his hit out work is like?

i reckon Fitzpatrick isn't a forward...we have to make do, with him there for now... But as soon as we can, we should change his position... He has the size of a ruckman and the dash of a mid, he could be a good number 1 ruck... maybe he could tag other teams rucks? Or play off half back creating run, breaking lines and dropping back in the hole... Or just ruck... Anyone here know what his hit out work is like?

His hit outs are pretty ordinary. He's not tall enough to be a first ruck. Not without a big leap which he doesn't have. He's a forward. Not a pack marking strong one though. What he has to be is using his pace to be dangerous leading but he can't seem to get in the right spots at the moment. Plus he's fumbling like crazy and totally unsure what to do with the ball.

He isn't a half back. He lacks the physicality and skills for half back. We just need to get him in the 2's and get him back to form as a decent back up forward/2nd ruck which is what he can be.

jack needs to use his pace more, needs to stay in the goal square and constantly make leads from there and keep running his opponent around, he needs to use that pace so that he can take marks. other forwards need to give him a little bit of room to run into.

Fitzpatrick is effective as a forward when the ball hits the ground and there is space for him to move in the F50.

Usually does best when he is one-out and spills the mark, but has the pace to recover and burn off his opponent.

Unfortunately can't read the play a lick, is an ordinary kick, and can't figure out what to do with himself in congestion or general play.

His only hope is when he just has to worry about where the goals are.

The problem is that Jack appears to have no concept at all of what a "lead" is !!

The thing is when he was in the team last year I thought he leading was one of his strengths. Often led to the right spots to get on the end of it.

Possible a sing of being way out of form.

Unfortunately Gawn seems to still be injured so it's either Fitzpatrick or Jamar as the second ruck, not a great combination.

Give the guy a break.... concussed in the first game and possibly not right in the second.

why on the park then?....just asking

I guess had there been any other tall forward options, any at all, then he may have been given another week.

I thought that would have been pretty obvious bb...

Who else is going to play that position?

If he wasn't fit to play he shouldn't have, just like all our other forwards. And he had no impact on the game, hardly managed a disposal and then was subbed out. Pointless.

You may have missed it but Fitzy was concussed round 1 he played 39% game time total.

If you had ever been concussed you might understand, sometimes you think you are right then double vision, dizziness, disorientation etc etc. and it can come and go.

Who else have we got? Give the guy a break, he was on the park unlike some others.

He was on the park and had no impact on the game apart from drawing a defender to him, who had the easiest game of his life.

How can we give the guy a break? Are you happy with his output so far? Performances like his are costing the club big time.

He was on the park and had no impact on the game apart from drawing a defender to him, who had the easiest game of his life.

How can we give the guy a break? Are you happy with his output so far? Performances like his are costing the club big time.

This bloke looks like he is playing without intent at the moment.. Last year he looked to be proving a point to Neeld after Neil Craig backed him in after old Beaker from the muppets got the axe!

If i were coaching him, I would challenge him before the game to prove me wrong, show me some of that form.. Fire up the big Goober!!!

Fitzy was a certainty for first goal last year!!! Fire up son, playin AFL beats working for a living!!!

• Like 1

OK who do you replace him with?

Not so easy is it.

The medicos said he was ok, but he certainly wasn't.

No not happy with his performance but I understand. Based on our extensive list off tall forwards he is the only one so far to get on the ground.

Edited by ManDee
  • Like 1

Not so easy is it.

No not happy with his performance but I understand. Based on our extensive list off tall forwards he is the only one so far to get on the ground.

James Sellar.

Not so easy is it.

James Sellar.

Really helpful comment there, JVF :-(