AFL NATIONAL DRAFT - Pick 9

What

Surely we'll take Scharenberg if he's available.

Freeman next. But, from what I've read, I wouldn't be disappointed with Dunstan, Sheed, Acres or Lennon.

I'll back Viney et ors to get this right. I'm confident they will. I'm slightly gun shy because of the MFC's howlers in recent years. But none of those decision makers are at the club anymore - so it's clearly just paranoia causing that concern.

I don't know why we wouldn't take Sheed if Scharenberg doesn't slide.

I agree. I've seen Sheed once in that televised Under 18 Championship game where he not only blitzed for WA and kicked four goals but he appeared to me to be the prototype player of the type that fits perfectly into the Paul Roos mould. Yet most phantom draft writers assume that he's a lock for the Eagles' pick at 11 and he's virtually untouchable by any of the clubs that had an earlier selection.

I say we go for the best player available at 9 and if it happens to be him, then we take him and stuff the Weagles.

That's the last word from me on the draft until next Thursday. I'm not going to look at another phantom draft or even read anything about the prospective picks until we've made our selections. I'm over it all.

It's in your hands now, Jason Taylor - good luck!

• Like 3

Don't know much about Sheed but Scharrenberg is a man-child.

Will trust you guys to make the correct decisions.

German names usually go well in Red and Blue.

Schwartz, Nietz, Mueller are three I can think of.

• Like 3

I agree. I've seen Sheed once in that televised Under 18 Championship game where he not only blitzed for WA and kicked four goals but he appeared to me to be the prototype player of the type that fits perfectly into the Paul Roos mould. Yet most phantom draft writers assume that he's a lock for the Eagles' pick at 11 and he's virtually untouchable by any of the clubs that had an earlier selection.

I say we go for the best player available at 9 and if it happens to be him, then we take him and stuff the Weagles.

That's the last word from me on the draft until next Thursday. I'm not going to look at another phantom draft or even read anything about the prospective picks until we've made our selections. I'm over it all.

It's in your hands now, Jason Taylor - good luck!

Oh yeah!

Getting the vibe it may shape up as Scharenberg if avail and considered viable....then Sheed.....Freeman ....Salem

Looks ok to me :)

Is there anybody covering the draft free-to-air?

Is there anybody covering the draft free-to-air?

on telly ?

AFL will stream something if only the info online. Thats enough for me. Just info on who gets whom ....rest is fluff for mine

Going to be an interesting draft... only 1, 2, 5 and 8 appear to be guaranteed locks so far according to various media reports:

#1 - Boyd

#2 - Kelly

#5 - Kolodjashnij

#8 - McDonald

Names seen linked to each of the remaining picks:

#3 - Billings, Aish, Scharenberg

#4 - Billings, Aish, Scharenberg, Bontempelli

#6 - Aish, Scharenberg, Bontempelli, Freeman, Salem

#7 - Scharenberg, McCarthy, Freeman

#9 - Scharenberg, Freeman, Salem

#10 - Bontempelli, Freeman, Salem

Definitely going to be a 'slider' out of this... wouldn't surprise me if Aish managed to get his way to our pick either:

#3 - Billings (Almost a lock if media is anything to go by)

#4 - Bontempelli (Big word on Bulldogs being keen)

#6 - Scharenberg (Collingwood take him ahead of Aish I reckon)

#7 - Aish/ McCarthy (McCarthy to fill a key position role)

#9 - Aish/ Freeman/ Salem

Going to be an interesting draft... only 1, 2, 5 and 8 appear to be guaranteed locks so far according to various media reports:

#1 - Boyd

#2 - Kelly

#5 - Kolodjashnij

#8 - McDonald

Names seen linked to each of the remaining picks:

#3 - Billings, Aish, Scharenberg

#4 - Billings, Aish, Scharenberg, Bontempelli

#6 - Aish, Scharenberg, Bontempelli, Freeman, Salem

#7 - Scharenberg, McCarthy, Freeman

#9 - Scharenberg, Freeman, Salem

#10 - Bontempelli, Freeman, Salem

Definitely going to be a 'slider' out of this... wouldn't surprise me if Aish managed to get his way to our pick either:

#3 - Billings (Almost a lock if media is anything to go by)

#4 - Bontempelli (Big word on Bulldogs being keen)

#6 - Scharenberg (Collingwood take him ahead of Aish I reckon)

#7 - Aish/ McCarthy (McCarthy to fill a key position role)

#9 - Aish/ Freeman/ Salem

Whatever way it falls we seem destined to get a good 200 game midfielder.

i just hope we don't go for another inside mid - unless they've got explosive pace.

We have taken four tallish inside mids (five if you include Cross who was outside mid late last year) and now we have to work on finding a genuine run-and-carry defender in Jarrod Harbrow/Heath Shaw mould and a genuine pacy winger/small forward in Stephen Hill/Steven Motlop mould.

So it's either Scharenberg (defensive run once his feet are right) or Billings or Freeman (pacey forward/mids) for me.

Our obsession with inside mids has also left our list deficient in back-up tall defenders, but hopefully Frawley, Garland and Tom Mc don't get injured or else the Demonland threads will go ballistic next year about Pedo and Dunny.

Now I want Sheed. From the highlights (yes I know, "highlights") it appears there is no way he won't become an AFL midfield regular who would play as many games as he's body permits.

• Like 1

i just hope we don't go for another inside mid - unless they've got explosive pace.

We have taken four tallish inside mids (five if you include Cross who was outside mid late last year) and now we have to work on finding a genuine run-and-carry defender in Jarrod Harbrow/Heath Shaw mould and a genuine pacy winger/small forward in Stephen Hill/Steven Motlop mould.

So it's either Scharenberg (defensive run once his feet are right) or Billings or Freeman (pacey forward/mids) for me.

Our obsession with inside mids has also left our list deficient in back-up tall defenders, but hopefully Frawley, Garland and Tom Mc don't get injured or else the Demonland threads will go ballistic next year about Pedo and Dunny.

You don't spend first round picks on 'Injury Insurance' ever.

You certainly don't do it when you don't have a midfield.

• Like 2

You don't spend first round picks on 'Injury Insurance' ever.

You certainly don't do it when you don't have a midfield.

We'll almost certainly go for a mid-fielder. And whoever that is will have the potential to very quickly become our best or second best mid-fielder.

at 182 freeman is not exactly 'large' by afl mid standards

hesitation robust though.. Aish aint.