State of Play - 3 October and beyond

- Taylor Adams says NO THANKS to Dees (follows the Judd, Hale, Burgoyne, Ball footsteps)

Judd actually wanted to come to Melbourne and all things (contracts) being equal he would have. MFC just couldn't get close to Carlton's salary offer (thanks to the Visy third party deal), so he went hip pocket over heat and signed with the Blues. But let's not revisit this...

Judd actually wanted to come to Melbourne and all things (contracts) being equal he would have. MFC just couldn't get close to Carlton's salary offer (thanks to the Visy third party deal), so he went hip pocket over heat and signed with the Blues. But let's not revisit this...

So essentially, he didn't REALLY want to come to the MFC.

• Like 2

8 October:

- pick 2 ... last call - anyone anyone (It looks like the Rolls Royce James Aish could be in red & blue)

- Dees in two-horse race for Shane Savage. Blues also interested. Sorry now offer a 4yr deal, and a vision of a mid/small fwd role in our best 18.

- Sylvia compo TBA

- Viv Mitchie (21yo, mid from Freo) is decision to stay in WA or return to Vic and likely Melbourne FC

- Brad Sewell could be part of trade deals and sent away from HFC (Demons interested????)

update 12 October:

- pick 2 ... Dylan Shiel appears to be our trade option if we can sell the hope.

- Shane Savage opted for Saints (over Blues & Demons).

- Sylvia compo TBA

- Viv Mitchie (21yo, mid from Freo) is decision to stay in WA or return to Vic

- Bernie Vince latest rumour to be on Demons chat line (for our 2nd rd pick around 20)

- whisper on Dom Tyson

update 12 October:

- pick 2 ... Dylan Shiel appears to be our trade option if we can sell the hope.

- Shane Savage opted for Saints (over Blues & Demons).

- Sylvia compo TBA

- Viv Mitchie (21yo, mid from Freo) is decision to stay in WA or return to Vic

- Bernie Vince latest rumour to be on Demons chat line (for our 2nd rd pick around 20)

- whisper on Dom Tyson

Shiel, Mitchie and Vince would be a great result.

• Like 1

I wonder how many changes Roos has decided to make to the list this year? Will he let go of more players to rid the club of the old culture?

Those players have left/been cleared out.

Jamar's the only one remaining from that period, and he strikes me as a good clubman (ie, not part of the problem culturally).

• Like 2

Those players have left/been cleared out.

Jamar's the only one remaining from that period, and he strikes me as a good clubman (ie, not part of the problem culturally).

I agree with the clear out of players should help build the culture of the club. No matter what some here think of them as players but Grimes, Trengove and Garland as well as Dawes and Clark all are culture building, team first players.

My only concern is that I thought there would also be a culture change after the Yze, White, Robbo, Bruce era. However I'm starting to believe that the place is permanently infected by the ghost of culture crap

At this juncture is purely speculating but as to where it could all possibly land;

if things were to go our way ( I know, when's that ever transpired...lol ) we could be looking at a list which has the following mids. * denotes existing #traded/drafted

Jones *

Viney*

Toumpas*

Trengove*

Michie #

Lyons#

Vince#

Cross #

Freeman#

youd have to think we could make a better fist of games with that ?

We seem confident that Lyons, Vince and Mitchie will move to the dees. What happens with pick 2 is anyone's guess...

Just a gut hunch. Either Shiel or we go to the draft. if so highly possible its Freeman.. Be happy with either outcome

• Like 1

Why do we seem confident about Lyons? I've heard nothing other than we're interested. No comment from him about wanting to leave or us as his preferred option. I could see him being involved in the Polek deal too.

I rate him as more important than Michie because he's played more AFL footy and proven himself capable while Michie hasn't done that.

If we could land Vince, Lyons and Michie I'd be stoked. Ok so it's not Shuey or Rockliff but all three were either AFL standard or fringe AFL in highly competitive midfields last year.

They may not be world beaters but they will improve our midfield either immediately through performance or at the least by pushing for selection with developed bodies not 17 year old bodies.

• Like 1

On more than one occasion Mahoney has made mention of trading for 2 or 3 mids. He has often referred to the net result. Cross I think will hinge on whether we net one, two or three mids between now and the end of trade period. We still want to have some live draft picks. I think people need to temper their expectations in regards the number of mature players we'll trade in. Michie, Vince and Lyons may well be progressing. We may end up with one of these guys plus Cross. Two if things really fall into place and Shiel or Dyson if we're KOTD.

On more than one occasion Mahoney has made mention of trading for 2 or 3 mids. He has often referred to the net result. Cross I think will hinge on whether we net one, two or three mids between now and the end of trade period. We still want to have some live draft picks. I think people need to temper their expectations in regards the number of mature players we'll trade in. Michie, Vince and Lyons may well be progressing. We may end up with one of these guys plus Cross. Two if things really fall into place and Shiel or Dyson if we're KOTD.

Do we really need live early draft picks if we can trade them for equally good players with AFL experience? I realise we have to use 3 picks but one can b a rookie upgrade e.g. Clisby, and if we have to delist some uncontracted players to make room for these picks then we could re-draft them. With our list age profile I don't think it maters if we don't pick up any 18 yos. As some have posted, if we used our first 5 picks including the Sylvia compo (2, 22, 23, 40, 58) on say Shiel, Vince, Myers, Lyons, Michie and picked up Cross as a delisted FA, it wouldn't matter if our remaining draft picks were 70, 80 and 90.

• Like 3

Do we really need live early draft picks if we can trade them for equally good players with AFL experience? I realise we have to use 3 picks but one can be a rookie upgrade e.g. Clisby, and if we have to delist some uncontracted players to make room for these picks then we could re-draft them. With our list age profile I don't think it matters if we don't pick up any 18 yos. As some have posted, if we used our first 5 picks including the Sylvia compo (2, 22, 23, 40, 58) on say Shiel, Vince, Myers, Lyons, Michie and picked up Cross as a delisted FA, it wouldn't matter if our remaining draft picks were 70, 80 and 90.

Can I mention that in addition to the possibility of using a rookie upgrade as one of our three mandatory selections, there's the formal selection of Jesse Hogan which presumably would also count for the same reason.

Otherwise, I agree with much of the above except for Myers from Essendon who, whilst he would normally be a worthwhile target, will remain tainted by him being a member of the Bombers' list in 2011. As long as the possibility of infraction notices remains open, Essendon players should strictly be a no go zone.