When Do We Find Out About the Priority Pick?

Grimseyisgod

The statement from Evans (AA's replacement) leads me to believe that they think we have been so undercoached that our predicament can be turned around with so bonding sessions, a chat to shrink, and a few pats on the bum from Roos...

The irony is a worse coach hire would have meant a PP.

I think the AFL is going to, unfortunately for us, get a rude shock when we still look like an expansion team next year.

I want to get better but we don't have a midfield and we needed assets to move, we now have less than I thought...

Watts has to be back on the table.

A really poor decision by former Hawthorn Footy Ops boss Mark Evans to recommend no help for the onfield fortunes of the MFC in 2014.

Edited by rpfc
  • Like 1

Anyone have a link? (edit, thanks stuie) I'm struggling to understand how we couldn't be given anything at all, given our record. The AFL paint themselves into a very dangerous corner, given how poor our record has been. It sets a very very low bar for future applicants. I suppose such things only matter those trying to maintain a record of consistency and fairness.

Unfortunately, they aren't painting themselves anywhere. That we didn't get a PP this year will be utterly irrelevant when it comes to awarding them in the future to other clubs. Forgotten, except by the MFC. The AFL don't arbitrate objectively, they arbitrate as a reflection of how they want to be perceived.......by the public at large, and by the other clubs, particularly the cash cows. Put more simply, they make it up as they go along.

That they have been spruiking the 'future' of equalisation makes a mockery of this decision, but on its own, it's very very small bananas. And you won't hear any mainstream media to the contrary.

Where the AFL is going to strike resistance however is if they don't equalise substantially in other ways as per their up til now vague chatter. The combined voice (in the public and administratively) of the 'disadvantaged' clubs, or shall we say the 'unequal' clubs (us, North, Saints, Dogs,) will be substantial and game changing if the powerhouse clubs are allowed to grow richer in their advantage over the next few years. A groundswell of unhappy football supporters in Melbourne is not something Andrew Demetriou will want to face.

• Like 3

Superfooty have tweeted that the AFL have officially said no.

That SHOULD mean that no other team will ever get one again then.

There is a difference between a team devoid of any talent and a team of lazy, weak, soft footballers. Many of which are yet to reach their potential. Talk of player mismanagement is crap and a copout, if there has been any mismanagement it has been most of out draft selections of recent years. Viney and Terlich seemed to have a crack this year. We need our players to harden up, our club seems to be undergoing this process so that leaves us.....the supporters.

I am never going to barrack for the AFL again!

Just goes to show that the AFL don't seem to use the same logic as the rest of the world --- no news to us on here :blink:

I do find Caro's last little twist of the knife at the end of this short article more than a little annoying, though ... http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/no-priority-draft-pick-for-lowly-melbourne-20130923-2u9tz.html

"Melbourne boss Peter Jackson was philosophical after the club was refused a priority pick in the 2013 AFL national draft.

Jackson was told shortly before Monday's meeting of the 18 clubs that the commission had refused his bid for an extra pick either before or immediately following the first round of the draft.

"They're an independent comission and they make the decisions and we move on," Jackson told Fairfax Media on Monday.

The commission explained that while Melbourne had endured two horrendous seasons onfield – finishing 16th in 2012 and 17th this season – the prevailing view was that the Demons' list boasted enough talent and potential improvement not to require extra help via the draft.

The push, which Jackson said he was compelled to do given Melbourne's recent performances, would have been vehemently opposed by the 17 other clubs given the Demons' history in having deliberately lost games in 2009 to gain early draft picks."

There is a difference between a team devoid of any talent and a team of lazy, weak, soft footballers. Many of which are yet to reach their potential. Talk of player mismanagement is crap and a copout, if there has been any mismanagement it has been most of out draft selections of recent years. Viney and Terlich seemed to have a crack this year. We need our players to harden up, our club seems to be undergoing this process so that leaves us.....the supporters.

Yeah you're right... I'm sure Nicholson, Spencer, Byrnes, Pedersen, and McKenzie will lead us up the ladder with their talent harnessed......

Yeah you're right... I'm sure Nicholson, Spencer, Byrnes, Pedersen, and McKenzie will lead us up the ladder with their talent harnessed......

Clark, Dawes, Hogan, Howe, Watts, Trengove, Jones, Jones, Viney, Toumpas, Sylvia, Blease, Strauss, Grimes, Frawley, Garland, McDonald, Terlich is a decent base to work from. Every club has a few crap players, now is the time to stop whinging and expecting handouts and do the hard work to get back where we want to be.

Not getting a PP doesn't mean we can't be successful, it's just means we might have to work smarter and harder for longer.

• Like 3

Just goes to show that the AFL don't seem to use the same logic as the rest of the world --- no news to us on here :blink:

I do find Caro's last little twist of the knife at the end of this short article more than a little annoying, though ... http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/no-priority-draft-pick-for-lowly-melbourne-20130923-2u9tz.html

"Melbourne boss Peter Jackson was philosophical after the club was refused a priority pick in the 2013 AFL national draft.

Jackson was told shortly before Monday's meeting of the 18 clubs that the commission had refused his bid for an extra pick either before or immediately following the first round of the draft.

"They're an independent comission and they make the decisions and we move on," Jackson told Fairfax Media on Monday.

The commission explained that while Melbourne had endured two horrendous seasons onfield – finishing 16th in 2012 and 17th this season – the prevailing view was that the Demons' list boasted enough talent and potential improvement not to require extra help via the draft.

The push, which Jackson said he was compelled to do given Melbourne's recent performances, would have been vehemently opposed by the 17 other clubs given the Demons' history in having deliberately lost games in 2009 to gain early draft picks."

On the other hand if the prevailing view is that we have the talent and our performances weren't bad enough to warrant a priority pick, then that surely constitutes a clear endorsement by the football community of Mark Neeld's one and a half years as coach of the club.

I sincerely wish those clubs like Hawthorn and Sydney who led the push against our proposal, have similar periods in their near future as we have had in the past two years.

Clark, Dawes, Hogan, Howe, Watts, Trengove, Jones, Jones, Viney, Toumpas, Sylvia, Blease, Strauss, Grimes, Frawley, Garland, McDonald, Terlich is a decent base to work from. Every club has a few crap players, now is the time to stop whinging and expecting handouts and do the hard work to get back where we want to be.

Not getting a PP doesn't mean we can't be successful, it's just means we might have to work smarter and harder for longer.

I'm not saying we NEEDED one, I just think that if we don't get a PP based on the last 7 years then they should abolish the system altogether.

• Like 1

C'mon Stuie, your better than that. The list of names you provided are the ones thrown up for the case for. The list provided by Dr Gonzo supported the case against. This club needs to harden up. Port and Freo have shown this year what is possible with the right mindset.

• Like 1

C'mon Stuie, your better than that. The list of names you provided are the ones thrown up for the case for. The list provided by Dr Gonzo supported the case against. This club needs to harden up. Port and Freo have shown this year what is possible with the right mindset.

...and a midfield. Which we don't have.

My opinion is that I'm not that upset about it, but the only fair thing to do now is to abolish the system altogether.

Rubbish.

Giving us an end of first rounder would give us something like picks 20 and 22.

Could be the difference to us getting Zak Jones or not.

You're really going to compare Zak Jones to a top 5 draft pick? Late first round picks will only be trade sweeteners. There's a reason high picks are coveted.

RE: Redleg, I agree pick 10 is a bit better. But the end of the first round is a cop out.

This is a joke but maybe it'll be a little more satisfying when we get that flag, other supporters won't be able to rag on about the priority pick we got in 2013 and how we were spoon fed the wins.

I don't give a toss about what other clubs think, D. The AFL have confirmed that they're a farcical, spineless organisation. Bunch of bureaucrats. Why carp on about equalisation if you're going to do stuff all about it?

If we didn't have Hogan coming in next year it may have been different, but Hogan coming through is essentially like a PP anyway.

Look at Freo's midfield, probably the best going at the moment and not really a high pick among them, besides Hill.

I don't disagree they should effectively disband the PP now except for exceptional circumstances. Getting the top picks is enough, you don't need extra ones and the most important thing is having the off-field coaching and development as well as recruitment department to be effective and well-funded.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo

I'm not saying we NEEDED one, I just think that if we don't get a PP based on the last 7 years then they should abolish the system altogether.

Exactly. Why have the system if you're not going to use it in such a clear cut case? Seven years of ineptness should equate to an equalisation package/PP.

...and a midfield. Which we don't have.

My opinion is that I'm not that upset about it, but the only fair thing to do now is to abolish the system altogether.

Yes our midfield is possibly the worst in the AFL. As mentioned in other threads hopefully we can trade pick 2 for a ready made player, and possibly snare someone in the PSD. What I was getting at was Port has great mids, yet their forwards and backs weren't rated by many at the start of the year. Freo have had injury woes all year. Both clubs just went about it every week. Yes I agree mate the whole system should now be scrapped. As much as we all bag the AFL at times it does keep clubs heads above water financially. Clubs like ours have to learn to get it right. With PJ and Roos on board we are hopefully on the right track.
  • Like 1

People whinging about not giving us the pick need to harden the F up a bit. The AFL.are right we are not as bad as people make out to be. A Fully fit Clark and Dawes plus Hogan will be a MASSIVE bonus.

Pick 2 on Swallow or Sharenberg pick 20 on Crouch or Dunstan if he slips.

Add Daniel Cross plus a Viv Michie or Taylor Adams through PSD then things look very impressive!

This on top of a fully fit Trengove, Viney and Toumpas with solid Pre Season base behind them Mat Jones and Dean Terlich to back up their impressive season and even Dom Barry to play 5-7 games.

Screw the AFL we have ourselfs to blame and no one else. Port didnt get help and look where they are now. We should look to them as inspiration. They got there board leaders right plus a new coach and fresh young talent.

Not saying we will do the same and go deep in the finals but expect a MASSIVE improvement on field next year.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 2

People whinging about not giving us the pick need to harden the F up a bit. The AFL.are right we are not as bad as people make out to be. A Fully fit Clark and Dawes plus Hogan will be a MASSIVE bonus.

Pick 2 on Swallow or Sharenberg pick 20 on Crouch or Dunstan if he slips.

Add Daniel Cross plus a Viv Michie or Taylor Adams through PSD then things look very impressive!

This on top of a fully fit Trengove, Viney and Toumpas with solid Pre Season base behind them Mat Jones and Dean Terlich to back up their impressive season and even Dom Barry to play 5-7 games.

Screw the AFL we have ourselfs to blame and no one else. Port didnt get help and look where they are now. We should look to them as inspiration. They got there board leaders right plus a new coach and fresh young talent.

Not saying we will do the same and go deep in the finals but expect a MASSIVE improvement on field next year.

This is blue sky hypotheticals, not reality, but I agree with your sentiments.

I'm not fussed about missing out on a pick because I also believe with a fit, best 22 on the field, we will be much, much more competitive. My only concern with not receiving a PP was the trade value it may have presented and we may have used to bolster the team with decent mids.

The fact that we've finally got a premiership coach with outstanding development credentials far outweighs the fact that we have not granted a priority pick.

Edited by McQueen

Wow....

I know what a positive influence he can have on our young players and older players with his ultra dedication to hard work and his actions on the training track and gameday. One of the fittest players in the afl so no better Role models for Viney, Toumpas, Barry, Kent, MJones to show them what it takes to become a top line AFL player and how hard and how much sacrifice you have to go to the next level.