Other Clubs' Enemies

Redleg

This might be a real line in the sand moment for the MFC. Time to develop that "us against them mentality and gain a real ruthless edge".

This concerted campaign against us over the PP and AFL assistance is getting somewhat vicious. I think we need to get on the front foot.

Eddie talks about all things being equal so lets get that out in the public arena. I agree, all things should be equal.

Lets call for each team to get the same amount of interstate games, friday night games, sunday 4.40 games, games at Skilled stadium just for starters.

Lets call for all other teams that received PP's to be investigated for 6 months over tanking.

Lets stop the 18 games at the G the Pies get.

Lets make all sides wear genuine away strips.

Brad Scott attacked us last night. Lets examine how much AFL money was given to the new North Centre at Arden Street. How much diod the Bombers get. The Pies for Lexus etc.

The AFL is about money and not fairness. The reason we will get a PP is not because of altruism by the AFL, but rather that it doesn't want empty stadiums and non watched telecasts. A non competitive MFC will affect the next TV rights deal as we will be an impediment.

I say lets get on the front foot and bring these issues into the public arena. It is time for us to play tough and be tough.

I am not attacking the AFL here as they are there to run the game over the self interest of the clubs. That is what is happening here.

We would have romped a PP in under the previous formula but the AFL changed it and all clubs agreed the AFL could still award one. Now when we look certainties to deserve one under the agreed criteria, the other clubs are bitching.

I think it is time to get aggressive and put them back in their place. We should be on the front foot and start bringing into the public domain the hypocrisy that is the other clubs.

• Like 31

What is with these north Melbourne people? They should be more worried about the fact they have totally wasted a season than what we are doing.

Also there first pick is f/s so our pp does not effect them at all.

• Like 4

A bit early to go that way Redleg ... we need to develop a little more cred, especially on the field before trying to whack the big clubs.

Still, I'd like to suggest to Andrew Newbold of Hawthorn who has a problem with our getting a PP, that his club should forego compensation for Buddy if he goes as a FA.

Better still, why not offer Lance big $'s to tempt him away or at least up the ante for him.

• Like 3

For the love of Science, can't we just stay under the radar, ask the AFL for the pick and focus on what needs to be done on the field? Leave all the rest of this to people who don't understand that the only thing that matters is fixing on-field performance.

• Like 1

If the PP is the first step in all other clubs hating us, good .

I want our club to be hated ( and hopefully eventually envied ) by every other club & their supporters.

If this is the start bring it on.

• Like 1

Eddie and his ilk get on their front feet and peddle their lines. Its what we need to do also.

Whilst i concede theres a timing to it all Im with Red 100% here.

We want to be seen and taken seriously as a team in this comp and not a permanent charity case well we need to fight like one.

For the love of Science, can't we just stay under the radar, ask the AFL for the pick and focus on what needs to be done on the field? Leave all the rest of this to people who don't understand that the only thing that matters is fixing on-field performance.

So you want to 'stay under the radar' an get a PP...

How the hell do we do that?

Jackson needs to be on the front foot that he was one yesterday if he wants to get near winning the PR battle that involves everything that the AFL does.

Jackson and Roos should go on as many of these awful shows that they can get on and reiterate the points that Jackson made.

The clubs know we should be given assistance, they are just trying to put one over us and the AFL to keep us down. The clubs don't want an even competition, especially the better clubs, they want to win, break even and step on our necks.

• Like 3

This might be a real line in the sand moment for the MFC. Time to develop that "us against them mentality and gain a real ruthless edge".

This concerted campaign against us over the PP and AFL assistance is getting somewhat vicious. I think we need to get on the front foot.

Eddie talks about all things being equal so lets get that out in the public arena. I agree, all things should be equal.

Lets call for each team to get the same amount of interstate games, friday night games, sunday 4.40 games, games at Skilled stadium just for starters.

Lets call for all other teams that received PP's to be investigated for 6 months over tanking.

Brad Scott attacked us last night. Lets examine how much AFL money was given to the new North Centre at Arden Street. How much diod the Bombers get. The Pies for Lexus etc.

The AFL is about money and not fairness. The reason we will get a PP is not because of altruism by the AFL, but rather that it doesn't want empty stadiums and non watched telecasts. A non competitive MFC will affect the next TV rights deal as we will be an impediment.

I say lets get on the front foot and bring these issues into the public arena. It is time for us to play tough and be tough.

I am not attacking the AFL here as they are there to run the game over the self interest of the clubs. That is what is happening here.

We would have romped a PP in under the previous formula but the AFL changed it and all clubs agreed the AFL could still award one. Now when we look certainties to deserve one under the agreed criteria, the other clubs are bitching.

I think it is time to get aggressive and put them back in their place. We should be on the front foot and start bringing into the public domain the hypocrisy that is the other clubs.

Yes, Yes, & Yes !!!

• Like 1

So you want to 'stay under the radar' an get a PP...

How the hell do we do that?

Jackson needs to be on the front foot that he was one yesterday if he wants to get near winning the PR battle that involves everything that the AFL does.

Jackson and Roos should go on as many of these awful shows that they can get on and reiterate the points that Jackson made.

The clubs know we should be given assistance, they are just trying to put one over us and the AFL to keep us down. The clubs don't want an even competition, especially the better clubs, they want to win, break even and step on our necks.

We stay under the radar by doing as little as possible to sully the waters on any of these other issues until the priority pick situation is dealt with.

You mentioned that the AFL is prone to listening to public pressure. While that's true in many regards, I don't think it's perfectly so. They went ahead with the interchange cap against public opinion. They continue to provide an unfair fixture against public opinion. They refuse to institute more reliable goal review technology against public opinion. Time and time again they act in what they perceive to be the best interests of the game, regardless of what others think.

If we want the priority pick, we need to go straight to the AFL and ask for it as we have done. Anything else is a waste of time.

Im am so confident in PJ the way he answered those priority pick questions yesterday.......we are in good hands

Red I sensed yesterday that PJ was laying a foundation for just such a campaign. He seems quite adept at attaining his goals
  • Like 1

I agree we should be proactive and I would consider taking a public approach. However, I question if a more targeted approach is the better course of action (i.e. letting the issue simmer and lobbying directly to the AFL while teeing up third parties like the players association to publicly argue the case for on field equality).

What is with these north Melbourne people? They should be more worried about the fact they have totally wasted a season than what we are doing.

Also there first pick is f/s so our pp does not effect them at all.

they're next in the cue for home games at the 'G'... all these squirrels want to move in to our nest.

Red I sensed yesterday that PJ was laying a foundation for just such a campaign. He seems quite adept at attaining his goals

yep we don't need to be headkickers,,,, & we certainly don't want to be like a pie rover, ankle tappers...

.. so, lets take the middle & just kick 'Em in the Cods, that may slow em up enough to get they're attentions.

Edited by dee-luded

Dont forget the other big unequal part of our game the stadium deals...

West Coast and Collingwood each spend $300k EVERY WEEK more than Melbourne - $15m a year on their footy departments.

You couldn't get more unequal than that

A bit early to go that way Redleg ... we need to develop a little more cred, especially on the field before trying to whack the big clubs.

Disagree WJ.

You get cred by standing up for yourself, not by hiding and whimpering in the corner and saying "when I get big and strong I will get you back".

The MFC didn't start these attacks, but if we want to have cred we should give it back.

You will note I am only talking about those clubs who have attacked us, not the AFL ( our buddies).

Seriously, what would Eddie, Newbold, Sticks, Brayshaw, etc do if someone had a go at them. They would have a go back.

If we are to be taken seriously by the competition it may be time to act like an equal partner.

• Like 4

Disagree WJ.

You get cred by standing up for yourself, not by hiding and whimpering in the corner and saying "when I get big and strong I will get you back".

The MFC didn't start these attacks, but if we want to have cred we should give it back.

You will note I am only talking about those clubs who have attacked us, not the AFL ( our buddies).

Seriously, what would Eddie, Newbold, Sticks, Brayshaw, etc do if someone had a go at them. They would have a go back.

If we are to be taken seriously by the competition it may be time to act like an equal partner.

This is why I love Peter Jackson.

Never wastes a chance to get on the front foot.

Yesterday was about Paul Roos, but as soon as the PP issue was raised, he was into it.

Haven't seen what Brad Scott had to say, but if there was an award for the years biggest sook, he would own it.

Not our fault you missed the cut, Brad.

• Like 1

Haven't seen what Brad Scott had to say, but if there was an award for the years biggest sook, he would own it.

Not our fault you missed the cut, Brad.

I would ask him if he has finished whingeing about the roof not being closed and abusing elderly AFL officials.

I would ask him if he has finished whingeing about the roof not being closed and abusing elderly AFL officials.

scott boys were bullies for hire when brizzy had an unbeatable team

since they got on level terms ,they've sooked like Vermont schoolgirls

we don't need to pay attention to this krap

lets just celebrate every good move between here and 1st 2014 game

• Like 2

They went ahead with the interchange cap against public opinion. They continue to provide an unfair fixture against public opinion.

Time and time again they act in what they perceive to be the best interests of the game.

I think you're confusing yourself as to who the 'public' really is. Sure, the AFL doesn't often act in the manner of the 0.5% of fans who are consumed by the game enough to regularly post on forums like this or bigfooty, but those fans don't represent the wider public.

Everything the AFL does is to serve the 'common denominator' footy fan who will attend a few games and watch a whole bunch of footy on TV. The interchange cap is designed to make the game more enjoyable for casual fans. The fixture is designed to appeal to casual fans. There are orders of magnitude more of this kind of footy fan - who don't care about the politics or machinations, and just want to watch footy - than there are people campaigning for perfect parity across the competition.

• Like 3