Clash jumper 2014

Whispering_Jack

With a new chairman, new board members, CEO and coach, I think it's time to revisit the issue of our image on the field at those times when we must (and most times I disagree with the need) wear a clash strip.

I think the predominantly white number not only looks insipid but it's also one with which we rarely taste success when we wear the bloody thing.

I know this isn't the most pressing thing facing the powers that be but I'd like to nominate this number which a poster put forward a few years ago:-

370914westprestonlakesi.jpg

The blue V needs to be navy rather than royal blue and I would remove the trimmings at the side and make both V's a little thicker but at least, it looks like a real footy jumper rather than what we have now.

I also remember reading a while ago that the clash strip needs to be kept for at least two years. I reckon we've had enough of our current model and need something new to usher in our new era.

• Like 3

I love the current clash jumper; and unless we are given the opportunity to exclude the colour white entirely (not gonna happen), I vote to keep it just the way it is.

Perhaps we could get rid of the collar though, which I can't imagine would be particularly comfortable to play in.

• Like 3

oh goodies ...this ol chestnut lol

Clint ...get ready with all our past efforts !! :rolleyes:

I would absoloutely love to have the eighties style electric blue jumper as our clash jumper....its part of our heritage and means something. Its also light enough not to clash with Essendon or stkilda.

Robbie Flower played many games in this jumper.

• Like 2

I love the current clash jumper; and unless we are given the opportunity to exclude the colour white entirely (not gonna happen), I vote to keep it just the way it is.

Perhaps we could get rid of the collar though, which I can't imagine would be particularly comfortable to play in.

The problem I have with the one we have now is that it represents the Sydney Swans or the old South Melbourne more than it does us. Agree that it's insipid and hasn't been associated with much success either.

Time for a change.

• Like 2

Our current clash jumper is the best we have ever had - leave it be.

Anyway, we have bigger fish to fry. Leave the logo, jumper etc... alone until we have a full coaching list, a full list of Board members and leading departmental managers, have been through the draft and trade periods, and have begun pre-season.

• Like 2

Slightly off topic but can someone tell me what's happening with the two different shades of red we have at the moment. I thought we had moved to the more scarlet variation and played in it last year, but now it appears to be on everything (tracksuits, etc) except the players' jerseys and socks, which are 'red' again.

Disagree entirely with this thread.

I want all our energies and resources spent on making us powerful on the field. If we do it wearing the current strip and people don't like it, so be it.

More importantly, though, the current strip is just fine. We're never going to be able to have one that's any colour other than white, so given the white requirement, the current design is fine.

Let's let it go and move on.

• Like 1

Are all clubs supposed to have a certain amount of white in their clash guernsey? I'd love to ditch the Sydney jumper as soon as possible. The 70s and 80s royal blue and red doesn't clash with anyone except the Bulldogs, and our regular jumper is fine against them. While that royal blue guernsey is associated largely with ineptitude, at least it has Melbourne history. Failing that, I'll take an all red jumper with the traditional MFC logo in the middle.

Not flopping hard to get right.

• Like 2

This year, in our away games, we wore white against Essendon, Brisbane, Carlton, Fremantle, St Kilda, and Adelaide.

We wore blue in our away games against Richmond, Geelong, GWS, Gold Coast, and Western Bulldogs.

The only one of those that bothers me was the white jumper against St Kilda, where I felt the blue would have done the job. Probably could have got away with wearing the blue against Brisbane, but that's neither here nor there. Same with Fremantle.

So long as we aren't asked to wear white in any away game to St Kilda next year, the situation is completely fine for us.

The AFL make the clash jumper policy up as they go. That we were forced to wear it against St.Kilda which actually made the clash far worse defied logic. If we had to wear an alternate strip, I'd opt for a largely red jumper with a navy blue yoke and white shorts. If Gold Coast can wear its all red uniform against Essendon, then surely we could too?

• Like 1

Great thread Jack. I agree I hate the clash jumper, I think it represents our last 7 years perfectly (absolute pushovers).

I would be happy enough if the club just inverted the colours or used the old royal blue and bright red. Collingwood, North and even Sydney do something similar. Even the bombers and tigers haven't ventured far from their colours and not incorporate the white, so I don't see why we should.

With a new chairman, new board members, CEO and coach, I think it's time to revisit the issue of our image on the field at those times when we must (and most times I disagree with the need) wear a clash strip.

I think the predominantly white number not only looks insipid but it's also one with which we rarely taste success when we wear the bloody thing.

I know this isn't the most pressing thing facing the powers that be but I'd like to nominate this number which a poster put forward a few years ago:-

370914westprestonlakesi.jpg

The blue V needs to be navy rather than royal blue and I would remove the trimmings at the side and make both V's a little thicker but at least, it looks like a real footy jumper rather than what we have now.

I also remember reading a while ago that the clash strip needs to be kept for at least two years. I reckon we've had enough of our current model and need something new to usher in our new era.

PAAAAAAAARK ME THIS ABOMINATION LOOKS LIKE A FOOTSCRAY AHEM DOGGIES ALTERNATE STRIP

NO NO NO WE DO NOT NEED AN ALTERNATE JUMPER JUST KEEP OUR JUMPER EXACTLY AS IS

WE ARE DEMONS!

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 1

This year, in our away games, we wore white against Essendon, Brisbane, Carlton, Fremantle, St Kilda, and Adelaide.

We wore blue in our away games against Richmond, Geelong, GWS, Gold Coast, and Western Bulldogs.

The only one of those that bothers me was the white jumper against St Kilda, where I felt the blue would have done the job. Probably could have got away with wearing the blue against Brisbane, but that's neither here nor there. Same with Fremantle.

So long as we aren't asked to wear white in any away game to St Kilda next year, the situation is completely fine for us.

I would've thought we'd wear the white strip V Dogs (last week) given that both clubs wear read and blue.

Ive decided after all these years, much thinking

and considering of all the things that really matter

that this is my preferred away jumper.

rt3x.jpg

F*#K them all . We are Melbourne

• Like 5

Ive decided after all these years, much thinking

and considering of all the things that really matter

that this is my preferred away jumper.

rt3x.jpg

F*#K them all . We are Melbourne

BEZZE MY FRIEND LUURVE THE WAY YOU THINK!

CHEERS

"FENCE"

It would pay all the hairy shirts on here to remember who currently runs the MFC and who will be for some time yet.

WE will have a white clash jumper for at least the next five years.

Get over it guys white is the one.

It would pay all the hairy shirts on here to remember who currently runs the MFC and who will be for some time yet.

WE will have a white clash jumper for at least the next five years.

Get over it guys white is the one.

OD how did we ever manage all those years ??

Poorly most of the time bb

The reason I ask is there is no hard and fast logic to anyone's clash jumper. It seems differing rules apply to different clubs.

As in the past there is ample area in oter parts of the strip to provide 'meaningful" differentiation.

Some of the occasions we wore the clash strip actually worsened the problem, often where there WASNT one !!