• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Successor

mitch

Its going to be very interesting to see how this plays out.it will say a lot about how far we've come over the recent journey and indicate how well positioned we might be for what lays ahead.

Almost as an aside to whether hes the man for the job if he's the chosen one then that's that. I want to see this club of ours go hard at this.

Colless and his honchos have run riot of late rampaging the league and in reality paying absolutely lip service if that to the laws and spirit. Yes, they're single minded and ruthless in their pursuits and they have 2 recent flags as reward. Well thats how you do it apparently. So time to turn the tables.

We want something lets take it. let them taste blood ( their own ) since theyre so fond of its value.

I want Melbourne to take on Sydney. I want us to get what we want and I want them to hurt and I want to see this spill over into some real fair dinkum inter-city rivalry.

We need a new foe. Yes we have QB but its almost a gentleman's thing these days. The fire and brimstone tete a tetes of yesteryear aren't seen out on the ground these days.

I want a few teams to start hating us and I can find no better candidate to start with than the Swans.

get Dew !!!

Edited by Belzebubsy
  • Like 3

Its going to be very interesting to see how this plays out.it will say a lot about how far we've come over the recent journey and indicate how well positioned we might be for what lays ahead.

Almost as an aside to whether hes the man for the job if he's the chosen one then that's that. I want to see this club of ours go hard at this.

Colless and his honchos have run riot of late rampaging the league and in reality paying absolutely lip service if that to the laws and spirit. Yes, they're single minded and ruthless in their pursuits and they have 2 recent flags as reward. Well thats how you do it apparently. So time to turn the tables.

We want something lets take it. let them taste blood ( their own ) since theyre so fond of its value.

I want Melbourne to take on Sydney. I want us to get what we want and I want them to hurt and I want to see this spill over into some real fair dinkum inter-city rivalry.

We need a new foe. Yes we have QB but its almost a gentleman's thing these days. The fire and brimstone tete a tetes of yesteryear aren't seen out on the ground these days.

I want a few teams to start hating us and I can find no better candidate to start with than the Swans.

get Dew !!!

I don't really care much about any of this beating your chest stuff, it doesn't achieve much if anything. I don't see how teams hating us achieves anything at all, but then again I couldn't care less if they do or don't, we just need to go about our business.

If Dew is the man and he wants the job then my reading is all he has to do is accept and Sydney won't stand in his way. They are adding a little bit of theatre to proceedings at the moment but the key is that Dew is yet to accept our offer (if one has been made). Let's see how it pans out.

I don't really care much about any of this beating your chest stuff, it doesn't achieve much if anything. I don't see how teams hating us achieves anything at all, but then again I couldn't care less if they do or don't, we just need to go about our business.

If Dew is the man and he wants the job then my reading is all he has to do is accept and Sydney won't stand in his way. They are adding a little bit of theatre to proceedings at the moment but the key is that Dew is yet to accept our offer (if one has been made). Let's see how it pans out.

you dont ? fair enough

We have been whipping boys for so long I cant remember when we werent. Many other clubs pay us scant if any respect. The attendance at a lot of games sufers because no one from a lot of other clubs can be bothered against lowly Melbourne.

We're so far from respected we are invariably universally piitied and laughed at.

i want that to change

you do what you want .. happy for you

you dont ? fair enough

We have been whipping boys for so long I cant remember when we werent. Many other clubs pay us scant if any respect. The attendance at a lot of games sufers because no one from a lot of other clubs can be bothered against lowly Melbourne.

We're so far from respected we are invariably universally piitied and laughed at.

i want that to change

you do what you want .. happy for you

Respect is not about behaving in a childish manner it's about getting the job done. Things have changed, we are now going about business in a professional manner. I'm sure we will get our man. Respect will come with improved on ground performance simple as that.

As an aside, Colless made himself look a bit of a clown with his rant.

Respect is not about behaving in a childish manner it's about getting the job done. Things have changed, we are now going about business in a professional manner. I'm sure we will get our man. Respect will come with improved on ground performance simple as that.

As an aside, Colless made himself look a bit of a clown with his rant.

You obviously arent getting what Im saying

You obviously arent getting what Im saying

I get exactly what you are saying but I don't think that making big noises off the ground has anything to do with respect. I think getting the job done does as you've identified with Hawthorn on another thread. I like the way we are doing business now, I'm sure we will ruffle some feathers along the way but we won't be grandstanding. Just getting the job done.

rjay.. take away the fanfare and its exactly what we are doing yes. We are taking it up to Sydney . You acknowledge feathers are ruffled..its the same shlt.

Im not talking about rampaging and smacking clubs over head with mallets. Im saying just go and do what we want. Other clubs do we havent. We've been buying into the crap they all dish up. Time to stop. Time to get the Assistant we want, time to be brazen to make a play for a player we want, time to stop getting everything as hand me downs.

Sydney took grandstanding to new levels. theyre winners. what are we.

edit

id like to see a real rivalry born out of this kind of development. we need to make some games a bit more than interesting. We need 'event' games like Collingwood does. A melb syd thing was sort of tried years back but fizzled. It would be good to see it back It has a certain naturalness about it as theres been mutual disdain between the cities for a long long time.Lets ride its coat tails.

Edited by Belzebubsy

rjay.. take away the fanfare and its exactly what we are doing yes. We are taking it up to Sydney . You acknowledge feathers are ruffled..its the same shlt.

Im not talking about rampaging and smacking clubs over head with mallets. Im saying just go and do what we want. Other clubs do we havent. We've been buying into the crap they all dish up. Time to stop. Time to get the Assistant we want, time to be brazen to make a play for a player we want, time to stop getting everything as hand me downs.

Sydney took grandstanding to new levels. theyre winners. what are we.

Now you are talking, when do we start?

• Like 1

If Dew is the man why cant we just wait until the end of next year to nab him. He is out of contract next year isnt he? Then he has a year under roos and be ready to take over if Roos doesnt want to hang around for a 3rd year.

. But I guess he also has family to consider. His partner works for ch7 in sydney and they have a young child. Mind you sydney are pretty selfish in holding him back and stop him form getting a senior coaching gig.

For an offer to me made to Dew youd have to think that that in itself is the culmination of a process. it wouldnt be random.

Dew isnt saying a lot , not need he but he seems to be playing his part in this little game.

If Dew calls it and says he want to go to Melbourne i would find it bizarre if Sydney retained his services any longer.

This strikes me as Us staring them down. I like it :)

Successful clubs take no prisoners. It is not about chest thumping or grandstanding, it is about staking your rightful claim within the AFL. Colless may have looked like a clown over recent weeks, but I would take that any time, if it gives me 2 flags in 10 years. I am with you on this BB. You are on the money. Time for the MFC to slam its fist on the negotiating table and not be pushed around anymore.

Marquee players go to strong clubs. We have to be perceived that way to attract such players.

• Like 1

Slightly OT, but you would have to think, this is a fantastic opportunity for whoever gets the role.

The three coaches at the AAMI Park in the respective codes Ange Postecoglou at the Victory, Craig Belamy at the Storm and now Paul Roos at the Dees. I would argue that these three coaches are perhaps some of if not the best coaches in any football codes in Australia (Roos has been out for several years obviously) but the knowledge that these guys possess about 'Football' codes is huge!

Edited by Oucher
  • Like 2

The article also says Dew hasn't accepted our offer. A minor sticking point ...

Point being we wouldnt have put one there had it not been the next step in discussions.

Stu is in a pretty good position. Good for him

The Roos succession plan is filled with both risk and potential - all new things are. There are other succession plans around (Sydney, Collingwood), but the plan was not in place before the senior coach has coached a single game. But it is wrong to conclude that the risk is too high or that failure will be the concvlusion before it has been tried.

Tagging the opposition best player was new once.

So was the flood.

So was the forward and defensive press.

So was Pagan's paddock.

Let's step back, give the Dees succession plan some time, and then review. Surely unformed potential it is better than the Neeld era!?!?

As for Dew, it must be clear to the Swans that Dew's heart is no longer with the Swans. He has been offered a job that is very, very attractive and he simply wants out. The Swans are mad to want to keep him now. He might be wearing red and white, but in his head and heart he is examining the Dees list, thinking about the Dees trading, and beginning to get his head around working with Roos. Stop being pig-headed, Sydney, and let the man leave.

And I love the fact we are quietly, gently but forcefully having our way. No media leaks, just a strong powerful undercurrent of hard work and bullish recruiting of staff.

• Like 2

The article also says Dew hasn't accepted our offer. A minor sticking point ...

Wondered when that minor detail was going to be noticed in the article. Might be posturing from Swannies, or they have just not been informed of Dew's "intent" for when his contract expires or what he'd like to do now.

Wondered when that minor detail was going to be noticed in the article. Might be posturing from Swannies, or they have just not been informed of Dew's "intent" for when his contract expires or what he'd like to do now.

the key word missing would be "YET"

This from the AFL trade page:

11.45am: Radio station Triple M Brisbane is reporting, via an unnamed source "deep inside the Brisbane Lions", that Simon Black is set to retire and take up an assistant coaching role at the Sydney Swans.

The report is unconfirmed at this stage.
Do you think this would change the status at Sydney re Dew?

Setting aside the merits of the whole concept ...

How is Dew moving to MFC while still contracted to Sydney for this successor role any different to the precedent set last year with Cameron to GWS?

Sydney and the coaches association need to get off the grass.

The difference is simply whether or not a club wants to enforce the contract - this idea of a "gentlemans agreeement" is simply that - a non binding notion of allowing an assistant to move on to greener pastures. We let Wellman move on from an assistant role to an assistant role whilst under contract. Bottom line is that there is a contract in place and it can be enforced. The coaches association needs to shut the hell up.

• Like 1

succession plans work (we have them at my company) as long as the successor is assessed all the way along the journey and continues to develop into the successor you want.

We have cut successors before that havent "progressed". It must be made clear to the heir apparent that the succession plan comes with annual reviews leading up to the hand over. Whilst there is an expectation of a handover both parties need to understand that things dont always work out as planned and there is the option for either party to terminate.

Edit -there is always the possibility that if you think the successor aint ready he may walk - i think Collingwood/Bucks and Malthouse were confronted with that .

Edited by nutbean

Setting aside the merits of the whole concept ...

How is Dew moving to MFC while still contracted to Sydney for this successor role any different to the precedent set last year with Cameron to GWS?

Sydney and the coaches association need to get off the grass.

Contracts are just bits of paper. Dew can leave anytime he wants, the Swans have to then decide if they seek compensation from him for a breach of contract or pursue any contractual conditions that may be present in the conract. I can't believe the AFL or the coaches association would be keen for that to occur.

I agree with BB, if Roos and PJ want Dew then bugger the Sawns, we should take the fight up to them and get him when he and the MFC reach an agreement. I also agree with rjay, that this should be done professionally and with due process but definately not with any regard to the wants or need of the Swans.

• Like 1