• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Successor

mitch

Apparently a George Stone has left the building up there in sin-city :rolleyes: Seeking to spend his time fully in ( or is that @ ) Melbourne ^_^

Another one down , another to go !! :)

• Like 1

i am perplexed as to why this succesion plan thing and Dew in particular, is not being howled down. What exaclty has Dew done to be nominated as the Mfc coach, which will be the most important placement in the history of the club, in 3 years time?! isnt he sydneys midfield coach? wasnt neeld the pies midfield coach? why is it automatically assumed he will be good enough for such a vital role in teh clubs future? he wasnt even considered by many to even be in the running until the big names nominated other jobs. he doesnt have runs on the board yet the club is coming out and saying that he will be it. i really dont agree with this. i agree with succession plans but not when it means naming a guy 2 or 3 years out. this is fraught with danger. hire some coaches then in 3 years time decide which one is best. what if in 3 years time our midfield is still average and one of the scott boys or ross lyon is on the market. then what?!! stick with the decision made 3 years previously?? it reeks of amateur hour. MFC, just focus on getting the most out of the Paul roos years then make an informed decison when the time comes.

i am perplexed as to why this succesion plan thing and Dew in particular, is not being howled down. What exaclty has Dew done to be nominated as the Mfc coach, which will be the most important placement in the history of the club, in 3 years time?! isnt he sydneys midfield coach? wasnt neeld the pies midfield coach? why is it automatically assumed he will be good enough for such a vital role in teh clubs future? he wasnt even considered by many to even be in the running until the big names nominated other jobs. he doesnt have runs on the board yet the club is coming out and saying that he will be it. i really dont agree with this. i agree with succession plans but not when it means naming a guy 2 or 3 years out. this is fraught with danger. hire some coaches then in 3 years time decide which one is best. what if in 3 years time our midfield is still average and one of the scott boys or ross lyon is on the market. then what?!! stick with the decision made 3 years previously?? it reeks of amateur hour. MFC, just focus on getting the most out of the Paul roos years then make an informed decison when the time comes.

There is no specific formula for picking a successful coach. Presumably we rate his footy brain and his man management skills. Just my guess.

Your post reeks of amateur hour.

From the outside, how do you expect any of us to have any idea of whether he's suited to the job or not?

You're going on reputation based on what the media says.

As an example, Hinkley was passed over for job after job.

Look how he's rated now.

Surely Sydney being so hesitant to release Dew tells you something?

You're the only one making "automatic assumptions."

Roos has worked in close proximity with Dew, and you have no reason to believe that it's a decision made in haste.

dew has been coached by john cahill, mark williams, and alistair clarkson, then worked as an assistant under paul roos then john longmire.

he's great in the media, as anyone from adelaide will tell you.

oh, and he used to nail teresa palmer.

a quick google search has told me that teresa palmer also went out with russell brand. that means that melbourne's future coach is only 2 degrees of separation from russell brand, didnt see that coming!

I agree in part with this. It would be a travesty if in 3 years time Alistair Clarkson and/or Ross Lyon were done with their flag tilts and in the market but we're stuck with Dew who despite 3 years under Roos would be an unknown commodity as senior coach.

However, we would not have landed Roos without the succession plan theory, and Simpson, Tudor, Burns, Ling and any other name that has been thrown out there are in the exactly the same position as Dew.

In short, who they pick as the successor isn't the problem - it's the succession plan itself that is flawed. But a necessary step that had to be taken.

Hey guys Sam Reid is up from my way and having gone to school with his brother Ben and being great mates with him i managed to have a beer recently with Sammy and Benny and couple of our old school mates when these boys were up. Good night too!

Anyways i brought up Dew to Sammy and his thoughts about joining melbourne. He spoke very highly of him and said he is a ready to become a senior coach. He knowledge of the game and quick thinking tactics are very highly rated at Sydney. Said the absolutely love him as he knows how to build relationships with players and staff. Dew demands respect and when he talks players listen. But at the same time he loves to have a joke around with the players something player really respect.

Interestingly he joked that if Dew become our senior coach Reid would love to player under him.. but there is a reason why the Swans are [censored] off with us poaching him, he is hugely rated at the Swans.

Nothing but a bundle of positives for Dew which i was surprised. Players rate him and are bit upset at the prospect of him leaving.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 6

As far as Longmire on SEN today goes:

- Dew has been a line coach for the last 3 years at Sydney, was a development coach before that

- obviously very highly rated by MFC, highly rated by Swans too

- "Sydney now in discussions with Dew, and we'll see what comes out of that"

Fairly straight bat from Longmire, and kept it brief.

Most of the talk was Buddy, Tippett, Sam Reid & COLA.

• Like 1

Hey guys Sam Reid is up from my way and having gone to school with his brother Ben and being great mates with him i managed to have a beer recently with Sammy and Benny and couple of our old school mates when these boys were up. Good night too!

Anyways i brought up Dew to Sammy and his thoughts about joining melbourne. He spoke very highly of him and said he is a ready to become a senior coach. He knowledge of the game and quick thinking tactics are very highly rated at Sydney. Said the absolutely love him as he knows how to build relationships with players and staff. Dew demands respect and when he talks players listen. But at the same time he loves to have a joke around with the players something player really respect.

Interestingly he joked that if Dew become our senior coach Reid would love to player under him.. but there is a reason why the Swans are [censored] off with us poaching him, he is hugely rated at the Swans.

Nothing but a bundle of positives for Dew which i was surprised. Players rate him and are bit upset at the prospect of him leaving.

You could insert neelds name in there. pendlebury thought he was an incredible coach. Dew might be great but i cant see why the club needs to commit 3 years out when they have no idea what other options may be available come the time. im not disagreeing with dew supposed credentials as i have no idea. i do however disagree with the idea of committing to something when we have no idea what other opportunities may present themselves. what if Dew is ok but another sst at the club shines or clarko wants to coach the dees etc. my point is that i feel the better strategy wouldve been to hire the coaching team, announce that in the next couple of years the club will be assessing options to replace Roos and then take it from there.

Not sure if this has been raised but if Dew is an assistant at the Swans and we want to make him a senior assistant isn't that a promotion in itself? Never mind that he will then be promoted again to senior coach.

Has been mentioned but everyone is still looking at both positions as being an assistant coach

You could insert neelds name in there. pendlebury thought he was an incredible coach. Dew might be great but i cant see why the club needs to commit 3 years out when they have no idea what other options may be available come the time. im not disagreeing with dew supposed credentials as i have no idea. i do however disagree with the idea of committing to something when we have no idea what other opportunities may present themselves. what if Dew is ok but another sst at the club shines or clarko wants to coach the dees etc. my point is that i feel the better strategy wouldve been to hire the coaching team, announce that in the next couple of years the club will be assessing options to replace Roos and then take it from there.

I know what you mean, but anything is a gamble. It's a case of trusting Roos' views.

Also, Adam Simpson has just been appointed West Coast's senior coach and he has no more experience as an assistant than Dew.

Edited by Ben-Hur
  • Like 2

Maybe Dew doesn't want to come to the MFC? I think if he dug his heels in with Sydney he could be with us tomorrow.

Apparently he approached us about the role, so I can't see that being the case. If it were, it's a simple matter of stating that he wants to stay at the Swans, and the media moves on.

Articles about us wanting him, and Sydney wanting to keep him wouldn't be printed if there was no story. He obviously wants to come, or is weighing up both offers.

dew has been coached by john cahill, mark williams, and alistair clarkson, then worked as an assistant under paul roos then john longmire.

he's great in the media, as anyone from adelaide will tell you.

oh, and he used to nail teresa palmer.

And yet he is only 34 - you would think he had been coach for a couple decades by reading that.

That's really the only thing that worries me - at 34 there must still be a few question marks over his ability to perform at the top (don' want to make a Neeld mistake again).

If we do get him I would like him to have as long as possible under Roos. Also I would like Melbourne to have two possible successors so we don't put all our eggs in one basket.

It would be great if Roosy stayed coach for 3 years and then 1 year as Dew's senior adviser. But I only see that happening if Roosy believes in the direction of the club after his 2-3 year contract ends.

• Like 1

Josh Mahoney just stated of the 5-6 guys for this role, Dew seems to be their preferred option. They didn't even talk with Tudor, and Bassett hasn't been spoken to either.

Yep he said Dew was their preferred option.

Mahoney denies doing a lot of things - which makes you ask what they are doing. (think they are just playing their cards close to their chest)

You talked with any clubs about Jamar? - nope

You talked to Adeliade about Sloane? - nope

Nope, nope, nope etc.

Edited by Young Dee

Yep he said Dew was their preferred option.

Mahoney denies doing a lot of things - which makes you ask what they are doing. (think they are just playing their cards close to their chest)

You talked with any clubs about Jamar? - nope

You talked to Adeliade about Sloane? - nope

Nope, nope, nope etc.

It's good that things are not being leaked, but at this time of year as supporters who are wanting 'anything' to allow hope for the new season it's frustrating as hell :D

I think we will be happy at the end of this trade period, I just reckon we will need to wait till closer to the end of the trade period.

Not sure if people heard Nathan Brown and the other guy afterwards, but they both seemed to think that the Dees have a bit of hope and something to look forward to, but they commented that the Dees and Saints are trying to be active, but it's hard when some of the other clubs are not as eager...