Neil Craig appreciation thread

This is not a thread to advocate that Neil become coach in any way, shape or form.

I would like to salute Neil in the way he has carried himself in extremely difficult circumstances. Sure, at times he has made some moves that have been puzzling but during this time, he has been honest, open and acted with the utmost integrity. He may not get the job next year (sounds like Paul Roos is getting more likely as we go along) but he has impressed me tremendously and I would love to see him stay on as a development coach next year.

Edited by Guest

I have a hell of a lot of love for the crazy old guy in short shorts and long socks pulled up.

I hope they can find a way to make it work with him staying at the club, but I know that is very unlikely.

A great contributor to the game of football.

Cheers to you, Craigy.

• Like 1

If Roos is a done deal, then I hope Craig gets the Brisbane job. I too have a soft spot for the bloke and just can't see where he would fit in our club with an experienced senior coach at the helm (just being realistic).

Thanks Neil. The caretaker job of a struggling club really is the epitome of being on a hiding to nothing, and I think you did well under the circumstances.

• Like 11

If Roos is a done deal, then I hope Craig gets the Brisbane job. I too have a soft spot for the bloke and just can't see where he would fit in our club with an experienced senior coach at the helm (just being realistic).

Thanks Neil. The caretaker job of a struggling club really is the epitome of being on a hiding to nothing, and I think you did well under the circumstances.

I am sure that Roos would prefer that Craig move on but this should be handled with Craig given time to collect his thoughts, talking to some clubs and moving at his own pace.

In no way shape or form should he be told he isn't wanted.

He can see the writing on the wall, and he can find the door himself.

Thanks for the honesty and for a much better 11 games than the first 11 games.

• Like 5

I hope Roosy, if he gets the gong, keeps an open mind about Neil. The players clearly have a lot of time for the man and I know we should judge people on their actions rather than their words but he seems to have their welfare at the forefront of his thinking. Despite the Neeld era being an unmitigated disaster, he (and Nate Jones) has been one bright spot among the gloom. I have always said you should keep the stuff that is good rather than cleaning out for cleaning out's sake.

That being said Neil may have caught the senior coaching bug again and will move to Brissy. I view this experience as no skin off his nose as a coaching panel of Sheedy (the Essendon circa 1984 model, before he lost his marbles), Malthouse (WCE days), Jeans and Bomber Thompson could have gotten a respectable performance out of the 2013 Demons. I don't think it will effect his employability at all.

Edited by Guest

Agree Nasher. Took over a train wreck that was going to be impossible to correct mid season.

With drums beating towards Roos, I think Craig is smart enough to realise the writing is on the wall. Nevertheless, his exit if he does not get the main gig should be done respectfully and professionally.

I have great respect for Craig and think he could be good for the club so I hope he stays on. I think he got conned by Neeld just like the club did but he won't say a bad word about him because of the type of person he is.

He's stated he loves Melbourne and Melbourne city so I think he will stay if he can.

I have great respect for Craig and think he could be good for the club so I hope he stays on. I think he got conned by Neeld just like the club did but he won't say a bad word about him because of the type of person he is.

He's stated he loves Melbourne and Melbourne city so I think he will stay if he can.

I agree Robbie, he is contract for next year so if the MFC want him to leave it will cost.

I guess the new coach will have a large bearing on if he stays or goes like a lot of things time will tell.

I agree entirely with the sentiment here, and I'm not sure that Roos would necessarily want Craig to move on. He may, but then, he may not.

I'm good at what I do and I don't need someone to tell me how to do it, but I still keep a team around me that I can bounce ideas off, delegate responsibility to, trust with important tasks, etc.

Unless he lands a senior gig next year, Craig is going to cost us $400K (or whatever the figure is, I believe it's in that ballpark). I don't see any reason why we shouldn't get a return on that investment, no matter how senior the senior coach is.

• Like 1

Craig is a fantastic bloke and a gentleman. ill never forget after a game at the G when he was coaching the crows he walked to the fence and spoke to some crows fans who had a small boy. Craigy lifted the kid over the fence and walked him out to the middle of the ground and let the little fella soak up the atmosphere. an incredible gesture and one that young kid will never forget.

I think the team played so much better the 2nd half of the year, apart from a couple of games and even when they got flogged there was more of a semblance of structure and link up between players.

He should not be tarred with the Neeld brush. he is better than that and regardless of what happens with the MFC coaching position I think it would be a tragedy if he was lost to footy. Hopefully he can stay on in a development role which he has said he almost prefers over chasing premierships, or if not then ive got my fingers crossed he'll pick up a head coach gig somewhere.

I always enjoy his press conferences. Candid and refreshing and respectful. in front of the mic he is the "anti-Malthouse". !

Thanks for picking up the slack in difficult circumstances Neil. Much appreciated by all supporters.

• Like 1

His reasons for coming to us in the first place, I am sure, struck a cord with all us diehards. He spoke of our history in the game and our future importance in it. Loved him even prior to this statement, we need people like this man in our game, I hope there is a meaningful role for him to play with us and if not then he should snag the Brissy job which I am sure will please their supporters. Best of luck!

Great bloke, but disagree about some of the plaudits of his coaching. I make two points. Firstly, I don't think we did any better in the second half of the year, which included a loss to GWS. People wanted to convince themselves that the emperor had new clothes, but in reality, it was more of the same and in fact I think in some respects worse match day coaching. Clearly better communication, mind you!

Secondly, Craig backed Neeld all the way and still does. So I find those who bag Neeld and compliment Craig to be absolute hypocrites.

Great bloke, but disagree about some of the plaudits of his coaching. I make two points. Firstly, I don't think we did any better in the second half of the year, which included a loss to GWS. People wanted to convince themselves that the emperor had new clothes, but in reality, it was more of the same and in fact I think in some respects worse match day coaching. Clearly better communication, mind you!

Secondly, Craig backed Neeld all the way and still does. So I find those who bag Neeld and compliment Craig to be absolute hypocrites.

1) I'm not sure many could have done much better. I think we plunk Paul Roos in at round 11 this year, he would probably do no better. I think Neil was put in place to stop the playing group from completely imploding. Who knows what might have happened had Neeldy stayed the year? It sounds like hyperbole, I will admit that, but who is to say there mightn't have been walk outs mid season?

I think we copped a few genuine floggings after round 11 but I believe it went from 7 floggings (60 points and over) with Neeld and 4 after him (though some might look at the GWS on par with a flogging). Let's also be honest. NONE of this is acceptable. It doesn't mean Neil needs to be tarred and feathered. I think the point is he did the best he could in an absolute train wreck of a situation.

I will say here as well that anyone expecting overnight success with Craigy were deluding themselves. We have been a circus for the last 5 years. It was never going to turn around completely in 2 months.

2) Onto your second point and the sentence that caught my eye. Here's the thing: What can Neil actually do on that front? Get up at a press conference or appear in a club media piece and rant and rave about how much of a mess he inherited and bag out the players? (Sounds like someone else I know) I won't say I know what Neil truly felt about Mark Neeld (He also said he wondered if there was anything he could have done to save MN's neck hence intimating he knew there was something slightly wrong) but as I have said in other threads, footballers and coaches aren't characters whose lives end once we turn the TV off. I would hope that it's out of professional loyalty and courtesy is why Neil isn't bagging MN out.

Edited by Guest