Bombers scandal: charged, <redacted> and <infracted>

Jonesbag

I'm not a goddard fan anymore, hes a bit slow & I don't think he'll age well in footy terms.

pretty fair swap then lol

But in all seriousness Im not really sure id go anywhere near them. Still, If they trade it encourages others to move. Thats fine

• Like 1

pretty fair swap then lol

But in all seriousness Im not really sure id go anywhere near them. Still, If they trade it encourages others to move. Thats fine

I suspect they may lose some of their kids, moreso than others who are entrenched in the red sash.

there may be some young kids who's families want out of there after this.

we better keep our ears to the ground, well have to, to out hear bloody Dumbo over there.

I find it funny that the club don't know who the woman was that called in, but the players do and won't tell the club who it was.

Not a well known player's mum

But she made it bleeding obvious with the comment about his age.

That and the fact she clearly lives in Melbourne.

There's only one that fits when you look at the particulars.

• Like 1

Chris Connolly was suspended for 12 months for telling a dumb joke about tanking.

Hird orchestrated, sanctioned and oversaw a regime of unknown and/or undocumented substances into 40 young men. He seems likely to also receive a 12 month suspension.

I can't read those two paragraphs and reconcile in my mind how this is possible, let alone just.

• Like 11

Tonight's Carlton v Essendon game could be significant in determining how long Hird has left as coach of the club (assuming a deal isn't finalised during the day).

For the greater part of the season, the Essendon players and their fans backed Hird in the face of the adversity of the claims made against the club and him personally. The cracks started to appear slowly at first with some less than impressive wins against the Bulldogs and GWS. Then they ran headlong into Hawthorn and Collingwood and the pressure mounted. Exposed badly by West Coast and trounced by North, they face fierce rivals in Carlton tonight in a game that is rapidly becoming meaningless in terms of their ladder position this year but is nevertheless important in terms of the perception of Hird within his own club.

The players have now seen the charges and have read the Doc Reid letter. The trust and faith in Hird must have been drastically eroded this week. The natives are becoming exceedingly restless. If the AFL/ASADA/the courts don't get Hird, he might get eaten up by his own.

They need to get the deal done today.

• Like 2

Chris Connolly was suspended for 12 months for telling a dumb joke about tanking.

Hird orchestrated, sanctioned and oversaw a regime of unknown and/or undocumented substances into 40 young men. He seems likely to also receive a 12 month suspension.

I can't read those two paragraphs and reconcile in my mind how this is possible, let alone just.

Welcome to the world of the AFL.

One is from one of the most powerful clubs in the AFL, the other is from the MFC.

One is the golden boy, the other a journeyman.

One has put lives at risk, the other at the very worst, was part of not trying 100% to win a couple of games, that may have been unwinnable anyway and at best joked about draft picks, in a private club meeting.

Both to get the same penalty, yeah, that's fair.

As I said at the top, welcome to the world of the AFL.

• Like 9

The world doesn't begin or end with the AFL, Redleg.

The settlement that's being worked out at the moment can only cover the existing set of charges laid out by the AFL against Essendon and some or all of the Four Aminos.

These are the tip of an iceberg bigger than the one that hit the Titanic.

Still to come is the final ASADA Report (including evidence to be eventually gleaned from Dr. Dank) which will then most likely result in the issue of infraction notices. If notices are issued, these need to be dealt with by the AFL and then, if the world governing anti doping body (WADA) isn't happy with the outcome, it can appeal.

Then there's the ACC Report and possible criminal action and some other side matters such as Doc Reid's situation in the medical profession.

And while this drags on, every player on Essendon's 2012 list becomes an untouchable.

As the lady sang in the film, this will "go on and on".

• Like 1

But she made it bleeding obvious with the comment about his age.

That and the fact she clearly lives in Melbourne.

There's only one that fits when you look at the particulars.

He's not from Melbourne.....

I see this morning that they are more than likely to be kicked out of the finals. I'd say they've decided to play ball now they know they are completely no chance of winning the flag. I'd imagine it would be a different scenario if they were still sitting in the top 4 and a chance at a premiership. They are obviously taking that and trying to keep their picks for the next 2 seasons. I'd say the outcome will be:

1) Stripped of points.

2) Hird banned for at least a season.

3) Stripped of picks for next season (they will probably argue their way out of 2 seasons).

4) Other staff suspended for 6 months i.e. Thompson, Reid etc.

The settlement that's being worked out at the moment can only cover the existing set of charges laid out by the AFL against Essendon and some or all of the Four Aminos.

Still to come is the final ASADA Report (including evidence to be eventually gleaned from Dr. Dank) which will then most likely result in the issue of infraction notices. If notices are issued, these need to be dealt with by the AFL and then, if the world governing anti doping body (WADA) isn't happy with the outcome, it can appeal.

Then there's the ACC Report and possible criminal action and some other side matters such as Doc Reid's situation in the medical profession.

And while this drags on, every player on Essendon's 2012 list becomes an untouchable.

Then the players sue the club.

But will they sink in the end?

I see this morning that they are more than likely to be kicked out of the finals. I'd say they've decided to play ball now they know they are completely no chance of winning the flag. I'd imagine it would be a different scenario if they were still sitting in the top 4 and a chance at a premiership. They are obviously taking that and trying to keep their picks for the next 2 seasons. I'd say the outcome will be:

1) Stripped of points.

3) Stripped of picks for next season (they will probably argue their way out of 2 seasons).

Caro is pretty sure the AFL want 2 years of draft picks.

Also, journos are now saying losing this year's points is really nothing, as they are shot anyway.

in the solitude of my isolation I feel there is more to this than is being revealed even as more and more is being released.

We are still unsure about the actual doping ASADA and WADA investigations which began the story.

Investigation of Sharks Rugby and other players and criminal involvement was mentioned initially

Danks Mission etc were revealed from that process

Danks Mission had involvement with other AFL clubs including Geelong from memory

Thomson and his mate were strongly influenced by other clubs percieved actions.

Essendon certainly seems to have few records of their practices

Players at Essendon may have to take action in the future as issues arise and Essendon would have no defence records

There may well be broader use of drug cocktails within the AFL than has been revealed publically.

Other clubs may not be ready to disclose their practices

All may just want this to go away

But then I am just a conspiracy theorist who reckons we were the public example of action on tanking even tho many other sides had the same development practices, and that the Dees could win more games if the AFL would instruct the umpires to award us free kicks for in the back, above the shoulders and tackles where the ball is incorrectly disposed, while allowing latitude for our inexperience if they really wanted too

Sorry just being a bit silly

Excerpts from an earlier interview with Danks The science of Stephen Dank

NM: Why are you sure supplements were not captured by WADA section S0 [which bans the use of supplements not approved for human therapeutic use]?

SD: Because they were compounded. (note: people can legally access and use drugs not approved for human therapeutic use, including AOD-9604, if they are sourced from a compounding chemist. In some cases, a prescription is needed.)

NM: I have interviewed someone familiar with ASADA. They said that if you got assurances from ASADA, then that is a get-out-of-jail card, but you need to prove you got those assurances and one of the ways to prove it is if you got an ASADA receipt [which is usually given when a person makes an inquiry with ASADA and is given advice].

SD: You only get a receipt number when you ring up or online. I was straight inside the bowels of ASADA.

Over at the HUN, Gerard Whateley is desperately trying to cling onto a life raft as his ASADA story becomes more ludicrous by the day. It beggars belief that he continues to ignore ASADA CEO Aurora Andruska's statement on AOD-9604 released earlier this week.

The Titanic is getting closer to the sea bed.

hird should be banned for life, 1 year is far too soft

well..Id take Goddard for JW :rolleyes:

but I digress.lol

the AFL and bombers are thrashing out a settlement as we speak

james hird to remain coach

jack watts to be traded to bombers and played as a loose in the backline

massive overs are to be paid for Sylvia

they must recruit at least one player who cant kick,handpass ,mark,amd has low fitness levels,he is to be kept on list for6 years,giving him time to improve

these points are the bugbear, hopefully they can come to an agreement

• Like 1

Over at the HUN, Gerard Whateley is desperately trying to cling onto a life raft as his ASADA story becomes more ludicrous by the day. It beggars belief that he continues to ignore ASADA CEO Aurora Andruska's statement on AOD-9604 released earlier this week.

The Titanic is getting closer to the sea bed.

Disappointing as Gerard is normally an above par journo...but in this topic he's becoming WTFley

1) Stripped of points.

well, if they don't want 2 Yrs missing AFL 1st & 2nd Rnd draft picks, then ban them form this 2013 draft completely, & 3 Yrs missing 1st Rnd picks... (2013/2014/2015) excepting F/Sons...

* Hird should be OUT for 3 Yrs... he should NOT be welcome back as an AFL coach, such is his disregard for the ethos for the game.

well, if they don't want 2 Yrs missing AFL 1st & 2nd Rnd draft picks, then ban them form this 2013 draft completely, & 3 Yrs missing 1st Rnd picks... (2013/2014/2015) excepting F/Sons...

* Hird should be OUT for 3 Yrs... he should NOT be welcome back as an AFL coach, such is his disregard for the ethos for the game.

I agree with you there. But I was just saying what I think will happen with deals being cut. I guess that's what would of happened with us.

I agree with you there. But I was just saying what I think will happen with deals being cut. I guess that's what would of happened with us.

I know but this is far more serious than a bit of follow the leader list management... ours was just terribly handled making the players up in arms. it wasn;'t so much what we did but how we did it & the general management of the whole shebang. amateur hour again.

Hird should never be allowed to be an onfield coach ever again... skills coach at training OK, after 3 Yrs suspension.

you don't need a journo to know that redleg

Been saying that all along...its a crock