Bombers scandal: charged, <redacted> and <infracted>

Jonesbag

I don't understand this comment from Little though Little said. ''They signed confidentiality agreements and we believed those would be respected.''

Did one of the players spill the beans or does he expect the rest of the world to be bound by agreements signed by Essendon players????

• Like 2

I feel for the players here, they have not been charged yet and should not be named. The same as when a couple of ours were named which I believed at the time (and still do) was disgraceful journalism.

However when infractions/suspensions come it's all gloves off, until that time the Herald Sun should shut the ....up.

Rupert must have given Robbo and his boys a real kicking after Wilson played them on a break last year.

I have yet to see players named on any News Limited website and it would not surprise me if Little himself isn't working the phones internationally to prevent the publication of any of his players' names. One of the Murdoch Empire's leading executives is said to be a Bomber fan and it's also been suggested that as a consequence, their outlets have dealt favourably with the Essendon side over the scandal.

The players' names will come out in the fullness of time but the numbers mentioned in the article tally with the numbers in speculation over the past months since the ASADA interim report was published. It's also interesting that four players may be named who have left the Bombers possibly to go to other AFL clubs. A couple of opposition recruiting officers should be quaking in their boots tonight.

Thanks Crackers & the post script to the above is that the Herald Sun has now released the names.

No surprises and red faces at the Bulldogs and Dockers.

The article is still pushing the tired old line that "ASADA has been accused of telling ­Essendon in 2012 that the substance was permitted for use". Yes, it has been accused of this but there's no proof that it did so nor, in the unlikely event that it did, that it would alter the situation. News Limited's coverage of this scandal has been abysmal.

191935-4d22ee6c-99f7-11e3-a5ad-5f99c6c43

Thanks Crackers & the post script to the above is that the Herald Sun has now released the names.

No surprises and red faces at the Bulldogs and Dockers.

The article is still pushing the tired old line that "ASADA has been accused of telling ­Essendon in 2012 that the substance was permitted for use". Yes, it has been accused of this but there's no proof that it did so nor, in the unlikely event that it did, that it would alter the situation. News Limited's coverage of this scandal has been abysmal.

Agree, and I think Robbo's gig may be on the line by the end of it. Maybe even that News exec with Bomber ties if Rupert doesn't get some award wining stories out of this.

• Like 1

geez the Herald sun are useless

Club captain Jobe Watson, Dyson Heppell and Michael Hurley are among 10 current Essendon players the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority says told its investigators they suspected they had been injected with either Thymosin, AOD-9604 or both.

The herald sun says ASADA says essendon players said....

but then

Stewart Crameri, now at the Western Bulldogs, Scott Gumbleton, now at Fremantle, and delisted Bombers Ricky Dyson and Sam Lonergan also told ASADA they believed or suspected they had been injected with the drugs while at Essendon in 2012.

Also told ASADA.

who is doing the leaking here? Not ASADA. probably a player or player agent.

Or essendon attempting to discredit ASADA

(this whole thing is like when you catch a child doing the wrong thing and they try anything to get out of it "it wasnt me" "she made me do it" "it wasnt my fault" "they were annoying me" "it was an accident" etc)

• Like 2

And this part of the article doesn't gel with me:

The maximum penalty for doping is a two-year ban, but given the unique circumstances surrounding the supplements program, any players found guilty would expect to get significant discounts.

I believe the "discounts" only thing applies where the accused has assisted ASADA in laying charges against other offenders.

• Like 3

and Robinson still bleats on

step by step

little by little

the vice tightens

Agree, and I think Robbo's gig may be on the line by the end of it. Maybe even that News exec with Bomber ties if Rupert doesn't get some award wining stories out of this.

hes definitely wining on for sure

• Like 1

And this part of the article doesn't gel with me:

I believe the "discounts" only thing applies where the accused has assisted ASADA in laying charges against other offenders.

Was going to post similar 'Jack', also seemed a bit odd to me.

if that News article was submitted as HSC exercise in clear thinking it would fail. Full of errors and illogical argument.

If I were Fish and Chips Id remonstrate before being wrapped in it !!

"and questions over the legal status of AOD-9604. ummm No there isnt.

"Whether bans could be pursued over AOD-9604 use is also unclear.

In its Drugs In Sport report last year, the Australian Crime Commission determined it was not banned."

The ACC are the arbiter in this regard.Their opinion is irrelevant to the infraction. And this is mischievious as this isnt the actual case as per theACC

Robinson ...stop now....

if that News article was submitted as HSC exercise in clear thinking it would fail. Full of errors and illogical argument.

If I were Fish and Chips Id remonstrate before being wrapped in it !!

"and questions over the legal status of AOD-9604. ummm No there isnt.

"Whether bans could be pursued over AOD-9604 use is also unclear.

In its Drugs In Sport report last year, the Australian Crime Commission determined it was not banned."

The ACC are the arbiter in this regard.Their opinion is irrelevant to the infraction. And this is mischievious as this isnt the actual case as per theACC

Robinson ...stop now....

Agreed. He should stop not only because he's an embarrassment - he's shilling for the players or he simply doesn't get it - Dirtied Dozen deserve a fair go. The sympathy card might stir up some feeling with the masses but it's a massive deception.

Had the club that employed the "dirtied dozen" kept proper records, then this whole thing would have been done and dusted 12 months ago.

As for having compassion for the players, it's true that they're victims but they did sign waiver forms that mentioned the drugs and they allowed themselves to be subjected to a massive number of injections, some off-site. In the real world, athletes of all sports are educated these days to be vigilant about such things. These guys weren't.

ASADA may not be a perfectly run organisation but I suspect that the delays in completing this investigation were due predominantly to the way others conducted themselves.

• Like 1

The Riddells Creek Football Club is resisting pressure from the AFL to stop Stephen Dank speaking at its launch later this month. The AFL also threatened to fine the club if it allowed Dank to speak but president Jason Allen is standing firm.

I have considered your recommendation that we reconsider our decision to have Stephen Dank appear as a guest speaker for this function. Likewise I have taken into account your concerns that he is still under investigation by ASADA and as a result you feel any comments he may make may bring the game into disrepute, and as a result our Club (RFNC) maybe be penalised under section 7.1.1 DISCIPLINE, SUSPENSION AND EXPULSION OF MEMBERS of the RDFNL Constitution.

Unfortunately, and with all due respect at this stage, I do not share your concerns and in fact to the contrary, I believe that your attempt and any similar attempts by the AFL to silence or suppress anyone that speaks against them in defence of themselves, to be a restriction to the virtue of freedom of speech and the notion that you are innocent until proved guilty which is awarded to all Australians.

The RFNC does not represent Stephen Dank nor his views on what he may or may not say or write, however, we do respect his right to express his side of this story as a free and independent Australian. If you believe that you have the authority to silence Mr Dank, then you need to exercise this right against Mr Dank.

Furthermore, as you are aware I did offer the AFL the opportunity to make an appearance on the day in lieu of Mr Dank, which I considered to be a reasonable alternate solution to this situation and considered this to be a more than generous offer on my behalf. Had this been accepted or acted upon at the time, it would have eliminated us having to have this discussion at this late stage. This offer was rejected by the AFL at their own discretion and free will. I have subsequently sold a number of tickets to this event having advertised Stephen Dank as being a part of the day.

In summary, I thank you for expressing your concerns, however, unless the RDFNL or the AFL can provide sound quantifiable legal cause to the contrary, I will continue to allow Stephen Dank to speak at this function and will not hesitate to legally escalate this issue should I feel either myself or any of the officers of the RFNC are being unduly treated, impeded, threatened, intimidated or penalised for doing so.

Stephen Dank finds new path in sport

• Like 1

The Riddells Creek Football Club is resisting pressure from the AFL to stop Stephen Dank speaking at its launch later this month. The AFL also threatened to fine the club if it allowed Dank to speak but president Jason Allen is standing firm.

Stephen Dank finds new path in sport

I went to the movies last night and saw "Dallas Buyers Club" starring Matthew McConaughey as AIDS patient Ron Woodroof, who smuggles unapproved pharmaceutical drugs into Texas to improve his symptoms and then establishes a buyers club for other AIDS sufferers.

At a Mexican hospital, he is prescribed the protein peptide T which improves his health and allows him to live seven years longer than the one month his doctor originally gives him.

McConaughey provides a truly great acting performance in the film but the peptide references had me thinking that Dank is his equal in the art.