The Dons about to burst at the seams, Sean Wellman (again) perhaps? Recruiting staff? etc.

ignition.

DISCLAIMER: This thread is designed to discuss the wake of the Essendon drug scandal, and what the MFC can make of it. This thread is not designed to discuss their supplement program or the use of AOD9604, if you would like to discuss these topics please do so via the links below:

http://demonland.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34330-jobe-took-banned-drug/page-16#entry788749

http://demonland.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34599-the-essendon-crisis-deepens/page-6?hl=aod-9604#entry794606

http://demonland.com/forums/index.php?/topic/33591-wada-confirms-aod-9604-is-a-banned-substance/?hl=aod-9604

The Dons about to burst at the seams, Sean Wellman (again) perhaps?

With the the Essendon drug scandal coming to a close, I ask what can the MFC make of this? Can the club take advantage of the Dons exploding? Can the club poach talented assistant coaches or other staff that may escape or have no relation to any form of punishment?

In comparison I look at our club, we are on the re-build trying to secure an established coach who will likely overhaul the coaching department. Ideally I think we need to replace Brian Royal (midfield coach) first and foremost, however it got me thinking back to Sean Wellman (previous defensive coach currently at Essendon).

Sean Wellman was an excellent assistant coach, in 2010 he had the defense purring, James Frawley was an All-Australian and from reports he built very good rapports with the players. He then went back to Essendon because that's where he played for the most of his career, and there in my view I think he has done a very good job of improving their defense.

So I for one would like to see the club poach him and hope he can be drawn away from the shell shocked Bomber hanger. I'm sure if he returned, faith within the direction of the club would be renewed in James Frawley and obtaining his signature next year (out of contract) will not be as difficult. I also think we would see Garland and McDonald step it up a level.

• Like 1

I think anyone involved in the Essendon debacle would be damaged goods, fragile, handle with care.

You could say the same about anymore involved in MFC, including the supporters. :P

• Like 3

You could say the same about anymore involved in MFC, including the supporters. :P

There are a few that would definitely qualify as damaged goods, I can't see CS getting another gig in football.

...as for us supporters, yep definitely some damage there.

There are still penalties to be handed down and an ongoing investigation at Essendon, I don't think I would be putting the welcome mat out too quickly.

There are a few that would definitely qualify as damaged goods, I can't see CS getting another gig in football.

...as for us supporters, yep definitely some damage there.

There are still penalties to be handed down and an ongoing investigation at Essendon, I don't think I would be putting the welcome mat out too quickly.

Yeah, would much rather wait and see what happens there before we hire anyone, obviously some real quality people who work there so if they do get the all clear it will be worth a look

ASADA has also found that Essendon staff failed to implement basic governance, management and medical practices to ensure players were not exposed to health and doping risks. It found that the club failed to follow its own protocols around the use of drugs suggested by Dank.Basic records about what drugs were given to specific players were not kept.

...How long were they supposed to keep them???

Early call. Let the flames die down just a little first!!

Yes it is an early call, however if within the football world it must be played like a game of chess, moves planned in advance with countless variables. Not sit around and think of a plan once the moment strikes.

One reason Wellman went back was to rejoin the old boys club alongside Hird and Thompson. There is a strong chance both those two will not be coaching next year. If Wellman escapes any form of punishment, I would take him back in a heartbeat. I consider him and North Melbourne's defensive line coach some of the best in the competition (excluding general team defense like Sydney and Fremantle).

On another note who else within the club could be poached? Do the Dons have any good quality members within their recruiting department that will be starved of draft selections for the club bringing the game into disrepute?

Think outside the box people, there will be quality staff members within that club that had nothing to do with the scandal, although I'm sure the related environment has made them feel unpleasant or affected their ability to perform their job. Quality staff members can be poached.

Yes it is an early call, however if within the football world it must be played like a game of chess, moves planned in advance with countless variables. Not sit around and think of a plan once the moment strikes.

One reason Wellman went back was to rejoin the old boys club alongside Hird and Thompson. There is a strong chance both those two will not be coaching next year. If Wellman escapes any form of punishment, I would take him back in a heartbeat. I consider him and North Melbourne's defensive line coach some of the best in the competition (excluding general team defense like Sydney and Fremantle).

On another note who else within the club could be poached? Do the Dons have any good quality members within their recruiting department that will be starved of draft selections for the club bringing the game into disrepute?

Think outside the box people, there will be quality staff members within that club that had nothing to do with the scandal, although I'm sure the related environment has made them feel unpleasant or affected their ability to perform their job. Quality staff members can be poached.

I agree.

But lets see who is guilty first!

The thing to remember is we're going to have a new senior coach in the next 10 weeks and they're going to want to hand pick their assistants, it makes no sense to hire new ones until the coach is in place, although i do agree that there may be quality people there worth looking at.

• Like 1

Basic records about what drugs were given to specific players were not kept.

...How long were they supposed to keep them???

Until they realized they had better shred them....asada should have taken their paper recycling for them

As long as the investigation remains inconclusive we're left with fertile ground for the lawyers to have a field day and it's quite possible that Essendon and Hird might even get a temporary reprieve. I sense that such a scenario might see the Bombers taking part in the finals but in the long run, they might regret it even more.

Of course, if Hird stays on for the time being it might also create a situation where his assistants and supporters staff feel more and more in limbo and therefore prone to take offers from other clubs for security reasons.

And what does that all do to rumours that Paul Roos is waiting in the wings to take the Essendon job if Hird falls.

No wonder the MFC on field performance has been so crap for years, it not prepared to do what ever it takes like the EFC and so I hearing other Clubs.

Clearly the AFL could take step against the EFC for bring the game to disrepute now.

I get the feeling the Club will be let off with a $500,000 fine with a few officials getting some form of penalty.

Sound familar?

IMO let stay away from anyone associated with that Club as it has a very toxic environment and they don't have the same values the MFC. Winning is great but not at any cost.

Personally I would rather see the MFC never win another Flag if it required it players to take banned drugs to win it.

Until they realized they had better shred them....asada should have taken their paper recycling for them

Maybe!

Wellman!

This is the guy that bolted to Essendon less than a month after signing a three year contract with us.

Can rot in hell for mine.

Good angle 'old dee', I'd forgotten that and you're right. Sounds like he might well be rotting in hell now, maybe some karma there.

• Like 2

No wonder the MFC on field performance has been so crap for years, it not prepared to do what ever it takes like the EFC and so I hearing other Clubs.

Clearly the AFL could take step against the EFC for bring the game to disrepute now.

I get the feeling the Club will be let off with a $500,000 fine with a few officials getting some form of penalty.

Sound familar?

We got fined $500K for 'not tanking' which everyone knows several other clubs didn't do either. This is way more serious than that. It would be ridiculous if Essendon's fine for the far more serious drug mess was not very much higher. But we know how inconsistent the AFL is all the way from random umpire decisions up to AD.

Wellman was an outstanding defensive coach and will remain so, but the way he left MFC when the Bombers boys club were called home, dropping us cold, left a foul taste in the mouth of many. I reckon we need a clean break from him, from the recent past, and from anything to do with the Bombers last three years that makes our mistakes look like premierships. Everything there is very tainted now.

Would love Ratten back as midfield coach but he is well entrenched at Hawthorn and loving it from all reports. So aim for Ling instead or if not, what about Junior McDonald? His work ethic and communication skills are first class.

What do you reckon abut Johnathon Brown as forward coach? Knows his craft, great leader, well respected - I just don't know what his communication skills are like.

I reckon knowing his craft is a lot different to coaching it, and the Lions have failed to successfully develop a successor in his forward line, despite all the time he has missed with injury providing an opportunity.

I doubt he'd be much interested in coaching either.

Doesn't seem the type to me.

Not sure what would tie Wellman to MFC now anyway.

The club has changed it's training base, 99% of the staff, and only a handful of players would even know him.

His only real ties would be to Garland and Frawley.

I'd offer a job to "the Weapon" as strength coach.

Keep him completely away from running and supplements, but as far strength training, he's regarded as best in the business by many.

As long as it is clearly defined what his domain is, I don't see any issue with having him on staff.

We could have used someone like him in years gone by.

Getting back to the OP, I for one would love to get Wellman back as defensive coach. As it was said above, he had our backline flying when he was in charge. If there is even a sniff of a chance, get on it and try to lure him back. Biggest challenge in football may be just what he needs to get his career back on track.

Sound familar?

IMO let stay away from anyone associated with that Club as it has a very toxic environment and they don't have the same values the MFC. Winning is great but not at any cost.

Personally I would rather see the MFC never win another Flag if it required it players to take banned drugs to win it.

The AFL should have nipped all of this in the bud when West Coke fielded a side of Hulk Hogan lookalikes. But it didn't as it was more caught up in expanding the game and turned a blind eye. Hate Essendon, but I can't help thinking the AFL let all of,this spiral out of control a long time ago. I'll also add, I don't believe all this bullshite about Geelong being squeaky clean. That just mightbe sour grapes but I remember us playing them four years ago and their increase in body size defied belief.