WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - DANIEL CROSS

MadAsHell

It really is just the same old, though.

I think it's damning that it even needs to be said that players need a desire to win. They lack it completely.

I know it's tough, but the reality is that this team is literally a pack of losers. They seem to accept rather than lament a big loss, and for man of the guys it's unacceptable. I am just astonishing that guys like Frawley, Jones, that these guys just seem to go through the motions. I love Jones but I feel the last 12 months he is just going through the paces.

In a pack of downhill skiers, it's always a, "Someone else will do it" mentality. Being hell bent on winning is a fundamental, a requirement. Anyone that doesn't have it should be in the VFL.

The game was lost on Sunday before the match even began. You can see it. It's sad.

I really liked the Corss interview and I really like Daniel Cross - can't argue that he doesn't have a red hot crack every week. Which is more that can be said for others....

But I have to agree with Cudi - most of these guys are just losers - you can see it on the field

Edited by Unleash Hell

I really liked the Corss interview and I really like Daniel Cross - can't argue that he doesn't have a red hot crack every week. Which is more that can be said for others....

But I have to agree with Cudi - most of these guys are just losers - you can see it on the field

That's what we need to break, the players mindset when they take the field is as if they've already lost. I know you say it is same old but even the dogs have had a better mental attitude, they may have been down the bottom but they've show a lot more fight than the Dees in recent years and I want our players to kick, scratch, and bite to want to win.

Cross is a natural at that, I hope if runs off on a few.

It really is just the same old, though.

I think it's damning that it even needs to be said that players need a desire to win. They lack it completely.

I know it's tough, but the reality is that this team is literally a pack of losers. They seem to accept rather than lament a big loss, and for man of the guys it's unacceptable. I am just astonishing that guys like Frawley, Jones, that these guys just seem to go through the motions. I love Jones but I feel the last 12 months he is just going through the paces.

In a pack of downhill skiers, it's always a, "Someone else will do it" mentality. Being hell bent on winning is a fundamental, a requirement. Anyone that doesn't have it should be in the VFL.

The game was lost on Sunday before the match even began. You can see it. It's sad.

I couldn't disagree with you any more about Nathan Jones, and I think it is a ridiculous assertion that he is going through the motions. He has pushed his workrate to yet another level this year and I think he is unfairly copping your understandable disappointment at the team.

But, Jones aside, I definitely agree with your assessment that the list is full of downhill skiers and losers.

I wish opposition teams who beat Melbourne, would at least have to cop a physical battering from a desperate side to get the job done. But most weeks it is a case of a 10 to 15 minute onslaught from the opponents and then the rest of game just meanders along. When opposition teams don't put the cue in the rack is when we end up with thumpings like Essendon last year where they just arse whipped us from opening bounce to final siren.

EDIT: should add I was lumping Cross in with Nathan Jones as one of the only ones willing to dig in

Edited by Forest Demon
  • Like 2

I am just astonishing that guys like Frawley, Jones, that these guys just seem to go through the motions. I love Jones but I feel the last 12 months he is just going through the paces.

In a pack of downhill skiers, it's always a, "Someone else will do it" mentality.

If you are referring to Nathan Jones you are seriously misguided and could not have watched the first 2 games of the year.

• Like 8

The coaching group can only do so much. It will be up to the playing group now. And fortunately we've brought in established winners, leaders and ball magnets to help pull the playing group up to a higher standard.

There's nowhere to hide now if you're not going to give your all.

If you are referring to Nathan Jones you are seriously misguided and could not have watched the first 2 games of the year.

Agreed, he's winning the disposal count for the entire league for crying out loud. Might not be 100% disposal efficiency, but he's doing everything in his power to get that ball in his hands and move it forward.

• Like 1

Having Crossy out there is like having a playing coach.

He'd be drilling into the players everything Roos says.

If Roos from the sidelines, Cross on the ground and Jones through his actions - cannot get this point across, then no one can.

It is the perfect learning blend, Roos message should always resonate, during the week - and out on the ground.

These players no longer have an excuse.

Edited by KingDingAling
  • Like 1

I really like the delisted FA rule - seeing the impact Cross has had here already as well as Chapman at Essendon. These types would have been on the scrapheap 5 years ago but one would expect more and more discarded veterans will get to finish their career on their own terms.

• Like 1

What a leader. This is a brilliant interview. So spot on, and it's great to see another man in the MFC leading by example. I really hope he stays on as a player with us for a few years, and a development coach after.

Glad to hear that spot-on sentiment about supporters is filtering through the playing group. You'd think Roos would be using it as ammunition to rev the boys up.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2014-04-04/dees-must-be-hell-bent-on-winning-cross

Inspirational!! I dream of the day when each and every one of his team-mates can take a leaf out of his book..

That's what we need to break, the players mindset when they take the field is as if they've already lost. I know you say it is same old but even the dogs have had a better mental attitude, they may have been down the bottom but they've show a lot more fight than the Dees in recent years and I want our players to kick, scratch, and bite to want to win.

Cross is a natural at that, I hope if runs off on a few.

I agree and I know the club has a long way to go - you don't turn around 4 years of pain in a couple of weeks or even months, and i'm not suggesting sackings I''m just saying it's not good enough.

I understand it's Roosy job to get them confident and playing as a team but god damn some of these blokes just look pathetic. Some of them look under pressure when there is no pressure around them, and as a whole it's leaving too much work up to too few.. again.

The players as a group need to lift, not just one or 2 at a time, refer back to Roos's Season opening speech, it's up to the players and from the 5 games I've seen so far this year the group as a whole has gone nowhere, in fact the performances have gotten worse with every week...

I couldn't disagree with you any more about Nathan Jones, and I think it is a ridiculous assertion that he is going through the motions. He has pushed his workrate to yet another level this year and I think he is unfairly copping your understandable disappointment at the team.

But, Jones aside, I definitely agree with your assessment that the list is full of downhill skiers and losers.

I wish opposition teams who beat Melbourne, would at least have to cop a physical battering from a desperate side to get the job done. But most weeks it is a case of a 10 to 15 minute onslaught from the opponents and then the rest of game just meanders along. When opposition teams don't put the cue in the rack is when we end up with thumpings like Essendon last year where they just arse whipped us from opening bounce to final siren.

EDIT: should add I was lumping Cross in with Nathan Jones as one of the only ones willing to dig in

You have misinterpreted what I have said. I did not suggest his workrate isn't up to scratch in any capacity.

You have misinterpreted what I have said. I did not suggest his workrate isn't up to scratch in any capacity.

Huh? I stated you said he was going through the motions, which he isn't. I then added he has taken his work rate to another level, which he has.

What Cross said about the supporters put a smile on my face. In my eyes he really gets it. A player at our club for 2 games has connected with me where others haven't in many years. I'm not sure if that's a slap in the face to most of our current players or it's because Cross has his finger on the pulse.

Cowboy_From_Hell does not include Nathan Jones in any criticism of our club or current playing list now and in any future posts.

• Like 2

I'm not sure if that's a slap in the face to most of our current players or it's because Cross has his finger on the pulse.

It's a damning indictment on some of his team-mates - fancy having to be told that you need to be hell-bent on winning; surely the most fundamental prerequisite for playing AFL football.

That it's even part of the discussion is more evidence of just how far away we are from being a competitive side.

• Like 1

Was wrapped when we got him and even moreso after listening to that interview. The determination in his voice is the same determination you hear in Jones, only he has the experience of regularly winning games to know that it can be done. You rebuild a broken club with people like Daniel Cross.

Incidentally, to say that Jonesy is "going through the paces" for the past 12 months has to be one of the crazier things I've read on here. Unless it is somehow possible to lackadaisically carry an entire team on your shoulders.

• Like 1

Was wrapped when we got him and even moreso after listening to that interview. The determination in his voice is the same determination you hear in Jones, only he has the experience of regularly winning games to know that it can be done. You rebuild a broken club with people like Daniel Cross.

Incidentally, to say that Jonesy is "going through the paces" for the past 12 months has to be one of the crazier things I've read on here. Unless it is somehow possible to lackadaisically carry an entire team on your shoulders.

Got to agree Jones ain't going through the paces, in saying that I thought last week you could almost see Jones going "far out this is hard work,

another year and still going through this sh it", he then still killed it.

Its OK . You can just back down and say you were wrong. It happens sometimes.