• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-05-07/cooney-dogs-at-stalemate

Would be cheaper and more realistic then Dasiy.

I know his best is past him, but he's still a very good player and would be out best midfielder by a long way. He may be willing to leave the Dogs as they wont see any success in his time there and he may now just look out for the best contract out there and we should have plenty of room.

How big a splash would it make if we can land a former brownlow medalist through Free agency to show our young midfielders how to go about it and show some leadership. I reckon we should have a real crack, 2.5 mill for 2 years could get it done.

2.5 million for two years for someone whose best is past them? Not sure about that one. Cooney could be a good addition if we could lure him but maybe for a better deal.

• Like 1

I like Cooney when he's flying, but I would always be more than a little concerned about his knee preventing him from playing his best football; after all, it is a degenerative knee problem, so is unlikely to improve, but quite likely to fail him again (just a matter of when).

Also, I would hope the Dogs can keep him rather than weakening their list even further... I feel a little sorry for them as they are the one club that has been in the wilderness even longer than us. Let's raid GWS or GCS or let's go for FAs at clubs who have at least tasted success.

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 4

I get the concerns about the knee, that would be part of the reason why I'd only want the club to give hima 2 year deal on big money, so if it did play up we wouldn't be salary strained for to long a period of time.

As I said I know his best is behing hinm, but he's still a very good player as his current form shows and would provide invaluable experience and leadership. Would be good to have him show Watts how a number 1 draft pick can get the best out of himself. I'd be wrapped to see him come across. Maybe wouldn't need to pay as much as 2.5 over 2, but at least we know that would get him across the line. In our current position we need to pay big to land big names.

Would be a superb addition to our midfield. Even if he is injured it would be a great addition to the club.

There are risks with every player.

Honestly for his price tag I don't think it'd be worth it. He has had well documented issues with his knees and injuries stemming from that, I would be concerned we'd be picking up a lame horse.

• Like 2

Anyone have any thoughts on Xavier Ellis? Could be a pretty handy addition and isn't exactly a required player at the Hawks.

Rate Cooney highly, but I couldn't seriously see us as an alternative spot for him if he left the dogs. Why can we pay him so much more than the dogs? But also, if he wants to move on (and it doesn't sound like he does) surely he would go somewhere that he was a chance at a flag.

Other thing is that currently Cooney has a competent midfield around him at the dogs... the expectation at the Dees for him to be the number 1 midfielder would not be that appealing I wouldn't have thought.

If things broken down... i would expect to see him get heavily courted by the crows. They have cash from Tippett leaving, he is an Adelaide boy, and he could fit in nicely with the other mids they have.

Absolutely not.

the blokes Knee is in awful shape and he is well past his best, you float that sort of money and we would more than likely have a real chance of getting dale thomas who would be a much better prospect

if he is there for abit cheaper he may be worth a look but that 22-26 age group would be much better, we need them to help us revive our team, not prop us up for a year or two if they even manage to get on the field.

Due to the calls from people wanting an A grade midfielder to be recruited and not many being available that we'd have a realistic chance of landing. eg Daisy Thomas.

Given at the end of this season there's a good chance we'll delist the likes of Rodan, Davey & MacDonald there'll be an experience gap again and I've got no doubt Neeld will look to bring in one or two experienced players who can add to the group, even if it's only short term.

Cooney would certainly help our midfield and provide leadership, our best chance of landing him would be a big contract over a couple of years. I wouldn't expect Cooney to be at the club when we have a tilt at a flag, but he could be another key cog in turning the culture and standards of the club around. He'd certainly be a great person to have for the likes of Viney, Toumpas, Taggert and co to learn off.

We may not even approach him, but I reckon if we could land him and his body could hold up for even just 2 years he'd become a very important player for us, despite the fact he's past his best.

Due to the calls from people wanting an A grade midfielder to be recruited and not many being available that we'd have a realistic chance of landing. eg Daisy Thomas.

Given at the end of this season there's a good chance we'll delist the likes of Rodan, Davey & MacDonald there'll be an experience gap again and I've got no doubt Neeld will look to bring in one or two experienced players who can add to the group, even if it's only short term.

Cooney would certainly help our midfield and provide leadership, our best chance of landing him would be a big contract over a couple of years. I wouldn't expect Cooney to be at the club when we have a tilt at a flag, but he could be another key cog in turning the culture and standards of the club around. He'd certainly be a great person to have for the likes of Viney, Toumpas, Taggert and co to learn off.

We may not even approach him, but I reckon if we could land him and his body could hold up for even just 2 years he'd become a very important player for us, despite the fact he's past his best.

That's fine, and i agree on the most part but 2.5 mil over two years is far to much, people thought 500k to land dawes was well overs, imagine what they'd say about that!

Having said that i think we are a reasonable chance of getting Thomas and Cooney, if that's the way the recruiting team decide to go, i personally hope it is, we need a stronger midfield at least until Viney, Toumpas, Trengove and co take some steps forward in their development, and it would give jones and grimes some much overdue support.

That's fine, and i agree on the most part but 2.5 mil over two years is far to much, people thought 500k to land dawes was well overs, imagine what they'd say about that!

Having said that i think we are a reasonable chance of getting Thomas and Cooney, if that's the way the recruiting team decide to go, i personally hope it is, we need a stronger midfield at least until Viney, Toumpas, Trengove and co take some steps forward in their development, and it would give jones and grimes some much overdue support.

Totally understnd the concerns about 2.5mill. Not saying it has to be that much, hopefully we could land him for a fair bit less. I guess by using a figure like that I was just expressing that it would no doubt need to be an offer to good to refuse. Maybe 1.5 - 1.8 range would be a bit more realistic, I probably over shot a little......

Xavier Ellis - we already have too many private school boys. Give me force-of-nature, tattooed, toothless bumpkins or hulking chip-on-shoulder Diamond Valley ferals desperate to make careers as league footballers. Gimme size, power and attitude.

• Like 2

Totally understnd the concerns about 2.5mill. Not saying it has to be that much, hopefully we could land him for a fair bit less. I guess by using a figure like that I was just expressing that it would no doubt need to be an offer to good to refuse. Maybe 1.5 - 1.8 range would be a bit more realistic, I probably over shot a little......

Haha that's alright, I like the idea though, these are the sorts of players that should be doing the job they have asked of rodan and co.

if we could get him for a reasonable price i highly doubt anyone would say no, he isn't going to make a fortune with his injury history in any case i wouldn't have thought.

Xavier Ellis - we already have too many private school boys. Give me force-of-nature, tattooed, toothless bumpkins or hulking chip-on-shoulder Diamond Valley ferals desperate to make careers as league footballers. Gimme size, power and attitude.

I suppose you developed this dislike for "private school boys" as a result of your living in that notoriously working class suburb of Balwyn North? Just give me guys who can play skillful hard at it football regardless of their education, body decoration or anything else you may care to list.

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 6

Best place in Melbourne.

• Like 1

NO WAY! The guy is done..

Waste of $$!

He was really struggling the last 2 seasons, this year he is averaging 23 possies a game and has kicked 8 goals from generally a half back role.... looks like the knee has improved or his ability to build a fitness base has improved.

Take in a minute.

Would be a superb addition to our midfield. Even if he is injured it would be a great addition to the club.

There are risks with every player.

Great post from someboby who has been deriding the players we brought in this year, so an injured player would be a good addition, what sitting in the stands applauding, laughable

Great post from someboby who has been deriding the players we brought in this year, so an injured player would be a good addition, what sitting in the stands applauding, laughable

You have my vote.

IMO there will be little interest from any other club for his services.

He will stay at the Dogs on a much lower salary.

Not sure you are having a go at the poster or the player. The player has been superb this year! Has not missed a game and has been back to his brownlow best in some games.

Rnd 6, 24 disposals, 1 goal, only 4 marks

Rnd 5, 19 disposal, 2 goals 1, only 3 marks

Rnd 4, 30 disposals, 2 goals (They kicked 4 goals for the game) only 3 marks

Rnd 3, 16 disposals, 2 goals, only 2 marks

Rnd 2, 32 disposals, 1 goal, only 5 marks

Rnd 1, 21 disposals, 1 goal, 8 marks