The Trade/Draft Rumour Mill

MadAsHell

Mark Stevens this morning said that GWS is sniffing around for Fyfe, offering pick 1 for him.

He thought they could still get Franklin and get Fyfe.

Franklin definitely going after seeing him bawl his eyes out in the changerooms well after the game had finished.

I would think this is only media speculation about Fyfe. Freo need a tall forward, GWS have a mortgage on Boyd, GWS need some experience and say pick one is up for trade. Do the sums and come up with Fyfe for Boyd. OR...it's just GWS floating the idea.

I don't think Freo would do this, it would be a big mistake and unsettle the club however if they did I think Fyfe would be unhappy about being used as a piece of horse flesh and might just put himself on the open market and screw Freo.

Well apparently not. Just announced in the Sunday Footy show that Fyfe rumoured to be on the table. GWS willing to offer pick 1.

Interesting games with GWS, they control the outcome Re potential Boyd.

& Freo want a power forward. but whats the chance of Patton in Freo?

however Fyfe & Buddy @ GWS has a look about it.

will the Crows up the ante`?

& what about the Cats?

Well apparently not. Just announced in the Sunday Footy show that Fyfe rumoured to be on the table. GWS willing to offer pick 1.

This doesn't make sense for me. Sure, Freo would land Boyd but lose Fyfe, who will be the essential part of their midfield for the next decade. They don't have any other youngsters like Fyfe.

I haven't heard whether Colin Sylvia has accepted the deal Melbourne offered him.

If he hasn't, does that mean as of tomorrow he will be open to offers?

If so as a free agent do we get anything for him, or are we just stiffed again?

So far no answer from Colin whose manager would, I imagine, be fielding some offers from other clubs.

If Colin isn't happy with our offer then he can become a FA on Friday and would be halfway out the door a day or so later.

If he goes, there's a form of compensation available based on a scale which many of the affected clubs weren't happy about last year because the AFL was pretty vague about how it worked. Port Adelaide ended up getting two second round picks for Pearce and Chaplin while Melbourne got one third round pick for Moloney and Rivers. The thing is that the compo is based on the age of the player and the size and length of the new contract. If you get a player in, it can also affect your compo, although last year Shannon Byrnes was apparently not considered worthy of compensation towards Geelong, his inclusion at Melbourne affected ours.

Go figure or, in other words, it's a crock.

Don't expect too much for Col if he goes although if it's the right club in similar circumstances, we might be able to conjure up a trade but that's probably a remote possibility.

Bottom line is that we should be trying to use free agency to get a couple of players in ourselves.

• Like 1

This doesn't make sense for me. Sure, Freo would land Boyd but lose Fyfe, who will be the essential part of their midfield for the next decade. They don't have any other youngsters like Fyfe.

Rumour has it that Anthony Morabito is training the house down after overcoming his 3rd? Knee reco since he was drafted. Perhaps Freo are looking at the future with a Pavlich only having 1 or 2 years left?

Rumour has it that Anthony Morabito is training the house down after overcoming his 3rd? Knee reco since he was drafted. Perhaps Freo are looking at the future with a Pavlich only having 1 or 2 years left?

Morabito is a fantastic player but it would be a huge risk putting any sort of pressure or hopes on him with his injury history. I hope the kid makes it but he will need a lot of luck from here.

The Fyfe rumour is far fetched, BUT, yesterday showed that Freo are still a key forward short of a premiership. Pavlich is almost done and, outside of Mayne who had a shocker yesterday, they don't have much else. They have made plays for Clark, Riewoldt, Franklin etc and missed out on all of them, so GWS dangling Tom Boyd in front of them isn't outside the realms of possibility. They won't trade Fyfe though.

all this fuss about Tom Boyd, imagine if Jesse Hogan was still in the draft

He would be consensus pick 1 by a mile

Not necessarily. We can look at it now after a season at VFL level but if he was still playing 18's it might not be so cut and dried. Boyd was seen as the one last year with Hogan expected to go top 5. I'm happy with Hogan though, I think we've done well.

Not necessarily. We can look at it now after a season at VFL level but if he was still playing 18's it might not be so cut and dried. Boyd was seen as the one last year with Hogan expected to go top 5. I'm happy with Hogan though, I think we've done well.

Hogan is one tick from the Neeld era, and there aren't many of those.

Morabito is a fantastic player but it would be a huge risk putting any sort of pressure or hopes on him with his injury history. I hope the kid makes it but he will need a lot of luck from here.

The Fyfe rumour is far fetched, BUT, yesterday showed that Freo are still a key forward short of a premiership. Pavlich is almost done and, outside of Mayne who had a shocker yesterday, they don't have much else. They have made plays for Clark, Riewoldt, Franklin etc and missed out on all of them, so GWS dangling Tom Boyd in front of them isn't outside the realms of possibility. They won't trade Fyfe though.

You gotta put up something good to get something good.

You gotta put up something good to get something good.

No doubt about it. GWS aren't going to give it away for just something decent. If they want to trade that first pick, particularly if they land Franklin and already have Cameron and Patton, then they'll want something sensational in return. Freo would want to try and trade anything but Fyfe though I would have though.

I will start this post with "Don't shoot the messenger" Just got home from final clean up function at my local ammo's club. Nearly got into a blue because I refuse to believe the rumour. 2 different sources that Nathan Jones is off to Geelong deal done before Roos came on board. NO. Say it isn't so!!! Heard same rumour at Ammo G.F. last week so if it is so widespread why hasn't it appeared here? Same source has Jeremy Howe off as well which I posted elsewhere. C'mon team tell he it isn't true

I will start this post with "Don't shoot the messenger" Just got home from final clean up function at my local ammo's club. Nearly got into a blue because I refuse to believe the rumour. 2 different sources that Nathan Jones is off to Geelong deal done before Roos came on board. NO. Say it isn't so!!! Heard same rumour at Ammo G.F. last week so if it is so widespread why hasn't it appeared here? Same source has Jeremy Howe off as well which I posted elsewhere. C'mon team tell he it isn't true

I think there might be a few people pulling your leg there...

• Like 2

Reported on a couple of the facebook pages that Scott Selwood is being 'heavily linked' to us. Is he an FA?

Note: obviously the facebook pages aren't the most reliable sources.

Heard quite a few times that the Selwood rumours are not true at all and that he is in line to become the next captain of the Eagles. Don't see this one happening.

You sound like those type of people that you literally believe anything anyone says.. You know the ones everyone picks on because they are gulible..?

I would think this is only media speculation about Fyfe. Freo need a tall forward, GWS have a mortgage on Boyd, GWS need some experience and say pick one is up for trade. Do the sums and come up with Fyfe for Boyd. OR...it's just GWS floating the idea.

I don't think Freo would do this, it would be a big mistake and unsettle the club however if they did I think Fyfe would be unhappy about being used as a piece of horse flesh and might just put himself on the open market and screw Freo.

There is no way that Freo would trade a young champion. IMO he has the potential to be the most influential player in the AFL. Absolute gun. Staggered he couldn't get All Australian. Edited by Return to Glory

Heard quite a few times that the Selwood rumours are not true at all and that he is in line to become the next captain of the Eagles. Don't see this one happening.

I'd have thought it was fairly unlikely but he might be a bit concerned about the coaching situation at the moment. You are probably right about the captaincy too, not many others standing up over there at the moment.

Depends on the price, a player like Montagna won't come cheap and that's not for us. Some of our list is now moving into the over 25's anyway so age wise the list is balancing out. We missed top picks with GC and GWS coming in and there will be a hole in the younger talent unless we can recruit a Swallow or Adams if not we need to get into this draft and develop the ones we get along with Viney, Hogan, Toumpas and Barry.

Money is not really an issue. As far as I understand, we aren't even close to the cap. Even if we take a couple of older guys for a year or two at inflated salaries, it shouldn't have too much effect on our list.