• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Not over yet

The Yarra

Today's board room decision is a good one. There are real deficiencies in the way Neeld goes about things but to sack him today would be been a decision of much hipocracy against a board already under the pump for countless reasons.

A bold decision in the face of media imploring McLardy and co to be trigger happy is a show of strength.

Upon appointing Neeld in 2011 he was charged with the task of Restructuring the football department, changing club culture and tightening the defensive aspect of the game plan. Who's to argue his not met these indicators?

The decision to appoint a first year coach must be backed up with at least two years to prove himself in the position as he comes to grip with being a senior AFL coach. After all the guy didn't take on a list of superstars.

In the face of adversity, finally some unity. Lets now see the President and CEO get on the front foot. Create some positive press.

Go Dees.

Edited by The Yarra
  • Like 1

Yeah it's the tightening of the defensive aspects that is probably counting against him more than anything. Our defensive side is atrocious and even worse than it was when Bailey was there.

There is so much wrong with the way our club is being coached right now. For example, who in the fricking hell is responsible for our structure in defending opposition kick ins? Aren't they seeing what we're seeing from the stands each week (I.e. the oppo having at least one completely open player at each kick in and subsequently cruising from defense to attack like a training drill).

Seriously, I could live with watching the insipid offensive style we've employed if we were at least stopping the oppo from scoring in any way shape or form...but we're not.

Having said that, I don't mind what has happened today. make it clear to the coaches that things need to change as of right now...so go out there and find a way to get our list competing...or you leave us with no choice.

• Like 3

Don't read too much into it that they are showing faith in Neeld.

Neeld staying is more due to PJ getting the board right and everything running smoothly for a quality coach to even look at our club.

At current, we are a rabble, we couldn't run a bath - let alone a business, which is what football essentially is these days.

Neeld will stay on board as long as it takes to get the structure of our board right.

As supporters, we will experience pain, it will be frustrating, but the changes that will be made are neccessary changes.

Don't read too much into it that they are showing faith in Neeld.

Neeld staying is more due to PJ getting the board right and everything running smoothly for a quality coach to even look at our club.

At current, we are a rabble, we couldn't run a bath - let alone a business, which is what football essentially is these days.

Neeld will stay on board as long as it takes to get the structure of our board right.

As supporters, we will experience pain, it will be frustrating, but the changes that will be made are neccessary changes.

Yeah tend to agree TOS, methinks its probably the financial. Cant afford to atm but then cant afford not to.

As I keep saying, that was the best 95 point loss I've ever seen. The score really wasn't an indication of how we played. Neeld is on the right track and when it clicks there are going to be some red faces. We are so close to getting this right, and all we need is for the board to back him up, or even keep sitting on the fence like they are, so that they can keep working. It's close to coming together.

• Like 3

As I keep saying, that was the best 95 point loss I've ever seen. The score really wasn't an indication of how we played. Neeld is on the right track and when it clicks there are going to be some red faces. We are so close to getting this right, and all we need is for the board to back him up, or even keep sitting on the fence like they are, so that they can keep working. It's close to coming together.

I remember 1987 RM when it just happened from nowhere and I would love to share your optimism, but can't see it at this stage. I agree there have been some positives but IMO he went hard early with his plan and our boys have struggled, gradual change in the way we play would have been better

• Like 3

Neeld is lucky PJ stepped in when he did.

It would look pretty knee-jerk for PJ to swing the axe after 4 weeks.

I like it that he takes the time to go through things properly making sure he keeps what he likes and discards the rest.

This takes more time than 4 weeks as it involves a bit of planning to secure the good things are around/accounted for when the axe falls.

Not everything should be thrown at once or else it will be a rebuild of a rebuild of a rebuild (rumsfeld style)

So it is up to Neeld to show the progress over the next 4-5 weeks before real changes occur.

You, Ralphie old son, are very easily pleased.

• Like 1

I wonder if the players might hasten his exit by producing another "186" against Collingwood on the big stage. It is clear to me now the supposed 'buy in' to the Neeld plan by players has not been across the whole group and the damage to relationships and alienation of others is possibly beyond repair. While Davey may have got on board recently it would seem that many others are disenchanted or have completely had enough. Others seem incapable of implementing the game plan and are no longer playing with any natural instinct. Playing under those conditions with a fear of breaking team rules and being out of favour with the coaching panel would make it very difficult to enjoy playing. Getting flogged week after week wouldn't help either.

Players aren't stupid. Most of them would have experienced more positive coaches, better playing environments and more on field success in their early careers and would be very disheartened. People can talk about "sticking fat" and all that, but most people have a limit. These guys have a short career and can see it quickly disappearing under miserable circumstances.

It is clear that most of them are not playing for the coach! Many are not playing for each other now either. They are confused and exasperated. I wouldn't blame any of them if they wanted to walk at season's end and rejuvenate their careers somewhere else. A person who can galvanise the group is desperately needed NOW! I don't want to lose Frawley, Watts, Sylvia or anyone else because our footy environment is crap. I don't want older players like Jamar, Davey, playing like they don't want to be there. I don't want young player like Toumpas, Hogan, Viney wrecked either. I don't want our better performing players like Howe, Jones, Clark, McDonald getting any more disillusioned they they must already be.

We will have a record low crowd for the QB clash and a massive flogging is on the cards. It may be brought on by the players lack of ability, effort or understanding of the game plan. Consciously or unconsciously the players may make sure that this happens. If it happens then we must have a caretaker in place by the game after the bye. Even if they put up a better show I won't believe that it was for the coach.

• Like 1

I wonder if the players might hasten his exit by producing another "186" against Collingwood on the big stage. It is clear to me now the supposed 'buy in' to the Neeld plan by players has not been across the whole group and the damage to relationships and alienation of others is possibly beyond repair. While Davey may have got on board recently it would seem that many others are disenchanted or have completely had enough. Others seem incapable of implementing the game plan and are no longer playing with any natural instinct. Playing under those conditions with a fear of breaking team rules and being out of favour with the coaching panel would make it very difficult to enjoy playing. Getting flogged week after week wouldn't help either.

Players aren't stupid. Most of them would have experienced more positive coaches, better playing environments and more on field success in their early careers and would be very disheartened. People can talk about "sticking fat" and all that, but most people have a limit. These guys have a short career and can see it quickly disappearing under miserable circumstances.

It is clear that most of them are not playing for the coach! Many are not playing for each other now either. They are confused and exasperated. I wouldn't blame any of them if they wanted to walk at season's end and rejuvenate their careers somewhere else. A person who can galvanise the group is desperately needed NOW! I don't want to lose Frawley, Watts, Sylvia or anyone else because our footy environment is crap. I don't want older players like Jamar, Davey, playing like they don't want to be there. I don't want young player like Toumpas, Hogan, Viney wrecked either. I don't want our better performing players like Howe, Jones, Clark, McDonald getting any more disillusioned they they must already be.

We will have a record low crowd for the QB clash and a massive flogging is on the cards. It may be brought on by the players lack of ability, effort or understanding of the game plan. Consciously or unconsciously the players may make sure that this happens. If it happens then we must have a caretaker in place by the game after the bye. Even if they put up a better show I won't believe that it was for the coach.

Ok BTDemon, I would love you to complete a task for me. Can you please write a list of all Melbourne players and give a comment, only has to be brief, indicating those that aren't playing for the coach, those that aren't playing for each other, and which players haven't bought in?

If you're not willing to do it, your last post is Barrett-like. And to be honest champ, me putting you in the same category as Barrett is one of the worst personal inuslts you can get, and would actually border on me breaking CoC rules.

TIA.

• Like 9

its working wonderfully!

100pt losses, membership down,low crowds,2mill blowout, player exodus

all going to plan!

What player exodus???

Oh you mean the media lead rumor of a player exodus? The same media that said McLardy was standing down yesterday and Neeld was sacked and Rawlings was in as caretaker?

Forgive me if I disregard your post......

• Like 7

I agree with this. The players tried all day and with better execution the score line would have been much closer. Better execution will come with continued effort and getting back Silvia, Clark, Byrnes and Grimes will help.

As supporters we can help by getting to games and showing we care.

• Like 2

What player exodus???

Oh you mean the media lead rumor of a player exodus? The same media that said McLardy was standing down yesterday and Neeld was sacked and Rawlings was in as caretaker?

Forgive me if I disregard your post......

stop it your showing contempt for the media

Ok BTDemon, I would love you to complete a task for me. Can you please write a list of all Melbourne players and give a comment, only has to be brief, indicating those that aren't playing for the coach, those that aren't playing for each other, and which players haven't bought in?

If you're not willing to do it, your last post is Barrett-like. And to be honest champ, me putting you in the same category as Barrett is one of the worst personal inuslts you can get, and would actually border on me breaking CoC rules.

TIA.

Yes Billy, I am speculating, but like everyone else here I'm not on the inside and can only observe from the point of view of a member and spectator. Like many on this site I spend way too much of my time contemplating the state of the club (and reading everyone else's opinions). I'm not an expert in management, I don't have much playing experience, I don't have corporate experience, so I don't have too much constructive advice about the admin structure of the club.

But I have been following the club for a long time through its darkest periods and can only observe and speculate. On the field I see confusion and lack of unified purpose and what appears to be a lack of heart with some players. I see players who seem not to know what their role is.

Off the field I hear all of the rumours, like most of us. I read the media reports, listen to the radio and watch the telly. Some of it is most certainly scuttlebutt but where there is is such a massive plume of smoke there has got to be a fire. I saw the shabby treatment of the senior players. I see the way mark Neeld speaks to people publicly. I don't like it and I respond instinctively. He may be a very good person, and I have great sympathy for his current situation, but I don't think he is the right one for us at the moment. The damage appears to be worsening by the week.

As for requested task Billy, I'm sorry but I can't provide you with that information but at the moment things are sure looking, walking and quacking like a duck.

We may have been beaten by 95 points, but I agree with RM, the result doesn't reflect the effort of the players. We were competitive in each contest. We were beaten by class, bigger bodies, and greater experience. Remember Hawthorn are the premiership favourites. We fell down with our disposal into the forward fifty and our much maligned Neeld recruits, like Rodan and Dawes stood up big time. Kent, Terlich and Jones again showed up and have proven to be good draft picks by Neeld and Co. Even Pederson played well in the back half, and it looks like maybe he will stick down there, allowing Watts to play that lead up forward role he's a natural at.

I came away from watching that game and actually felt more positive about the clubs situation. I actually enjoyed watching the game, because I could appreciate the effort we were putting in, and the genuine class of the Hawthorn outfit who are just a bloody impressive football club.

If that level of effort can continue, and we can inject Clark, Grimes, McDonald, Sylvia, and even Viney back into the lineup, and I think we will be much better off, to the point where I believe we could beat St Kilda and the Bulldogs, and even Port on recent form. We are finally getting the effort that we were lacking at the start of the season and against GC. That is a positive step.

• Like 9

Off the field I hear all of the rumours, like most of us. I read the media reports, listen to the radio and watch the telly. Some of it is most certainly scuttlebutt but where there is is such a massive plume of smoke there has got to be a fire. I saw the shabby treatment of the senior players. I see the way mark Neeld speaks to people publicly. I don't like it and I respond instinctively. He may be a very good person, and I have great sympathy for his current situation, but I don't think he is the right one for us at the moment. The damage appears to be worsening by the week.

Which senior players are you referring to? The two that left via Free Agency - Moloney and Rivers? Brad Green, who actually made comments on the radio and in presser's that players need to get on board what was happening at the club?

If all the rumors about Moloney are correct, re his attitude and moping because of not getting the captaincy, do you think he would be a positive influence on the junior players?

Rivers is the only one I was disappointed about losing, but really, who wouldn't want to go and play at Geelong if they had the chance?

A lot of rumors have circulated about the shabby treatment of players, but now we have a player who is come from a successful premiership club in Dawes who is quite clearly saying that the problem lies with the players. Is it that Neeld treated the players poorly, or is it that the culture of the club was so bad, that senior players that could cruise along in the past could no longer do so, and they were unhappy because of it? That's what happens when professional standards are set. The unprofessional ones get found out.

Edited by pm24
  • Like 5

Yes Billy, I am speculating, but like everyone else here I'm not on the inside and can only observe from the point of view of a member and spectator. Like many on this site I spend way too much of my time contemplating the state of the club (and reading everyone else's opinions). I'm not an expert in management, I don't have much playing experience, I don't have corporate experience, so I don't have too much constructive advice about the admin structure of the club.

But I have been following the club for a long time through its darkest periods and can only observe and speculate. On the field I see confusion and lack of unified purpose and what appears to be a lack of heart with some players. I see players who seem not to know what their role is.

As for requested task Billy, I'm sorry but I can't provide you with that information but at the moment things are sure looking, walking and quacking like a duck.

"I see the way Mark Neeld speaks to people publicly"........do you mean the journalists he has to face up to every week, I would treat them with contempt as well, I have spoken to him at least half a dozen times and he has always listened and answered every question I have had truthfully.....could you please elaborate

.....the best 95 point loss you've ever seen? Are you fellas extracting the urine?

Ah whatever. I look forward with baited breath to a near record low QB crowd and yet another humiliating scoreline. Maybe this one will be the best 112 point loss you've ever seen.

Although you'd hope Neeld has at least a couple of tricks up his sleeve against his old mob. Here's hoping for the best 70 point loss you've ever seen.

I grudgingly agree with Ralphy.(gutsy call!)

I saw real effort from most to get around the contest although Watts never got within 2 meters of a struggle unless he was unlucky enough to not avoid it.

Good numbers around the ball but lack of concentration with disposal. Too many kicks laying the ball across the foot.

This may be explained with team goals (get it and kick it!) and im willing to see that. Its still sh!thouse but the playbook had a silver lining.

Any team with Jordie and Joel is very frustrating.

Edited by Franky_31

.....the best 95 point loss you've ever seen? Are you fellas extracting the urine?

Ah whatever. I look forward with baited breath to a near record low QB crowd and yet another humiliating scoreline. Maybe this one will be the best 112 point loss you've ever seen.

Although you'd hope Neeld has at least a couple of tricks up his sleeve against his old mob. Here's hoping for the best 70 point loss you've ever seen.

to many yesterdays pman and not enough tommorows

look forward and cane afterwards not beforehand it makes you look like a bad wishing karma poke

I'm sure it is not your intent, but it sure sounds like you are barracking for the club to have less income and another belting just to satisfy your craving for Neeld to be dismissed.

We are not saying that a 95 point loss is easy to take, but more commenting on the way the players went about it on Sunday.

We saw more effort and attack on the ball, and even taking the game on then was shown against Freo, GC, Essendon and Port which were clearly some of the worst games of the club this year. Those are the signs that we've all been wanting. They may still be struggling with disposal, and structuring up, but with so many core players out and so many inexperienced players in, that's to be expected.

I might be overly optimistic, but I reckon we won't get blown away by Collingwood. I'm not sure why, but I reckon our guys will lift an extra notch, and if Sylvia returns we'll just have that little bit more grunt than we've had recently. I seriously think we can keep it within 6 goals.