An insider's POV - Comments from Russell Robertson

deanox

Robinson would really know about dropping his head, a cheap shot at a B&F winner, if this is his new role at the MFC he should go back to singing for his supper.

Robinson ???? Who the hell is he ?? Hasn't played for Melbourne has he ?? I remember a Robertson.. ! You will remain a "rookie" Demon if you come up with more of this kind of crap.. Not surprised at the ONE Like you have so far... RR !!! :)

Edited by [email protected]
  • Like 2

Why is it that whenever someone from the club comes out and makes statement that is contrary to what the media is spinning that people side with the media and not the club personnel? Do people support the club or the media??

• Like 8

No doubting Robbos passion but he is not the sort of person I would have in front of the media.

He has history of making statements which with sensible consideration would be best not made.

A La Eddie McGuire ..... ??? Just saying :blink:

• Like 1

I was also at the meeting last night and had prior to the meeting come to the conclusion that Neeld should go in the shorter term. I now after listening to both Neeld and Craig believe that he should at least be given to the end of the season.

Both spoke honestly and both openly passionate about the Club and where it is and where it is going.

Nate is well grounded and definitely a "leader" but I don't believe he is Captain material and I am not sure he would want it anyway.

With regard to the appointing of the two Jacks, there were two rounds of surveying of players choice of captain, the second being after the Darwin expedition. Again the two Jacks could not be separated and were well in front of the next couple but also after Darwin there were six players who definitely stood above the rest. How could they not appoint them after going through that lengthy process otherwise why bother. FD Just appoint who they like. What would the players have felt then. Also how could they have known what crap would be thrown up over the last season and half. All very well to have hindsight.

As to how the players are dealing with the year, Nate did say that the players were absolutely blown away when the supporters all came down to training that Thursday morning. He said that that support meant so much to the players (I took from that that are devastated when they get booed).

Another comment that Nate made about how the team has played was that being such a young side in terms of games played, was about momentum change within a game. As an older player he could feel momentum change but the younger players don't sense that because they are concentrating on their own games and it was difficult during a game to get that message across. He said they have to be better at getting that through to the other players.

Last night was a fantastic step for the Club to take and I commend them for taking the initiative. I believe the Club has plans to take their message to the supporters more in the future.

We, like the players have to stop listening to the "noise" coming from the media. They are in a feeding frenzy when it comes to Melbourne. They are whipping up a perfect storm if we let them.

• Like 17

That hasn't stopped Moloney, Rivers and Morton speaking about a Coach of another Club, I love this, we get told on here the Club is too soft and then when a Club employee comes out swinging you want him censured.....no wonder those inside the Club shake their heads at times

Go Robbo !! A Very passionate Melbourne man... Wish we had more like him..

• Like 3

Why is it that whenever someone from the club comes out and makes statement that is contrary to what the media is spinning that people side with the media and not the club personnel? Do people support the club or the media??

Spot on pm24

The media keep making provocative reports based on speculation and report it as fact - shits me

Sounds like Peter Jackson is a leader this club wants to follow - Hope he takes the full time role as for the first time in a while I am confident in someone at the top

• Like 2

That hasn't stopped Moloney, Rivers and Morton speaking about a Coach of another Club, I love this, we get told on here the Club is too soft and then when a Club employee comes out swinging you want him censured.....no wonder those inside the Club shake their heads at times

Yeah, slagging players from other clubs in the media is exactly the kind of 'toughness' we are looking for...

And I hope those in the club don't shake their head about what is said by its supporters - we have had to put up with a great deal and I expect nothing more than a stiff upper lip and a promise to try and do better, with absolutely no recriminations about any 'crazies' and their views.

I will give you some advice as someone who has watched others become infuriated with you constant counter-attacking on behalf of anyone at the club.

Pick your battles.

This football club is hardly a football club at the moment and you defending the nonsense that constantly comes up is self-defeating. If you have some things that you see that are completely unfair then point them out, but having an issue with every negative comment made about the club makes you look foolish.

I have a small quibble, yet relevant, about an MFC employee saying things in public about players from other clubs. You should agree and let it go. Or just let it go.

• Like 1

I liked the article but it didn't really tell me anything new.

We all knew that Moloney cracked it and decided to put in zero effort, we all saw the games he played last year, a real leader wouldn't sulk and not give it their all regardless of their "title".

I've heard many times that Stef Martin had plenty of off field issues over the last few years, I don't know what they are nor do I care and moving him on was a good thing.

• Like 1

Yeah, slagging players from other clubs in the media is exactly the kind of 'toughness' we are looking for...

And I hope those in the club don't shake their head about what is said by its supporters - we have had to put up with a great deal and I expect nothing more than a stiff upper lip and a promise to try and do better, with absolutely no recriminations about any 'crazies' and their views.

I will give you some advice as someone who has watched others become infuriated with you constant counter-attacking on behalf of anyone at the club.

Pick your battles.

This football club is hardly a football club at the moment and you defending the nonsense that constantly comes up is self-defeating. If you have some things that you see that are completely unfair then point them out, but having an issue with every negative comment made about the club makes you look foolish.

I have a small quibble, yet relevant, about an MFC employee saying things in public about players from other clubs. You should agree and let it go. Or just let it go.

"Pick your battles"...is this a threat?

The shaking of the head is not literate, but the fact no matter what the Club does, in some supporters eyes it is never right

You are entitled to your opinion, so am I, I don't have to agree with it, or I am supposed to just be a good boy

I really don't care if I infuriate people, and I am not particularly interested in your advice either, this is a public forum, I put up with a lot of personal abuse and just wear it.......how about I post some of the 'interesting' pms I have received, you might get a better idea on some of the 'posters' I seem to have infuriated

I don't like the unfounded negativity, it only feeds the media, if there is a legtimate gripe, I'll agree with it.

You didn't seem to have a problem with ex players bagging your Club's coach or Club, Robbo was just reciprocating, there aren't two rules

I haven't put up with a great deal from the Club, I have just supported my footy club, thought that's what supporters did

I went to a forum last night, and as Longsuffering also stated we were told a lot of things, not media spin, it even persuaded Longsuffering to change her opinion, I was trying to get across what happened there

Edit - I keep reading it and adding

Edited by Satyriconhome
  • Like 2

Robbo was pretty balanced. The comparison I always use for players who left the club are Beamer and Riv. I am neither here nor there on Moloney. Maybe Neeld was harsh to him but he DID drop his head last year. Neeld dropped Riv from the leadership group as well but I will always give him kudos because he NEVER ONCE picked up his bat and ball and sulked it. He was loyal to the club till the end of his contract and then moved on.

Just a question for you on the Rivers thing. If the players voted on the leadership group and the captains and Rivers was identified because of the outcomes of that vote, is Neeld really the one who dropped Riv from the leadership group, or just the one that trusted in their process and acted based on the outcomes of that process?

You make it sound like it was solely Neeld that lead to Rivers being dropped from the leadership group, which from everything that has been said, would appear false.

However, I agree completely about how Rivers was fantastic last year despite losing his spot on the leadership team. Showed more on-field leadership than Moloney, that's for sure.

I was also at the meeting last night and had prior to the meeting come to the conclusion that Neeld should go in the shorter term. I now after listening to both Neeld and Craig believe that he should at least be given to the end of the season.

Both spoke honestly and both openly passionate about the Club and where it is and where it is going.

Nate is well grounded and definitely a "leader" but I don't believe he is Captain material and I am not sure he would want it anyway.

With regard to the appointing of the two Jacks, there were two rounds of surveying of players choice of captain, the second being after the Darwin expedition. Again the two Jacks could not be separated and were well in front of the next couple but also after Darwin there were six players who definitely stood above the rest. How could they not appoint them after going through that lengthy process otherwise why bother. FD Just appoint who they like. What would the players have felt then. Also how could they have known what crap would be thrown up over the last season and half. All very well to have hindsight.

As to how the players are dealing with the year, Nate did say that the players were absolutely blown away when the supporters all came down to training that Thursday morning. He said that that support meant so much to the players (I took from that that are devastated when they get booed).

Another comment that Nate made about how the team has played was that being such a young side in terms of games played, was about momentum change within a game. As an older player he could feel momentum change but the younger players don't sense that because they are concentrating on their own games and it was difficult during a game to get that message across. He said they have to be better at getting that through to the other players.

Last night was a fantastic step for the Club to take and I commend them for taking the initiative. I believe the Club has plans to take their message to the supporters more in the future.

We, like the players have to stop listening to the "noise" coming from the media. They are in a feeding frenzy when it comes to Melbourne. They are whipping up a perfect storm if we let them.

Thanks for your post long suffering - this all makes a lot of sense.

Yep.

Also worth noting that Jones wasn't near the footballer he is today when that decision was made.

You guys are delusional...Jones is only a good average player. tries hard but he is not A grade and never will be.... As for the Robbos article....Robbo is employed by the club..he needs to feed his family....so what else is he going to say??.... truly guys gets your heads out of the sand......Also I am very skeptical about the timing of this article....

• Like 1

You guys are delusional...Jones is only a good average player. tries hard but he is not A grade and never will be.... As for the Robbos article....Robbo is employed by the club..he needs to feed his family....so what else is he going to say??.... truly guys gets your heads out of the sand......Also I am very skeptical about the timing of this article....

I wondered how long it would take before someone took that line. Some of what he said seems irrelevant to bolstering his position within the MFC which gives the entire article some credibility in my naive view. Of course, that may just be a cunning ruse.

As for timing, when else would you expect it, regardless of the motivation?

I asked who would be the first to run this line, and thanks Kojak, you didn't let me down.

In that case, if you were to ever promote your own work or business should I then not trust you?

Remember that statements by Moloney and Morton are from disgruntled players and articles from the media are also to feed journalist's families too.

You have to take everything with a grain of salt.

Chook's statement about Jones was in regards to when the captaincy was chosen. Didn't say that he was an A grade mid, just said when the captaincy was chosen Jones wasn't at his good form as we see currently. Don't need to jump down people's throats with how Jones will never be A grade when you clearly missed Chook's point.

His comments regarding Moloney don't cone as a shock to all but there is still a large proportion of people who claim that Moloney was good in 2011 and in 2013 therefore 2012 is proof that Neeld is a bad coach. This article goes a long way to prove that irrespective of Neelds coaching skills, Moloney is a poor leader and probably someone harbouring poor culture.

Everyone wants us to have culture like Sydney, but I reckon Paul Roos would have had the same problems with the playing list.

Also rpfc and saty, this is one of the most productive and engaging threads on demonland at the moment, I think you both have a lot to offer, please help me keep it on track! I think saty is sick of being howled down in the fashion of "we need to sack Neeld and if you don't agree you're an idiot", and I can see why that is getting frustrating. Let's work together you discuss the problems find solutions and support the club with all seriously love. This is the time the club needs us to keep personality differences out of it.

• Like 6

Neeld & Craig may have both spoken well & truthfully last night

I hope they did. But without some visible improvement & some wins on the field it will be a hollow sell.

We have got to see something.

8 inside 50's in the first half last week is deplorable.

This is not written in a negative sense. It is the reality we are served up each week.

For Mark Neeld to keep his job, it is going to be a hard sell.

We cannot afford to lose our Queens Birthday Fixture.

• Like 1

I was also at the meeting last night and had prior to the meeting come to the conclusion that Neeld should go in the shorter term. I now after listening to both Neeld and Craig believe that he should at least be given to the end of the season.Both spoke honestly and both openly passionate about the Club and where it is and where it is going.Nate is well grounded and definitely a "leader" but I don't believe he is Captain material and I am not sure he would want it anyway.With regard to the appointing of the two Jacks, there were two rounds of surveying of players choice of captain, the second being after the Darwin expedition. Again the two Jacks could not be separated and were well in front of the next couple but also after Darwin there were six players who definitely stood above the rest. How could they not appoint them after going through that lengthy process otherwise why bother. FD Just appoint who they like. What would the players have felt then. Also how could they have known what crap would be thrown up over the last season and half. All very well to have hindsight.As to how the players are dealing with the year, Nate did say that the players were absolutely blown away when the supporters all came down to training that Thursday morning. He said that that support meant so much to the players (I took from that that are devastated when they get booed).Another comment that Nate made about how the team has played was that being such a young side in terms of games played, was about momentum change within a game. As an older player he could feel momentum change but the younger players don't sense that because they are concentrating on their own games and it was difficult during a game to get that message across. He said they have to be better at getting that through to the other players.Last night was a fantastic step for the Club to take and I commend them for taking the initiative. I believe the Club has plans to take their message to the supporters more in the future.We, like the players have to stop listening to the "noise" coming from the media. They are in a feeding frenzy when it comes to Melbourne. They are whipping up a perfect storm if we let them.

Excellent piece longsuffering. Hopefully the worm will turn against the media, and more people will reject the poisonous personal vitriol that they spew out daily. We need to stay thick with the club at the moment, and let the ignorant doomsday rubbish slide past.

At the moment I support

Don McLardy who is the President

Mark Neeld who is the coach

If I don't like something the Club does/has done, I will express my feelings by email/at the AGM/any chance I get face to face

I also ask questions, if I am not satisfied with the answers I am given, I take it further until I receive what I perceive to be a satisfactory answer

At the moment I am satisfied with the answers I have been given

If the Club changes President or Coach, if I am dissatisfied with that decision or don't like the reason givens, again I will do the above

• Like 2

Neeld & Craig may have both spoken well & truthfully last night

I hope they did. But without some visible improvement & some wins on the field it will be a hollow sell.

We have got to see something.

8 inside 50's in the first half is deplorable.

This is not written in a negative sense. It is the reality we are served up each week.

For Mark Neeld to keep his job, it is going to be a hard sell.

We cannot afford to lose our Queens Birthday Fixture.

The spoke truthfully, there is no hope in it, they are not happy with it either and they are single minded in their approach to fix the problems, but it ain't gonna happen overnight, it is not about win or loss, it is about building something lasting, when it is built PROPERLY..it will show in the wins and losses........this is the frustrating part for me, this is what the supporters have been asking for, a complete change................ but it doesn't happen overnight, Neeld in reality has only had this season with anything near the playing list he wants, and after speaking to him last night, it's still not quite there

• Like 2

Also rpfc and saty, this is one of the most productive and engaging threads on demonland at the moment, I think you both have a lot to offer, please help me keep it on track! I think saty is sick of being howled down in the fashion of "we need to sack Neeld and if you don't agree you're an [censored]", and I can see why that is getting frustrating. Let's work together you discuss the problems find solutions and support the club with all seriously love. This is the time the club needs us to keep personality differences out of it.

Let me endorse those comments. This is the best thread started all week so keep it coming if there's more to give.

• Like 1

Ok so firstly, good on Robbo for flying the flag for the club. At times like these someone has to bite back, even if it does seem a little contrite.

I still have a soft spot for Beamer, but I saw his departure as someone who couldn't handle the changes and didn't like the idea of a new coach coming in and not saying he was a gun despite his B&F.

Neeld said from the start it was clean slates for everyone, the past was the past both good and bad. Perhaps Neeld could've handled it better, but personally it sounded like Moloney didn't like the challenge of earning his leadership again. Because of that he sulked a bit and immediately put them at odds.

I've said this before, I don't disagree with 90% of the departures including Moloney. I'm just concerned the ones that have stuck around and apparently "bought in" aren't showing improvement.

• Like 1

I've said this before, I don't disagree with 90% of the departures including Moloney. I'm just concerned the ones that have stuck around and apparently "bought in" aren't showing improvement.

Really well put and I agree. It's not the players who have come or gone that bothers me. If Neeld had too much say then that's a fault of not having a strong head of football and a strong list manager.

But I agree 110% that if the leadership group we have can't perform and get a side at least better than 'worst ever' status what does it say about Neeld's coaching. That said Jones is performing. Grimes and Clark are injured. Garland and Frawley are some what having a go. Dawes was injured but went pretty well against Richmond and gave us a little tease of something in his other games. Byrnes started pretty well. So in terms of ability the leadership group are at least having a go.

• Like 1