Is communication mark neeld's biggest weakness?

I understand that the coach has to sell hope but how would we all feel if at the start of the season neeld had been brutally honest.

if he said he'd walked in and found a club that was at joke level and nothing less than a total rebuild from scratch and at least two years of pain was required.

would people have more respect for him?

I guess it still doesn't explain effort...

Probably.

I just don't know where we are at. Nothing the players do seems to be constructive. Maybe after the Carlton game he was happy because we did some defensive work but we practically played without a forward line.

The closest to playing his style of game plan was in his first NAB cup against Collingwood at Etihad.

Since then we've just been all over the place and so has his message.

He's completely lost me and I think he's lost the players as well. They just can't get it right. Dawes in the paper this week said that their GPS numbers were above average in the league. Which confirms something our players are running around like headless chooks. Whilst Geelong are starting to re invent the game again by instead of all diving in after the footy they are letting teams unbalance themselves with over attack at the contests and keeping their space.

Simple really when every one says oh look AFL is become a game like rugby where everyone just keeps pilling in like a big scrum. And here comes Chris Scott and he's committed only a few men to the breakdown and has everyone else lining up in defense ready to win the ball back and run off with it.

You'd think Neeld would realise that even if you can't win games because players haven't grasped his silly structures that you'd strip it back and at least nail some fundamentals and get tackling, chasing, manning the mark, basic handballing to space and kicking right.

Neeld has no idea, complained about the lack of tackles., problem is the team is too slow, couldn't catch a cold, be lucky to tackle a turtle..

• Like 2

I understand that the coach has to sell hope but how would we all feel if at the start of the season neeld had been brutally honest.if he said he'd walked in and found a club that was at joke level and nothing less than a total rebuild from scratch and at least two years of pain was required.would people have more respect for him?I guess it still doesn't explain effort...

He pretty much said words to these effect when he came in. It's after 18 months in making the club his that he isn't willing to be honest, isn't willing to fault HIS own work.

• Like 1

Neeld's biggest weakness is the supporters who want him sacked every five minutes

The MFC's biggest weakness is supporters who encourage mediocrity

• Like 3

If what Barret said is true then Neeld's biggest weakness is his lack of perception and dealing with reality.

If he expects to be there to see out his 5 year plan he is delusional. If his original plan was to take us to the disgustingly low level he has overseen, why not tell us so? All we have heard about fitness levels, performance etc have been HIS OPINION and I have no respect for his opinion any more.

"Didn't see it coming" and "It is what it is" show he is a one trick pony with 1 plan and when it isn't working he has no plan B. He cannot even admit he maybe wrong. Another Barret quote "I will not changer anything I am doing" Arrogant pigheaded and WRONG.

No self respecting Football department would accept a rebuild that took a club to the depths of despair. I dare him to back up "This is what I expected" with what he presented to the board and if they accepted this why FFS did they think it OK to disenchant every single supporter and sponsor and the AFL.

As I repeatedly say the Swans and Kangas declared in the market place they can never bottom out as they don't think they will survive and I fear we won't without the AFL coming to our rescue!!!

• Like 6

Apparently Mark Neeld has a chat with Damian Barrett off the camera,

he told Damian Barrett he will be shocked if he get fired after this season.

So obviously Club assured him his job is safe.

heres the link, the video is AFL news update http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/afl/footyshow/video

That being the case and let say Neeld sees out this season and is still here at the start of next season. Let's also say that things don't improve a whole heap. What membership numbers would you expect to see next season?

If what Barret said is true then Neeld's biggest weakness is his lack of perception and dealing with reality.

If he expects to be there to see out his 5 year plan he is delusional. If his original plan was to take us to the disgustingly low level he has overseen, why not tell us so? All we have heard about fitness levels, performance etc have been HIS OPINION and I have no respect for his opinion any more.

"Didn't see it coming" and "It is what it is" show he is a one trick pony with 1 plan and when it isn't working he has no plan B. He cannot even admit he maybe wrong. Another Barret quote "I will not changer anything I am doing" Arrogant pigheaded and WRONG.

No self respecting Football department would accept a rebuild that took a club to the depths of despair. I dare him to back up "This is what I expected" with what he presented to the board and if they accepted this why FFS did they think it OK to disenchant every single supporter and sponsor and the AFL.

As I repeatedly say the Swans and Kangas declared in the market place they can never bottom out as they don't think they will survive and I fear we won't without the AFL coming to our rescue!!!

At the moment there just seem to be a lot of "ifs" flying around, so I will add one more... I am sure that in the fullness of time Peter Jackson will be made aware of the status of the various relationships between the board, FD and playing group, so IF all of these reports from the likes of Barrett and Wilson etc are true and IF the thoughts of a number of posters on Demonland are proven to be true (re Neeld having lost the playing group), then I have no doubt he will act accordingly. After all, he has no ties or history with any of these people or departments and so he can pretty much act with impunity in much the same way Neeld was able to do when he arrived at the club. In the meantime, let them all do what they are there to do and let's hope that the playing group can at least respond to their darkest hour against the Suns, by putting in a gut busting effort this week.

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 1

not really if the board gave him these parameters to work in then we must ask the board WHY

the 3 year fitness program is a must do and every other club has agreed we needed that done

he has tried different game plans, against brizzy they tried corridor and butchered the pill

against gcs they tried it in the 1st and got creamed so switched to outside play, this is a good sign that he can adjust the gameplan

no excuse , club teamate or wanting out can justify not chasing and tackling, thats why he said this is about the players. correct

protecting young players in ressies , we dont want another jw episode, this must have been a board parameter. not his

im not sure what we should do at the moment, but shooting the messenger is not fair.

ask the board your QUESTIONS

There has to be communication breakdowns.

The fact that Mark is a qualified teacher is the biggest worry to me.

He should be ready for this. Everybody takes in nformation differently.

This has gone on too long for my liking.

It's not working. It must be changed..soon.

• Like 2

There has to be communication breakdowns.

The fact that Mark is a qualified teacher is the biggest worry to me.

He should be ready for this. Everybody takes in nformation differently.

This has gone on too long for my liking.

It's not working. It must be changed..soon.

couldnt agree more about the school teacher bit

they didnt impress me 40 years ago

and still dont impress me today

now that could garner some interesting posts

couldnt agree more about the school teacher bit

they didnt impress me 40 years ago

and still dont impress me today

now that could garner some interesting posts

i just remember back to my teachers. You either respected and listened to them or you completely shut off.

It was rare when that dynamic changed unless the lost teacher sought me out 1 on 1 and talked.

Sometimes it worked and i changed.

But a teacher who held little respect taught me very little.

i just remember back to my teachers. You either respected and listened to them or you completely shut off.

It was rare when that dynamic changed unless the lost teacher sought me out 1 on 1 and talked.

The teacher "teaches"......If the pupil does not want to learn...it's his problem....He is the one who must pass the exams.....You don't have to respect them....you just have to learn from them....
  • Like 1

If Barrett is correct and Neeld really said he would not change anything he has done and that we are on the right path....wow.

Of course I wouldn't expect Neeld to come out and go on and on about every mistake and every problem.

But there'd be nothing wrong IMO with saying 'yep, we have made a few mistakes along the way, all coaches do, but we are learning from them and the players are learning and we feel we've made progress in other areas'.

Coaches are human and will make mistakes and I recall one of the Scott brothers admitting they coached poorly in a game and made errors. There's nothing wrong with that.

Now if Neeld is just too worried about saying he has made mistakes given his current predicament then I question his perception and his understanding of his audience – no one in their right mind would feel that he has done everything right.

But if he actually believes what he says and that he really would not change anything he's done...that would be one of the most unbelievable things I've heard.

Barrett also reported that Neeld said he had done everything asked of him by the board.

Assuming the board said to him 'we want you to take our team so far backwards that the Gold Coast Suns make absolute mugs of them on the MCG', then I would have to agree with him that he has successfully achieved this.

• Like 1

If Barrett is correct and Neeld really said he would not change anything he has done and that we are on the right path....wow.

Of course I wouldn't expect Neeld to come out and go on and on about every mistake and every problem.

But there'd be nothing wrong IMO with saying 'yep, we have made a few mistakes along the way, all coaches do, but we are learning from them and the players are learning and we feel we've made progress in other areas'.

Coaches are human and will make mistakes and I recall one of the Scott brothers admitting they coached poorly in a game and made errors. There's nothing wrong with that.

Now if Neeld is just too worried about saying he has made mistakes given his current predicament then I question his perception and his understanding of his audience – no one in their right mind would feel that he has done everything right.

But if he actually believes what he says and that he really would not change anything he's done...that would be one of the most unbelievable things I've heard.

Barrett also reported that Neeld said he had done everything asked of him by the board.

Assuming the board said to him 'we want you to take our team so far backwards that the Gold Coast Suns make absolute mugs of them on the MCG', then I would have to agree with him that he has successfully achieved this.

Whilst I agree with most of your post........I would have thought that Neeld told the board that the fitness and culture of this footy club was so behind the standard of other AFL clubs it would take 3 to 4 years to correct this.

I know we all want to be finalists NOW....but unfortunately it takes TIME.....Change always does

We are talking about the WHOLE fabric of this club changing ....I believe that this has started

• Like 1

I think that says more about you than the teachers

so glad ive never picked an argument with you as yet

interesting kevin sheedy once told everybody his horse would win a race, it didnt. should he be sacked

malthouse said we aim to win the flag, should he be sacked

Edited by jazza

The only mistake Neeld has made is not taking into account the mindset of some of the players when we get a couple of goals behind, he tells them constantly to take the game on, they are encouraged to do it, that is why the newer ones who are not carrying the last five or six years baggage are amongst the best players each week.

Listen to Robbie Flower on the Robbo Show he explains it so much more eloquently than I do

yes it does. It's what happened in my experience.

I did quite well at school.

Some teachers teach better than others.

You should already know that if you went through the Army. Drill Seargent's are rather volitile creatures.

That being the case and let say Neeld sees out this season and is still here at the start of next season. Let's also say that things don't improve a whole heap. What membership numbers would you expect to see next season?

10 000