Port Melbourne v Casey

Davis is still only 20 years old. Is it just possible that we are taking a different course and trying to develop young players much better than in recent years?

Don't know but they obviously have seen enough to keep him on the list. As a few have noted above he has a lot of positive attributes, lets hope he makes it.

Anyone have any thoughts on Stark or Clisby. It looks like Clisby has good size for his age. I have always seen rookies as the offcuts or looking for a needle in a haystack. I never really give much thought to rookies, so any thoughts? I know Stark was taken pretty high in the rookie draft. Anyone think these guys have a good shot at making our 22 in the future?

It would be intresting to know the percentage of rookies that end up playing 50-100 AFL games.

good thoughts but too soon to elaborate on.

let them grow in the shadow of the bigger names.

Disagree with Davis. There were a few (myself included) last year who questioned his retainment on the senior list but most were willing to keep him. He's put runs of decent VFL form together before and got close to games as an emergency. Last year was his second year so the equivalent players are Tynan and Taggert. Taggert is building VFL form and not getting negative press on here. Tynan is a bit off seemingly struggle to adjust his game with increased size he put on and he's copping plenty of heat. The problem with Davis is he has positive attributes but they aren't ones that coincide with being in the AFL team due to his negative attributes.

Positive - Finds the footy - when played up the ground at Casey he can regularly get 20+ touches

- Runs with the ball

- Strong

Negatives - Kicking

- Defensive work still needs improving

- Don't think the fitness is there, remember he had a thyroid condition at one stage

We play him now and he looks like Gillies and gets belted. We fix his kicking we have a player. We continue to build his defending as his body improves and gets stronger and fitter and we have a player. I'd say really he just needs to show he's a better prospect than Gillies and he's on the list for next year and heading towards being able to compete at AFL level.

Agree.

• Like 2

Disagree with Davis. There were a few (myself included) last year who questioned his retainment on the senior list but most were willing to keep him. He's put runs of decent VFL form together before and got close to games as an emergency. Last year was his second year so the equivalent players are Tynan and Taggert. Taggert is building VFL form and not getting negative press on here. Tynan is a bit off seemingly struggle to adjust his game with increased size he put on and he's copping plenty of heat. The problem with Davis is he has positive attributes but they aren't ones that coincide with being in the AFL team due to his negative attributes.

Positive - Finds the footy - when played up the ground at Casey he can regularly get 20+ touches

- Runs with the ball

- Strong

Negatives - Kicking

- Defensive work still needs improving

- Don't think the fitness is there, remember he had a thyroid condition at one stage

We play him now and he looks like Gillies and gets belted. We fix his kicking we have a player. We continue to build his defending as his body improves and gets stronger and fitter and we have a player. I'd say really he just needs to show he's a better prospect than Gillies and he's on the list for next year and heading towards being able to compete at AFL level.

Pretty right on most of this 'master' but he should be compared with Cook, Howe and McDonald, this is the draft he was picked up in. Tynan and Taggert are a year behind.

Don't know but they obviously have seen enough to keep him on the list. As a few have noted above he has a lot of positive attributes, lets hope he makes it.

"They"?

Of course he should be still on the list !

he was off last year for some reason so he has lost at least last year as development.

He has great basics to build from, with big upside If we can get his talents to fruition. he has to continue to mature & really embrace learning & growing his game.

I hope he does, cause he's got some toughness & hardness.

"How tall is Hale?"

Not quite as tall as he was since he's stopped wearing the rug. Guerra's still got his firmly attached, maybe Hale's was a 'cheapie'.

Reckon he played his best footy too in the 'piece.

• Like 2

"They"?

Of course he should be still on the list !

he was off last year for some reason so he has lost at least last year as development.

He has great basics to build from, with big upside If we can get his talents to fruition. he has to continue to mature & really embrace learning & growing his game.

I hope he does, cause he's got some toughness & hardness.

He was on the list last year.

Narrow 3 point win to the Development Squad.

2013 AFL Victoria Development League

Casey Scorpions 1.5.11 6.7.43 9.10.64 12.14.86

Port Melbourne 2.5.17 4.7.31 7.12.54 11.17.83

Goals

Casey Scorpions Hughes 7 Barry Long Pollard Smith Troutman

Port Melbourne Whelan 3 Johnston 2 Allan Hammond Johns Mascitti Muling O'Sullivan

Best

Casey Scorpions Petropoulos Hughes Lindsay Corrigan Troutman Fowler

Port Melbourne Muling Smith Whelan Johnston Rounds Mascitti

• Like 1

Anyone have any thoughts on Stark or Clisby. It looks like Clisby has good size for his age. I have always seen rookies as the offcuts or looking for a needle in a haystack. I never really give much thought to rookies, so any thoughts? I know Stark was taken pretty high in the rookie draft. Anyone think these guys have a good shot at making our 22 in the future?

It would be intresting to know the percentage of rookies that end up playing 50-100 AFL games.

My Thoughts on Clisby....well best you have a listen.....

http://www.thevoice.com.au/video.html#/videos/Week_1/TheVoice_AU_s02_Ep3_clip1302_1636

Edited by Rusty Nails

Narrow 3 point win to the Development Squad.

2013 AFL Victoria Development League

Casey Scorpions 1.5.11 6.7.43 9.10.64 12.14.86

Port Melbourne 2.5.17 4.7.31 7.12.54 11.17.83

Casey Scorpions Hughes 7 Barry Long Pollard Smith Troutman

Port Melbourne Whelan 3 Johnston 2 Allan Hammond Johns Mascitti Muling O'Sullivan

Best

Casey Scorpions Petropoulos Hughes Lindsay Corrigan Troutman Fowler

Port Melbourne Muling Smith Whelan Johnston Rounds Mascitti

hughes 7 till half time ? is that right ?

Barn Dee, we only kicked 6 by half time. If he managed to kick 7 of those 6 he's not just a player, he's a mathematical anomaly.

• Like 5

Yes you did KC, giants by 21 at half time

everyone's expecting the bombers to overrun them in the last quarter like we did.

but if they don't it would be absolutely massive!

Not much to write home about based on the first half.

Fitzpatrick and Dawes are solid marks up front, Sellar and Davis good down back, but the latter is a shockingly poor kick. Clisby okay running off half back.

Blease is too quick for VFL players but has no right side, and Davey is too good for this level.

Big concern is Toumpas. Has no intensity whatsoever. Big bum and short stocky legs, and certainly doesn't have much pace from what I've seen today.