Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jimmy Toumpas

Philthy

Have you taken a look at yourself when you run. Or perhaps have you ever broken out of a walk.

Geez you people are precious. It wasn't even an insult, his run looks like a waddle, just like Dane Swan shuffles when he runs.

So GFY hero.

I felt sick for him when he was tackled in the back pocket today, receiving a handball from the admittedly passable Grimes, but without the hint of a shepard offered by his captain.

Goodness me, I'm not sure what on earth you were watching. Toumpas should clearly have laid a shepherd for his captain, allowing him to run on and use the ball. I guarantee that's how it will be viewed when he is shown the tape during the review next week.

• Like 2

Goodness me, I'm not sure what on earth you were watching. Toumpas should clearly have laid a shepherd for his captain, allowing him to run on and use the ball. I guarantee that's how it will be viewed when he is shown the tape during the review next week.

Perhaps, but as soon as Grimes handballed that off, he should have been looking to shepard. He had time and space too, but he didn't. Despite a number of skill errors and poor decisions, Grimes was good today, but he put Toumpas, a man playing practically his first game, under pressure.

• Like 1

Not being AFL ready is baloney - he played, and played well, against seasoned bodies at SANFL level.

Admittedly it's not of a standard comparable with VFL or even close to AFL, but it's not far off.

Simply, he looks bereft of confidence, confused, and slow.

He's not alone out there, but the signs are not promising.

He looks bereft of confidence and confused.

Hmmm, I wonder why. Maybe because the step up from SANFL to AFL is big?

You're wrong, Andrew. As we've seen repeatedly, not every player can just walk up from SANFL/VFL/WAFL into the AFL and play well from their first game. As you've noted, Toumpas is displaying the signs of a player who just isn't ready to be playing AFL.

To say 'the signs are not promising' after three games indicates you have no patience.

• Like 3

He will be a gun. But i think that playing him now will do more damage than good - give him some time and confidence in the seconds.

I dont think theres nothing wrong in exposing him to senior footy. He will learn what is required then will go back to the VFL and can work on his development and the areas he needs to improve.

My son and I just observed Jimmy in the last quarter and he was so confused and out of his depth it was not funny. I am not giving up on the guy. Just that it is so effing clear he needs time in the twos. Can't the coaches see it is so obvious?

The club said Viney and toumpas would spend time in the VFL. I reckon Jimmy will be there next week. Id like to see Kent have a crack.

• Like 1

is he going to be better then Wines just like how Watts was going to be better then Naitanui, Tom Scully was going to be better then Dustin Martin and Morton better then Dangerfield and rich?

Edited by dazzledavey36

i'm not giving up on the guy either.

but, like viney and wines, we were promised someone who was 'afl-ready'. he's clearly not.

Who said he was 'AFL-ready'?

is he going to be better then Wines just like how Watts was going to be better then Naitanui, Tom Scully was going to be better then Dustin Martin and Morton better then Dangerfield and rich?

Sigh.

At the time, was it fair to take Scully at 1? Yes.

At the time, was it fair to take Morton at 4? Yes.

At the time, was it fair to take Watts at 1? Yes.

At the time, was it fair to take Toumpas at 4? Yes.

Stop blaming the drafting and start blaming the coaching/development/culture/lack of leadership.

• Like 2

You don't ask a first year apprentice to build a house for you.

Look at the high picks from suns and gws... Only a very few were "ready" and that was after a year playing together and being within the AFL system.

Jimmy will be a jet but let's not expect him carry the club on his shoulders....

Toumpas out Kent in or play both vs gws and then Toumpas to casey for a month or two.

• Like 2

Toumpas out Kent in or play both vs gws and then Toumpas to casey for a month or two.

I don't mind this approach. Play him next week. Explain that he's been given a month in the AFL to see what it's like & now he's getting a month in the VFL to work on the gaps that he & the coaches see in his game to bring him up to AFL. He's got a lot to learn

I don't recall anyone describing him as AFL ready

I don't mind this approach. Play him next week. Explain that he's been given a month in the AFL to see what it's like & now he's getting a month in the VFL to work on the gaps that he & the coaches see in his game to bring him up to AFL. He's got a lot to learn

I don't recall anyone describing him as AFL ready

I'm not disappointed we took Toumpas, although my preference was Wines for reasons stated in other threads. Toumpas is potentially a very good AFL player. Bear in mind he hasn't played since the U 18 National Champs last year, after which he had his hips operated on. A stint at Casey will do him no harm.

Well I called it early on. He did nothing to earn a spot for round 1 with his form in the NAB. I said he should start at Casey and earn his spot with good form. He is getting a game because he is the #4 pick. Really pisses me off, dont we learn anything from history. Watts Queens Birthday 2010. He is cleary not ready.

• Like 1

They played him too early, his NAB form did not warrant a game. Kent was a more obvious selection and would have come in with some runs on the board. Just noticed your post above 'ash' as I'm writing this and I think you are on the money about #4.

Jimmy will be ok, but imagine coming into this team and with no runs on the board.

• Like 2

I hope Jack Grimes buys this kid lunch tomorrow... he owes it to him after making him look like a complete moron, passing it to him in the 4th while he had someone almost inside him. It was biologically impossible! And ended in a free :-( Poor Jimmy... its hard to learn when everyone else is only a few steps above you.

• Like 2

There are plenty of players out there who haven't reached their full potential yet. David Swallow was the number 1 pick a few years ago and he hasn't come close to reaching his full potential. Give Dimitri some time and patience and he'll be a ripper.

Who said he was 'AFL-ready'?

Sigh.

At the time, was it fair to take Scully at 1? Yes.

At the time, was it fair to take Morton at 4? Yes.

At the time, was it fair to take Watts at 1? Yes.

At the time, was it fair to take Toumpas at 4? Yes.

Stop blaming the drafting and start blaming the coaching/development/culture/lack of leadership.

Each to their own, I think it's more recruiting.

Watts is an athlete who lacks intensity, he is very skilled - but soft and doesn't want to it enough.

Morton is the soft receiver who never really shown much, he was a good junior, because he was soft and it allows that.

Scully was an elite runner as a junior and through sheer will and determination, racked up possies and dominated.

I would not write Tom Scully off, that is something I would not do.. He has more determination than half out list put together

Toumpas is a receiver, he's never really had to do the hard things and unfortunately he has came to a club that doesn't do hard things either.

I've said it before, Toumpas is the cream to a good side, but completely useless for ours, the recruiters should've definitely taken Ollie.

Will prove a massive blunder, lets just hope Ollie wants to come home and we can do a swap at years end.... Wishful thinking.

Some pretty premature calls going on in here.

The kid is out of his depth at the moment, no need to put him in the mistake basket just yet.

Morton started out getting a million touches, unlike Morton Jimmy hasn't missed a target in the few kicks he's had.

Scully and Trengove started off like a house on fire, where are these blokes at now? (Scully yesterday omg lolz$)

Jimmy looks slow, from all reports he is not, probably just overwhelmed running around is this rabble. Give him some time.

As for a first year apprentice not building you a house, Viney has half built a mansion already.

• Like 2

Neeld said in his presser said Toumpas looked like he needed a breather. There was nothing wrong with giving the kid a look in early. There would be something wrong to keep playing him. He has had a taster now let him go and work on his game and confidence.

Anyone that saw him play the champs knows he is quality but he needs time to adjust to the pace and intensity. As for Wines over him FMD. Whitfield had 12 touches and Plowman 5 GWS must be really spewing they didn't take Wines at pick 1.

• Like 1

Neeld said in his presser said Toumpas looked like he needed a breather. There was nothing wrong with giving the kid a look in early. There would be something wrong to keep playing him. He has had a taster now let him go and work on his game and confidence.

Anyone that saw him play the champs knows he is quality but he needs time to adjust to the pace and intensity. As for Wines over him FMD. Whitfield had 12 touches and Plowman 5 GWS must be really spewing they didn't take Wines at pick 1.

Time could show Wines to be the Joel Selwood of his draft though. Maybe GWS will wish they took him.

The thing with Wines is he has it. You see it, just like you see it in Viney.. Size, strength, hardness, he's a footballer and always will be. With Toumpas it's wait and see. So you can understand why Dees supporters are worried with our track record.