Jack Watts Thread

I still think he will be an important player for us, as he rarely wastes a disposal.

Just needs to get his angry face on.

Has to be a bit more desperate in his chasing and tackling.

Sad thing, I really don't think he has one. And in AFL purely nice guys, who have NO mongrel at all, sink.

* Urgency

* Intensity

* Will for a contest

* Second/third efforts

* Tackling

* Physicality

* "Elite Compliance"

Jack Watts - after 5 years in the system, he is a way off from the above aspects that are a necessity for AFL standard. Jack's performance yesterday was lacking in these departments.

It was embarrassing and it cost the team on the score board as a direct result.

I'd be actually hesitant in playing him at Casey in the same forward line with Jesse. Because I wouldn't want any shirking evident near Jesse.

On second thoughts, Jesse wouldn't alter his game in any way which is a hard physical approach to every contest, or contested mark situation, so if any of this rubs off on Watts, it will be a bonus.

Some of the stand-off-ball watching-one handed broken tackles-jogging around observing teammates put in, were just cringeworthy in the extreme.

I've seen better efforts from him in the past, and I've got to question his desire, work ethic, application, dedication and concentration. Because it waivers. I've seen him at training and observed him. I have questions about his committment to training hard. He's a laid back lad.

If he makes an error and the ball is still in dispute, his competitive edge is found wanting, repeat efforts are rare or simply insipid.

I counted quite a few non negotiables that were breached yesterday, if this "elite compliance" that the FD have been setting is anything to go by, J.Watts shouldn't be boarding the flight for the Gabba this week IMO.

I'd send him on a plane flight to Arizona, alone, to work his zarseoff.

or pack him off on a Kokoda trek...

if he goes back to Casey I'd play him as a Key defender... no 3rd string defender. make him responsible, & if he doesn't work hard enough, his teammates will soon let him know.

I'd send him on a plane flight to Arizona, alone, to work his zarseoff.

or pack him off on a Kokoda trek...

if he goes back to Casey I'd play him as a Key defender... no 3rd string defender. make him responsible, & if he doesn't work hard enough, his teammates will soon let him know.

I have no doubt he would shine at both Dee-luded.

Watch him at training he does everything right.

IMO he is in the top 5 players skills wise.

From there on I don't know.

At the minute, he's a tall Jamie Bennell.

Was sad to see him outside every pack yesterday, hovering around like a seagull.

I don't know what it's going to take but if I was in a professional footy club for five years I'd be ready for physical contact.

I just don't get it.

seagulls actually go in & fight for their chips, & if they drop it, they're back in there again.

jw just seems to spectate & lets the others do all the work.

he does not share the load. moloney was like a lollipop man with his sleeves rolled up,,, getting in. jw is more like a Football voyer... he would make a good TV commentator.

Just let him play on the HFF, wing and make him accountable.

When the opposition has a press, he has to get involved and make sure he gets defensive.

Btw, in the 2nd quarter, there was a loose ball with a GWS player coming one way, and JW coming the other way....he didn't shirk it. He got hurt, but got up and dusted himself off.

Happened right in front of me.

Edited by jumbo returns
  • Like 5

At the minute, he's a tall Jamie Bennell.

Was sad to see him outside every pack yesterday, hovering around like a seagull.

I don't know what it's going to take but if I was in a professional footy club for five years I'd be ready for physical contact.

I just don't get it.

Whoa he is way way better than that.

yesterday he had 9 kicks and 10 handballs

Bennell never had had that many in any game he played.

I have no doubt he would shine at both Dee-luded.

Watch him at training he does everything right.

IMO he is in the top 5 players skills wise.

From there on I don't know.

thats watt I'm saying, give him the Key Defender role at Casey for weeks. If he causes the team to lose by being slack, the players themselves will straighten him out.

Eeeffort & Urgency, should be his mantra.

yesterday in the first Qtr, he had the ball on the half backline & run & carried, he was chased hard towards the Ctr-Wing boundary, on his left foot he kicked a shocker @ 3/4 pace...

for a skilled & balanced sporting individual, his not developing well.

I witnessed him kick many poorly directed kicks that lacked the vision to kick to a teammates advantage. they all went to a contest, where they were turned into hard ball contests.

... they did not go to our teams advantage.

this tells me he doesn't train at full tilt, & doesn't want to go at full tilt in the games.... this is the Exact game model that Green, Yze, Bruce, etc all played like & he is copying their lead.

.. he must be shaken out of this, or it will be another wasted talent. He desperately needs tough love, very tough love... if he wants to make it as a footy player.

Edited by dee-luded
  • Like 1

Whoa he is way way better than that.

yesterday he had 9 kicks and 10 handballs

Bennell never had had that many in any game he played.

haha YES! you can lure old dee to post whenever Bennell's name is mentioned!

Just watched the replay and he was nowhere near as bad as everyone is saying

Actually took 2 strong contested marks to save us a couple of times, and his ball use was smart and clean.

I guess the frustration is that if he was more urgent he could be BOG every week

• Like 2

When the opposition has a press, he has to get involved and make sure he gets defensive.

Btw, in the 2nd quarter, there was a loose ball with a GWS player coming one way, and JW coming the other way....he didn't shirk it. He got hurt, but got up and dusted himself off.

thats giving in Jumbo, & that is how our onfield culture became soft in the first place...

no passengers in our sides going forward.

# make him competitive, & he might, take us places?

if not, we move onward.

I hated watching him yesterday. He did create some good clearances from defence and several times used the ball well, but gee, he loafed outside the packs so often as well.

And when he had the chance to really line up one of the oppo he half stuffed that as well.

But he was good late last year and he was good at times yesterday. He is not so much timid as tentative right now. Needs confidence desperately.

The Carey-mentor idea I like but even if that does not happen Neeld must persist with him because he has enormous potential.

How about the wing? With Hogan, Dawes, Mitch and Pedo as a stand in from next year, he is not needed as a key forward as planned, but his ability to use the ball and direct it to strong marking targets could be his go.

• Like 3

We must have been sitting in the same area. I don't think he shirked the contest but he made a poor choice. He took his eyes off the ball and went at the opponent to bump him. He should have attacked the ball and taken the hit with the ball in his possession. This would have provided a better outcome for the team. More chance of getting the free and less chance of the ball being taken away from the contest. JW's not going to hurt anybody with a bump, at least not with the lack of ferocity he showed in this instance, but could have hurt the opposition with a clean disposal or a resultant free kick.

• Like 4

And when he had the chance to really line up one of the oppo he half stuffed that as well.

My problem with that contest was no so much his half-arsed bump as it was his failure to go for the ball, which was there for the taking.

ED: Beat me to it Crawf52 ^^

Edited by Grapeviney

We must have been sitting in the same area. I don't think he shirked the contest but he made a poor choice. He took his eyes off the ball and went at the opponent to bump him. He should have attacked the ball and taken the hit with the ball in his possession. This would have provided a better outcome for the team. More chance of getting the free and less chance of the ball being taken away from the contest. JW's not going to hurt anybody with a bump, at least not with the lack of ferocity he showed in this instance, but could have hurt the opposition with a clean disposal or a resultant free kick.

Yes, but he went.....and having said that, it's the first time I've seen him do that.

He took the hit.

It's an amazing thing, it appears that supporters on this site have to find someone to bag, and Watts is the target. I wonder if any were at the game, and if the experts on this page have ever played competitive football. The role they have given Watts is to be a loose man in defence, this is the game plan. What is happening is teams are tagging him, so the role is not working. While I agree that he did not have one of his best games, he did win contested footy and his kicking efficiency is great. He is down on confidence at the moment, but he is not on his own there, many players are down.

They had a win today, and that will help regain confidence and hopefully things can continue to progress. But all this is meaningless, because most people that post here will always look for negatives. One thing for certain, if Watts does go at the end of this year and becomes a success elsewhere, the same people bagging him now, will turn on the recruiters for clearing him. Remember Maloney, Martin and Petterd.

• Like 1

It's an amazing thing, it appears that supporters on this site have to find someone to bag, and Watts is the target. I wonder if any were at the game, and if the experts on this page have ever played competitive football. The role they have given Watts is to be a loose man in defence, this is the game plan. What is happening is teams are tagging him, so the role is not working. While I agree that he did not have one of his best games, he did win contested footy and his kicking efficiency is great. He is down on confidence at the moment, but he is not on his own there, many players are down.

I think you'll find that like me, many were at the game. But even if some weren't, like those interstate or in the country they would have watched it.

You don't need to have confidence to make 2nd and 3rd efforts, or tackle well. Even when we had momentum and the ball was in dispute close by, he watched on, upright as if he were Tom Waterhouse observing the game in one of those adds. He rarely looked to block/shepherd for a teammate. It's not bagging, it is critiquing one's game. He can make a choice to do the 1%'s when things are tough or when he is down on confidence. Or he can try to do the team stuff at Casey.

Does it really help the Club and the team to keep bagging Jack Watts. I have watched the game a few times now and I don't think he was nearly as bad as some are saying on here. One thing you can say about him is that he is supremely skillful: rarely fluffs a kick (unlike 90% of his team-mates), he was good one on one, and showed good carry out of the back half.

In the long term personally I think he would make a gun mid-fielder. Whether he yet has the stamina for that I doubt somehow, but I think he would be an extraordinary match up in mid field - preferably the Centre. I think he would be more accountable there, than as a floating back. I think he also would add to our power at centre bounces. People forget he is 6'4", and very quick. With in and under types Jack Viney and Nathan Jones, he combined with big Max would be quite a combination. Neither Max nor the Russian struggle to obtain an accurate hit outs. Where we do struggle is to clear it from there. Jack Watts I think could help us a lot there, and it will give him a chance to show us all his mongrel. That might shut a few of his doubters up as well!

Edited by Dees2014
  • Like 3