• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes v Essendon

DeeSpencer

Changes for mine:

Gillies out for McDonald

Nicho out for Jetta

Byrnes out for Davey

Pedo out for Dawes

Tappy out for Terlich

McKenzie out for Trengove

Dunn out for MacDonald

(Seriously, can any of those guys be much worse?!)

Watts, Rodan, Sellar get another chance.... just.

McKenzie had a dip, he was one of the few to get his hands on the football in the third. We know he isn't much chop doing anything other than tagging, and we'll need him for Watson.

It starts and ends with the mids. We can rotate the deck chairs in the back line all we want, but when Boak, Ebert, Cornes, Wines and Hartlett are managing 31 I50's, we're on a hiding to nothing.

They had 6 players with more than 5 I50's. We had one (Jones).

Terlich, McDonald and probably Dawes would be walk up starters for mine. Personally, I'd add Jetta to that, based on reports of his pre-season form (continued yesterday at Casey apparently). Then add Blease for a full game.

But only one of those are a mid, so hard to see that (m)any of these changes are going to address the underlying problem - in terms of player personnel in any case.

Edited by bing181
  • Like 1

McKenzie had a dip, he was one of the few to get his hands on the football in the third. We know he isn't much chop doing anything other than tagging, and we'll need him for Watson.

I love Jordie's effort, and I've stuck up for him in the past, but we don't have the luxury of carrying a pure tagger, our midfield is just nowhere near good enough. Jordie's disposal today was terrible.

If anything, Jordie would probably get Goddard as he beat him last time we played the Saints.

Pedersen should be dropped purely on that marking contest that he ducked his head and pulled out of - pathetic!

Gillies to go as well - can't even hit a target under no pressure 20 metres away - ended up going through for a rushed behind. How bad could our recruiting possibly be?

Not sure who else to go. Tapscott maybe, as he does not have the endurance to be an AFL footballer.

In: Terlich, Jetta, TMac, Kent, Dawes

Secondary option: Clone 4 Mitch Clarks for FB, FF, and Ruck etc, clone 18 Jack Vineys for everywhere else. Problem solved.

By the looks of his list, they get judged on how they went today. If they weren't amongst the worst today, they make the grade as first choice until further notice

Blease goes to Casey because he came on as the sub, so wasn't on long enough to be judged.

After a day when our best player BY FAR was an 18 year old, he wants to go with an oldest players first approach. Joel MacDonald ahead of Blease.

Seriously no words.

Blease had 8 touches after he came on, which was more than Clark, Sellar, Watts and Tapscott, and only one less than Gillies and Toumpas.

I think that's more than enough to be judged on.

Pedersen should be dropped purely on that marking contest that he ducked his head and pulled out of - pathetic!

Gillies to go as well - can't even hit a target under no pressure 20 metres away - ended up going through for a rushed behind. How bad could our recruiting possibly be?

Two of the more embarrassing things I've seen on a footy field.

The Pedo non-mark in the third quarter was so ridiculous it was comical. Just outside 50, not another player within 5 metres of him, and he opts to slap at the ball instead of marking it. Nicholson did the same thing in the first quarter. I've seen Melbourne players do some strange things but that's a new one. It screams zero confidence.

As for that Gillies kick..wow. Why was he playing ahead of Terlich? Does anyone have an answer?

Blease had 8 touches after he came on, which was more than Clark, Sellar, Watts and Tapscott, and only one less than Gillies and Toumpas.

I think that's more than enough to be judged on.

Yes it is. I was not saying Blease shouldn't play, I was being facetious about dee-luded's reasoning to leave him out. Blease must start next week.

Nicholson has copped some stick for that 2 handed punch /spoil attempt at CHB and yes it showed a lack of self confidence. he and the back line were rattled . but for me the more glaring aspect of that piece of play was the 3 team mates in the vicinity who obviously offered absolutely no talk. Where was the " Yours Nicho"! , that would have let him know he had the time and space to take the mark?!! thats the bigger question. that situation showed up the lack of talk down back but if it was lacking then im sure it was lacking th ewhole game. leadership and preparedness to look after each other is imperative in the back line as we all know. Disgusted

There are several changes that I would make.

Out: Rodan, Gillies, Sellar, Tapscott, Byrnes and Dunn

In: Evans (has talent) if not him then Kent, Dawes, McDonald, Davey, Jetta and Terlich

It was interesting to note that after spraying Pedersen and letting him know that Dawes would take his place if he did not perform, then he took a mark and kicked a goal. The players need more of that kind of pressure from the supporters, even if it is not 'Dees' like behaviour.

I want to see Terlich and Jetta come in.

I also don't get the Jordie nonsense - he embodies the commitment and fight that about 15 Demons could get nowhere near yesterday.

But the biggest change for the next while is for Neeld to get the boys to forget the tension of screwing up and the embarrassment of being terrible - they have to take the game on. They didn't do that at all yesterday.

Neeld's job will rest on his ability to get them to look like they enjoy playing footy.

Edited by rpfc
  • Like 3

One change i really want to seee

In - Jake Spencer

Our - Mark Jamar

Jamar is simply terrible. His ruck work was a disgrace and he gives us nothing around the ground. He is soft as butter too.

Spencer at least gives a contest and loves to tackle, and his ruckwork can not be as bad as Jamars cos that would be impossible.

One of the biggest mistaks that this club has made was The Jamar contract He will be lucky to last the year

He makes it almost impossible for us to win clearnces and doesnt do any work around the ground

he is another who is cooked and effects the way the team plays

• Like 1

Get some run in the team, yesterday too top heavy and slow. Midfielders must pick up 20 quality possessions so that excludes Mckenzie, Rodan and Tapscott and tell Jamar to hit it to our blokes not his feet. Runners of the back flanks Watts, Tommy Mac and Dunne is too big and slow. Select 2 tall backs and a make the ruckman runs back and fill the hole, rest of the backline must be runners who can run 10 kick it 60 and hit a target (preferably left footers like malceski or birchall)

Ok I had a time to sleep on it and calm down these are the changes I would make tell me what you think.

Grimes Frawley Jetta

Watts T Mcdonald Terlich

M Jones Viney Davey

Howe Dawes Blease

Byrnes Clark Dunn

Jamar Sylvia N Jones

Fitzpatrick Rodan, Mckenzie (only for tag on watson/goddard), Sub Toumpas

Out Nicholson, Pederson, Sellar, Garland, Tapscott,Gillies

In Fitzpatrick,Terlich,Jetta, T Mcdonald,Davey,Dawes

Grimes must go back take over Garland role, we need leadership down there and he is more suited, yes it will hurt us a little bit in the midfield but him there on sunday,stil did not make a difference
Garland Gets beaten far to often does to many mistake and never really has to pay at VFL, level send him back.
Dunn Backline experiement does not look like it is working send him forward ethier has defensive forward or 4th 5th tall. very lucky to still be in.
Fitzpatrick I dont care if he is under done, will chose him over Sellar and Pederson any day let him play 3rd tall/Ruck
Byrnes,Blease, Davey Pressure Pressure Pressure, attack attack attack, lock it in the 50 let them run

Thoughts?

• Like 1

I want to see Terlich and Jetta come in.

I also don't get the Jordie nonsense - he embodies the commitment and fight that about 15 Demons could get nowhere near yesterday.

But the biggest change for the next while is for Neeld to get the boys to forget the tension of screwing up and the embarrassment of being terrible - they have to take the game on. They didn't do that at all yesterday.

Neeld's job will rest on his ability to get them to look like they enjoy playing footy.

Jordie gives his all but its not enough. He is there as a defensive stopper but does not have the ability to run to follow his man away from the contest. When he does get the ball he mostly gives it away.

Look I agree on his effort, I've been a big supporter of him, but watching closely yesterday it's clear our midfield can't afford to have a tagger out there. His disposal was horrible, which wouldn't be as big a problem if the rest of our midfield were making up for it, but clearly they're not, and possibly they just can't.

Look I agree on his effort, I've been a big supporter of him, but watching closely yesterday it's clear our midfield can't afford to have a tagger out there. His disposal was horrible, which wouldn't be as big a problem if the rest of our midfield were making up for it, but clearly they're not, and possibly they just can't.

I'm a bit the same. I think effort has to be prioritised at the moment, though, so he stays, but when Jordie McKenzie is one of your best midfielders, you're never going to be a good AFL side

Out

gillies - horrible player to watch doesn't have much upside

pederson - just a nothing player

sellar - same as pederson

Nicholson - has a go but murders the ball too often

Mckenzie - same as nicho obviously a decent tagger but can't turn tag into attack.

Dunn - just no good.

In

Tom McDonald, terlich, jetta, Dawes, Trengove, kent

All of the above will offer so much more

I'm a bit the same. I think effort has to be prioritised at the moment, though, so he stays, but when Jordie McKenzie is one of your best midfielders, you're never going to be a good AFL side

I think he'll play against Essendon, if only to tag Godard again. It actually wouldn't totally be his fault if he was dropped as most teams have a tagger, it's just the rest of the midfield is letting him down.

Ins: Dean Kent, Terlich, Magner if possible, Dom Barry, Jetta, Strauss, Blease, Taggart, Joel MacDonald, Fitzpatrick, Tynan, id even bloody include Michael Evans and Troy Davis

Outs: Tappscott (I do rate him but that was terrible), Byrnes, Frawley, Sellar, Dunn, Garland, Gillies, jamar, Watts, Spencer, Byrnes, McKenzie

So in other words - I dont rate our defensive area in any way and I think half our midfield is still ordinary and slow.

I like McKenzie but i dont know who he was tagging but it didnt work - Id prefer Barry and Blease spreading as outsiders with Jones and Viney as the insiders.

Taggart has clearly done enough - Fitzpatrick might offer a bit more in the forward 50 but to be honest I dont think this is our problerm - our problem is the midfield and the defensive 50.

Spencer is now clearly ahead of Jamar.

I get the feeling that the players still haven't bought into needs game plan! Or perhaps neeld doesn't have a game plan!

Out: gillies, tappy, nicho

In: tommy mc, trengove and jetta

Jetta Frawley Garland

MacDonald McDonald Watts

Grimes Jones Blease

Howe Clark Sylvia

Byrnes Dawes Kent

Jamar Trengove Viney

Sellar M Jones Terlich S: Toumpas

Ins-

Jetta - should have played. Goes hard all the time.

MacDonald - see Jetta

McDonald - see MacDonald. Don't care if he's not match fit.

Dawes - obvious. Clark needs support.

Kent - pace & kicking.

Trengove - class. Don't care if he's not match fit.

Terlich - form.

Out-

Nicholson - outclassed. No confidence.

Dunn - overrated. Kicks long but couldn't hit a target.

McKenzie - pointless having a pure tagger in our midfield. Unlucky but someone has to make way.

Pederson - we are top heavy.

Gillies - McDonald fill in.

Rodan - gave nothing.

Tapscott - gave nothing.

Lucky -

Frawley - no obvious replacement. Couldn't go with an opponent.

Watts - best kick in the side. Needs to lift intensity.

Garland - only stays because he is versatile. Always seemed to be trailing.

Sylvia - tried but needs to dominate.

Byrnes - might be better in a functional forward line.

Jamar - needs to do better.

Sellar - best relief ruck option.

Howe - needs to be more involved.

Edited by GM11
  • Like 1