Jack Watts is back and will top Niknat

Demon Forever

LOL you are delusional, if I was a Carlton supporter should I say the same about Matthew Kreuzer? It's alright to put faith and positive belief in players, but geez don't blow smoke out of their ar*e before they kick a few goals and get on the board.

I believe this is a forum and a forum is based on opinions. The fact Watts was ranked number 1 in the AFL last year in multiple aspects (intercept mark, score involvements ect) for 6 weeks before he got injured suggests to me that another pre season under misson and time working on a set role means for me he will only become more consistent damaging player. If he could rank 1st in the AFL for a period last year when learning a role, why cant he go even better now hes learnt the role?

btw: Kruzer was dominating the season he did his knee. Injury's are cruel, if he didn't do his knee we would be ranking him A lot higher.

please note: opinion piece

I believe this is a forum and a forum is based on opinions. The fact Watts was ranked number 1 in the AFL last year in multiple aspects (intercept mark, score involvements ect) for 6 weeks before he got injured suggests to me that another pre season under misson and time working on a set role means for me he will only become more consistent damaging player. If he could rank 1st in the AFL for a period last year when learning a role, why cant he go even better now hes learnt the role?

btw: Kruzer was dominating the season he did his knee. Injury's are cruel, if he didn't do his knee we would be ranking him A lot higher.

please note: opinion piece

Just love the irony deanoDA

How is it even an argument who is better? Naitanui is the current starting AA ruckman and Watts has achieved so far pretty much nothing. Thems the facts.

Fact is... his selection as AA was a crock.... there is no way his season was better than Sam Jacobs from Adelaide.

The selection committee copped crap over that and rightly so. Pretty certain none of the stats backed up that decision,

• Like 5

I said between 5000 and 10000. Totally reasonable proposition given what NikNat brings to the table.

Don't tell me that 5000--10000. ....members would just sign up because of one player.....Please.....

• Like 3

I took note of a comment that Leigh Matthews had in regards to Michael Hurley, he mentioned that Hurleys best position on the ground would be at CHF and that Hurley was too aggressive to play CHB, Matthews continued to say that CHB players need to be poised, calm and more relaxed than Hurley is.

Matthews description was exactly Jack Watts.

So, hopefully now that Watts has found his position, he can show his wares..

I think Nick Nat will be injured a lot throughout his career.

• Like 2

But NicNat is a different story. He is already approaching superstar status and will prove to be an unstoppable force in the AFL for the next 6 or 7 years.

C'mon Rangey, nothing like a bit of wild exaggeration to spruce up your post. Approaching superstar status? Unstoppable force in the AFL? As you say, puhh-lease! Next you're going to say "leaping taller than a building in a single bound! It's a bird, no, it's a plane!"

At the moment, NN is a highlight reel, and a bloody good one at that. Many we're surprised he made AA last year, but then AA is really just and AFL marketing tool. Right at the moment with a fit and firing JW, I'm very pleased with our choice. I think he will continue to get much better over the next couple of seasons. You may not agree, but I don't think NN will get much better than he is now. And the injury he currently has is apparently very nasty, especially for a leaping player.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/west-coast-ruckman-nic-naitanui-could-be-sidelined-until-round-8-by-groin-injury/story-e6frf9jf-1226554552692

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 1

I took note of a comment that Leigh Matthews had in regards to Michael Hurley, he mentioned that Hurleys best position on the ground would be at CHF and that Hurley was too aggressive to play CHB, Matthews continued to say that CHB players need to be poised, calm and more relaxed than Hurley is.

From the evidence in 2012 and this year so far you would have to think Neeld and the FD think he is a back man.

If it turns out he is a high class CHB I will be happy with the No.1 selection.

how could anyone be bothered arguing this topic.. it is basically the exact same argument that started 4.5 years ago and we are no closer to resolving it - you know why? Because you are all just talking nonsense trying to predict a future that cannot be predicted. For one thing, WTF cares about a)what number he went in the draft b)how good some other bloke from that draft is or c) whether he playes as a key forward or not. None of these things matter in the slightest. We have a kid who is still very young, has shown a ton in terms of his athleticism, brains and skill, and is certain to make a meaningful contribution to the club for the next 8 or 9 years. Just let him play and enjoy it please FFS. There are 10-12 others on the list with an exciting future too, fortunately for them they didn't have the bad luck of going at number 1.

Edited by Curry & Beer
  • Like 3

how could anyone be bothered arguing this topic.. it is basically the exact same argument that started 4.5 years ago and we are no closer to resolving it - you know why? Because you are all just talking nonsense trying to predict a future that cannot be predicted. For one thing, WTF cares about a)what number he went in the draft b)how good some other bloke from that draft is or c) whether he playes as a key forward or not. None of these things matter in the slightest. We have a kid who is still very young, has shown a ton in terms of his athleticism, brains and skill, and is certain to make a meaningful contribution to the club for the next 8 or 9 years. Just let him play and enjoy it please FFS. There are 10-12 others on the list with an exciting future too, fortunately for them they didn't have the bad luck of going at number 1.

I agree with everything you wrote bar the first sentence. My motivation for getting involved in this rather pointless argument is that I'm sick of some supporters saying everything MFC has done is wrong and using JW v NN as yet another an example.

I agree with everything you wrote bar the first sentence. My motivation for getting involved in this rather pointless argument is that I'm sick of some supporters saying everything MFC has done is wrong and using JW v NN as yet another an example.

Whether they know it or not, their opinion is totally a reflection of our continued lack of on-field success - through that they cannot look at individual issues in isolation, everything just gets painted with the same brush. If we ever get good again, watch them all suddenly change their tune like magic.

But that's not what I said. I said I believe Watts' ceiling is nowhere near NicNat's.

Based on what both have produced so far it'd be hard to argue otherwise.

This is Jack's fifth season and he's yet to tear up a single game of AFL footy.

Why? Because Naitanui is athletically gifted?

Are you not aware of Watts having that same attribute?

But much better skills, ability to read the game, and decision-making.

You can't tell me Watts isn't "fearless", but apparently Naitanui is...

Nic nat is a good flashy player no where near a superstar, how he got AA ruck last year still baffles me I expect watts will be a more consistent player over there careers but its all still early to tell

I couldn't agree more.

All I know is that Jack has had a good pre season and has been our best player in the NAB cup. He's much better poised for a good year than he was last season when he couldn't get a touch in the pre season games.

• Like 1

Stats dont tell the whole story but i would like to direct you to the link below, shows some handy info comparing the 2 players.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?tid1=12&pid1=3107&tid2=19&pid2=3108&type=A&fid1=C&fid2=C

Wow, those stats are pretty surprising! The one most important is obviously the fact Nic Nat is about a year ahead of Jack in age and games played. So if we compare Jack at the end of this year to Nic Nat at the end of last, that will be a fairer comparison...
  • Like 2

Wow, those stats are pretty surprising! The one most important is obviously the fact Nic Nat is about a year ahead of Jack in age and games played. So if we compare Jack at the end of this year to Nic Nat at the end of last, that will be a fairer comparison...

Exactly!! I think people need to realise Jack Watts isn't the "strongest" player going around but this could be the year we see something special from him!

The thing is I bet it would be a lot easier to get Hurley to control his aggression instead of getting Watts to become aggressive enough.

Oh and if you've watched Hurley play in the backline he has no problem when to attack and when not to. The guy is a freak natural defender.

The thing is I bet it would be a lot easier to get Hurley to control his aggression instead of getting Watts to become aggressive enough.

Oh and if you've watched Hurley play in the backline he has no problem when to attack and when not to. The guy is a freak natural defender.

Really? I would argue the opposite, Hurley will struggle to contain his aggression, just like Joel Selwood only knows one one to play and he is going to be a risk of concussion constantly through his career. Same with Glen Archer, Byron Pickett, Josh Carr etc. If you have the angry in you, good luck getting it out. Name me a player than has 'mellowed'?

I am not saying it is easy to become aggressive, but I think Watts will find the 'happy medium' faster than Hurley, who will spend a good amount of time with the tribunal before his career is ended.

Stats dont tell the whole story but i would like to direct you to the link below, shows some handy info comparing the 2 players.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?tid1=12&pid1=3107&tid2=19&pid2=3108&type=A&fid1=C&fid2=C

Putting the Jack Watt's comparison to the side for a minute. It really is a joke that NN was all Australian Ruckman last year.

Out of 22 games only got 15+ possession 6 times with only once getting to 20.

Averaged only 3 marks a game and was ranked 17th for Ave Hitouts!!

There is no doubt he goes missing for large portions of games and the media is completely seduced by the highlights.

• Like 7

Exactly!! I think people need to realise Jack Watts isn't the "strongest" player going around but this could be the year we see something special from him!

Philithy you are condemning him to be CS with those words

Have this strange sense of Deja Vu !!

• Like 1

I'd like to see Watts get a bit of a run though the middle...... He's clearly one of our most skilled players, maybe we should use his skill were we need it the most..... Would be good to see ours forwards get some decent delivery.....

• Like 1

I'd like to see Watts get a bit of a run though the middle...... He's clearly one of our most skilled players, maybe we should use his skill were we need it the most..... Would be good to see ours forwards get some decent delivery.....

If he's playing the sweeper role off half back as he has in the NAB then the forwards will get plenty of good delivery from him and he will kick a few goals himself.