Jack Watts is back and will top Niknat

Demon Forever

(Gets popcorn and a big coke, sits in his favourite chair and waits for the shitfight................Kgo!!!!!)

I really don't care, as long as Watts is a bloody good player for us and helps us win a flag, Nik nat can be a star, but the simply fact is he would have left us to go back home, he said it, His Mum said it and he admitted he does what she says. End argument, kthanx

• Like 2

Im not into the Watts versus anyone else thing.

I just think Watts is Watts and will prove this year that he will be invaluable to us, and might even finish top 3 in the BandF

• Like 1

A player who is developed at one club and returns to his home to be a star at another club is not a plus for the first club. Does anyone think that having NN at the club over the last few years would have made much of a difference?

Sounds like NN would have been back in WA by now whereas we still have JW. Therefore unless JW was a complete dud (which he clearly is not) choosing JW was a win. Why argue about it.

• Like 5

My thoughts on this issue are well known. However, I have been impressed with what Watts has shown over the pre-season and expect genuine improvement from him. He should be able to assert himself as a top six MFC player this season.

But NicNat is a different story. He is already approaching superstar status and will prove to be an unstoppable force in the AFL for the next 6 or 7 years. Our Jack doesn't have anywhere near that ceiling.

And this argument that NicNat "would've gone home" is a total furphy. Good clubs back themselves in to retain their stars. The moment you rule out drafting kids from interstate you are dead in the water. You reckon an Essendon or a Collingwood would have given two sh1ts about that? Puhh-lease.

• Like 1

My thoughts on this issue are well known. However, I have been impressed with what Watts has shown over the pre-season and expect genuine improvement from him. He should be able to assert himself as a top six MFC player this season.

But NicNat is a different story. He is already approaching superstar status and will prove to be an unstoppable force in the AFL for the next 6 or 7 years. Our Jack doesn't have anywhere near that ceiling.

And this argument that NicNat "would've gone home" is a total furphy. Good clubs back themselves in to retain their stars. The moment you rule out drafting kids from interstate you are dead in the water. You reckon an Essendon or a Collingwood would have given two sh1ts about that? Puhh-lease.

I agree with your sentiment about drafting interstate players (ie, one can't be spooked about the potential 'go home' factor).

That said, Gubby Allen said at a function I attended about a year ago that most clubs would've picked Jack Watts at number one. His testing was fantastic and he was seen to be a bloody good prospect at the time. Some seem quite conveniently to forget this now.

To date, perhaps he hasn't quite displayed his potential - certainly not consistently anyway. Whereas NicNat has been bloody good during the same period of time - NicNat was way ahead of Watts physically when drafted though, and has been playing in a much better team and has been second string to arguably the best ruckman in the comp - material points of difference IMO.

I reckon this year we'll start to see why Watts was so highly rated at the time. It's also worth noting that we recruited him to be a 10 plus year player for us.

• Like 5

Ok I'll interrupt the happy times to say Watts won't end up better than Nic Nat. Watts will solidify himself at AFL level but the things that make him good - Skill and speed for his size aren't enough to make him elite. To be elite you have to win the ball where others can't. That's what separates Watts from the rest. I just don't see how Watts will get 25 a week off half back and become an elite half back flank like Enright unless he becomes fearless. Not just not soft, but fearless. Even then he's not as much use as a dominant ruckman, gun midfielder or key forward. Potentially if he keeps filling out he could play as a CHB and that could increase his value but I'm not sure he'll ever have the physicality to be a true key position player.

Nic Nat at the moment is learning from the best and progressing to be a future Dean Cox (without some of the clean skill but with extra atheleticism). The plan for Watts is for him to become Sam Fisher. I'd ask anyone if they were building a team if they'd prefer Cox or Fisher?

• Like 1

You don't know his ceiling. You can say you do, but you really don't.

I thought I knew Jones' ceiling and he punched right through it.

• Like 10

I agree with your sentiment about drafting interstate players (ie, one can't be spooked about the potential 'go home' factor).

That said, Gubby Allen said at a function I attended about a year ago that most clubs would've picked Jack Watts at number one. His testing was fantastic and he was seen to be a bloody good prospect at the time. Some seem quite conveniently to forget this now.

To date, perhaps he hasn't quite displayed his potential - certainly not consistently anyway. Whereas NicNat has been bloody good during the same period of time - NicNat was way ahead of Watts physically when drafted though, and has been playing in a much better team and has been second string to arguably the best ruckman in the comp - material points of difference IMO.

I reckon this year we'll start to see why Watts was so highly rated at the time. It's also worth noting that we recruited him to be a 10 plus year player for us.

Much easier to show potential in side with good players than one that is struggling each week. Nobody really knows what Watts is potential is - but neeld seems the likely peson to make it happen. Edited by machine11
  • Like 1

As usual it depends on the circumstances. Some players have a much greater likelihood of wanting to go home than others. That must be taken into account and balanced against chest-beating about a great culture to retain players etc.

In any case if you took away NN's looks, they'd be far less fuss about him. He's good, may become great, but I personally don't see he is exceptional yet (except in a PR sense).

Edited by sue

Watts will be all Australian, a best and fairest player and top 5 brownlow in the next 2 years. (hopefully with Melbourne next year)

LOL you are delusional, if I was a Carlton supporter should I say the same about Matthew Kreuzer? It's alright to put faith and positive belief in players, but geez don't blow smoke out of their ar*e before they kick a few goals and get on the board.

You don't know his ceiling. You can say you do, but you really don't.

I thought I knew Jones' ceiling and he punched right through it.

But that's not what I said. I said I believe Watts' ceiling is nowhere near NicNat's.

Based on what both have produced so far it'd be hard to argue otherwise.

This is Jack's fifth season and he's yet to tear up a single game of AFL footy.

As usual it depends on the circumstances. Some players have a much greater likelihood of wanting to go home than others. That must be taken into account and balanced against chest-beating about a great culture to retain players etc.

In any case if you took away NN's looks, they'd be far less fuss about him. He's good, may become great, but I personally don't see he is exceptional yet (except in a PR sense).

I disagree with both of your points. The go-home factor is a non-issue for me. And NikNat has shown bursts (which became increasingly more frequent in 2012) of exceptional, matchwinning footy. The hulking Fijian frame and dreadlocks simply adds the bonus of 5000-10000 extra members each season (perhaps something a club in our position shouldn't so quickly have sneezed at?).

This is Jack's fifth season and he's yet to tear up a single game of AFL footy.

A little unfair given that in that time his club has barely managed to do the same.... 30 odd disposals against the swans last year was an impressive effort given how badly the rest of the team got smashed.

Niknat has a bit more license to play the way he does in a team that can cover his mistakes due to how well drilled they are....I'd suggest Watts might be seen a little different light (and indeed would be playing differently) in a team such as Collingwood/Hawthorn, and NikNat in a team such as the Doggies or the Dees... The argument of who is better is irrelevant unless you can compare them in a fair way.

• Like 1

Ummmm.... did anyone actually bother to read the article??????

Ox didn't say Watts would we BETTER than NikNat, he said he'd be a more consistent player. That NikNat would finish his career with a huge highlight reel, but Watts would be the more trustworthy one performance wise.

And Range Rover, you are starting to get silly about this topic again... 10,000 extra members? Come on mate, some credibility please.

A little unfair given that in that time his club has barely managed to do the same.... 30 odd disposals against the swans last year was an impressive effort given how badly the rest of the team got smashed.

Niknat has a bit more license to play the way he does in a team that can cover his mistakes due to how well drilled they are....I'd suggest Watts might be seen a little different light (and indeed would be playing differently) in a team such as Collingwood/Hawthorn, and NikNat in a team such as the Doggies or the Dees... The argument of who is better is irrelevant unless you can compare them in a fair way.

How is it even an argument who is better? Naitanui is the current starting AA ruckman and Watts has achieved so far pretty much nothing. Thems the facts.

Ummmm.... did anyone actually bother to read the article??????

Ox didn't say Watts would we BETTER than NikNat, he said he'd be a more consistent player. That NikNat would finish his career with a huge highlight reel, but Watts would be the more trustworthy one performance wise.

And Range Rover, you are starting to get silly about this topic again... 10,000 extra members? Come on mate, some credibility please.

I said between 5000 and 10000. Totally reasonable proposition given what NikNat brings to the table.