To the drummers.

cowboy_from_hell

I read some posts from a selected few who are beating the drums about our coach already. That is your opinion so I must respect it but I do not agree at all. This is a worst case scenario thread where IF we do show no improvement at all I would like the drum beaters to give me a logical replacement and what type of gameplan compared to Neeld's you would like to see. Don't just say let's fire him. Show me a replacement and be proactive in a post.

I have never thought about not renewing a membership but if Neeld was to be let go I would strongly consider not signing myself and my kids next year. Jesse Hogan may have something to say about it though. I could not see the point of hiring a coach and giving him the green light to cull a list and start from scratch but then fire the coach. This would leave us in a worse position then we were in after Bailey.

Edited by cowboy_from_hell
  • Like 8

No-one is exempt from the blow torch treatment.

Every coach, every player, every administrator.

Posters malign Demetriou, but at least he wants the competition to stay healthy with all the clubs.

His anointed vice CEO is unctuous and has a hidden agenda - he's let a few comments on 'sustainability' slip through.

This Club must lift, or extinction awaits.

• Like 1

I agree that no one should be exempt from the blow torch. For the Neeld knockers I would love to know who they want to replace him and why.

• Like 1

The perception with one camp is that Neeld has not shown much other than tough talking that gets some people excited. A coaching box insider told me personally not long before the Essondon game last season that the players were having trouble adjusting to the new game plan. It is now a year later and the practice matches are over.

Overall we have not seen much to where we have improved as a team. More like more of the same. The game plan seems to be as stodgy and uninspiring as it was 12 months ago. Some individual players have progressed in their development but as a team not much seems to have happened. We all await how the first half of the season pans out. Till then every loss will see detractors criticise Neeld and every win will see Neeld rejoiced as a messiah by his supporters.

Neeld will need to have at least three wins under his belt by then but more importanitly we need to show spirited fight in other games. Any more of the same rubbish attitude as last season will for sure finish him off. Last year it only happened once when we overcame Essendon. A rumour I have heard which I cannot verify is that some players put in a special effort as a tribute to Dean Bailey in that game.

Edited by Muvver Jones

The perception with one camp is that Neeld has not shown much other than tough talking that gets some people excited. A coaching box insider told me personally not long before the Essondon game last season that the players were having trouble adjusting to the new game plan. It is now a year later and the practice matches are over.

Overall we have not seen much to where we have improved as a team. More like more of the same. The game plan seems to be as stodgy and uninspiring as it was 12 months ago. Some individual players have progressed in their development but as a team not much seems to have happened. We all await how the first half of the season pans out. Till then every loss will see detractors criticise Neeld and every win will see Neeld rejoiced as a messiah by his supporters.

Neeld will need to have at least three wins under his belt by then but more importanitly we need to show spirited fight in other games. Any more of the same rubbish attitude as last season will for sure finish him off. Last year it only happened once when we overcame Essendon. A rumour I have heard which I cannot verify is that some players put in a special effort as a tribute to Dean Bailey in that game.

To bad they didnt put in a special effort for 186.

• Like 1

I read some posts from a selected few who are beating the drums about our coach already. That is your opinion so I must respect it but I do not agree at all. This is a worst case scenario thread where IF we do show no improvement at all I would like the drum beaters to give me a logical replacement and what type of gameplan compared to Neeld's you would like to see. Don't just say let's fire him. Show me a replacement and be proactive in a post.

I have never thought about not renewing a membership but if Neeld was to be let go I would strongly consider not signing myself and my kids next year. Jesse Hogan may have something to say about it though. I could not see the point of hiring a coach and giving him the green light to cull a list and start from scratch but then fire the coach. This would leave us in a worse position then we were in after Bailey.

It is the same noisy, lunatic fringe as last season, CFH. They'll be at it again no doubt when we (most probably) lose more than we win during the first half of the year. Bandicoot and his 'tick tock tick tock' nonsense - just ignore it.

The sensible and astute among us understand that this new-look side will take a few months to 'bed-in'. Let's see how this team is performing during the second half of the season before we really put the coach under the microscope.

Edited by Range Rover
  • Like 4

It's a three year ramp up in fitness and game strategy. If he gets the flick halfway thru it I'll annoyed to say the least.

Club culture and players fitness is where we're so far behind the successful clubs. Get that right and the wins will come. Anyone suggesting that Neeld and Craig and their deputies have NFI about developing and implementing a game plan have NFI themselves. Look at their résumé.

• Like 1

This is why our club will never be successful.........

1/ Without commenting on specifics for the game plan - go outside the club ask anyone within footy - Defence wins premierships

2/ If that has any resemblence of truth - we cleraly didn't turn over enough players

3/ I know we've been crap for ages and I would love to win some games - but this site has very un-realistic expectations. And I agree with CFH. If Neeld gets sacked this year I will never support this club ever again

• Like 5

I believe that a lot of supporters overrate our list and football department and it shows. Some believe that we should make the eight and some think we should win eight to ten games for Neeld and co to keep their jobs.

So lets have a look at where we were, a club that was in basic term broke an underfunded football club, poor culture over many years, no structures within the club of what is needed to be a successful club, a board that leaked like a sieve and if reports are true the players had a lot to say to what went on.

So Neeld is appointed and he fully changes the way the football department is set up, not only is there assistant coaches we now have line coaches to help with the players development, we also got in Dave Misson and he is one of the best in the business and then Neil Craig who also knows how a successful football department runs.

So Misson’s first pre-season and the man is staggered at the fitness of the players with all his data from the swans and the saints he rated us at about sixty percent compared to those two teams, then again he was still flogging them during the season. Then we come to this year and I believe he has ramped it up another twenty percent so that leaves us another twenty percent left for next year, you cannot get to an elite level like all the top sides in a short time, Misson is building the body to match the fitness base then we will be able to compete with the top sides.

So now we come to Neeld’s second season and he has cleaned out the playing list and brought in some expiernced players as well as some youth and yet people still complained and only wanted youth, I believe they do not understand what Neeld’s so called money ball is all about, first and foremost bring in expiernced players bides him time to develop the younger players by taking the pressure of them so instead of getting the best player on them (instead of two players on Clarke they now have to look after Dawes, Pederson, Byrnes or even Howe) they might get the second and third player so that in effect helps them with confidence and that will help fast track their development. Neeld knows that he has only a couple of years at most with Rodan, Byrnes etc so this is where top clubs have it over us, when they have a player out with injuries someone from the second tier stands up and that is where we need to get. So lets remember before we put time limits on Neeld and co just remember get the foundation right before the building can be built, what I hope to see (wins would be nice) but the group continue to bridge the gap between us and the top sides so we can have continued success.

P.S If you don’t think Neeld, Misson and Craig don’t know what is needed to get to the top then your dreaming!!

Edited by demon3165
  • Like 8

The simplistic commentary that asks for Neeld's replacement needs to be directed to more productive ideas.

Having said that, the situation is almost dire - unfair as it may seem, early wins will allow some of the heavy atmosphere to be lifted, albeit temporarily.

How did this situation get so bad? Recruiting?

A rumour I have heard which I cannot verify is that some players put in a special effort as a tribute to Dean Bailey in that game.

Am I the only one horrified by this thought? These players should be putting in a "special effort" every week! If you can play at that level one game to make a point then you can do it every game of the season. Given the privileged lives they lead and the insane money they earn you would think these guys could put in their best effort every time they walk out in the red and blue.

If it is true, then I hope the players in question were part of the clean-out, because that is exactly the sort of toxic culture we are desperately trying to eliminate.

• Like 2

I don't think we should be getting too worked up over an unsubstantiated rumour that, on the face of it, seems ludicrous.

If we get demolished by Port at the G in Round 1, the blowtorch will be warming up, there's no doubt about that. The pressure will be instant. By that I mean not just the fans but the media will immediately be questioning whether Neeld can coach at AFL level if he is getting outdone by a first year coach in Ken Hinkley.

Incidentally, GWS beat a fairly strong Saints lineup yesterday as well. If both the Suns and the Giants are already overtaking us this year, it's going to be an even rockier period ahead for this club.

I don't think we should be getting too worked up over an unsubstantiated rumour that, on the face of it, seems ludicrous.

If we get demolished by Port at the G in Round 1, the blowtorch will be warming up, there's no doubt about that. The pressure will be instant. By that I mean not just the fans but the media will immediately be questioning whether Neeld can coach at AFL level if he is getting outdone by a first year coach in Ken Hinkley.

Incidentally, GWS beat a fairly strong Saints lineup yesterday as well. If both the Suns and the Giants are already overtaking us this year, it's going to be an even rockier period ahead for this club.

Unfortunatley those two sides are given the luxury time and have no expectations.... The MFC is currently in a similar position but everyone seems to expect immeadiate improvement.

The only thing we have over these 2 is we SHOULD (and I highlight that) have a better senior crop of players - Unfortunately we don't

• Like 1

I find it interesting that those who argue against Neeld like to point to the fact that in each of Bailey's last two seasons, we won 8½ games and that Neeld is somehow a failure because we won half that number in his first season. Their logic is that if he can't get us up to the level of around 8 - 10 wins this year then he should be sacked.

That's a load of bull. By the end of Bailey's term, we were clearly on the decline with a team that had a poor culture and was incapable of handling the press employed by the better teams in the competition. Neeld has started again from scratch and has cleaned house. This is his second year as coach. Bailey coached the team to four wins in his second year. I'll back Neeld to beat that figure this year.

In any event, it's folly to simply go on the number of wins. I think by the end of year we'll be able to see tangible evidence that Neeld's plans are making inroads. It will be in the style of play, the confidence levels, team skills and many of other indicators rather than just the results of matches.

• Like 3

A improvement in skills is what I want to see most. We were deplorable in most departments last year. Not being able to hit up a player from 20 metres is not acceptable and it is turnovers from BASIC skill errors that really hurt and kill off momentum.

I'd like to see an entire match where our captain doesn't kick it out on the full. That would be a good start.

• Like 3

A improvement in skills is what I want to see most. We were deplorable in most departments last year. Not being able to hit up a player from 20 metres is not acceptable and it is turnovers from BASIC skill errors that really hurt and kill off momentum.

I'd like to see an entire match where our captain doesn't kick it out on the full. That would be a good start.

I assume when you play, you never miss a target, is that correct?

I think that most supporters are realistic enough to know that we are on a long journey. However, I believe what we want to see, apart from a few more wins, is a lot more appetite from our players, more toughness, more bollocks and a smattering of swashbuckling elegance.

If I really wanted to troll and unfairly put Neeld under the pump and take the shine off the Essendon win, I'd think of something like this too. Type in a rumour and state that I cannot verify it would be the icing on the cake.

But it would get the natives up and about I'm sure.

If I really wanted to troll and unfairly put Neeld under the pump and take the shine off the Essendon win, I'd think of something like this too. Type in a rumour and state that I cannot verify it would be the icing on the cake.

But it would get the natives up and about I'm sure.

If its any consolation the rumour came to me from an Essondon supporter who hangs around nightclubs.

I am happy for the blowtorch to be on the staff. They should expect it.

These members of the staff are OOC this year and I can see a number of changes should their form continue:

Watts, Sylvia (UFA), Davey (RFA), Grimes, Taggert, Gawn, Tynan, Fitzpatrick, Nicholson, Evans, MacDonald, Sellar, Jetta, Davis, Couch ®, Magner ®, Rodan, Gillies, Clisby ®, Stark ®

Watts, and Grimes are the only 'locks.'

Nicholson, Evans, Sellar, Rodan, Gillies, Magner, and Jetta are 'thereabouts' for a starting spot.

Sylvia and Davey are...yeah, whatever.

Taggert, Tynan, Fitzpatrick, MacDonald, Davis, Couch, Clisby, and Stark are staring down the barrel.

I can see up to 14 deletions from the above.

That would make 28 players in two seasons. With 29 of the 44 players he inherited gone.

We are currently at 22 inherited palyers jettisoned by my count.