Mitch and Dawesy

Probably a dumb idea, but I thought I may as well go with what I'm good at... why not play Dawes(y) and Clark(y) on opposite HFFs (where they can stay out of each others' way) and Howe(y) at FF... Dawes(y) and Clark(y) take the top defenders and Howe(y) is left to out-mark whoever is put up against him and be left with a reasonably easy set shot - set shots from the angle or from any great distance are not his forte. Worth a try in my world.

I think I've proven I have that same ability as you and so Ill agree .

I like that layout with Pedersen at CHF to provide an even greater problem for defence structures

Howe for the hangers and a fleet of runners in the pockets to pick up the spillage from ff or hf contests

The mids dont have to run so deep and can provide better rebounding cover.

I think thats what I mean technically and it is a bit of a modification on my previous rotating strategy which could still be worked to really unsettle the opposing defence. .

I think I've proven I have that same ability as you and so Ill agree .

I like that layout with Pedersen at CHF to provide an even greater problem for defence structures

Howe for the hangers and a fleet of runners in the pockets to pick up the spillage from ff or hf contests

The mids dont have to run so deep and can provide better rebounding cover.

I think thats what I mean technically and it is a bit of a modification on my previous rotating strategy which could still be worked to really unsettle the opposing defence. .

Or Sellar if not Pedersen! I am still not decided between those two but like the idea of at least one of them up there to make it harder for the defenders.

• Like 1

This might be a little simplistic, but in my eyes you expect to see more goals from your FF than pretty much most other players on the ground, sure there are exceptions when you have a freak CHF or forward pocket. But as a general rule it works.

I see Dawes as our FF, or at least the player leading out from the goal square. I see Mitch as more of a roaming forward that will spend some time in the ruck as well. (Probably the role that Dawes couldn't play well @ Collingwood)

Based on my assumptions then I don't think Lloyds comment about 40 goals (given that we think Dawes is on a contract around half a mil) is too unrealistic... the only problem here is that Dawes hasn't kicked more than 30 odd goals in a single season I don't think, but I do think he gets quite a few goal assists.

Edited by Oucher

It was clear from my particular post that I was in agreement with Lloyd about Dawes. That's the specific point I addressed. And now here you are more or less concurring with that view.

You're tying yourself up in knots there Crawf.

No knots RR. Maybe you missed my attempt at sarcasm. Please reply so you can have the last word.

the thing i like about the dawes clark combo is they are very different, dawes will use his body more, clark can run and jump and take the ball at the highest possible point, add sellar maybe and howe to that and win lose or draw it's a headache with some good crumbing forwards like byrnes and davey around too

\

• Like 1

So you were talking in generalities.

I don't align myself with anyone. I sometimes agree with idiots and can disagree with a genius. I'd rather make an assessment on the comment, not on who is doing the commentary.

It's called being objective.

I'd hate to rob you of the obvious pleasure you get from always having the last word so please reply ASAP.

• Like 1

This might be a little simplistic, but in my eyes you expect to see more goals from your FF than pretty much most other players on the ground, sure there are exceptions when you have a freak CHF or forward pocket. But as a general rule it works.

That being the case in my eyes Dawes looks to be our FF, or at least the player leading out from the goal square. I see Mitch as more of a roaming forward that will spend some time in the ruck as well. (Probably the role that Dawes couldn't play well @ Collingwood)

Based on my assumptions then I don't think Lloyds comment about 40 goals (given that we think Dawes is on a contract around half a mil) is too unrealistic... the only problem here is that Dawes hasn't kicked more than 30 odd goals in a single season I don't think, but I do think he gets quite a few goal assists.

Good call Oucher. When he first came across he said in an interview that one of the factors in him choosing the dees was that they planned to play him deep forward. I'm hoping he'll be much more than a player who brings the ball to ground and agree with Lloyd that 40 goals is 'round about a pass mark. I'd love to see him get his groove on and bag 50 plus.

He has a bit to prove and would be smarting that the maggies didn't see him as part of their plans. With him close to goals and Clark pushing up to CHF we should bag our fair share of forward marks, an area we have been woeful at for most of the time i have supported the dees.

• Like 1

So Lloyd can't discuss other clubs even though he's in the media ?

I completely agree with Lloyd. Full forwards are expected to kick goals. Full stop. He's done his apprenticeship at AFL level, will play as the close to goal forward, and should be able to contribute an average of 2 goals per game. Especially as he'll have support with Clark and either Pedersen, or Sellar spreading defenders.

Some Melbourne supporters are making excuses and reducing expectations before he's even played a game. Can't say I'm surprised.

I reckon Dawes will be good for us and obviously he has structural significance, but he still has to hit the scoreboard.

Mate, you are ridiculous. You put words in other people's mouths to justify your own views.

Did I say Lloyd could not discuss us? He clearly likes to have a go at us, but conveniently is close to silent on the Bombers fiasco. He should show more balance.

If we win and Dawes regularly kicks only one or two goals, but directly contributes four more, would you still be disappointed? It's a team game. But I guess it's all about you.

Only a closed mind is certain, BH.

• Like 1

I really struggle to see Dawes being the answer for goals, contests maybe at best, but goals no. I totally agree that if anyone excuses him kicking any less than 40 goals it really is letting him off the hook. I dont see him doing it - i doubt he'll kick more than 20 (his best last was 3 against freeo....) and offer up plenty of excuses as to why - but ultimately i think (but hope I am wrong wrong wrong) he just doesnt have the ability to send the pig skin soaring between the big sticks when it counts.

I really struggle to see Dawes being the answer for goals, contests maybe at best, but goals no. I totally agree that if anyone excuses him kicking any less than 40 goals it really is letting him off the hook. I dont see him doing it - i doubt he'll kick more than 20 (his best last was 3 against freeo....) and offer up plenty of excuses as to why - but ultimately i think (but hope I am wrong wrong wrong) he just doesnt have the ability to send the pig skin soaring between the big sticks when it counts.

You really seem to have it in for Dawes...just three posts and two are spent running him down. It is NOT an excuse to say that Dawes was played as a ruck last year with far less opportunity to impact the Coleman...he will be good for a couple a game this year I would think as he will be played as a dedicated forward.

Edited by hardtack

They haven't played together yet so it might take a little time for them to gel, but the good news is that Dawes played in a side that had Cloke playing a similar role to Clark.

I am very excited to see how they go this year. Lloyd said on FC that anything less than 40 goals from Dawes will be a fail. He must be on crack looking at what Melbourne has produced in recent years. If we get 50-60+ from Mitch and 30+ from Dawes then we'll be doing very well as a team.

Pates, I think anything less than 40 goals from anyone classed as a power-forward in todays game should be marked as a fail.

An average of 2 goals a game is all we're asking...

Pates, I think anything less than 40 goals from anyone classed as a power-forward in todays game should be marked as a fail.

An average of 2 goals a game is all we're asking...

Honestly I don't think he has any hope to kick 40 goals. 30 in 2010 was his best at the Pies and even though he will be more of a focal point at Melbourne, he will still be 2nd potato behind Mitch

However, if Dawes does kick 40 and Clark plays most games then between them you would be looking at 90+ goals. The only way that will happen is if delivery from our midfield improves exponentially and we pressure the opposition into coughing up the ball causing turnovers, much like teams have been doing to us for so long.

Dawes kicking 40 isn't going to happen but if it did we would be talking finals.

Probably a dumb idea, but I thought I may as well go with what I'm good at... why not play Dawes(y) and Clark(y) on opposite HFFs (where they can stay out of each others' way) and Howe(y) at FF... Dawes(y) and Clark(y) take the top defenders and Howe(y) is left to out-mark whoever is put up against him and be left with a reasonably easy set shot - set shots from the angle or from any great distance are not his forte. Worth a try in my world.

Why (y)?

Besides Clark, no other melbourne player averaged 1 goal a game, let alone 2.

In order for the likes of Howe, Dawes and co to score and kick more than the 2012 average of 10.2 goals a game. Melbourne will need to lift themselves of the bottom of the centre clearances stat, and improve of their inside 50 count of 45 per game.

I would only assume Rodan & Viney would assist in this stat increasing and could possibly lead to improvement on the stats.

Just a thought, tear it apart as you wish. I personally think Dawes kicking 30 would be a great feat... I would also think Blease & Howe will kick more than their 19 each from last year.

Also, with the players that have left, it leave a gap of 57 goals... I think this can be filled and maybe more with who has come in.

Mate, you are ridiculous. You put words in other people's mouths to justify your own views.

Did I say Lloyd could not discuss us? He clearly likes to have a go at us, but conveniently is close to silent on the Bombers fiasco. He should show more balance.

If we win and Dawes regularly kicks only one or two goals, but directly contributes four more, would you still be disappointed? It's a team game. But I guess it's all about you.

Only a closed mind is certain, BH.

You said, "Lloyd should focus on his own team's circus of events."

Two things.

You're insinuating he should be talking about someone else.

I have heard him talk about the Essendon situation. Is it all you want him to do ?

The IQ levels on here is seriously funny.

Two things.

I have heard him talk about the Essendon situation. Is it all you want him to do ?

the correcting of your english in the last line was too easy...

Edited by Mad_Melbourne
  • Like 1

Two things.

BH your arrogance and self importance typifies the stereotype other supporters have of us.

You are assuming an insinuation where there is none. As I said, I want Lloyd to show balence in his commentary, by spending more time on other clubs, such as his own. That is all. Try reading what posters write, as opposed to how you want to read it. But as I said, it's all about you.

I think any reasonable supporter would understand that Dawes' value is far more than the number of goals he kicks. It is simplistic to think otherwise and illustrates a lack of understanding of the modern game.

Feel free to reply, because you always do ad nauseum. I do not need to reply anymore to you on this, big man.

• Like 1

Pft, 40 goals last year would have been 16th most in the competition, obviously a secondary forward in a bottom 10 side isn't realistically going to get that... not that the thought of looking at the actual numbers would have occurred to a dingleberry like Lloyd