Aaron Davey - the future?

jumbo returns

Let's presume that davey is fit and firing at training. What position does he play? He was found out at half back because the opposition would tag him out of the game. I don't think he would be up to a full time midfield role. Can he turn back the clock and play a sweeping forward role?

A good bloke to crumb Dawes, Clark & Pederson, he has good football smarts and is a good kick. I would be pleased to see him in the forward pocket at round 1.

• Like 1

Why cant he be a crumbing forward. Just be there like Aussie was and crumb the ball of Clarke and Dawes

They tried that last year,he cant chase anymore, hes times up.

Because we have more midfielders and small fwds this year with solid bodies, I think Davey (if fit and injury free) will be a harder player for the opposition to match up with. On the other hand, if we have more midfielders and small fwds available, the competition for spots increases, which requires him to step up, particularly if he wishes to have another MFC contract beyond 2013. Love watching him when he's on song, so hope he can do it.

I'll tell you one thing. If Flash continues his injury free run and starts to hit his straps early in the season and gets back to somewhere near his exhilarating best, it will give a massive lift to this team. A seriously massive lift.

Davey balking blokes on the MCC flank and delivering laser passes to Clark and Dawesy coming out of the goalsquare will get the G rocking again, no doubt about it.

• Like 7

Not sure he'll still have his pace, but when fit and confident, Davey reads the play well and can use his laser left foot to great effect. He is capable of creating the play, making players lead to where he wants them to go. I think Jack Watts will also be good at doing this in the future.

For mine Davey will run out to play having more confidence in his body and his fitness than he has had for years. Davey had to get his body more durable and improve his endurance and fingers crossed he has done that. Thats the impact that professionals like Misson, Jackson and Craig can have. They have a proven record of conditioning players to play tough hard footy.

Would be great to see Flash terrorising opposition defenders again.

I take it you are using your medical degree and years of experience to say he has had minor injuries,only or do you know for a fact they were

Yep you can take it. Not that we need to rehash but Davey has been fully fit on a number of occasions in the past 3 seasons. Its his attitude and dropping of the head that has been the problem. He completely lost any penetration and became a 15m player instead of a 70m player. That may have been coaching but standing behind Jamar taking short handballs and giving off dinky little 15m kicks was a sad evolution of his skills.

His attitude when tagged was the most disturbing, And giving him the benefoit of the doubt maybe he cracked the sads because no one would help him out or block for him.

In any case that is past and I would be thrilled if Aaron could get back to his damaging best. He has proven me wrong with his training over summer and if he can take that form into a real game he could be a great asset for us this year.

as mentioned by others, this bloke has a long way to go to win me back - his season (along with Moloney's) are two of the biggest drop-offs in impact I have ever seen. I don't know about his injury, but there is absolutely no excuse for shirking the contest and dropping your head as a supposed senior leader. To be honest I am surprised he was not shown the door.

Didn't stop Morton from being shown the door, sorry traded for pick 80 something.

Name the clubs that wanted an physically slight player with a crippled body that denies him any pace who cannot handle a tag and blows fuses on the field.

Given the saga with Davey early in the year, the Club had to honour his contract unless Davey chose to retire (a la Alistair Nicholson). Highly unlikely given the alleged money Davey was on.

Anyway Davey has chosen to fight out possibly his last year of AFL. Good on him.

However, I dont have him starting 22. I dont see him as part of Neelds bigger picture. And like I said earlier anything we get from him this year is a bonus. But I am not holding my breath.

For mine Davey will run out to play having more confidence in his body and his fitness than he has had for years. Davey had to get his body more durable and improve his endurance and fingers crossed he has done that. Thats the impact that professionals like Misson, Jackson and Craig can have. They have a proven record of conditioning players to play tough hard footy.

Would be great to see Flash terrorising opposition defenders again.

I think the conditioning that Davey has been in need of for the past three (at least) seasons, has been mental conditioning... and if training reports are anything to go by, it would appear that Craig and Neeld have been managing that very well and he is regaining his confidence of old... of course Misson et al have to take a lot of credit as well, because no doubt there was a direct link between his physical condition and mental state.

Didn't Davey originally go to Mifsud to complain.......

And didn't Davey deny that?

Regardless, it would appear that Davey is taking a more serious approach this pre-season, so what is the point of dredging up last year's "news"?

• Like 1

And didn't Davey deny that?

Regardless, it would appear that Davey is taking a more serious approach this pre-season, so what is the point of dredging up last year's "news"?

Davey complained about the physical work so it counters the convenient its all a mental thing over the past 3 years excuse.

And i agree Davey is taking a more positive approach to training. Lets hope he replicates on the field

And i agree Davey is taking a more positive approach to training. Lets hope he replicates on the field

I agree RR that Davey is not in our starting 22. He looks great at three quarter pace in our training drills where he knows he won't get too much body contact but when the real stuff starts I doubt he can replicate. I think if he has a role it maybe as a sub where the heat has gone out of the game.

Davey complained about the physical work so it counters the convenient its all a mental thing over the past 3 years excuse.

That wasn't the point I was making... I was actually referring to the fact that he had suffered a few injuries and was physically not as capable as he had been in previous years, something that was connected to his mental state in that his confidence and general demeanor were probably at an all time low.

Edited by hardtack

That wasn't the point I was making... I was actually referring to the fact that he had suffered a few injuries and was physically not as capable as he had been in previous years, something that was connected to his mental state in that his confidence and general demeanor were probably at an all time low.

You forgot to mention ducking his head, or did that have something to do with his mental state.