• Podcast:     

• Podcast:     

Remember this game....

That game was the biggest roller-coaster I've ever attended. I never recovered from this loss. It was the best game I saw a Melbourne player play in the flesh (Travis). I lost my sh*t in the carpark after this game. I lost all hope that night. There have been more important games in my time, but this one affected me the most for some reason.

• Like 2

It was like an acid trip, it started slow...it then had a massive peak...but the come down was very harsh.

Never forget that night. Love ND & i hope he is invited to Demon functions over time.

But his coaching reign should have ended after that game. We were so bad & so good in 2 hours.

Such talent that wasn't focused.

• Like 2

Re-watching this now. It was heartbreaking. I miss watching a decent Melbourne side play football. Here's hoping 2013 we become a more cohesive bunch. It's been unenjoyable and embarrassing watching our team play for years now :(

• Like 2

Strangely I rate this as the best game of AFL I have ever witnessed. And we lost ( weird I know)

I was there during both recent Preliminary wins (88 & 2000). This game just had something extra magic going on.

That magic was called Travis Johnstone. If only he was able to deliver on his talent consistently surely we would of snagged that elusive 13th Flag.

The atmosphere there during the 2nd & 3rd quarters was insane.

The total shock at 1/4 time and after the game was also insane.

No doubt Powell getting injured was the momentuem crusher.

I also will never forget that night @ The G, still haunts me to this day.

We are so overdue to see the Red & Blue deliver some decent Footy once more, hoping 2013 is the turning point.

Edited by Old Man Rivers
  • Like 2

It was like an acid trip, it started slow...it then had a massive peak...but the come down was very harsh.

Never forget that night. Love ND & i hope he is invited to Demon functions over time.

But his coaching reign should have ended after that game. We were so bad & so good in 2 hours.

Such talent that wasn't focused.

Agree - should have seen the writing on the wall after a losing the big one in 2000....failed to heed alarm bells.

Remember being at the game, was definitely a wild night. We had some Crows supporter sitting behind us and every time they kicked a goal in the first he would say "ooohhhhhhhhhhh yyesssssssssssssss". Then came the fight back. When Vardy slotted that goal from the left flank, the Crows supporter lost his [censored] "he never did that for us"!!!! But alas, we came to a stand still, remember looking at the huddle at 3/4 time thinking they looked stuffed. Ah well :(

Was only last week i watched the Melbourne V Kangaroos 2000 PF on name-a-game. Man, we had some good players in that team, underrated by many in the AFL, but many underrated by our very own. We played on at all costs, we ran, but we also kicked the ball long backing our pillars in Neita and Schwartz, then the Wiz was there to crumb (kicked seven that night). Our midfield was dynamic, and we haven't had a CHB as good as Ingerson since (i count Frawley as our FB). The run from defense was fantastic and we never went sideways or backwards in our defensive part of the ground.

There is only one better feeling than knowing for all of the second half that your team will be playing in the grand final, alas it didn't come the next week, and it doesn't look like it will be coming any time soon :(

• Like 1

Went with 84 year old father and 12 year old son.

Could hardly speak for days as voice gone.

I always had that awful feeling that if Trapper wanted to he could have played like this whenever he wanted to.

Was one of the most intriguing games I have ever seen and as unlikely a win it would (and perhaps should) have been as when Wiz took Collingwood apart in the second half at the G kicking 9 when he was only brought back on as Ben Beames broke his wrist.

That third quarter was one of the best I've ever seen by a Melbourne team. I was devastated after the game.

Never forgave Daniher for this loss.....

He had Darren Jolly sitting on the bench for 25 minutes of the last quarter while Adelaide were given free rein with their big men in the forward line. Bizzell was left trying to out mark and muscle the likes of Burton, Clarke and Biglands. We had dragged ourselves out of the poo in the 3rd. Even the most junior of coaches would have dropped a big man at CHB to stem the tide in the last, especially if you are 6 goals up in a final.

But he never had a Plan B.......

Is it just me, or are there others that can't see dazzledaveys post?

It's an embedded video - perhaps there's something in your settings?

But he never had a Plan B.......

It was a problem for a lot of his coaching career, wasn't it.

Often it seemed that the players were sent out to play - if it worked, we won but never really won well (save for some games in 98, 00 and one in 04) but if it didn't, we were totally outclassed or undone by a lack of match-day moves. 2004 elimination comes to mind.

• Like 1

Clint Bizzell at 11.30, what a star.

One of my faves too, CB.

My Geelong mates said he was soft and showy and boy were they wrong...

If you watch the entire game, you will see an in-tune JMac get a clearance during our domination, kick the wrong way, and an in-tune Bizzell just marked it next to his bloke and moved on.

Hope he comes to the footy, I understand he feels like a Demon, he certainly is in my eyes.

It's an embedded video - perhaps there's something in your settings?

It was a problem for a lot of his coaching career, wasn't it.

Often it seemed that the players were sent out to play - if it worked, we won but never really won well (save for some games in 98, 00 and one in 04) but if it didn't, we were totally outclassed or undone by a lack of match-day moves. 2004 elimination comes to mind.

It's called the "downhill skier gameplan". You could have been writing about Bailey's coaching, too (apart from the reference to playing in a Final).

One of my faves too, CB.

My Geelong mates said he was soft and showy and boy were they wrong...

If you watch the entire game, you will see an in-tune JMac get a clearance during our domination, kick the wrong way, and an in-tune Bizzell just marked it next to his bloke and moved on.

Hope he comes to the footy, I understand he feels like a Demon, he certainly is in my eyes.

I saw CB at the AGM the week before last.

That game was the biggest roller-coaster I've ever attended. I never recovered from this loss. It was the best game I saw a Melbourne player play in the flesh (Travis). I lost my sh*t in the carpark after this game. I lost all hope that night. There have been more important games in my time, but this one affected me the most for some reason.

Oh, yes. It took me a while. I was away on holidays at the time. And I very nearly became the first person in history to embed a bottle top in the tv screen in frustration.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.