"Tanking"

Whispering_Jack

Mate..I like a lot of your work but right here you ( for mine ) highlight that which many just dont/wont get.

You CAN NOT just move on. There are consequences in exactly teh manner Ted and others are trying to show. The club would be eternally branded...not as Demons...but as Tankers.

You cant be a little bit dead, pregnant or Tankers. You are or youre not.

We cant afford to be. its really as simple as that.

All right.

Let me put it another way.

Forget Eddie and all the rest.

Why should we roll over on this?

Why should we not fight tooth and nail to clear our name?

PS. "Scot-free?" Mind boggling.

I understand the sentiment and don't doubt you guys think fighting this is in the best long term interests of the club. However I just don't think being branded "tankers" will stick first of all (assuming the charges are as light as it seems they may be) and second of all I don't think it will be as detrimental as you do. I dont believe for a second or will negatively impact our ability to land sponsors; what may is a protracted court case costing is hundreds of thousands if not millions in fees, salaries and bad publicity.

Sometimes you have to be pragmatic about these things. I won't be happy if we are the only club to get stung on this when others were blatantly doing it but the fact is we were the ones who, for whatever reason, got caught with our hands in the cookie jar. It's not fair but prolonging this by taking it to court, airing dirty laundry, negative publicity with the chance for the media to keep sticking their boots in again and again, legal fees and court costs plus the possibility of getting an even harsher penalty at the end of it all is just too much to gamble. I'm not too worried about others perceptions of us lets just focus on the footy instead of being about "anything but" as Malthouse indicated Neeld commented upon arrival here. Lets just let Neeld the new FD and players who have nothing to do with 2009 get on with doing what they're paid to do.

That's my opinion on it and what I think is in the best long term interests of the MFC.

• Like 2

I suspect well know soon enough. AFL bound to have presser to open the nab. Id expect that to be THE moment.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/time-to-dock-points-not-draft-picks/story-e6frf9jf-1226575721295

Michelangelo Rucci. February 12, 201312:00AM

The AFL - and the game of Australian football - is better served by keeping Melbourne competitive but without reward for its on-field victories. That is, have the Demons stripped of 20 premiership points this season, 16 in 2014, eight in 2015 and four in 2016.

And when it comes to the settling the annual draft order, Melbourne should be ranked by its wins rather than its premiership points to ensure the Demons are not rewarded with a string of No. 1 draft picks should they finish last of 18.

No AFL club has ever been stripped of its premiership points.

The shame of being the first would hurt Melbourne, the game's oldest club.

As for any club official proved to have orchestrated this form of match-fixing - to secure a prime draft pick and Tom Scully in 2009 - the penalty clearly has to be a life ban from all football.

More Media Crap

If Melbourne is found Guilty "though I dont know on what grounds ? " Is the AFL going to punish all those players who werent even involved with the MFC at that time as well as the coaches and the rest of the Club let alone its supporters ???

He wants to take 5 wins of us this season 4 wins next year and 2 wins the year after that and one last penalty of 1 game in 2016

Are they for REAL ???

Surely not much longer for an announcement given there are games tonight.

They might not want the announcement to overshadow the games

Guest José Mourinho

rpfc's guess:

Bailey, Schwab no charge.

Connolly apology about language used. No fine or suspension.

MFC mea culpa on Connolly's words - bad image and all that. No fine.

AFL delicately worded phrase on their own culpability in this, and even more delicate words on their being no case to answer for the club but for unfortunate words at an in-house meeting.

CW apoplectic.

I think you could be correct, but I also think we are very likely overestimating the AFL's focus on CC's comments.

I'd guess they are a minor facet of the investigation and will barely rate a mention when the final verdict is given.

Is it wrong that the thought of CW apoplectic makes me smile and feel a warmth in the pit of my stomach..?

• Like 1

Guest José Mourinho

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/time-to-dock-points-not-draft-picks/story-e6frf9jf-1226575721295

More Media Crap

If Melbourne is found Guilty "though I dont know on what grounds ? " Is the AFL going to punish all those players who werent even involved with the MFC at that time as well as the coaches and the rest of the Club let alone its supporters ???

He wants to take 5 wins of us this season 4 wins next year and 2 wins the year after that and one last penalty of 1 game in 2016

Are they for REAL ???

Old "news."

Rucci is a second rate "journalist" from the Caroline Wilson School of Shoddy Journalism, albeit one who is also desperate to be recognised outside of Adelaide.

Not worth dignifying with a response.

• Like 1

The AFL - and the game of Australian football - is better served by keeping Melbourne competitive but without reward for its on-field victories. That is, have the Demons stripped of 20 premiership points this season, 16 in 2014, eight in 2015 and four in 2016.

And when it comes to the settling the annual draft order, Melbourne should be ranked by its wins rather than its premiership points to ensure the Demons are not rewarded with a string of No. 1 draft picks should they finish last of 18.

No AFL club has ever been stripped of its premiership points.

The shame of being the first would hurt Melbourne, the game's oldest club.

As for any club official proved to have orchestrated this form of match-fixing - to secure a prime draft pick and Tom Scully in 2009 - the penalty clearly has to be a life ban from all football.

More Media Crap

Are they for REAL ???

LOL taking points off the tankers? Gee whats going to happen? oh wait, more #1 draft picks when we go into negative points on the ladder. Even GWS cant even out tank that.

What a fool...

Guest José Mourinho

Probably worth reading the article before responding to it, since he recommends our points being reinstated when deciding draft positioning...

On 2nd thought, just ignore anything written by Rucci altogether in the future.

Old "news."

Rucci is a second rate "journalist" from the Caroline Wilson School of Shoddy Journalism, albeit one who is also desperate to be recognised outside of Adelaide.

Not worth dignifying with a response.

The difference being that Rucci was clearly not being serious while Wilson really thinks she's being serious.

Only just got to see the shrew on Footy Classified. Now let me see if I have got this right. This Dowager of Armadale says that DM is wrong in his media release, because she never said that what she wrote formed the MFC's official response, but rather, what she cited was an "unofficial" defence, which she has come to know, due to the "people" she speaks to at the Club.

When challenged by Garry Lyon, as to why she didn't address the "official" response, she turns to the weak kneed defence, that GL has no credibility on this issue, because he is too close to the Club. Simply breathtaking logic.

Also, I must say I took some comfort from Gillon McLachlan's statement, which was part of a clip they played on FC, that the AFL did not want this difficult issue to be played out in the media.

Only just got to see the shrew on Footy Classified. Now let me see if I have got this right. This Dowager of Armadale says that DM is wrong in his media release, because she never said that what she wrote formed the MFC's official response, but rather, what she cited was an "unofficial" defence, which she has come to know, due to the "people" she speaks to at the Club.

When challenged by Garry Lyon, as to why she didn't address the "official" response, she turns to the weak kneed defence, that GL has no credibility on this issue, because he is too close to the Club. Simply breathtaking logic.

Also, I must say I took some comfort from Gillon McLachlan's statement, which was part of a clip they played on FC, that the AFL did not want this difficult issue to be played out in the media.

thats about it..lol

Im sure the irony is totally lost on the Straw-Woman !!

yay..

Mark Stevens@Stevo7AFL

Do not expect any Demons tanking announcement today .. Will roll into another week

Thats a disgrace.

I suspect well know soon enough. AFL bound to have presser to open the nab. Id expect that to be THE moment.

Yeah right, NAB would be REALLY happy with that. The launch of their sponsored competition sullied with a presser about tanking.

Didn't really think that one through BB.

It's pretty obvious the AFL need to be focused on the sport itself not anymore negativity. After the past week or so it's had the "tanking" saga is an issue the AFL would prefer to ignore regardless the outcome for now....... So we wait another week

yay..

Mark Stevens@Stevo7AFL

Do not expect any Demons tanking announcement today .. Will roll into another week

He's usually wrong. Don't lose hope just yet..