Dean Bailey speaks out about tanking

Demonsterative

Dean Bailey.

One of the only people who would go through all that he did and still say this.

I always liked DB, what's done is done and I really like MN too. Unlike some recent people on DL I'll never compare the two.

Long story short - if I ever see Dean Bailey at a pub I'd buy him a pint... And I'm pretty stingy with my money.

well said PJ.
  • Like 2

It is a far more sensible response than when you tried to justify the sacking of Bailey by phone call. It was a putrid act.

And he has shown himself above alot of the cheap barbs thrown at him.

Sensible words Jack. But as usual it will be missed where its badly needed most.

Don't bring Jim Stynes into this Rhino....Just don't.

If there is breaking news on a topic that inhabits an existing long thread I think there is value in it being posted in a new thread. Some readers may have given up following the often repetitive posts in the original thread and may miss the new development.

The trick is to avoid the 'breaking news' thread from becoming a new place to post on the topic (or even to stop it becoming a place to post opinions about thread management...)

Yeah, I agree with you. I never check the tanking thread. Since a lot of it is just speculation of what might happen etc. But if something new happens I like seeing a thread about it to give an update.

• Like 2

I liked the line about the way the investigation has been conducted. It has been a disgrace. Full stop.

Wouldn't stand up in any court in the land. Maybe the AFL has done it that way on purpose, Who knows. But it is becoming more obvious that f charges are set against anyone it will be a dragged out affair. The AFL won't wont that. They will lose control of the matter.

They presently control it which they like to do. Once its out of their control who knows where the witch hunt will lead. My guess it would be ugly.

Interesting that Robert Smerdon, racehorse trainer, who has been charged by the Stewards, with handing a bag of money to Damien Oliver, has threatened through his lawyer to sue for defamation. One of the things that his lawyer said is that while Smerdon has been charged, the person who handed him the bag has not. The lawyer is also furious that the case has been delayed by the xmas break immediately after the charges were laid.

Interesting parallel with the MFC being part of an Inquisition by the AFL, while other clubs with participants making admissions are totally ignored.

Does saying you did the best thing by your club, equate to an admission of tanking?

Demetriou is on record as saying that losing is the worst thing for any club and that draft picks never guarantee success.

Maybe Bailey should threaten defamation proceedings.

• Like 1

Maybe I missed it, but I'm surprised there seems to be no discussion of the significance of the timing of Bailey's lawyer coming out with that statement yesterday, the day the world and the Demons were to end. Does this mean he knows he is to be charged, or what?

I don't share Whispering's sentiments, or the Bailey love in general. He was a crap coach and unnecessarily put the club in the line of fire during his final press conference. The club was also hopeless with how they handled that press conference. Bailey could have been completely dismissive of Mark Robinson's questions and he chose not to be, which is why his answers get reported on the news to this day.

He may have put the club first during his four years, but I expect nothing less from a senior coach.

• Like 2

Maybe Bailey should threaten defamation proceedings.
Thankfully, I know nothing about the shenanigans that go on in horse racing but I'm aware that since much of that sport is connected with the gambling that's part and parcel of the racing industry, there's always been a level of dishonesty and corruption associated with it (and that's not necessarily a comment on Mr. Smerdon and the bag of money story).

Sadly, the AFL in paying lip service to the interests of the gambling element that's taken growth in our game, has gone down the slippery slope of conducting a discriminatory, gutter level inquisition into one club that is going to turn the sport into a laughing stock.

It took the AFL no less than 5½ months at great expense to carry it out but 15 minutes to quiz Tony Liberatore when he alleged tanking and probably no more time to deal with Paul Roos' "joking" that a player shouldn't be kicking goals in a NAB Cup game.

Why for instance, should Dean Bailey have to engage a lawyer (most of us are expensive) to defend himself when he's been through this before while Terry Wallace whose own words are tantamount to an admission of the breach of the AFL's rules and Brett Ratten most of whose six games at the end of 2007 as coach were far more questionable, are left untouched?

I hope the AFL does the right thing out of this and reimburses Bailey (and the MFC for that matter) his legal expenses at the end of all this.

• Like 6

I don't share Whispering's sentiments, or the Bailey love in general. He was a crap coach and unnecessarily put the club in the line of fire during his final press conference. The club was also hopeless with how they handled that press conference. Bailey could have been completely dismissive of Mark Robinson's questions and he chose not to be, which is why his answers get reported on the news to this day.

He may have put the club first during his four years, but I expect nothing less from a senior coach.

I share your sentiments, maybe not to the extent of your beliefs, but while I thought Dean was hard done by during his tenure in terms of perhaps being in a difficult position, I certainly think the club handled his sacking and the following press conference in an amateur way. IMO that lead to Bailey responding to that question in such an open manner.

Both parties made mistakes that week and over the journey. It's why we're where we are today. The good news I feel is that I can't see anyway the AFL can prove tanking if Dean denies it.

Agree. I reckon is biggest mistake was trying to build an anti-management clique within the player group. Bad managers often bind people to them rather than the organisation.

As I said earlier, a failed power-player.

My views on Bailey's coaching whilst at the club are well known.

On his conduct after he was sacked (and while I agree he had to go, it wasn't handled well), perhaps he was just being honest?

And just remember, it may well be the acceptance of his honesty and integrity that determines the outcome of this entire tanking shambles.

Maybe I missed it, but I'm surprised there seems to be no discussion of the significance of the timing of Bailey's lawyer coming out with that statement yesterday, the day the world and the Demons were to end. Does this mean he knows he is to be charged, or what?

you would think that would be the case sue, i thought the same way.

I share your sentiments, maybe not to the extent of your beliefs, but while I thought Dean was hard done by during his tenure in terms of perhaps being in a difficult position, I certainly think the club handled his sacking and the following press conference in an amateur way. IMO that lead to Bailey responding to that question in such an open manner.

Both parties made mistakes that week and over the journey. It's why we're where we are today. The good news I feel is that I can't see anyway the AFL can prove tanking if Dean denies it.

Brian Cook would handle it better, we desperately need a change at the top.

Id say he was just shoring up his defences. Best defence is an attack.

Its what all parties ought to be doing is lining up the armory(s) . The AFL has line up its proponents and ammo ( or what it thinks is so ) and the only logical reaction is to line up yours.

result. standoff/stalemate. All walk away

What a ridiculous statement if you dot mind me saying. You have NO idea how someone else will handle something unless there is ACTUAL history of an event and actions. Youre guessing.

You may have an opinion to the management of the club and this colours your ability to see things for what they are it seems. The club has done valiantly in my opinion to be able to play this game of loaded chess.

• Like 1

What a ridiculous statement if you dot mind me saying. You have NO idea how someone else will handle something unless there is ACTUAL history of an event and actions. Youre guessing.

You may have an opinion to the management of the club and this colours your ability to see things for what they are it seems. The club has done valiantly in my opinion to be able to play this game of loaded chess.

Well we know how CS handles his business, are you for real, im seeing things for what they are, 1 club under investigation out of 18, whoever was in charge at Blues at the time of there indiscrections must be sitting back pissing there pants through laughter, the only thing loaded at the moment is a gun and its pointed at the MFC

Id say he was just shoring up his defences. Best defence is an attack.

Its what all parties ought to be doing is lining up the armory(s) . The AFL has line up its proponents and ammo ( or what it thinks is so ) and the only logical reaction is to line up yours.

result. standoff/stalemate. All walk away

Probably, but I'm mystified that he would wait till the day the evidence/report was to go to the MFC. Why not do it earlier so as to influence that report? Is it not better to get the AFL to back down a bit before they commit themselves?

That stupid comment sums up in many ways why the club is in its current predicament.

The sacking of Bailey was carried out by the Board and not by the CEO and therefore the question as to whether Brian Cook could have handled it better is moot.

However, there have always been snipers around the club who take every opportunity to take aim at Cameron Schwab in an effort to bring him down. Many people have pointed to McLean's appearance on Foxtel that night as having been set up by those who wanted to prevent the club from extending his contract. Indeed, that programme was barely over when snide comments about him were posted on this site.*

Those with vendettas against individuals involved at the club would be well advised to shut their traps.

You, mjt are just stupid.

* Posted by america de cali at 30 July 2012 - 10:37 PM

About time those whose name start with C fall on their swords and resign from the club.

• Like 2

Well we know how CS handles his business, are you for real, im seeing things for what they are, 1 club under investigation out of 18, whoever was in charge at Blues at the time of there indiscrections must be sitting back pissing there pants through laughter, the only thing loaded at the moment is a gun and its pointed at the MFC

On the contrary. I think that person and other who were in charge at other clubs during said periods, would be rather concerned about the outcome of the MFC investigation.

That stupid comment sums up in many ways why the club is in its current predicament. The sacking of Bailey was carried out by the Board and not by the CEO and therefore the question as to whether Brian Cook could have handled it better is moot. However, there have always been snipers around the club who take every opportunity to take aim at Cameron Schwab in an effort to bring him down. Many people have pointed to McLean's appearance on Foxtel that night as having been set up by those who wanted to prevent the club from extending his contract. Indeed, that programme was barely over when snide comments about him were posted on this site. Those with vendettas against individuals involved at the club would be well advised to [censored] their traps. You, mjt are just stupid.

Its an opinion dropkick deal with it, thats what forums are for.

Bailey would have quite possibly received the 'evidence/report' (or his part of it) at the same time as our club . It seems his Lawyer may have spoken out because of the content of what has been sent to Dean .

Only guessing here by the way, but it sounds like the 'possible' accusations could involve some points which (in turn) has caused Dean's lawyer to come out on the front foot . To do so in such a public way says to me that Dean is quite ticked off .

In a lot of ways we really need Bailey in our court right now . By endeavoring to clear his own name he helps our cause enormously . He is an unlikely ally but an ally all the same . He was our coach and if we go down, he probably goes down . If he is absolved of any charges then we may stand a good chance of being absolved of all charges as well .

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

Bailey would have quite possibly got the 'evidence/report' (or his part of it) at the same time as our club . Seems like he's enlisted his Lawyer because of what's been sent to him .

Only guessing here by the way, but it sounds like the 'possible' charges involve some fairly damning accusations and Dean's lawyer has come out on the front foot in retaliation . To do so in a public way says to me that Dean is quite ticked off .

In a lot of ways we really need Bailey in our court right now . By endeavoring to clear his own name he helps our cause enormously . He is unlikely ally but an ally all the same . He was our coach and if we go down, he probably goes down . If he is absolved of any charges then we'll have a good chance of being absolved of all charges as well .

Most sensible post in this whole thread. Nice one.