Demon days from go to doze

Whispering_Jack

The most positive aspect of that article is quote from Shannon Byrnes, a guy that played in a premiership saying we are heading the right direction

that's music to my ear

Agreed - but also, reading an article like this, only brings home how much work goes on behind closed doors, and how little we really know/see of the players.

• Like 2

Great insight to how much analysis is done.

The footy dept know these guys inside and out. Most if us here are just guessing and reflecting on what we see game day without knowing their roles on the day.

It feels like we are finally in safe hands altho still want to see it translated onto the field in a real battle.

The most positive aspect of that article is quote from Shannon Byrnes, a guy that played in a premiership saying we are heading the right direction

that's music to my ear

I don't really think he is going to come out and say anything else, but it's a nice change to read such a positive article. It's also really pleasing that this sounds like the most rigorous and professional program we have had in a long time (that I have heard of).

Really hanging out for the start of the season.

Edited by the passenger

Guest Fletch

that's music to my ear

Agree with you 7-UP. A ringing endorsement from a guy who just spent ten years at the best run club in the country.

Cripes, an Age journalist who actually reports fact - Demon days from go to doze .

Well done Emma Quayle.

The chief football writer's position awaits you!

Ive heard alot about these 45 minute naps.

Apparently its the perfect time where your body doesnt over sleep (in terms of naps).

I tried it out the other day (litterally have too much time on my hands... need to get another job) and it wasnt too bad

Some people live by the rule that for every 4 hours they are awake they have a 45 minute nap.

Ive heard alot about these 45 minute naps.

Apparently its the perfect time where your body doesnt over sleep (in terms of naps).

I tried it out the other day (litterally have too much time on my hands... need to get another job) and it wasnt too bad

Some people live by the rule that for every 4 hours they are awake they have a 45 minute nap.

the old Nanna Nap....

Agreed - but also, reading an article like this, only brings home how much work goes on behind closed doors, and how little we really know/see of the players.

I have never contacted a journo before, but emailed Emma Quayle today to express the sentiments above and to say how nice it was to read an article about the MFC that was free of politics and personal agendas

• Like 4

Emma Quayle writes from a completely different perspective than that of Kerowhine. She clearly loves football as opposed to Wilson who barely tolerates or understands the game. Kudos to the MFC for allowing the AGE into the inner sanctum. They had every right to tell them to get stuffed, instead they took the higher road and as such a wonderful positive piece of writing has been the result. It speaks volumes of the Clubs regard for Quayle as a journalist and also has me wondering if this is an attempt by the AGE to rectify past wrongs, or at least an attempt to start to balance the ledger.

• Like 2

It's an insightful article, but I give more credit to the club than the journalist.

The author is simply relaying what she's been exposed to by a very generous MFC.

I agree that it's to the credit of the club but it's a pleasure to read because the author is actually doing her job. Telling the story without pushing her own agenda by introducing irrelevant asides which might reveal her prejudices about the subject she's covering.

Quite refreshing when compared with some of the garbage we get to read from others who write for that organisation.

• Like 1

I've been on a high all day since reading the article. Great stuff and most reassuring that we have joined the ranks of the professionals in the AFL.

• Like 2

I agree that it's to the credit of the club but it's a pleasure to read because the author is actually doing her job. Telling the story without pushing her own agenda by introducing irrelevant asides which might reveal her prejudices about the subject she's covering.

Quite refreshing when compared with some of the garbage we get to read from others who write for that organisation.

Agreed. I don't need to read an article about something or other and have to put up with the claim that a particular club is supposed to have forfeited games or, when its about a Kangaroos player for it to mention that he plays for "cash strapped North Melbourne" or in the case of Dane Swan that he's been "associated with drinking and drug use". As long as Wilson does this however, every time she gets mentioned on Demonland we should add an aside that it's been alleged that she's a pretty arrogant and average human being who claimed to have bonked an international golfer in her younger days".

Anyway, I've digressed. Congratulations to Emma Quayle - you write beautifully and I enjoy your work.

• Like 1

It's an insightful article, but I give more credit to the club than the journalist.

The author is simply relaying what she's been exposed to by a very generous MFC.

a good journalist like Quayle or Flanagan will write it properly though so the reader is also there. Goes on the journey.....
  • Like 2

a good journalist like Quayle or Flanagan will write it properly though so the reader is also there. Goes on the journey.....

Notwithstanding Wilson, I expect nothing less from a senior sport's journalist.

I think the plaudits for Emma are a little over the top, but in part it's due to an industry that's let its standards drop. When the Herald Sun appoint a journalist to the head football role who can barely speak the Queen's English and regularly uses the term "youse" you know it's an industry in trouble.

• Like 1

Notwithstanding Wilson, I expect nothing less from a senior sport's journalist.

I think the plaudits for Emma are a little over the top, but in part it's due to an industry that's let its standards drop. When the Herald Sun appoint a journalist to the head football role who can barely speak the Queen's English and regularly uses the term "youse" you know it's an industry in trouble.

i agree, the days of Alf Brown & Percy Beames are long gone.

Robinson i find offensive in print or on radio.

He is a sloth.

Emma Quayle isnot the greatest writer, but she has an energy. She does live the story for the full day.

As I put in another thread does Neeldy say to the boys ok off to sleep now, lights out then in 45 minutes he comes in and says wakey wakey.

Its actually interesting and shows just how much Neeldy and co plan everything and I doubt Dean ever came up with these strategies.

Or maybe more like the drill sargeant from "Full Metal Jacket"

Wonder which would get the best performance out of the student??