Who would you select with our 1st Pick in the rookie draft?

MadAsHell

Rookie Draft Selection  

138 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Assuming the FD believe they can work with Gartlett, he would appear to have more upside potential than Magner and Couch. The test is whether, with our expanded player development program and resources, we can get the best out of a player with the issues Dayle appears to have.

Assuming the FD believe they can work with Gartlett, he would appear to have more upside potential than Magner and Couch. The test is whether, with our expanded player development program and resources, we can get the best out of a player with the issues Dayle appears to have.

A challenge we should take up.

The upside is huge.

All he needs to do is handle the training.

There's a lot more to it than that.

A lot more.

We're building an elite performance culture and there is nothing about Garlett that appears to fit with this. Why risk throwing away all of our work during the draft/trade period on a player that is capable of @#%*ing it all up? If Sydney don't think he's worth the risk, why would we?

Because Sydney don't think his worth it doesn't mean we should copy what they think.

We will never win a premiership that way, we need to be able to do what the other 17 clubs can't do to get ahead of them and a good place would be to groom Garlett into a professional AFL athlete.

Because Sydney don't think his worth it doesn't mean we should copy what they think.

We will never win a premiership that way, we need to be able to do what the other 17 clubs can't do to get ahead of them and a good place would be to groom Garlett into a professional AFL athlete.

How about we worry about grooming the talent we do have?

How about we worry about grooming the talent we do have?

I thought you had me on ignore.

Nonetheless I don't think 1 player out of 40 can hurt our culture, and if 1 new 18 yr old recruit can hurt the culture of a whole club then our culture must be really really [censored].

We can groom him with the others.

I'm coming around to the idea of the club taking a punt on Garlett.

The reality of our situation (finished 16th in 2012) is we need to make up ground on other clubs as rapidly as is possible, we are not Sydney (reigning premiers) nor should we only look to replicate what other have done. If not Garlett, I hope the club views the rookie draft as an opportunity to risk some investment in players with serious upside that don't fit the standard development model.

Most of our draft and trade action has been considered, and conservative, which I liked, and the list changes have been awesome. However, I hope we are looking for bolts from the blue when it comes to the rookie draft. Keen to see some medium risk, no cost (draft or trade wise) and high potential players come in next to Magner and Couch...

14 clubs said no time straight up for any pick i believe..... odds are we are one of the remaining 4 tbh.....

He could really be a Cancer within a changeroom, if you reinterview the kid and you think he can commit and get over the issues then yeah its an easy one, but nobody right now can say what he will do

There's a lot more to it than that.

A lot more.

We're building an elite performance culture and there is nothing about Garlett that appears to fit with this. Why risk throwing away all of our work during the draft/trade period on a player that is capable of @#%*ing it all up? If Sydney don't think he's worth the risk, why would we?

http://instagram.com/p/PFDW0ZtJ4x/

I'm sorry, you can have an opinion either way on this but to state that you wouldn't buy a membership based on the club making a strategic decision on one player is pathetic.

I'll tell you what's pathetic, the football we've delivered for the last half a decade. I've been a member for a lot of years, most of them a simple red and blue 11 game member, but when Jimmy started debt demolition I seriously increased my yearly spend on this footy club. I've waited 40 years for a flag and my patience is wearing very thin.

Neeld has my complete support for his attempt to turnaround our culture, but if he gives up a year of hard work, a year where senior players were put in their place for the first time in my living memory to pick up a kid who does't meet the benchmarks Neeld himself has set, I'll walk. You can't espouse these high ideals and not back them up through action. The club has set benchmarks, they must now live by them, otherwise it's meaningless.

I'll tell you something else that's pathetic, my support for this basket case of a club. It's all in the pursuit of some vain glory where I can brag about my club for a few months after we win a flag. The money I spend on this club could save 250+ human lives each and every year if I gave it to Medecines Sans Frontiers, but I really want to see a Melbourne player hold aloft a premiership cup in my life time. Now that is pathetic, vain, cruel, and selfish, but for now I'll keep doing it even though I can barely justify it to myself

My support of this club isn't unconditional, I have a tipping point. There are plenty of places where my money can do actual good, not just prop up the salaries of a bunch of overpaid, spoilt, egomaniacs who think they're special because they can play a bit of footy. Our senior players have had an overinflated opinion of themselves for decades now. Hollywood Boulevarde in the 80's and early 90's, the constant milking of every last cent from the salary cap while conducting contract negotiations through the media by nearly all our half decent players. It's gone on for years and not 1 of these guys has been a star, we haven't had one of them since Robbie Flower, a bloke who knocked back much higher offers from other clubs to stay in red and blue.

The players lost me a long time ago, I don't care about any of them. I care about the club, I care about the team as a whole, but individually these blokes mean nothing to me, flame away if that get's up your nose, I don't care what you think either.

No, it's just bluster.

You should know bluster, you're full of it. 11000 posts and about 3 of them meaningful, the rest are just echo's between you and Jose trying to convince each other all is fine in the MFC universe. Sorry to disappoint but I live in the real world and I stand by what I said, draft Garlett and I walk.

• Like 1

You should know bluster, you're full of it. 11000 posts and about 3 of them meaningful, the rest are just echo's between you and Jose trying to convince each other all is fine in the MFC universe. Sorry to disappoint but I live in the real world and I stand by what I said, draft Garlett and I walk.

Damn right I'm full of bluster!!

Seriously though, I am not the one who claimed he will not renew his membership should the club recruit a player.

I hear 'Tipping Point' so often on here lately.

Started with BH IIRC.

Now there's a 'Tipping Point'...

He is still a kid. Give him a bloody chance. He can play football as good as anyone. So what if he likes a googie.

Some of the best players I played with, actually, most of the team loved a good Saturday night out, leaving no-stone unturned.

Carey loved it. Ablett loved it, lots of freaks love it. So what. I care about watching good footy and winning games. We don't need a whole team of ploughmen blue collar workers.

We also need some magic.

The team has made an exception for Davey's lack of stamina, this is what I mean, we should take everyone on a case by case basis. Especially indiginous youth.

He might turn out as good as Cyril. We must take the chance.

• Like 2

He is off his face in that pic, and he is stupid enough to put it in the public forum and laugh about it no less...

No thank you...calquohon, nelson, atkins, bonnadio, herbert.

There are plenty of kids that are willing to sacrifice for the chance and garlett clearly isn't

have another look at him in a couple of years if and when he grows up

VOTED OTHER:

I believe the club will continue with the selection of mature aged talent.

Ben Ross (24 yo, 179 cm, current weight unknown), 2012 J.J. Liston Trophy recipient.

If they choose another younger bottom aged player I would be happy with Sam Colquhoun or Anthony Bonaddio. Personally I don't have time for Dayle Garlett, the interview below alone puts me right off.

I doubt we will use the 2 rookie selections by picking any mature aged players after all we do have Magner on our Rookie List

I think Neeld has addressed the void on our lack of mature aged players

I would be looking at a 200cm Ruckman with plenty of time to develop

I think Neeld would want players like Clark , Dawes etc to play KPF and not be forced to become Ruckman when it is better to develop Ruckman from the beginning

Spencer , Gawn and Jamar are our only 3 Ruckmen and not enough to last a whole season

I count Fitzpatrick as a Forward

I am anticipating we will be having a stand alone reserves team sooner rather than later which will avoid conflicting coaching and development goals

The extra $$$ is a small sacrifice on the benefits of everyone being on the same red and blue page

Seems to work out ok for Geelong and Collingwood so much so that most other victorian based teams are likely to follow suit

So who else do we pick ?

The dark horse for me and certainly no pun intended is the rapidly developing kid from South Adelaide

Emmanuel Irra who is originally from Uganda

There is no doubt he will get better and how much better is anyone's guess

Worth the punt IMO

• Like 1

You really should walk. You call yourself a realist? I call you a spoilt man who has probably always been given everything on a platter.

Anyone who knows anything about footy knows, that premierships are not that simple to get. It takes commitment, luck, no injuries etc...

I appreciate your angered over the lack of success however we are not the only ones who find us where we are now. All I can say is hang in there or **** off. We don't need ppl like you trying to preach your dissastification. We all know where we are at and we know where we need to be. I do agree with you on trusting Neeld however as that's all we can do.

I am a father of two whom takes my young children to the football and you know what? Yeah I get made, yeah I don't like the kids seeing this, but at the end of the day it's the MFC and we stick by them no matter what.

Through thick and thin I say but hey, that's just me!!!!!

Guest NoMoreMrNiceGuy

I'll tell you what's pathetic, the football we've delivered for the last half a decade. I've been a member for a lot of years, most of them a simple red and blue 11 game member, but when Jimmy started debt demolition I seriously increased my yearly spend on this footy club. I've waited 40 years for a flag and my patience is wearing very thin.

Neeld has my complete support for his attempt to turnaround our culture, but if he gives up a year of hard work, a year where senior players were put in their place for the first time in my living memory to pick up a kid who does't meet the benchmarks Neeld himself has set, I'll walk. You can't espouse these high ideals and not back them up through action. The club has set benchmarks, they must now live by them, otherwise it's meaningless.

I'll tell you something else that's pathetic, my support for this basket case of a club. It's all in the pursuit of some vain glory where I can brag about my club for a few months after we win a flag. The money I spend on this club could save 250+ human lives each and every year if I gave it to Medecines Sans Frontiers, but I really want to see a Melbourne player hold aloft a premiership cup in my life time. Now that is pathetic, vain, cruel, and selfish, but for now I'll keep doing it even though I can barely justify it to myself

My support of this club isn't unconditional, I have a tipping point. There are plenty of places where my money can do actual good, not just prop up the salaries of a bunch of overpaid, spoilt, egomaniacs who think they're special because they can play a bit of footy. Our senior players have had an overinflated opinion of themselves for decades now. Hollywood Boulevarde in the 80's and early 90's, the constant milking of every last cent from the salary cap while conducting contract negotiations through the media by nearly all our half decent players. It's gone on for years and not 1 of these guys has been a star, we haven't had one of them since Robbie Flower, a bloke who knocked back much higher offers from other clubs to stay in red and blue.

The players lost me a long time ago, I don't care about any of them. I care about the club, I care about the team as a whole, but individually these blokes mean nothing to me, flame away if that get's up your nose, I don't care what you think either.

Pfft ... what a drama queen.

Get this. Neeld's only 'benchmark' is to get this club winning games of bloody football. End of story.

Whatever he decides, we must back him in.

I agree with everything furious has to say about players being spoilt, overpaid, disloyal etc.

My money could be better spent feeding orphans or helping poverty.

There is no'tipping point" for me with regards to who we draft or why .

I simply like Garlett on exposed talent .

Smoking pot ,drinking beer etc is something kids do (especially in WA) and it is a bit rich to ask someone to be100% professional when they are not professional yet (ie signed ).

Buddy Franklin and this kid are no different in their behaviour from what I hear about Lance .

I doubt we will get DG because Neeld is a total square but I can see him being a massive star and a money-spinner for the club that takes the risk .

For those that say he isn't worth the risk I say we have nothing to lose .

Furious-again I totally agree with you on all these brats and I have little respect for any of them .

AAron Davey is eeking out a living for us with Fcuk All interest or hunger to win .(400k a year)

I bet Davey pulls his form together at the end of the year before he goes elsewhere.

I could write a long list of players with behavioural issues who won flags, Brownlows ,Colemans etc.

I'm over us paying top dollar for battlers with squeaky clean records .

If we do get him-which is unlikely ,I will pull my money from Amnesty International and give it to the MFC to cover your withdrawal.

^That post certainly moved quicker and in more directions than old Biffo did.

Soooo...... you want the brats on the list or off the list?

Edited by dandeeman

^That post certainly moved quicker and in more directions than old Biffo did.

Soooo...... you want the brats on the list or off the list?

I would happily take Buddy off Clarksons hands for him.

Garlett woud be like getting Cyril for free.